demonscars

Cotton is an unforgiving mistress. I found that it was very difficult to use cotton without getting somewhat of a different taste to other substrates. I definitely couldn't look back after going to SS wool on the very good advice of @canj00digit?

Also, I have to add how impressed I am with the Nano using shatter I had to add a lot more SS wool tightly pressed into my SS screen capsule in my GonG, but the stuff stays put for 10 sessions worth of hits off a good sized dab! :leaf:
Where can you get the SS wool? How would you old the dab onto it? Is it the same deal as cotton, sorta wrapping it around?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I want to try some cotton soaked ejuice, I have organic ejuice that would taste amazing. I don't have organic cotton though.
Cotton from a vitamin or pill bottle is very pure and free!
That's what I will do tomorrow!
My SHATTER taste amazing!
I use very little cotton.
@Caligula has the best method.
SS is not necessary!

Last edited:

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Where can you get the SS wool? How would you old the dab onto it? Is it the same deal as cotton, sorta wrapping it around?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-316L-Wool-Pads-Fine-/310593550988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4850d17a8c&_uhb=1

These are 316L (surgical) stainless steel. A pack of these will last you forever.

You cut a piece from the stainless steel and compress it with your fingers into a plug that fits tightly into your E-nano gong. You want the plug as tight as possible without reducing airflow.
Once you put push your SS wool plug into the GonG, just tap it hard on a desk, on both sides, and blow through it, until you see no more SS wool fibers that were shed during cutting/handling coming out.

You want to push it in to the point where you leave a few millimeters from the heater to the SS wool substrate, enough room for your concentrates.

Once it's in place you don't have to mess with it again for quite some time (I have a dedicated Gong for this purpose). Until you feel airflow, and performance, is being reduced by build up. I have put through MANY dabs on the same piece of SS wool before removing it. Then you can drop in ISO and reclaim.

You just drop your dab on the top of the SS wool through the top of the Gong.

It's just personal preference between this and cotton.

I like SS wool because it's impossible to off-gas (cotton can and does singe at high temps) so I can high temp dab with dial at 10 without worries.
Also like that I can just drop dabs on it without messing with it each time.
Also like that I can reclaim from it if desired.

Here is video I did of a high temp convection dab on SS wool:

Thanks for the call up @herbivore21, hope you're well mate. :)

herbivore21

haha man I just made a new ball of SS wool and dabbed some QWET shatter I just finished evaping! Delicious! It is so true about cotton getting crispy at high temps.

I never saw that video, I need to use more SS wool in my QWISO GonG, the oil keeps running down the sides of the gong :/

I'm alright thanks mate, hope you are well too! :)

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
haha man I just made a new ball of SS wool and dabbed some QWET shatter I just finished evaping! Delicious! It is so true about cotton getting crispy at high temps.

I never saw that video, I need to use more SS wool in my QWISO GonG, the oil keeps running down the sides of the gong :/

How.can you handle QWISO?
Makes me vomit!
SHATTER extracted from the tallest colas taste better.
But hey!
If you make it work I need your secrete?
Ok I get it.
When I wake up I'll show you my method.
1AM in CALIFORNIA!

Last edited:

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...

Yeah man the SS plug should be pretty tight in there or you will get the side runs :D

Yeah, I am doing cool man. Total sort of overall mindfuck still happening with switching psychotropics I took for a LONG time. But you know, every body has thier own cross to bare eh mate :) Take is easy bro

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I agree with Ataxian, I never made qwiso which taste good and I tried several times with different soaking time and the result was potent but taste always bad (the same with qwet)

cawshook

Solod out.
I agree with Ataxian, I never made qwiso which taste good and I tried several times with different soaking time and the result was potent but taste always bad (the same with qwet)
I disagree. QWISO can taste nice. Theres not one person who tasted my QWISO and thought it was bad. Of course only when I do it with buds instead of shake do I get the flavor of the strain.

demonscars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-316L-Wool-Pads-Fine-/310593550988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4850d17a8c&_uhb=1

These are 316L (surgical) stainless steel. A pack of these will last you forever.

You cut a piece from the stainless steel and compress it with your fingers into a plug that fits tightly into your E-nano gong. You want the plug as tight as possible without reducing airflow.
Once you put push your SS wool plug into the GonG, just tap it hard on a desk, on both sides, and blow through it, until you see no more SS wool fibers that were shed during cutting/handling coming out.

You want to push it in to the point where you leave a few millimeters from the heater to the SS wool substrate, enough room for your concentrates.

Once it's in place you don't have to mess with it again for quite some time (I have a dedicated Gong for this purpose). Until you feel airflow, and performance, is being reduced by build up. I have put through MANY dabs on the same piece of SS wool before removing it. Then you can drop in ISO and reclaim.

You just drop your dab on the top of the SS wool through the top of the Gong.

It's just personal preference between this and cotton.

I like SS wool because it's impossible to off-gas (cotton can and does singe at high temps) so I can high temp dab with dial at 10 without worries.
Also like that I can just drop dabs on it without messing with it each time.
Also like that I can reclaim from it if desired.

Here is video I did of a high temp convection dab on SS wool:

Thanks for the call up @herbivore21, hope you're well mate. :)

Wow thanks for the info and the vid. Just ordered up some pads, will post a video of my next attempt when they arrive.

demonscars,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I disagree. QWISO can taste nice. Theres not one person who tasted my QWISO and thought it was bad. Of course only when I do it with buds instead of shake do I get the flavor of the strain.
I made ABV, ISO and tried to be a HIPPY health nut. The taste was just awful! You may have it down?
I use top colas and BHO followed by a vacuum purge. My SHATTER is awesome and free. I use the NANO, SOLO, HERCULES or DAB. I use cotton for my vaporizers. The coil from a Hercules I will try today with the NANO. I just feel odd using a open metal fiber of any kind.

ABV is like eating out of a trash can in the back of a restaurant!

Whatever you can handle?

Note: My QWISO was made with ABV.
That was most likely why I had a awful experience?

poonman

Note: My QWISO was made with ABV.
That was most likely why I had a awful experience?

Exactly , that's why .
I only use Top Shelf Buds for my QWISO , and it taste awesome .
But it has to be well purged , or it can compromise the flavor .
I do a 2 step purge ;
1. A warm water purge til it's gooey to scrape up with a razor .
Then I deposit the goo into a glass gram vial .
2. Then I insert the gram vial into the Solo oven , and purge out all the iso on level 1 and 2 . ( I'll post pics on the Solo thread )

I'm thinking of waiting for the nano v2 , for the new version cord with extra length .

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Exactly , that's why .
I only use Top Shelf Buds for my QWISO , and it taste awesome .
But it has to be well purged , or it can compromise the flavor .
I do a 2 step purge ;
1. A warm water purge til it's gooey to scrape up with a razor .
Then I deposit the goo into a glass gram vial .
2. Then I insert the gram vial into the Solo oven , and purge out all the iso on level 1 and 2 . ( I'll post pics on the Solo thread )

I'm thinking of waiting for the nano v2 , for the new version cord with extra length .
I'll make a batch and try it out!
Thank you for that!

cawshook

Solod out.
I'll make a batch and try it out!
Thank you for that!
Tips:
99% ISO
Iso+buds in freezer before wash
20 second wash

IMO purging isn't necessary. I put it in an oven at 72 degrees Celsius for like 5 hours after most of the alcohol has evaporated, but you can just leave it outside for days and you're good.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Can you get rid of the alcohol taste 100%? Cannot deal with the taste of alcohol at all.
He mentions heating to evaporate.
The taste killed it for me as well however he claims that purging is not needed?
My BHO extract purged taste better than pure gold or co2 oil so I hope I don't waste colas trying this?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I have done this a few times — could never get rid of alcohol taste to my satisfaction — always a wasted effort for me because of the shit alcohol taste you (I) cannot get rid of. I have never seen it done where it tasted good.

I'll use the good shit with my nano. :tup:
I have some FROSTY NORTHERN LIGHTS FLOWERS.
BHO or ISO?

herbivore21

Ok guys. Here's the thing.

The majority of the time you get a bad taste from a QWISO run, it is going to be plant materials getting into the extraction. If you have any kind of alcohol taste, you are not evaporating off your solution properly.

Winterizing is crucial with alcohol based runs. Alcohol washes tend to pull out more plant materials from your buds, unless you use kief only instead of buds (highly recommended, but I would suggest ethanol for this purpose, not ISO - less margin for error and guaranteed shatter!)

I made a lovely QWET shatter yesterday without winterizing even! About 3.5g of Gringo trim (not top flowers at all):

29ffnkg.jpg

Still baked the following afternoon, 12 hours later! I haven't had anything else!

It's all about the technique young padawans. I do not vacuum purge, I use only ordinary kitchen implements. There is no need to get fancy - necessity is the mother of invention.

Also, I have learned that evaping solution into small (appropriate sized for storing your waxes/shatter) containers will save a lot of time, no need for torches and razorblades and hours of fucking around!

Last edited:
Top Bottom