dos equis

I just love how you can throw anything at this thing and it doesn't even flinch.

Got some soft most likely moroccan hash in it now, very spicy taste. It just keeps hitting, I don't even know how many hits it produced from that tiny load. This is the first time that the ABV-hash actually feels like it's all done. So glad I chose this unit cause this is gonna keep me happy for a while.

And thanks a lot to @ACE OF VAPE for contacting me even before I knew one of my parts has a defect, and shipping a replacement within a day for no charge.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
It's really really beautiful!!! Fits perfect & very snug on the Solo, and heavenly matched as well with my Nano! Thank you JoDa Glassworks, your work is pure genius!
bvSZftC.jpg

EDIT:
A few notes: The Nano basket screen goes in much more easily than into the stock Nano Gongs and stems; the 45 degree bend in the stem only requires a 6 inch snip off of a coat hanger with a little bend in it, covering the tip with a small wad of soft padding so as not to scratch the inner glass - can be pushed out and adjusted through the top or bottom of stem - simple and efficient; entry into the Solo heater bowl requires a bit of effort - it is a very snug secure fit that won't rotate or fall out; heavy glass stem build oozes quality through & through. I'll be needing a V&C Gong next!
JtDAmT3.jpg

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
It's really really beautiful!!! Fits perfect & very snug on the Solo, and heavenly matched as well with my Nano! Thank you JoDa Glassworks, your work is pure genius!
bvSZftC.jpg

EDIT:
A few notes: The Nano basket screen goes in much more easily than into the stock Nano Gongs and stems; the 45 degree bend in the stem only requires a 6 inch snip off of a coat hanger with a little bend in it, covering the tip with a small wad of soft padding so as not to scratch the inner glass - can be pushed out and adjusted through the top or bottom of stem - simple and efficient; entry into the Solo heater bowl requires a bit of effort - it is a very snug secure fit that won't rotate or fall out; heavy glass stem build oozes quality through & through. I'll be needing a V&C Gong next!
JtDAmT3.jpg

tumblr_l571slugxa1qc30fq.jpg

I like that.

herbivore21

@cawshook: Hxtal is what you need.

Everyone who owns glass should have some at home ready for those accidents where glass is involved.

Sure, it costs a bit of money to get at first, but it will last and the amount of disaster situations it will resolve will be well worth the $70 or so for a small kit.

I fixed my original GonG that I broke 2 days after receiving my Nano this way. Huge chunk of glass was missing from the ground glass connection, I managed to completely refill the hole in the GonG with hxtal and fix it to the point that it works better than all my other GonGs somehow. :D

dos equis

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you guys adjust your screens while the glass is still hot?
After seeing just how easily part of the glass could chip off from one of my Solo stems I have gotten quite scared of fiddling too much with hot glass.

dos equis,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

TeeJay1952

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you guys adjust your screens while the glass is still hot?
After seeing just how easily part of the glass could chip off from one of my Solo stems I have gotten quite scared of fiddling too much with hot glass.
You are just poking bottom of screen with chopstick. Shouldn't cause any problems. After you find sweet spot you don't move it very often. I clean with screen in place.

dos equis

Does using a sweet spot force you to use a certain load size? Cause my unit seems to be very sensitive to screen placement when it comes to load size, what works for a small load will make a larger load scorch at less than 5.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Other sizes work with different variables, but IMO the best hits (and most efficiency) come from small load with screen pretty close to heating element. Yes.... the Caligula 2 hit method. It's all in the vid. Basically, if you're taking good rips and you make it past 4 (or really 3 good clouds) you're probably loading too much.

If you're pushing your screen down and loading more, be sure to stir between hits. At least every couple! Heat will build up more as the load is heated repeatedly, and think the restricted airflow adds even more. The top of the load (closest to heating element) will take all the heat abuse. You'll also want to leave much more airspace between heating element and load (10 mm?); and load looser (don't tamp it down).

I do this less and less all the time, so not really tweaking/experimenting with larger loads anymore. Only time I really do it now is if there are 3 or 4 people sharing the session because less fiddling/loading and waiting that way. Even then, 7 or 8 good hits per load is all I've been able to do easily. Once everyone starts getting going a bit (2 big loads or so) I bump the screen up and everyone takes turns with their own personal 2-3 hit load.

Does using a sweet spot force you to use a certain load size? Cause my unit seems to be very sensitive to screen placement when it comes to load size, what works for a small load will make a larger load scorch at less than 5.

Well, yeah. If you set your sweet spot to handle a certain size load at a certain temp, you'll have to move it for a different load and/or temp. That's before you consider all of the other possible variables (potency of stash, dryness, grind fineness, type bubbler). Even with all of that, if you load about the same and set your dial about the same you should be pretty close every time. And, actually that sweet spot could be for large or small loads, depending on what you like. But, you can't change some things without adjusting others and expect the same result. For instance, you can't set up your sweet spot for a nice 2 hit extraction, then just bump the screen way down and dump 3x the load in there and expect it to hit the same. You'd have to find a different sweet spot for the new variables.

And, you'd have to be pretty damned lucky to consistently get the elusive perfect hit while constantly moving everything all over the place.

I always move my screen when hot while playing around to try to grab those perfect hits. Just be careful, don't touch the hot end, and use your poker ever so gently.

Last edited:

baltik

I wasn't entirely comfortable using SS wool for concentrates because I was a little paranoid about machining oils and other contaminants as well as the possibility of inhaling small steel particles over time if the steel becomes brittle. Vitolo's post in the Firefly thread gave me the idea of trying Herbalizer aromapads.
http://www.herbalizer.com/product/stainless-steel-aromapads-2-pack/

So far I am super happy with these, they are a tad larger than the GonG but can easily be manipulated into shape. The taste is much better than cotton, the price is reasonable and they are specialty made with only a few pieces of wire so this addresses my health concerns.

aroma-pads-300x300.jpg

as

I use a all glass and fill that to the top every time some times I will pick it down and add more some times not and I just let the heater pack it for me
I also do not need to mix the bowl at all!!
My loads comes out with a darker top of the bowl and lighter under that sort of like a solo but its all vaped
Maybe its coz I use higher temps? Or a faster draw?

alexwallis

Hi all,
a question regarding vaped material, is it worth putting it into edibles? I have been saving it in one of the cloth bags that was shipped with the PD, and now got quite a bit to hand, it seems a shame to just throw it away.
If people put it in edibles, what do you suggest putting it in?
my grind is quite fine and very powdery and full of very small bits of leaf etc, so not two sure how easy it would be to siv out if removal of remains is suggested before cooking.
I have never done anything with edibles myself before, but I know someone who can help with baking etc.
are there any alternative uses I might not have thought of?

alexwallis,

fregglepops

Well it's been a week. And what a week. Got my maple nano. Pulled my Afgooey and GH Superbud. After that things are hazy. I fully intend to pull it together and do a coherent review for @ACE OF VAPE Best purchase ever. Don't ever wanna be without it. Another stem you say? Back in a bit. Man gotta have time to get to know his piece. I use her dry with the adjustabowl stems and she can knock me on my ass from 5 to 7.5. Did I mention that this was the best thing I've ever bought? Hehe.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Yep you got to find your sweet spot with the adjust-a-bowls, and I find it's different for the direct draw stem compared to the gongs as well. A little heat sinking goes a long way.

It's terrific when you get it right.

So funny.... was just hitting my nano dry with joda stem, and thought about asking how many use it dry more often. Rarely do that myself except in special situations like tasting a new stash, or out & about. Here's @jimbob talking about it and a newb nano-er right behind him! First time I've sat and played with it for a while. It does bring out the flavor! Even managed to get one of those bingo! hits. Very nice.

So just for shits & giggles, how many people hit their nano dry at least as much as through water?

Myself, I'm thinking I should do this more often.

Hi all,
a question regarding vaped material, is it worth putting it into edibles? I have been saving it in one of the cloth bags that was shipped with the PD, and now got quite a bit to hand, it seems a shame to just throw it away.
If people put it in edibles, what do you suggest putting it in?
my grind is quite fine and very powdery and full of very small bits of leaf etc, so not two sure how easy it would be to siv out if removal of remains is suggested before cooking.
I have never done anything with edibles myself before, but I know someone who can help with baking etc.
are there any alternative uses I might not have thought of?

You should check out some of the threads in the cooking with cannabis section. Plenty of good info as always on FC.

I like making butter. Check out this tutorial featuring Samuel L. Jackson (sorry not a vid). Funny as shit and good solid info. http://goodandbaked.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/make-cannabutter-with-samuel-l-jackson.jpg

I try to throw at least one third of fresh stuff in there. Usually nothing special, just dregs from tins & baggies, leftovers and maybe a bud or 2. More fresh = not as dopey. It seems to take some of the heavy body stone you get from just abv. Needless to say, if you can get your hands on bud-trim - throw that shit in there!

Not sure how to handle fine grind duff with other methods, but butter makes is easy. There's a trick I read about (probably on FC :))......

After you boil your butter & abv, you throw it in the fridge overnight instead of dealing with the whole strainer/cheesecloth mess. Before it cools too much dump it through a strainer into a pyrex casserole dish. Doesn't have to be a really fine strainer - one of those 6" screen with plastic handle dollar store things will do OK. I like to use a gold coffee filter to strain a little more. Use a wooden spoon to squeeze out what you can. If you're only using abv dust (was ground or is old), or fine grinding like SLJ, you could probably get away with no straining.

Let it cool off a bit and stick it in the fridge. By morning, the weed fairies should have stopped by and left you with the most lovely green soft butter floating on top of some nasty looking water. All of the milk solids from the butter, all the impurities and all your saturated duff will fall to the bottom into the water. Use a butter knife - :lol: - to loosen from sides and pull off as big of chunks as you can with a spatula. Set them on a few pieces of paper towel for a minute or 2 to soak up the excess water. You'll end up with a few smaller pieces or globs that sink when you're messing with it. Grab them too! Just dry them a little.

You now have clarified butter (or ghee in Asia), so it is much better butter IMO than you started with besides it being that lovely sea-green. Don't think you even have to refrigerate it, but I do. Use the butter to make cookies or brownies. Put it on pasta. Possibilities are endless! For a quick dose, I like to spread some on a toasted bagel. Good stuff!

Just be careful. It's hard to judge what final product will be, and easy to overdo it! I do a bagel test to determine potency before making anything. Adjust the recipe as necessary.

Don't forget to check out the FC cookbook - http://fuckcombustion.com/forums/cooking-with-cannabis.10/

Last edited:

jimbob

So funny.... was just hitting my nano dry with joda stem, and thought about asking how many use it dry more often. Rarely do that myself except in special situations like tasting a new stash, or out & about. Here's @jimbob talking about it and a newb nano-er right behind him! First time I've sat and played with it for a while. It does bring out the flavor! Even managed to get one of those bingo! hits. Very nice.

So just for shits & giggles, how many people hit their nano dry at least as much as through water?

Myself, I'm thinking I should do this more often.

Strangely enough I've barely used my bubbler. I think it was purely out of convenience at first, but the stem grew on me and there's no looking back now.

Some people might not enjoy the little inconveniences, like it being slightly more harsh. Also any fine particles that sneak through the screen and aren't collected by the resin on the stem walls will be tasted.

But these are minor and don't bother me :)

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I use the J-Hook and Gong with mine.
I'm pondering hard about getting an Ed's Tnt stem for it...

I really stopped using water with the Nano awhile ago. I have a choice of vaporizers, so if I want a high-impact hit with water, I'll use EVO. If I want flavor, relaxed sessions with lots of hits, I use Nano.

Vapodudule

i switched to a "no more water" vaping, i just do not fill my pieces anymore. At one point i found that water was reducing the spectrum of active products and it has been more than a month that i enjoy things this way. Way less hassle with rincing and washing...

For the input i switched back to a mainly all glass GonG because of the basket screens gunking too fast. In fact both are welcome in my active vaping box. SO gong hash production restarted.

In all the set up, the many SS mesh balls from aromapads in the path are still collecting resins and deliver when needed.

fregglepops

I always use her dry. I've just noticed I've been calling it, her. Hmmm. Yeah anyway I don't own any glass and had always intended it to use it dry. Although the longer I linger on these forums the more I want a nice bit of glass. Ain't practical though with the sprog running about. Let me just clarify, I vape weed aye but only when said sprog is in her bed and I'm in my bed with door locked. So a massive glass piece is not an option. Is there a real difference in flavour between the adjustabowl stems and eds custom wooden ones? They look lovely but my main gripe withe the vaporstar was that the hotter it got I started to get a wood taste in my mouth. Does the metal stop this? Does anyone do a wooden outer with a glass lining? That'd be sweet if possible! Sorry Saturday mornin wake n vape has resulted in this rambling comment. ;):D

Top Bottom