BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
In terms of just cooling the vapor a bit, would a J-Hook offer less resistance than a water tool? Seems like it would act as just a longer glass stem.

@flotntoke- please do send me the link, the more options I see the easier it will be to decide.

@CarolKing- is the J-Hook you bought at PlanetVape the Cane Gun? That looks interesting because it has feet. If you set the E-Nano on top will it all stay put on its own or would it topple once you let go?

@Vapor_Eyes- what is that thing? It looks like a corkscrew encased in glass.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@BT Bean My j hook is the Blackleaf one. It will be a great piece to have. It will work for several different vaporizers. I bought two just because they are expensive to ship, you never know if one might break. If dropped it would break on my wood floors. It might survive carpet from a lower height. They are pretty thin. They are easier to get out than a water tool.

Edit
I didn't catch all of your question earlier. The Nano does set on top. Yes you have to be careful it doesn't topple over. It's not difficult keeping it in place. It's the perfect setup for the nano. I like just using the regular stem too.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
WOW! So much great activity in this thread, and little of the too often read "when will it get here?" type chatter. FC rocks, but I'd swear nanoers are the bestest! Even when you see them in other threads.

At the moment JoDa isn't doing any custom pieces, he's busy doing a large production run for a local shop. I've asked recently as well as a couple others. He usually has a few pre-made pieces available for sale.

He can probably knock out some GonGs or stems though. He did a GonG for me to go with my recycler he made. I actually wanted a custom piece instead of the recycler, but he couldn't do it at the moment. I decided to snatch the recycler and I'm so glad I did, I probably like it more than I would have liked my custom piece.

I still want to get that custom piece made. Hopefully he's done with the production run before too long.

@Vapor Trails are you talking about heat soaking the stem or the nano?

How long are you leaving the nano on before using it?

The nano, like all logs, functions best when it is on constantly. It is best to heat soak it for 20-30 minutes before use. This ensures consistent vapor production from hit to hit.

The nano produces more consistent vapor than any other vape I have. For any given strain, with the same grind, load size, temp level, and technique, I get hits that are very consistent in quality.

The only time it's not consistent is if it's been sitting a while the first hit's temp might be slightly higher and cause more browning than normal. This can be counteracted by giving a quick sharp blow into the heater core before using. I only do this if it's a partially used chamber. If it's a fresh load I find the extra heat actually helps produce vapor faster without any unwanted browning.

I strongly recommend leaving the nano on whenever you're home. It may feel weird at first but it's perfectly fine and doesn't use much electricity. Knowing your log is ready to go at a moment's notice is a great feeling.

If you simply can't do that, or for times you just got home and are in a rush, here's a recipe:

From cold, turn the E-Nano to 10 on the temp dial for 3 minutes.

After those 3 minutes, turn it down to 7 on the temp dial for 2 minutes.

After those 2 minutes it should be ready to hit. You should be able to get pretty consistent hits, I would guess roughly in the 375-385°F range. No risk of combustion at all, good flavor and thick vapor. I've never been able to draw down the heat significantly with this recipe, even with hits that are nearly back to back, with minimal time in between for my lungs to recover.

You may have to experiment a bit with the second temp, you may find you prefer 7.25 or 6.75 or something else. I think 7 is a good starting point. After your first session, if you are leaving your nano on, turn it down .5 on the temp dial. Most likely by the time you are ready for a second session the nano will be completely heat soaked.

Lately I've been keeping my nano at 6.6 whenever I'm home, that setting works good for me with most strains. I get potent, dense vapor with great flavor at this setting, and each hit is nearly identical. Absolutely no risk of combustion, and no loss of heat. My average session I'm using a load in about a minute, with 2-3 hits in that time.

DUDE! I've seen pics of your piece over there, and the awesome f'n GonG. BEAUTIFUL!!!

I am referring to the the unit itself heat soaking. I actually take a draw right away, because I feel some vapor could escape since the heater is close to the material. I turned it down a bit, and now it seems to vape like I feel it should, and a ton more vapor for some odd reason vs blasting the heat for 2 draws. I actually got lengthy draws that were effective. Somehow my method was so bad that even tho charring the material, I felt nothing from those pulls. How could that be that I feel a Lot if I go slower when adjusting heat?

Speaking of the heat soak on the Nano, only.
I'm very rarely able to leave my home anymore, and so this is my always on, always ready vape.

Sorry about that @Vapor Trails . I misread and thought you were leaving nano on the load that long. More of my opinion of definition of "heat soaking" below.

Anyway, hope my misguided post is what led you in the right direction. Glad to hear you're getting it down now. Keep practicing and tweaking and she'll continue to amaze you.

@flotntoke knows way more than anyone on this thread!

I'm way too MEDICATED! (that's what we call it in CALIFORNIA). (sounds PC)!

The NANO has a very good HEATER.

The WOOD WORK is very accomplished.

For the $ I love the NANO!

AMAZING STRAIN'S HELP!

Thanks @ataxian . I don't know that I know more, but I generally go on a bit more than most and have the advantage of playing with nanos for a couple more years than many. I just hope others share what they figure out, too. My thick head misses way too much obvious stuff.

And, you by far are the greatest poet - rhymes or not.

@CarolKing what is a heat soak and what does it DO?

So..... it seams the term heat soak has evolved a little since first being a topic around here - or has at least picked up a slightly different meaning. Apologies to all for me not picking up on this sooner. :doh:

What heat soak initially meant was putting your nano on the load for 10 - 30 seconds to pre-heat the load and glass. I find it gives me a bit of a fuller first hit. When everything is fresh and cool (not hot), it seems to take about half a hit to warm up the glass and load until she starts hitting well. This is why you'll often find the first hit can be wispier than second or third. Heat soaking like this doesn't eliminate the problem, but it helps. Some leave the nano on the load all the way through it, only pulling to clear or using a carbed GonG adapter (like on my j-hook in pic above). If heat is above load and dial isn't set too high, it shouldn't degrade the load much for a few minutes while you finish it. Personally, I've never been comfortable with that unless very low heat and on that j-hook rig. With it, the glass stays pretty warm, but plenty of space for warm air to escape through the carb. And, when hitting like I usually do with that set-up it doesn't seem to have much negative effect at all.

Now it seems what we used to call pre-heating your nano has taken on the moniker of heat soaking, also. Nothing wrong with that, but guess it can make things a little confusing. Think all here get this part, but just to be sure..... Your nano will perform MUCH better if you let it get up to temp and stabilize. There is much more going on that meets the eye when she is warmed and truly ready to go. I don't pretend to understand it, but am pretty sure it has to do with a nice equalized temp of heater core, wood exterior and metal inner cup.

If going from cold, you can go for the super heat at 10 for 3-4 minutes, then drop down to preferred temp for a couple more minutes. It works OK and will be functional. I often do it when I find myself with a cold nano (not too often fortunately, but enough). However, she will work MUCH better if you let her heat up at preferred temp for 20-30 minutes. Or, just leave her ready to go all the time.

Once everything is at operating temp - true nano bliss can be had pretty easily. I call it nano magic, and still don't really understand it. I often wonder if Andy is truly that much of a vaporizer genius and designed it like this, or he kind of lucked into it. Don't really care too much which it was, but sure am glad he figured it out!! I've tried quite a few more vapes than in my signature and nothing suits me better than a fully warmed nano.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
WOW!
Thanks @ataxian . I don't know that I know more, but I generally go on a bit more than most and have the advantage of playing with nanos for a couple more years than many. I just hope others share what they figure out, too. My thick head misses way too much obvious stuff.

And, you by far are the greatest poet - rhymes or not.

I've tried quite a few more vapes than in my signature and nothing suits me better than a fully warmed nano.
@flotntoke please note my intention is not common logic!

When I'm MEDICATED & DEDICATED I am = CIVILIZED
It's sense to me however, non-sense to everyone else. (I think)?
NANO all day long so = CIVILIZED

SATIVAS; INDICAS; HYBRIDS = CANNABIS

CIVILIZED

Bar's are legal?
Not very honest?

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
@flotntoke I really like that J-hook piece. I was thinking of asking if Joda had any of those Gongs like yours already made. I would love one with a little swirly in the round marble part.

Another option for a nice bubbler is thickassglass.com.
They had/have a sale with some great prices recently. I almost picked up some bigger glass, but my thriftiness kicked in. :disgust:

My latest strain of Cheese is pretty fluffy. The herb in my packed gong often makes contact with the heater. As a result, I regularly pull little pieces of herb off the heater screen. Never has the heater charred those pieces. I just drop them back into the gong and vape on. I think folks worry too much about this.

:chill:ax Brothers and Sisters :cool:

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I turn mine on and it is ready to go at 6.5 at the 10 minute mark. Maybe not at full operating temp but giving good hits. Almost the same as my ssv at 7 minutes or so. I like to avoid fiddling with the dial.

Not to give you a hard time @CalyxSmokr , but we all know it's not hitting after 10 minutes at 6.5 like it would be at 25 minutes - well, maybe if you had left it sitting in a nice sunny window for a couple hours before heating. This is what I was getting at. nano will work OK when not quite fully heated, but think it takes full heat to really let the magic shine.

Kind of like how my old Accord will run if freezing cold and I jump in and start it, but not run smoothly until that temp gauge gets a little up off the bottom.

I seldom fiddle with the dial. Try to remember to leave it a tad below 5 when done for the night, then usually turn up to 6.25 and wait 5 minutes to get rolling.

Half assed is fine if that's all you got, but full assed is usually a much better ride! :cool:

All this talk about my j-hook has me wanting to drop some afghoo in it, set the dial at 5.75 and sip some tasty vapor while I catch up on Z-Nation reruns in prep for the season 3 premier this week. Hard to have more fun than getting all nanoed up and seeing what Murphy & crew get themselves into next.

@BabyFacedFinster ... my j-hook was one of the first made by Yeti House glass (a friend of Joda's who was here for a short while). I'd love to have one of Joda's with where his skills are now. I have a matching stem and GonG adapter from way back in his early days. Probably in the first 20 or so things he did. I like them, but they pretty much stay on display these days. Will maybe beg and try to have him do one for me some time in the future. His stuff is out of this world now! But, these days I'm trying to come up with a nice Chinese piece to get blasted by Mvapes. If you don't already know about this, you're better off not asking. Ever since my VAS (vape acquisition syndrome) has been cured by nano & millana, the GAS (glass acquisition syndrome) is hard to keep at bay!

Thanks to all for helping me find even more love for one of my favorite glass pieces!

nano on, nano nation!

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Vapor_Eyes- what is that thing? It looks like a corkscrew encased in glass.
That's a small hammer shaped bubbler, somewhat similar to a j-hook. The part inside is the percolater, it looks like it is the type of perc in the D020-D as well as many other pieces. I believe it's called a matrix perc, but I'm no expert on glass. I think I am coming down with GAS like @flotntoke.

My latest strain of Cheese is pretty fluffy. The herb in my packed gong often makes contact with the heater. As a result, I regularly pull little pieces of herb off the heater screen. Never has the heater charred those pieces.
When I first got my nano I left a packed stem, with the recommended clearance from the heater, on the stem for 10-15 minutes at temp 6 to see if it would cook my herb. It didn't cook the load to any noticeable degree.

I think at lower temps heat soaking your load is fine, even for longer periods of time than most would prefer.

I have also had herb stick to the heater core screen at higher temps and come back hours later and it isn't charred.

Recently I fell asleep with an overpacked stem on top of the nano, herb pressed right against the heater. Don't ask, that was the night I got my recycler and I rigged up a dry stem to work with it. I must have had a little too much fun using it and passed out. I don't know why I would have left the stem on the nano after a hit because I never do that.

Anyway, I had herb in contact with the heater screen at temp 7.1 for 8+ hours. Nothing was charred or black, just a completely even and solid brown. It was the same color it would have normally been if I extracted at that temp, perhaps a tiny bit darker. I think I did have some green left when I passed out, so it probably did cook the load, but it didn't char or combust at all.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@flotntoke I really like that J-hook piece. I was thinking of asking if Joda had any of those Gongs like yours already made. I would love one with a little swirly in the round marble part.

Another option for a nice bubbler is thickassglass.com.
They had/have a sale with some great prices recently. I almost picked up some bigger glass, but my thriftiness kicked in. :disgust:

My latest strain of Cheese is pretty fluffy. The herb in my packed gong often makes contact with the heater. As a result, I regularly pull little pieces of herb off the heater screen. Never has the heater charred those pieces. I just drop them back into the gong and vape on. I think folks worry too much about this.

:chill:ax Brothers and Sisters :cool:
You are the coolest vaporist on this PLANET.
I can't afford to be a baller like you?

Fuckin: {hydro-tube and hydro-stand} x FLAVOR/EFFECT = NANO

NANO = CIVILIZATION

PEOPLE OG
SWEET HAWAIIAN SKUNK
PANAMA RED

Some I forgot?
However it's good to forget!

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
Thanks @CarolKing, that hook looks interesting. I tried your 30 second heat soak suggestion also. Definitely gave me milkier hits, especially that first sweet sip.

Interesting @Vapor_Eyes. I have a lot to learn. I think the last bong I used was a ceramic Nixon head my buddy had.

FC rocks, but I'd swear nanoers are the bestest!

This forum is sick. FC in general is a cut above just about any other forum I’ve frequented and to a great extent I’ve got to hand it to the mods for that, but I guess vaporists are just good folk. This here nano thread seems to be exceptional even by FC standards. Lots of knowledge and generous sharing. Positive Vibration. Got to have a good vibe!

CalyxSmokr

http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-bubbler-hand-blown-glass-vase-perc-water/175832535.html#ctabBox

Just ordered this plus the 18/19mm gong from enano. I think they'll all be compatable, but I'm currently in the midst of an enano session so I'm not entirely sure....

But if it does, how different can I expect the experience to be? I've only done direct draw so far.
Will work well but is very low drag and small can. Love this piece for my arizer air but a little small and a little less drag than I want for nano. Good starter and convenience of having the piece hold your stem makes for much fewer spills. You will never go back

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-bubbler-hand-blown-glass-vase-perc-water/175832535.html#ctabBox

Just ordered this plus the 18/19mm gong from enano. I think they'll all be compatable, but I'm currently in the midst of an enano session so I'm not entirely sure....

But if it does, how different can I expect the experience to be? I've only done direct draw so far.

Good call. The D020 is definitely compatible and a nice little bubbler paired with nano. I still use mine as a travel piece. Good vendor on DHgate to get it from IME, too.

Differences? Pro - Cooler vapor thru water and for most the ability to comfortably take hits that are just a bit bigger and usually more satisfying. I also find it a bit easier to nano with it sitting on top of a bubb like this instead of working horizontally with the stock straight stem.

Con - A slight loss of flavor profile as with anything going through water. Very dependent on strain, what temp you use and your draw. Not bad at all with lower diffusion perc like on this piece, and minimal with a slow steady draw.

I use a bubbler at least 90% of the time and love it.

Let us know how you like it.

LazyVaper

What heat soak initially meant was putting your nano on the load for 10 - 30 seconds to pre-heat the load and glass. I find it gives me a bit of a fuller first hit. When everything is fresh and cool (not hot), it seems to take about half a hit to warm up the glass and load until she starts hitting well.
(...)

Does anyone have experience or intuition as to what happens if you "permanently" heat soak (per the above definition of heat soak)? In other words, what if you use the E-Nano sort of like an Arizer Air/Solo, and put the tube+load on the Nano, and just leave it there until spent. E.g., turn the Nano into a bit of a session vape? I assume it depends on one's pace, but since I brought up the Air/Solo, let's say 10 minutes, since that's the auto-off time on the Arizer devices.

Also, what are the effects of pushing the screen back a bit to accommodate a bigger load? Again, the goal here is to save effort of reloading the stem. Just put in a bigger load, leave it on the Nano, and treat it like a session vape? (I am LazyVaper after all!)

Your nano will perform MUCH better if you let it get up to temp and stabilize. There is much more going on that meets the eye when she is warmed and truly ready to go. I don't pretend to understand it, but am pretty sure it has to do with a nice equalized temp of heater core, wood exterior and metal inner cup.

If going from cold, you can go for the super heat at 10 for 3-4 minutes, then drop down to preferred temp for a couple more minutes. It works OK and will be functional. I often do it when I find myself with a cold nano (not too often fortunately, but enough). However, she will work MUCH better if you let her heat up at preferred temp for 20-30 minutes. Or, just leave her ready to go all the time.

I have found this to be very true. I.e. "stabilized" temperature of the entire unit makes for much more consistent results. An enterprising person with quality temperature reading tools could produce some nice graphs of temperature deltas over time at various parts on the E-Nano (heater core, aluminum circle, wood body). All that with a given ambient temp as well. ;)

That is one thing I've found to be both a strength and weakness of the Nano (and presumably all log vapes in general): the nuances and subtleties of its operation demand that the user develop a decent intuition or feel for how it behaves under various circumstances. I say this is a weakness for people like me who want more of a consistent, turn-key experience without any fuss. (To be clear, I'm not saying you can't have a consistent turn-key experience with the Nano; you absolutely can, but it will likely require some "time-tuition" to understand how to achieve those results.) But at the same time, it's a strength because spending time "getting to know" the tool will establish a ritual and/or bond that is important to many people. And perhaps more importantly, the fact that there is a learning curve means that it is a powerful tool that is flexible and offers more capabilities compared to a "one trick pony".

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
That is one thing I've found to be both a strength and weakness of the Nano (and presumably all log vapes in general): the nuances and subtleties of its operation demand that the user develop a decent intuition or feel for how it behaves under various circumstances. I say this is a weakness for people like me who want more of a consistent, turn-key experience without any fuss. (To be clear, I'm not saying you can't have a consistent turn-key experience with the Nano; you absolutely can, but it will likely require some "time-tuition" to understand how to achieve those results.) But at the same time, it's a strength because spending time "getting to know" the tool will establish a ritual and/or bond that is important to many people. And perhaps more importantly, the fact that there is a learning curve means that it is a powerful tool that is flexible and offers more capabilities compared to a "one trick pony".
That's the nature of manual vs. automatic. Manual requires more of a learning curve but allows for more control and flexibility. I also agree that manual vaporizers create more of a bond with users. I have an emotional attachment to my manual vapes that just isn't there with the automatic units.

CalyxSmokr

LazyVaper

Random idea/question, maybe Andy can weigh in...

For the metal "barrel" of the E-Nano: by "barrel", I mean the larger diameter piece of metal (steel or aluminum?) that hugs right up against the wood. Why is this metal? I know it is not in direct contact with the heating element. But as we've all noticed, if you leave your Nano on for say 30 minutes or longer, the whole device itself gets warm. This means some heat produced by the heating element is warming the whole unit itself. So that means there is some inefficiency, as ideally we want all heat to be used for our material. (Granted, in the winter, it will probably be nice for the Nano to double as a hand warmer; but from an engineering perspective, that's not the primary purpose of this device.)

So what if instead that "barrel" was made of ceramic, rather than metal, i.e. insulator of heat, rather than conductor? It might still get warm over time (?), but I'm thinking less metal overall would mean less thermal mass to draw heat away from the heating element. Perhaps the unit would, overall, reach a steady-state sooner? It might also help prevent the wood from cracking: even if the ceramic did get warm, I would think it would happen much more slowly than the metal, which perhaps gives the wood a better chance to adapt slowly.

Thoughts?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Whatever floats your raft!

Personally I would start with a D022 and go from there?
Some like the D020-D (I have a FC 187 similar size)?

Big Bong like mouth-pieces are UNCIVILIZED to me?

Do what works for you?
Were all different!

There is not a right or wrong way.
Just a way!

I think in mathematical terms?

Bubblers = portables
SM - Med = LOG's (NANO)
LARGE = most desktops

VOLUME = RATIO & PROPORTION
The age of the vaporist is also a factor!

Last edited:

snackmaster

Random idea/question, maybe Andy can weigh in...

For the metal "barrel" of the E-Nano: by "barrel", I mean the larger diameter piece of metal (steel or aluminum?) that hugs right up against the wood. Why is this metal? I know it is not in direct contact with the heating element. But as we've all noticed, if you leave your Nano on for say 30 minutes or longer, the whole device itself gets warm. This means some heat produced by the heating element is warming the whole unit itself. So that means there is some inefficiency, as ideally we want all heat to be used for our material. (Granted, in the winter, it will probably be nice for the Nano to double as a hand warmer; but from an engineering perspective, that's not the primary purpose of this device.)

So what if instead that "barrel" was made of ceramic, rather than metal, i.e. insulator of heat, rather than conductor? It might still get warm over time (?), but I'm thinking less metal overall would mean less thermal mass to draw heat away from the heating element. Perhaps the unit would, overall, reach a steady-state sooner? It might also help prevent the wood from cracking: even if the ceramic did get warm, I would think it would happen much more slowly than the metal, which perhaps gives the wood a better chance to adapt slowly.

Thoughts?

Dunno man. There's no question the ceramic would heat up over time. And with so little "barrel" material I can't imagine it'd make a meaningful difference in heater performance, especially over extended periods.

If it ain't broke...

:2c:

Top Bottom