Fake Purple Days on Ebay - "Better Days"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwien

vapormonkey said:
Fake purple days? Isn't that a little like the Ruggles(Beatles tribute band) taking issue with other bands playing Beatle songs. For the record, the Purple Days itself is a copy of my friends original creation, the Eterra.

For the record, the PD is an IMPROVEMENT and an evolution of the Eterra design and not just a copy. This however, is not an attempt to improve anything, but rather just a direct copy of the PD, and an inferior one at that.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
You mean The Rutles. A satirical take off on the Beatles. The Better Days is to my knowledge not a satirical take off or even a tribute to the PD.

jeffp,

vapormonkey

OK fella's, would the PD exist today if the Eterra hadn't? Suppose it would have magically appeared?

Really? ;) It's a direct result via the Zap. Nothing to be ashamed of or hide from. I guess it's the defensiveness that I find so disconcerting.

vapormonkey,

lwien

vapormonkey said:
OK fella's, would the PD exist today if the Eterra hadn't? Suppose it would have magically appeared?

Really?

lol ;)

VM, if you can't comprehend the difference between an evolutionary product that improves upon the original design, versus a direct copy that improves nothing, but in fact, is an inferior copy, than any further discussion with you is pointless.

lwien,
? i agree schmokin kitty kat, stick with the big three log vape makers myrtle zap, wood ez, & purple dayz; better go with trusted quality than known prolblems with lying bad rep upstart like beta day

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
New to the forum and thought I should post my experience. Say what you will, I'm not a shill (that rhyme just happened, btw).

Like others in this thread I wanted to buy a PD but didn't want to wait. I found the BD on eBay and thought it was worth a shot. I Googled the name but didn't get any hits...maybe that was a sign? :/

I pulled the trigger, crossed my fingers, and ordered the BD. I paid an extra ten bucks for overnite shipping to have it in time for the weekend. It was only AFTER I made the payment that I found this thread, talk about instant buyers remorse!

So now I'm sitting here with mixed emotions: excited about receiving my new vape (got a tracking number a few minutes ago, we'll see...), and guilty about supporting someone who took a dishonest approach to marketing their product. Had I read this thread first, I probably would not have made the purchase, or if I had, would have done so against my better judgement.

At this point, the damage is done. The payment has been made, the item shipped (hopefully), now I can only wait and see what happens from here. I will post a followup when my BD arrives, and let you all know the rest of the story.

Now time to whip out my MFLB and drown my sorrows... :D

DaveWaves,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
don't feel bad about it. it will probably function OK since it's a proven design, albeit stolen. you'll probably amass a small collection of decent vaporizers along the way that you'll feel better about purchasing.

jeffp,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
Thanks for cheering me up. The MFLB helped alot, also. ;)

I spent alot of time the last couple of weeks looking at my options, and was torn between the PD and the EQV. I like the features and the versatility of the EQV, but chose the PD-style because of it's efficiency and appearance.

I'm sure everything has it's plusses and minuses, hopefully this "clone" will have more of the former than the latter.

DaveWaves,

lwien

I believe that there are some reports here of the wood cracking due to not being aged long enough so I'd contact the maker asap and make sure that you have some kind of recourse if something like this happens to yours.

lwien,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
So far so good as far as the shipping goes:

"Label/Receipt Number: EOXX XXXX 650U S
Guaranteed Delivery Date/Time: December 31, 2010, 3:00 PM
Class: Express Mail

Your item was accepted at 1:41 pm on December 30, 2010 in CHINO, CA 91708."

This makes me feel a little better, to know that SOMETHING is on it's way. To his credit, he shipped the item within a couple hours of my payment, and got me overnite delivery as requested. Again, not shilling here, just giving props for doing what he said.

Now to see what the product looks and works like, that will be the acid test. And I will take your advice lwien and ask about the wood being covered under the warranty, which he says is three years. Realistically I don't expect there to be support down the road if and when something breaks, so hopefully he copied enough of the PD that I'll get some value for what I paid.

DaveWaves,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
An update as promised:

Received the vape today, plugged it in and let it sit for an hour. Packed my first tube and let it rip, got a decent cloud, with minimal heat/irritation. Effects are similar to what I achieve with my other vape (MFLB) but more intense.

Heats up nicely and makes decent vapor, still learning the best way to control the intake.

The vapor tube does not mate as tightly as it could when placed into the heating tube, and this seems to allow extra unheated air to enter the draw. Thinking about adding a sleeve to the metal portion of the vapor tube, and maybe getting a Clear Dome piece to replace the plastic tube.

My loads come out light brown with some green left, so not sure if I'm getting the most out of them. Have been running them through my Launch Box and getting another puff or two.

Overall I am happy with the product, although the fit and finish are what would be expected from a knockoff. Inquired about the wood being covered in the warranty, awaiting a reply on that.

Gonna save my money and get on the list for a real PD next, looking forward to comparing the two.

Happy New Year!!! :D:peace:

DaveWaves,

lwien

DaveWaves said:
Again, not shilling here, just giving props for doing what he said.

Please don't worry about the shill thing Dave. I usually jump all over them when my shill radar gets activated, but right now, there's nothing around to activate her. No bogies, no blips. ;)

Regarding the mating of the bowl to the heat exchanger, by design, they are supposed to be loose to facilitate easy mating. They are lose on the PD as well.

The loads coming out a light brown with some green is a concern though. They should be coming out a very uniform darkish brown. The maker of this vape has been known to use green wood, so this may be the problem. I'd leave her up and running for a few weeks to see if she warms up but considering how shady this guy is, I do question his quality of work, so unlike the PD, I would not leave it on 24/7 unattended.

lwien,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
Thanks, kinda wierd coming on as a new poster about someone who has been tarred and feathered here. Just wanted to give my personal take on things.

Not gonna take a chance leaving it plugged in unattended, got a timer in place for that. The body does get warm to the touch, but certainly not to combustion levels.

Quite a neat design, hats off to the designers.

DaveWaves,

stinkmeaner

DaveWaves said:
The vapor tube does not mate as tightly as it could when placed into the heating tube, and this seems to allow extra unheated air to enter the draw. Thinking about adding a sleeve to the metal portion of the vapor tube,

Instead of a sleeve on the vapor tube, maybe use a piece of silicone tubing as a sleeve on the heater port like the Evolutions Vaporizer does. This should create an air tight seal.

evolutions-vaporizer.jpg

stinkmeaner,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
stinkmeaner said:
Instead of a sleeve on the vapor tube, maybe use a piece of silicone tubing as a sleeve on the heater port like the Evolutions Vaporizer does. This should create an air tight seal.

Thanks for the input, Stinkmeaner. I am leery of using plastic as I'm afraid it will melt or off-gas when placed into the heater port, but maybe a high-temp silicone piece like you suggest would do the trick. I thought a piece of stainless tubing between the size of the o.d. of the vapor tube and the i.d. of the heater port could fill the gap, guess I need to invest in a micrometer to figure out what I'm working with. I could even wrap it with tin foil, but I already have a history of Alzheimer's in my family, so am trying to stick with less-toxic materials these days. ;)

I understand the loose fit helping to facilitate the mating of the vapor tube to the heater port, and that a snug fit could cause difficulty inserting and removing the tube. But it seems to me that the excessive amount of play is allowing unheated air to be drawn in through the space, which is resulting in less than optimal draw temperature, and may be why the herb is not as "toasted" as it could be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting decent vapor clouds, but think they can be better. I'm going to do some experimenting today and see if I can make any improvements.

Happy New Year to everyone, thanks for this awesome forum, and for supporting me in my resolution to be smoke-free this year. :cool:

DaveWaves,

Ash

vaporist
That sounds like my PD ABV at first. I found that with leaving it on 24/7 it came up to full temp in about four weeks. Now it is quite dark and definitely no green.

Ash,

lwien

Ash said:
That sounds like my PD ABV at first. I found that with leaving it on 24/7 it came up to full temp in about four weeks. Now it is quite dark and definitely no green.

Yeah, but that's with cured wood. If this is the issue with his, it could take years. ;)

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien said:
Ash said:

Yeah, but that's with cured wood. If this is the issue with his, it could take years. ;)

Not analogous but this reminds me of some of the cheap Asian guitars such as the strat copies where intonation soon becomes impossible because the wood wasn't aged properly or at all.

001.jpg

jeffp,

DaveWaves

Vapor Noob
So here's the bottom line, and then I'll let this thread return to a quiet state:

I got it quick, it looks like a nice piece, it seems to work well, and the wood hasn't cracked or caught fire...yet. I ran it 24/7 over the weekend with no issues, and enjoyed having the ability to vape a tube on demand whenever the mood struck me.

I feel like I got my money's worth on this purchase, and learned a lesson about the importance of due diligence when making an online purchase. Thanks to all who gave their feedback. :peace:

DaveWaves,

pinoy

PACQUIAO!!!
The stem is suppose to be loose to allow air in, if it was airtight there would be no air circulation. My WDZ stems fit very loose. If I left it in and bumped my table, the stem would easily fall out.

pinoy,

MG23

Relaxin'
SmokingElectricity said:
has anyone even noticed he is no longer selling these on ebay. :/

Yeah, I had it on watch. Must not've been worth it for him anymore. Or FC scared him off...

MG23,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom