Baron23

@sk8man121 sounds like your glass built in screen might be faulty. It shouldn't be that close to the heater. Try also turning your heat down a little. I would contact EpicVape if it's a problem. Some there are flaws in glass. Each piece turns out a hair different.

^^ +1. i have both adjustable and glass screen stems and GonGs. The fixed glass stems definitely should provide enough space for a load....but a load about .05 to .07 grams max depending on grind and dampness of the herb.

I personally like the adjustable baskets a bit better, but the glass screen ones should work. I did get a GonG that was very hard to get over the heater stem. Emailed Epic, they acknowledge that some of them aren't quite right, and they shipped out a replacement the same day. I would take a pic showing relationship of the glass screen to heater end and send it to them with an inquiry.

Oh, and I also agree with @CarolKing that a J hook is one of the most useful tools you will buy for vaping.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
After much thought I had decided not to get a water tool after getting my Nano as it seemed perfectly fine without. But now almost three months later I find my throat and mouth to be a little irritated. My real concern with a water tool is I can see no possible reason I would want to finish a bowl in one or two hits. To me, the ritual is as important (ok, almost as important) as the taste, high, etc. I want to go up and savor my time with the Nano. So having very little experience with any sort of bong, is it possible to sip it somehow? Or alternatively would a J-Hook cool down the vapor significantly? I was looking at the Cane Gun which is about 9 inches, so about 3 inches more glass than a nano stem. Is that enough?

I find a j-hook will cool things down a bit, but is very dependent on how much volume is in the particular j-hook. My favorite one isn't too airy, but cools a little. Nothing like anything with water.

The ritual with a water tool is a little different, but still a ritual. I enjoy pretty much the same ritual nearly every night with one or another of my bubblers. You don't have to finish a bowl in one or two hits. I'm kind of confused by what you're saying here. You can easily put the nano on the bubbler or take it off. I usually don't leave mine sitting on top for very long. So, very easy to sip, or take a few sips, put it down and come back to it later. Do this all the time, too. If you have time to wait, I'd suggest you pick up a simple central perc bubbler from China. Very cheap, but may take a month to get to you. Lately reports are that glass is reaching the states in about 10 days. Many, many options, but this would be my suggestion for a starter piece or if you aren't sure. Really tough to beat for less than $35! And, this is a proven reliable seller on DHGate. Again, many others. Just let us know here if you're looking for something different.

A couple things you want to keep in mind with any of them. Keep it simple (like the one I linked). More percs and diffusion and all that crap will rob your flavor. This one can be easily used with a moderate steady draw and won't take much flavor at all away from your vaping.

Hey guys, I recently broke out my E-Nano after purchasing one of the new (to me) stems w/ built-in glass screen and am running into a ton of trouble. I notice that the screen sits just above the heater, which leaves literally almost no space at all for herbs. The herbs I'm putting in and packing down are combusting with fast draws at heat level 7.

What am I doing wrong, here? Clearly there's got to be a tried-and-true technique that I'm overlooking.

Not sure of what depth of glass screens should be these days, but first thing you want to do is TURN THE HEAT DOWN! It's a vape, not an electric lighter. If you're combusting the first two things you want to do is get further away from the heat, and throw less heat at your load. If you can't get further away, use less heat. I'd check with epic about the glass screen depth, too.

Someone, I think in this thread, but it could have been elsewhere (I'm sure I was vaped at the time,) suggested putting a little bit of water in the bottom of the j-hook, just enough to sit in the curve and that's a mighty fine suggestion, I like that a lot.

Works pretty well, but be very careful - especially when vaped. Water will slosh around in there quite a bit, and depending on your j-hook it may not take much to soak your load - or even worse get some water in your nano. Definitely not a good thing!

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
Thanks @flotntoke, you gave me a lot of good advice when I was first looking into water tools, but I decided not to go for it. Now that I decided to get one, I was looking at this one from TAG:
https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/water-pipe-51-100/products/fixed-showerhead-froth-diffuser

I would go with the D020-D but now that I want one I want it NOW. So, would this one be OK?

I think my misunderstanding regarding bongs and such is because the videos are all like “watch me finish a gram in one hit” sort of deals. And, even though I’ve been smoking (now vaping) pretty much every day since 1971, I’ve hit a bong only a handful of times. I really do think with the amount of vaping I’m doing I need to cool it off a bit though, at least some of the time.

EverythingsHazy

Who here heat soaks their gong/stem before a hit? I almost never did before, because I don't want to cause some of the actives to evaporate off while waiting, but it seems like it might help get thicker hits, especially with the stem, and for quick and full extraction. What's everyone's opinion?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I usually like to use ground cannabis probably a medium grind. Some folks use nuggets. I do heat soak for about 30 seconds before I take my first draw. I have pretty think clouds from the get go but the second and third draw gets thicker.

I have some Mendo Blue Dream in my Enano right now and using my j hook. I picked up an 1/8 of this, it's a very nice strain. Mendo Purp and DJ Short Blueberry. I tried a gram of it last week. I'm intrigued by the water in the j hook. I might want to try that.

Another thing I might add that if you use too much cannabis you will get a restricted draw. The heater butts up against the packed product and the air flow will be restricted. Just take some out and start again.

Finding what works well for you can take some practice but that makes it all more the fun. Check out different temperatures and different amounts of medication.

What's brewing in your Nano tonight?

A very cold night in the Pac NW. We have an extra comforter on the bed and have stocked up the wood stove. It looks like a lot of the country and Canada have some really cold weather. I just looked out and it's snowing.

We will need to unthaw the hummingbird feeder in warm water in the morning. We get year around hummingbirds and they are hungry all the time.

Drinking some hot cocoa with a bit of medicated coconut oil. Not too much or I will wake up too tired with a cannabis hangover.

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Being a while, missing a lot of reading but I want to report 2 nice findings (maybe already known)

- new silicone sleeves can be used as an universal 14 to 18 adapter

- The pax scoop (by new vape) fits nicely nano bowl, half a scoop provides a good repeatable dosing service without messing around

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Thanks @flotntoke, you gave me a lot of good advice when I was first looking into water tools, but I decided not to go for it. Now that I decided to get one, I was looking at this one from TAG:
https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/water-pipe-51-100/products/fixed-showerhead-froth-diffuser

I would go with the D020-D but now that I want one I want it NOW. So, would this one be OK?

I think my misunderstanding regarding bongs and such is because the videos are all like “watch me finish a gram in one hit” sort of deals. And, even though I’ve been smoking (now vaping) pretty much every day since 1971, I’ve hit a bong only a handful of times. I really do think with the amount of vaping I’m doing I need to cool it off a bit though, at least some of the time.

That one doesn't look too bad for that price. TAG stuff is mostly Chinese pieces from the same sources as we get on DHGate with their sticker slapped on there. Surprised they didn't have their version of the one I linked. They usually have stuff a little closer - but guess stock down with holidays. 2 things I don't prefer with this one, but may work fine for you and be worth the time trade-off.

The GonG (nano) side is offset instead of dead center on top (a Dewar joint). It may be fine with nano on it, or topsy turvy sitting on a table. Not a real problem because I don't think it is the best idea to leave the nano on top for too long. But, it is handy if a good cough pops up (sometimes I get a little too greedy when the vapor is tasty!) and for heat soaking. Most bubblers with Dewar joint allow it to stay stable with nano on top. Hard to say for sure just looking at a picture, but some (especially with this cheap, thin Chinese glass) won't stand on their own at all with a nano on the GonG.

Also, a little more percolation than I like for vapor. But, more of a personal preference than a lot of flavor robbing with this one. I used to have a perc like this (passed it on to a friend if that tells you anything) and should be fine if you hit it slow and steady until it is full of vapor. After that you can sip or rip.

Glad to hear you're thinking about moving up to glass/water. It does make a big difference that I think most appreciate.

Who here heat soaks their gong/stem before a hit? I almost never did before, because I don't want to cause some of the actives to evaporate off while waiting, but it seems like it might help get thicker hits, especially with the stem, and for quick and full extraction. What's everyone's opinion?

I do when it starts getting chilly. Think there is a pretty big difference on the first hit when glass is less than 70 F. If you heat soak for 20 - 60 secs all that seems to be happening is glass and top of load warms up. There is much discussion way back in this thread about whether leaving your nano on the load for longer periods (up to 5 mins) releases any actives. I took a while to convince me, but I tend to agree (heat is over load and heat rises...). It will start to after long enough period of time, because of heating glass more & more and more heat buildup on load. But, takes a while to get there. If I pick up a GonG up and it feels cool I'll usually heat soak for 30 seconds or so. By the second hit, it doesn't matter too much. When hitting a recently reloaded one it is usually warm enough for me, too. The warmer your load is before you hit it, the closer to vapor temp it is, so you create more/thicker vapor on your hit.

howie105

I don't heat soak most of the time because I can cook out the small loads I like to use in one or two hits most of the time without soaking. If I am loading for other folks some get better results with a heat soak . I guess it all comes down to that big list of variables we all have when vapeing, heat, draw rates, grinds, etc. A notable exception to the no soak thing is if am running a little BHO on top of a load of bud. The additional heat in the glass helps to get the BHO off the transfer tool as well as in the cooking of the load.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
After much thought I had decided not to get a water tool after getting my Nano as it seemed perfectly fine without. But now almost three months later I find my throat and mouth to be a little irritated. My real concern with a water tool is I can see no possible reason I would want to finish a bowl in one or two hits. To me, the ritual is as important (ok, almost as important) as the taste, high, etc. I want to go up and savor my time with the Nano. So having very little experience with any sort of bong, is it possible to sip it somehow? Or alternatively would a J-Hook cool down the vapor significantly? I was looking at the Cane Gun which is about 9 inches, so about 3 inches more glass than a nano stem. Is that enough?

I agree with @flotntoke. There's no need to take huge high temp hits with water. You can use your E-Nano through water however you would like. You can even use it with a water pipe and no water. This will provide more cooling and flavor but no moisturization or filtration.

You may have to make a few adjustments to get the desired results, but the nano is flexible enough to handle almost any task!

I could see how it could help, especially at lower temps. The way I use the nano I've never felt the need to heat soak my chamber at all. I get thick vapor production almost immediately. I'm surprised I never tried the heat soak method yet, I'll do that soon.

I say try it out, it's fun experimenting. With the nano there's little to lose if you don't like the results. Just make some adjustments and pack another micro load.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions. I just ordered a D020-d from Sunshinestore. I was hesitant to order, now of course I can’t wait for it to get here.

Don't worry and enjoy it. You'll be buying more glass in the future anyway. This can be a hobby of upgrades and stuff.. There is always something new that catches your eye. I got a closet full of shit. Some stuff I use, other stuff I wonder why I wasted the money. Glass is money well spent. BTW I like the TAG stuff also.

I have always shunned dhgate, but recently I made the plunge myself. I picked up an Arizer Air for quick sessions and when I travel. I needed some water cooling that was more portable. The sunshinestore sells those little hydrotubes for 20 bucks so I finally said what the heck.
http://www.dhgate.com/product/pinnacle-pro-glass-smoking-water-pipe-vaporblunt/184494946.html
The sunshinestore packed it up very well and it was at my doorstep in under 2 weeks. I would buy from them again. Also, the glass was a lot thicker than I thought it would be. You could use it with the nano if you didn't care about your herb touching the heater, which I don't.

Last edited:

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
Don't worry and enjoy it. You'll be buying more glass in the future anyway.

It’s all good. The ordering process and registration were painless, and to further assuage my apprehension the darn thing has already shipped. Not sure I’ll come down with GAS, but I do foresee a J-Hook in my arsenal somewhere down the line.

You could use it with the nano if you didn't care about your herb touching the heater, which I don't.

Yeah, I stopped worrying about that about 10 minutes after firing up the Nano the first time. In fact, I stopped worrying about a whole lot of stuff about ten minutes after firing up the Nano the first time.

GetLeft

A pinch, literally, and one good hit. Later, a second hit from that original load and maybe a third even later. It's not often I get to that third hit unless I get started with my vaping on the early side of my day. If I do two back to back hits on a fresh load with the nano I'm toasted and basically useless for a while so I tend to stick to one.

EverythingsHazy

A pinch, literally, and one good hit. Later, a second hit from that original load and maybe a third even later. It's not often I get to that third hit unless I get started with my vaping on the early side of my day. If I do two back to back hits on a fresh load with the nano I'm toasted and basically useless for a while so I tend to stick to one.
Wow, your tolerance is very low.
I vape 2 e-nano stems per session...weight total= .40
.40g in two stems? You can't be keeping the screen at the e-pik distance right? Unless you're packing powder into there...

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
I keep the adjustable screen at default distance and cram about .075 in the stem. One stem per session. I smoked for many, many years and have a ridiculously high tolerance, but one Nano stem and I’m good. Usually. Every so often I’ll follow up with a Vapman chaser, but that’s rare. Even rarer is two stems a session, but it does happen.

Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o

".40g in two stems? You can't be keeping the screen at the e-pik distance right? Unless you're packing powder into there."

My mistake- .040g - .050g for 2 e-nano stems.
.40g is what I load the Mighty and Volcano.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Well, I went to give that hydrotube from dhgate a try on the nano and of course I don't have a 14 mm gong. I just ordered one from Epic, which I don't mind doing but... damn if I don't have drawers and drawers of hippy shit around here. Gongs, bongs, silicone containers, picks, nails, jars and boveda packs. I really can't even keep track of all the stuff and where it all is. Now I will add another gong to pile. It will come in handy until I misplace it and need to order another.

Baron23

".40g in two stems? You can't be keeping the screen at the e-pik distance right? Unless you're packing powder into there."

My mistake- .040g - .050g for 2 e-nano stems.
.40g is what I load the Mighty and Volcano.
That's me too. Two loads, each about .05 - .07 and I'm well done if I haven't been hitting the concentrates lately.

Nano extracts beautifully, IMO

BabyFacedFinster

I just loaded the nano gong with a salad mix.

That would be the last few little buds from 2 or 3 strain jars all ground up together in my little jelly jar. I then dug under the layer of ground flower and scooped up a big sandy load of kief that gathers at the bottom of the jar and topped off the bowl.

:goat: <------ Remember the goat? Don't hate on this goat

mucsusn

60 going on 20
Well, I went to give that hydrotube from dhgate a try on the nano and of course I don't have a 14 mm gong. I just ordered one from Epic, which I don't mind doing but... damn if I don't have drawers and drawers of hippy shit around here. Gongs, bongs, silicone containers, picks, nails, jars and boveda packs. I really can't even keep track of all the stuff and where it all is. Now I will add another gong to pile. It will come in handy until I misplace it and need to order another.
OMG, that's the same place I'm in....I have so many great pieces, and it's getting harder and harder to keep track of the detritus........first world problems, indeed!

Top Bottom