BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
What is the best method for cleaning the screens? When I soak the stem in ISO for 30 minutes it is still not enough to clean the screen

Everyone has a different method. IDK if one is better than the rest. After an iso soak, you can flush it with hot water.

While I have and will soak lots of glass, screens,etc in iso I must admit that the most common method I use for cleaning screens is a torch. I often hold the screen with needle-nosed pliers and blast the shit out of the screen until it glows red. It cools in 10 seconds, then I blow on it to remove any residue and voila, clean screen in 2 minutes. Now I have often wondered if this method causes the screen to degrade but I have yet to throw one out because of that.

baxter

Everyone has a different method. IDK if one is better than the rest. After an iso soak, you can flush it with hot water.

While I have and will soak lots of glass, screens,etc in iso I must admit that the most common method I use for cleaning screens is a torch. I often hold the screen with needle-nosed pliers and blast the shit out of the screen until it glows red. It cools in 10 seconds, then I blow on it to remove any residue and voila, clean screen in 2 minutes. Now I have often wondered if this method causes the screen to degrade but I have yet to throw one out because of that.

Thanks Finster,

I will give it a try with the Torch that I use for my VapCap.

Do you think that if I left just the screens soaking for a week that the damn reclaim would come off of the screen?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If you are able, try to get 91% alcohol. I've never had a difficult time getting all the stuff off the screens. Using a torch will definitely work. @baxter did you use concentrates with that screen? Afterwards rinse in ISO then rinse in warm water, because the torch will make the screen give your cannabis a bad taste.

The weather is going to be hot around here this week. The high 90s is hot for us. Most people don't have air conditioning around here. We have natural air conditioning 10 months out of the year.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Thanks Finster,

I will give it a try with the Torch that I use for my VapCap.

Do you think that if I left just the screens soaking for a week that the damn reclaim would come off of the screen?

Def use the 91% iso. Sometimes the supermarkets don't have it, but pharmacy stores will always carry.

Soaking will eventually clean them. It is a matter of how much gunk is on the screen. The gunk/reclaim is the solute and the iso is the solvent. Sometimes the solvent needs more time to penetrate due to the thickness of the solute it is dissolving. I'm not a scientist but I play one on FC.

I never noticed an off-taste from using the torch, but my sense of taste is not as strong as others, especially through glass.

BTW, still working on my supply of Cheese through the nano. I had some with me when I recently went on vacation and it just makes everything groovy.

I have to recommend the use of a Smoke Buddy when on vacation (and many other situations). The Smoke Buddy removes all sense of odor, vapor, smoke from your exhale. I was always concerned about setting off a smoke alarm in a hotel room when vaping. I don't know if vaping would set off a smoke alarm, but it always freaked me out. The Smoke Buddy removes all concern.

CarolKing

I've used a needle before to poke out some particles, that works well to get the screen clean. A log vape is one of the easiest vaporizers to maintain. Not many parts to buy and not much cleaning to worry about. There's the occasional broken stem. Right @ataxian? The flavor is awesome with my Enano.

Last edited:

howie105

Clean more often, I swish the stem in ISO and water after every couple of uses and I am on a second screen for flowers in over a year. Concentrates were a different story and it was back to long ISO soaks for that.

Last edited:

Baron23

If you are able, try to get 91% alcohol. I've never had a difficult time getting all the stuff off the screens. Using a torch will definitely work. @baxter did you use concentrates with that screen? Afterwards rinse in ISO then rinse in warm water, because the torch will make the screen give your cannabis a bad taste.

The weather is going to be hot around here this week. The high 90s is hot for us. Most people don't have air conditioning around here. We have natural air conditioning 10 months out of the year.
I'm with Carol on this....I just plop it into some high % ISO and rinse. If really necessary, I will give a little bit of a brush with an old toothbrush (especially those little pointed ones that the dentist gives out).

They come out clean.

Now, I know that these are inexpensive...even considered to be consumable items...but I would think that torching a basket screen would weaken the steel over time. Very minor thought, but I used to torch pipe screens and did find that they became brittle after time.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Hello nano-nation! Finally back to FC after a nice vaca, out of town for work, and a particularly annoying and time consuming hard drive failure. Always great to get back and see so much great commentary about my favorite vape! Much to comment on, and sorry in advance for going on so long and so much. But, regular readers here already know how I can be - especially where nano is concerned. :) Kind of in chronological reply order - I think.

TLDR version... just skip this one. :D

.... I met with some friends today and we started drinking and hanging out. I must have downed about 4-5 pints when I started feeling groggy. They tasted good and got me buzzed but then the lousy feeling always follows and then I promise myself I won't drink that much again. When I got home, I fired up the nano and vaped some Wappa (indica) and mellowed out. I now feel a lot better. Cannabis is so much more civilized than alcohol.

Comments on cleaning below, but to BabyFaced (and a good tip for all who still indulge with alcohol). NEVER, EVER, NEVER have more than one beer or drink without getting some vapor in you! The only time I ever do this is at family/social functions when vaping isn't practical or I don't want vapor on my breath. Even then, I try to get a couple hits in before arriving and take a swig of mouthwash. I also stick to no more than 2 drinks (if no vapor) for the most part, Double benefit here because all those folks now think I am a much more responsible drinker - HA!

I'm a beer freak and often go to local breweries - sometimes to a few in a day if I have a willing driver. I also have a few good watering holes that specialize in nice craft beers. For me what works best is to get a nano load in me before I even leave the house. Then take a subtle portable for out and about (VC very nice here). Learn how to vape with your portable in stealthy mode. Pretty much anywhere people drink, you'll find smokers (or at least a smoking area). Get off to the side downwind from them, and act a little dickish - like you don't want to be part of the smoking circle click. Minimum, I go out and get at least one VC load in me every 2 beers.

Yes, all the studies and analysis are true... vaping and alcohol combined are usually a bit more than the sum of the two. Nothing wrong with that IMO! Just be aware and take things a bit more slowly. But, if I drink much without vaping the buzz gets kind of sideways on me, and the aftermath (next morning, or later that eve) is much worse.

If for whatever reason you find yourself out drinking without vapor, be sure to get some in you as soon as you can - better before your alcohol buzz tapers off too much. Also, things seem to go much better if you get a good vape in before eating while buzzed on booze.

I've sworn by this for years, and enjoy drinking (and drink less) because of this. I had been doing the same combusting for years before I discovered vapor. YMMV, but you should definitely check it out. Leads to a much better buzz IMO, and your bar tab should drop considerably.

There's a bunch of cleaning discussion above, but clipped the quotes I had grabbed. A few tips that may help with some things I saw, though.

While you can easily clean your stem with screen in it, I get a better clean by pulling the screen. Pull the screen, soak for 20 minutes to overnight. Before rinsing, hit it with a dry toothbrush using the alcohol that will be on it. Then rinse in hot water.

To clean stems (with or without screen) you don't really need that deep of an alcohol container - only half height of stem (if that). Soak one end in alcohol, flip and soak other end. No need to rinse in between flip. Just put first end back in for a few seconds before rinsing. The initial soak will have loosened everything up, and a quick dip back in alcohol will loosen up for easy rinse. Same works for GonG adapters.

The jar I use is only about 1/4 depth of stem length. I soak one end, then the other. Let a little alcohol hang in there and is easy to remove the resin in glass with a small brush or twisted up paper towel. The "tougher" part to clean is the business end.

I like Everclear (Grain alcohol) best, but it is much more expensive than ISO. Nothing wrong with ISO, but IME 91% is much more better than 70% than you would think. Whichever you use, save it in an airtight container. It will start to yellow and can go to dark brown, but works just as well as fresh. I keep two containers... one for cleaning bubblers and whatnot, and one for stems, GonG adapters, screens, etc. The first batch (for glass pieces) gets used forever and hardly yellows. Slow eventual evaporation is the only reason I have to replace it. The second batch for smaller parts will get browner faster, but I use it until it picks up so many particulates that it becomes an issue. Usually this is 8-9 months to a year.

Wand hash milk/hot chocolate.... I try to have a few stems from nano and other vapes when I do this. Heat milk to about 200F (95C?). A double boiler makes it easier to control and will make sure you don't burn anything. Just put water in a pot and boil (or close to it). Put a smaller pot with your milk in it inside this. Gently drop your dirty glass in, and very gently stir around a bit. I usually use a wooden chopstick to stir. Use tongs to pull glass and move each piece back and forth a bit before pulling. Rinse with hot water should clean milk off (and all vape residue should be gone).

Use whole milk at a minimum. I like half & half best because of higher fat content. You need the fat content for the good stuff to transfer to. Be careful with this milk, as it is very hard to judge its strength. Try a little in some coffee, or drink a shot to check. This "magic milk" (or half & half) should last a least a week in the fridge if you used fresh dairy product. I try to buy freshest I can, and have used it as late as the printed buy by date with no problems.

Keep in mind, the dirtier your glass, and the more glass you use, the stronger it will be.

If you only have one piece of glass, and it's not too dirty, you can make hot chocolate, a cup of coffee with a good bit of cream/milk in it, or just a hot glass of milk and just stir whichever with your dirty glass. If it is working right, your glass should rinse totally clean under hot water. If it doesn't, make whatever adjustments you need (higher temp, more milk, etc) and just do it again.

And, @baxter (and others), don't overdo edibles!!! It can really F you up way beyond where you find comfortable. Not much worse than an MJ OD. You'll be fine in a few hours, but can be a very nasty trip and may lead to sleeping for more than 12 hours!

@SloJimFizz...
I say this because procuring and selling a better cord/control than this should be eminently doable with little to no impact on price.

If we are all doing it, then Epic should beat us to the punch and eliminate the need. See what I'm saying??

First, we don't all do it. Cord hasn't been an issue for me since first month. Get a stand, rig it up, or learn how to train it to how you want it to be (hair dryer is an amazing tool for such things). All work great! But, cord probably isn't getting any smaller (or lighter) - at least the end on power side of dial. A/C 120V requires this. Other log vapes that are DC (with stepdown at transformer plugged into wall) are a whole different thing.

@pxl_jockey The ever popular "Bingo"hit. I still don't understand it. 100 hits, 3 will be Bingo. I cannot reproduce on command but it ALWAYS comes around. Some suggest it is vape signature or strain tolerance. I think of it as a visit from Ataxian.

Ahhhhhhh, the ever elusive BINGO hit!! If I'm trying and paying attention I can almost always get one out of second hit of load. Take a light hit on first to set things up, make sure your temp is in the right place for your particular material (strain, grind, moisture, etc) and hit it fairly slow and very steady. It does take practice and good knowledge of your nano and material. I still can't do it 100% of the time, but can usually hit BINGO 4 out of 5 times if trying.

I've got some Gorilla Glue in the Enano and I'm using temp 6 or a hair below. I notice lately when I use Gorilla Glue I need to turn my temp down if it's above 6. It just seems like it's been a little harsh lately. It's happened with various batches and producers. The temp for me is dependent on the cannabis I'm using. Some require a higher or lower temp depending on the vapor flavor and whether there's any harshness.

What's in your Enano tonight? Love a log vape and love my Enano.

I'm always adjusting just a nudge depending on strain, moisture level, buzz desired and other things. Always have to figure out every new strain, and is easy to tell different batches with nano - so usually have to readjust a bit even if same strain from same source.

Lately have been enjoying Jilly Bean during the day and Pink Cookies at night. Both are awesome! Unfortunately, my Pink Cookies is dwindling and no more available in my world. :ugh:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
DOH!! Part 2....

I've noticed that the nano is one of the few vapes that you can notice if the cure has not been long. I love the power and simplicity of this vape. Not to mention the power

Yep.... nano preserves flavor so well you can tell a lot about your stash and think it is also the best way to check effects from different strains/growers/handling, etc.

Thick, wide rubber bands are your friend.

I don't use them much anymore because I know my dials all pretty well, and have a few favorite spots marked on them. However, the blue rubber bands you find on broccoli are awesome for this. IME they are a bit more practical if you only put it part way over the dial. This allows you to kind of peel it back a little, and adjust dial. When you let it go, it will fall back into place locking that setting. They wide yellow ones they use to hold lobster claws work great, too.

What is the best method for cleaning the screens? When I soak the stem in ISO for 30 minutes it is still not enough to clean the screen

See above and post from @Baron23 before this one. Get yourself a cleaning toothbrush. Even if you leave screens in for cleaning this is the best tool I've found for cleaning screens. If you do leave screen in, try pushing it a little closer to the end for easier access. Keep toothbrush dry and use alcohol that will be stuck to screen. Give a little scrub all around, and try to clean in between screen and glass. Then rinse as normal with hottest water you can get from tap. Works great!

Almost forgot.... you want your screens VERY dry before using. If you're using immediately after cleaning, tap them out on paper towel (or whatever), suck and blow through glass so no drips, then put on nano empty and take a few dry hits. I'll often just set it on top of nano empty for a couple minutes, too. You've got that dry heat right there, might as well use it!

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
This is what I am talking about! This thread rocks. So much good stuff wrapped in kindness - even about cleaning your screens, never mean or designed to make someone look or feel bad. Cuz this is all stuff I need/like to know, real-life hacks! The level of respect at FC is like no other forum I know. This thread goes way back, if/when you have some time to explore, the knowledge depth here is AMAZING. One of the (many) great things that come with owning a long-standing, ever-popular, and ultimately SOLID piece of tech like the Nano is the best (&free) user's manual IMHO, written by a highly qualified(&free) editorial staff: YOU@FC

And you guys even have one of the best singer-songwriters OAT as a celebrity poster, everyone give a huge hand for @CarolKing! Seriously though, I realised how much I look forward to reading what you're putting in your Nano when you went on vacation. Can only dream of someday having the variety of selections that yourself and so many have in CIVILISED corners of the big blue marble. It's a PLANT, a MEDICINE that helps me (millions more?) manage my pain better than big pharma tablets without their shitty side-effects. And huge thanks to everyone @fc, I'm learning how to better use my vaporisation devices to proactively treat my chronic (lol!) and degenerative diseases with this wonderful miraculous plant. What a wonderful community this is.

EDIT: Welcome home @flotntoke, glad to see you're back and in fine form!

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
This is what I am talking about! This thread rocks. So much good stuff wrapped in kindness - even about cleaning your screens, never mean or designed to make someone look or feel bad. Cuz this is all stuff I need/like to know, real-life hacks! The level of respect at FC is like no other forum I know. This thread goes way back, if/when you have some time to explore, the knowledge depth here is AMAZING. One of the (many) great things that come with owning a long-standing, ever-popular, and ultimately SOLID piece of tech like the Nano is the best (&free) user's manual IMHO, written by a highly qualified(&free) editorial staff: YOU@FC

And you guys even have one of the best singer-songwriters OAT as a celebrity poster, everyone give a huge hand for @CarolKing! Seriously though, I realised how much I look forward to reading what you're putting in your Nano when you went on vacation. Can only dream of someday having the variety of selections that yourself and so many have in CIVILISED corners of the big blue marble. It's a PLANT, a MEDICINE that helps me (millions more?) manage my pain better than big pharma tablets without their shitty side-effects. And huge thanks to everyone @fc, I'm learning how to better use my vaporisation devices to proactively treat my chronic (lol!) and degenerative diseases with this wonderful miraculous plant. What a wonderful community this is.

EDIT: Welcome home @flotntoke, glad to see you're back and in fine form!

So glad to see yet another awesome nano-citizen @pxl_jockey ! Thanks for the kind words. Was so nice settling back in with nano when I got home. Tho, did really enjoy the Zion while f'ing with damned failed hard drive in front of computer. Don't even ask about that one, though.

If you haven't found it, check out nano Best Of thread. Some great stuff all in one place.

That's because many of us are well medicated and some folks are just nice...and medicated.

Very medicated! Nice? I try (most of the time :dog:).

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
load. Take a light hit on first to set things up, make sure your temp is in the right place for your particular material (strain, grind, moisture, etc) and hit it fairly slow and very steady. It does take practice and good knowledge of your nano and material. I still can't do it 100% of the time, but can usually hit BINGO 4 out of 5 times if trying.
Thank you for this; it's given me something to practice with and paying attention to the material more has had an impact for sure. Anyway I found your suggestions to be worth-while as a newbie. Thanks again! :tup:

EDIT: Annnnd: BINGO!!! @flotntoke- I take my metaphorical hat off to you! Whoooeeee!

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Figured I'd actually add a little water to the J-hook tonight and get a lil' bubble action going with the nano upside-down.

The novelty wears off quick when you don't have a place the rest the damn thing.

Got some smooth hits... but next thing you know my shorts are wet. :disgust:

AngryJon

Personally I keep two of these on my desk. A green lidded one starts full of clean e-nano screens and a red lidded one next to it starts empty. Once a screen I'm using is too clogged to use I push it out of the GonG adapter with a chopstick that also lives on my desk into the red lidded jar. When the contents of the jars have fully traded, I add isopropyl (best bang for buck imo) to the now full of dirty screens red lidded jar, add a sprinkle of salt, close the jar tight, and give it a good shake.

Afterwards I carefully drain the jar down the sink by twisting the jar lid open just a crack. Then I dump the screens on a folded over paper towel. I use my DataVac to blow off any remaining isopropyl, salt, or plant matter on each screen one by one as I place them back into the green lidded jar. Then rinse out the red jar, do some air drying, and repeat.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Personally I keep two of these on my desk. A green lidded one starts full of clean e-nano screens and a red lidded one next to it starts empty. Once a screen I'm using is too clogged to use I push it out of the GonG adapter with a chopstick that also lives on my desk into the red lidded jar. When the contents of the jars have fully traded, I add isopropyl (best bang for buck imo) to the now full of dirty screens red lidded jar, add a sprinkle of salt, close the jar tight, and give it a good shake.

Afterwards I carefully drain the jar down the sink by twisting the jar lid open just a crack. Then I dump the screens on a folded over paper towel. I use my DataVac to blow off any remaining isopropyl, salt, or plant matter on each screen one by one as I place them back into the green lidded jar. Then rinse out the red jar, do some air drying, and repeat.

Sounds like a great set-up!

Couple things.... You don't need the salt. Probably isn't hurting anything really, but imagine it adds to rinsing. Many use salt when cleaning glass, but it doesn't add to "cleaning power". It's just a small agitator (that won't dissolve in ISO) to kind of scrape/scrub the glass when you shake. Don't really see it being too useful here.

No need to dump that alcohol. Get yourself a glass jar to dump into and seal, and you'll seldom need to buy more ISO. It works just as well for cleaning after many rinse and dumps like this (30? 50? - MANY!). It will get amber and then brown as it picks up resin and plant matter, but works just as well until it accumulates enough plant matter that it becomes a pain in the ass to rinse off. ISO is pretty cheap so not too expensive to dump and replace - but why not save it to save your money and dump less volatile solvent into wastewater system?

I like Everclear (grain alcohol) a lot better and worry less about residue from it. You can't get it everywhere and it is WAY more expensive - about 12x more expensive than drug store ISO (about 4x more than 99% ISO linked). But, it's distilled for consumption and if you save it, it lasts a good long time. I've been using 1/2 of the same $27 - 750 ML bottle for more than a year to clean both glass and screens. On rare occasions when I do use salt to get at a stubborn spot in glass, I only use a little and dump it out. This, dumps for particulates in screen jar and evaporation while sitting in a piece overnight are the only places it goes (other than back in storage jar). I could probably get some wicked QWISO by evaporating the tea-brown stuff I've use to clean screens for months, but don't want to mess with it and have worries about final product after a jar like that has been going so long. I have to add more to the mix so rarely, it often takes me while to remember where I put the bottle!

Last edited:

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
Unfortunately (or fortunately? For me haha) I've decided to take a hiatus from vaping.
No bad experiences or "horror trips", just want to be as much my "true" self as I can experience.
Also started meditating again (Mindfullness/Vipassana), abstaining from anything too mind altering is helpful for me. It's kind of a willpower exercise for me as well..

I don't want to quit for good..just take a break and then kind of ease into it again...went a bit overboard...I have 3 months of vacation so it's been vape city over here. Moderation is a problem - to be worked on.

Also I don't wanna knock anyone elses use. I know some people that quit get totally mean spirited towards those that still partake (regardless of what). Whatever works, you know?

I still keep my nano on my desk's shelf just as a nice piece of decor. It's probably the nicest made thing I own. Maybe I'll use my free time to build a display case :lol:

Has anyone tried vaping other herbs in their nano, like cammomile? I have a long list of herbs to try, but wondering if anyone here has experimented?

I keep checking this thread too, just because of the great vibes :)

@SloJimFizz - I see you have some bands over your rheostat as do I and many others.

My one complaint about Epic is that after seeing what owners need to do to weight the power cord (so it doesn't slide off the table and take the log with it) and fix the temp setting in place so it doesn't inadvertently change, you would think that they would have offered an improved power cord/control by now (you listening @ACE OF VAPE). LOL

I say this because procuring and selling a better cord/control than this should be eminently doable with little to no impact on price.

If we are all doing it, then Epic should beat us to the punch and eliminate the need. See what I'm saying??

Hah, yeah and a 220V version! That'd be an insta-buy.

Wait a second, It doesn't go to 11 ?:hmm:

Probably a manufacturing defect. Contact customer service immedeatly! ;)

CarolKing

Took the RV to the beach along with the Enano and a couple of portables. I used the Enano at night. Brought a few strains along. I had bought some AK47 I hadn't bought that in a while. I had forgotten what a good strain it is. I also brought a strain called Silver Tip and some Romulan.

I noticed the electrical output varied at times at the RV park with the Enano temperature. I had to turn the temperature up then would need to turn it back down. We were hooked up to the RV park power supply.

The weather was 85 degrees at the beach and it's been in the mid nineties at the house. Too hot for the Pacific NW. We have air conditioning in the RV we may need to stay in there tonight. No Air conditioning in the house. We just got home today. We would have stayed longer but they were booked up over the weekend. At least we had 3 beautiful days.

I'm just using CarolKing as an avatar although I am a singer but not a famous one. I have been in bands in my younger years back in the 1970s. Occasionally I still sing at weddings and special occasions and jam with friends.

Edit
How about that sunset

• NKeyt3f.jpg

Last edited:

howie105

Unfortunately (or fortunately? For me haha) I've decided to take a hiatus from vaping.
No bad experiences or "horror trips", just want to be as much my "true" self as I can experience.
Also started meditating again (Mindfullness/Vipassana), abstaining from anything too mind altering is helpful for me. It's kind of a willpower exercise for me as well..

Well rattle our cage every so often and say HI.

I don't want to quit for good..just take a break and then kind of ease into it again...went a bit overboard...I have 3 months of vacation so it's been vape city over here. Moderation is a problem - to be worked on.

Also I don't wanna knock anyone elses use. I know some people that quit get totally mean spirited towards those that still partake (regardless of what). Whatever works, you know?

I still keep my nano on my desk's shelf just as a nice piece of decor. It's probably the nicest made thing I own. Maybe I'll use my free time to build a display case :lol:

Has anyone tried vaping other herbs in their nano, like cammomile? I have a long list of herbs to try, but wondering if anyone here has experimented?

I keep checking this thread too, just because of the great vibes :)

Hah, yeah and a 220V version! That'd be an insta-buy.

Probably a manufacturing defect. Contact customer service immedeatly! ;)

howie105,

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Hope I didn't confuse or mislead anyone with the whole "celebrity" Carol King thing in my earlier post. That was a case of me floating on the ceiling and trying to be funny and being stupid instead.

I should probably adopt the same rule for posting that I have for power tools: Not while medicated. Never dreamed anyone might think: a) @CarolKing was really Carol King and b) I'm a reliable source of information.

I certainly hope I didn't cause @CarolKing any grief as I have a lot of respect for her and her presence on FC. Also I'm sorry if I created any drama and sent things spiralling off-topic here, because the only real star in this thread is the e-Nano by EpicVape!

BabyFacedFinster

My 14mm nano gong was getting a little gunky with reclaim, so yesterday I took a small piece of organic cotton and swabbed out half the reclaim with a wooden skewer. Tonight is the second night I have gotten completely fucked up off of that first swabbing. I still have the rest of the gong to wipe clean and still don't know how much is left on this first cleaning. I'm gonna try and kill it right now:

Edit: :razz: There's still some left.

It would have been a sin to wash this reclaim down the drain with iso. It doesn't taste like huckleberries or fresh lemons, but it don't taste half bad and it sure catches you by the boo boo.

I'm so crescent fresh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom