Ex-Microsoft manager works to create first US marijuana brand

Lak666

James Shively, a 45-year-old ex-corporate strategy manager at Microsoft, is working out plans for a national marijuana brand that he will sell at medical pot dispensaries in states where the drug is legal.
Full note here via Minds

What do you guys think about this?
Good quality bud? Sounds great but we already have that...
Big corporation minds on the bussiness? Sounds like big pharma would be thrilled...
Sounds a little fishy...

Lak666,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
From the article:
{“It’s a giant market in search of a brand,” he told Reuters. “We would be happy if we get 40 percent of it worldwide.”}

Ummm, no shit you'd like 40% of one of the biggest markets on the planet...

I'd be happy if I could get 0.0000070422535211% of it worldwide, by my calculations that's still $1million turnover :lol:

Adobewan

Chris Hayes quotes the former Microsoft manager in this vid stating the Marijuana industry "will be minting more millionaires than Microsoft."

http://pot.tv/video/2013/05/30/Marijuana-Has-NEVER-Killed-Single-Human-Being-History

I'm so encouraged it's finally happening but infuriated that we, who know cannabis so well, have been kept at bay from building business' around it without the Feds over our shoulders, but as soon as the prohibition profiteers find a way to make their money, they'll have the business model in place and it will be too late for us.

satyrday

I want there to be transparency as to how the marijuana is treated, i.e. pesticides and other chemicals that I don't want to inhale.

I also want there to be male and female plant material sold. I think it's important to have that balance available. Unfortunately it seems most consumers don't value the male plant, so it will be convenient for big business to selectively breed the females and keep their patented seeds close to the vest.

dorkus_molorkus

From the article:
{“It’s a giant market in search of a brand,” he told Reuters. “We would be happy if we get 40 percent of it worldwide.”}

Ummm, no shit you'd like 40% of one of the biggest markets on the planet...

I'd be happy if I could get 0.0000070422535211% of it worldwide, by my calculations that's still $1million turnover :lol:

you greedy corporate pig.:D
long live la revolution!:rockon:

Nooky72

Dog Marley
Acknowledge the corporate opportunist argument but as I live in the UK, where weed is illegal full stop, I would probably consider buying some 'Weed for Windows' as long as it didn't make me crash or left my server unable to respond.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I would probably consider buying some 'Weed for Windows' as long as it didn't make me crash or left my server unable to respond.
I like the stable "no crash" part. Its ok with me if the pain server doesn't respond, ever, and come to think of it some of the other "servers" as well . . . :haw:

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

clouded vision

I just want to be able to drop a seed next to my tomatoes and harvest the goodness for free, without fear of ending up in prison. That's all I ask. Fuck branding.

While in theory I completely agree with you, in practice I think that the involvement of big business in this case is beneficial to all. Without big business in our corner we remain a part of the counter-culture & the legalization process could take decades still. If big business starts to put up money to lobby for the legalization of cannabis, instead of against the way the tobacco, prison, pharmaceutical & alcohol lobbies have for years, The time until legalization will be significantly reduced. In light of that I feel the most likely scenario is the legalization of the possession & use but the strict regulation of the cultivation of cannabis similar to the way the hard liquor industry is regulated. This would be favorable to both big business as they would be able to capitalize on it & government as they would be able to tax it. Cannabis is called weed because that is exactly what it is & like any other weeds it can grow almost anywhere (proper cultivation obviously improves the product but anyone can grow it). If you allow anyone to grow it without regulation then government & business cannot make money so they have no incentive for legalization.

I think we all should be thankful that big business is in our corner, at least just until we get what we want, then it remains an uphill battle for the full legalization of cannabis, including the right to cultivate it.

Adobewan

@Clouded Vision, agreed on big business's potential positive involvement, as long as it is not at the exclusion of the small businessman.

I think it's inappropriate to label cannabis a weed because by definition it isn't one. A weed is a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.
Cannabis is certainly wanted!
Peace and happy weekend!

Adobewan,

clouded vision

I agree it is most definitely wanted, I guess I should have phrased it differently, basically I was saying it grows like a weed.

clouded vision,

Gunky

I prefer Ed Rosenthal's 'tomato' model. Tomatoes are produced in vast volume by big business. However there is also another market with local grown tomatoes sold from stands, and lots of people have their own tomato plants in the back yard. Room for everybody, from big biz to home gardener.

Top Bottom