TommyDee

Vaporitor
Hitting with a fully open air port results in what I call Shandy vapour.
True you get a big cloud but it is not dense it is diluted and that makes a huge difference to the effect.
I suspect there is a transformation that happens when the vapor hits oxygen making the vape more visible. I find that doing direct draws as heating to produce very little cloud but a very effective extraction and delivery.

I also find that strains vary greatly at what temperature the vape is released. Some have a lot of vape at the terp level where others are whispy. Some have clouds forever and others just truncate at the higher temps. Several strains have a 'dead zone' between the money hit and the late releases. Some simply don't have a lot of vape.

Wide open air ports don't do it for me. Seems that once the draw has taken on oxygen, it also has trouble condensing on lung tissue.

I suspect oxidation also plays a role in the reek. Funny how right next to someone vaping, there is very little scent. Yet, in the corners of the room where the vape is getting stale, you might as well smoke a joint. Smells about the same.

These nuances make for such varied opinions regarding device performance. For me, it is about the hurt a device can induce in my lungs. This tells me just how dense the vape really is. Open air ports cause no hurt at all. That's a good thing for a lot of people. For me it means I've under-medicated.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Funny how right next to someone vaping, there is very little scent. Yet, in the corners of the room where the vape is getting stale, you might as well smoke a joint. Smells about the same.

1. Mr Dee vapes ten back to back bowls in the lounge.

2. Stands up, takes a deep breath and nods approvingly.

3. Goes to a corner of the room with his handy step ladder and climbs up......takes a long deep breath.....tilts his head.......raises his brow......strokes his beard while deep in thought...........

4. Mrs Dee, who has been in the room the whole time.....looks up from her phone......briefly shakes her head....then takes a snapshot and proceeds to post it in the Dee family facebook chat.

zatonic

i always hit it closed for the first second or two, then feather a bit, then fully open. draws more heat down from the cap and into the bowl.
I would add that a slow draw in the beginning too so the air has time to warm up?

I’m finding the best hit is going past the click, but finding how long with your heating source is the sweet spot. Start with one second at a time until you get that tasty throat hit

I'm sure this has been done but it sure hits nice at home

UnidenWallet

vGrCuxT.jpg
I love my dynavap… using it with a zippo double torch lighter. Nice and small, only caveat is I have to refill the thing about every 5-7 hits

My_50p_worth

@coolbreeze @Bad Dog

I’m still of the opinion that these mods enable the Anvil style hits through an increased convection capability

Try hitting it with and without airflow restriction (air THROUGH the hot tip and FMJ) and you’ll find the results to be fairly different.

This shouldn’t really be the case with a primarily conduction based extraction means, which leads me to believe that passing air IS being heated to vaping temps and does have a significant role when you’re going for an RTL hit

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I've tried out most of my combos including the captive I just grabbed, the low temp captive, and my unbranded spare from 2019 and my old 5 fin ti tip and 19m tip. for the best one hitter I'm liking my unbranded cap and 19 tip and avb is a perfect brown, the captive is a little lighter but still fully extracted in one hit and the low temp is obviously the lightest but I could probably get 2 hits with it if I only went to the first click for hit 1 then a little passed the second click for hit 2. so far I've only been going to the second click and haven't messed around with stopping at the first. abv is fully extracted in one hit but is lighter then a typical dyna session, a second hit gives espresso abv but that second hit is pure wisp and not worth taking and I say that as a notorious efficiency vaper! I even threw the abv after one cycle into my enail Vrod and got nothing there as well, totally done. abv with the fmj is much more like my enail than my usual Dynavap session.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
just got my fmj.......... does anyone else think it skews the ratio of conduction/convection to more convection?????

The way I understand it a DV bowl gets conduction heat while we heat it and convection while we hit it. I would expect any technique or gadget being able to minimize the time we need to actually heat the tip and / or prolong the time until the cooldown click to give us more convection vapor – not sure if that's even remotely true, but it sure feels like that. My IHs are fairly quick (4 - 6 seconds heat up times) and that always give me the impression of having more convection going on as opposed to the classic torch method, or even other IHs; I remember the Portside Mini (~10+ secs heat up) which I owned several years ago being much closer to a torch session.

My_50p_worth

The way I understand it a DV bowl gets conduction heat while we heat it and convection while we hit it. I would expect any technique or gadget being able to minimize the time we need to actually heat the tip and / or prolong the time until the cooldown click to give us more convection vapor – not sure if that's even remotely true, but it sure feels like that. My IHs are fairly quick (4 - 6 seconds heat up times) and that always give me the impression of having more convection going on as opposed to the classic torch method, or even other IHs; I remember the Portside Mini (~10+ secs heat up) which I owned several years ago being much closer to a torch session.
Totally agree.

For me it seems to extend the conduction period right to the cool-down click, but if I try and hit it in a way that minimises convection (fully open airport, slow draws) I’ll get a roast not too far off a stock setup but more evenly done

I truly believe the overall one hit extraction is dictated by how much air you allow through the material, maybe on paper it shouldn’t be that way but the reality always seems to align with this opinion

My_50p_worth,
Reactions: Siebter

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
In case anyone missed it, @iDRINKBLEACH made a great tutorial. DIY Dremel magic.

ezpz

Howzit everyone. I jumped on the fmj hype train a few days ago. I like it because it's cheap, and no more spinning. However, I can't seem to get full extraction off one heat cycle. It doesn't matter what I do, I always need 2. So I decided to try a hit from click to click. Somehow, I lose my vapor. Confused? So am I. Here's what I mean........

Spoiler alert: This is the most unsatisfactory cloudage video ever.

Is the vapor just going into my lungs and saying, "Fuck it. I like it here. I think I'll stay." My wife suggested that maybe I'm blowing smoke out my ass. I tried enlisting her, but she refused to check. Thoughts?

Bad Dog

Howzit everyone. I jumped on the fmj hype train a few days ago. I like it because it's cheap, and no more spinning. However, I can't seem to get full extraction off one heat cycle. It doesn't matter what I do, I always need 2. So I decided to try a hit from click to click. Somehow, I lose my vapor. Confused? So am I. Here's what I mean........

Spoiler alert: This is the most unsatisfactory cloudage video ever.

Is the vapor just going into my lungs and saying, "Fuck it. I like it here. I think I'll stay." My wife suggested that maybe I'm blowing smoke out my ass. I tried enlisting her, but she refused to check. Thoughts?
how are you torching?

Bad Dog,

Bad Dog

are you using the thin wispy flame to heat? or the bright intense flame? I use the flame pretty low and just barely touch the wispy flame to the fmj. my circle fluctuates between the size of the s to all the way to the bottom of the fmj to a bit above the s at its biggest. going to the second click I get a hit equal to my Vrod at 575 on the pid in extraction and colour which is a medium brown and fully extracted, even if you jump temp you only get wisp, my fmj is the same, hit it twice and all I get is nothing and darker abv but who cares when there is no cloud, not worth the effort! I'm using a unbranded cap on a 19m tip.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I don’t have FMJ but I suspect mines almost identical. I have had no problem one shots. I go past my click just a bit. Shoot my flame at the bottom of the cap still. Do you have a low temp cap?

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: Planck

ezpz

I heat it the same as @Bad Dog
Lowest sustainable setting, barely touching the fmj, shiny circle barely covering the S, heat about 5 seconds after second click. SS tip but i don't know what year. Regular temp captive cap.

I apologize for not being clear earlier. I'm not upset about 2 heat-ups. And I rarely use my dynas on a WP. But in pursuit of the single heat extraction, I noticed that although I can white wall the WP, very wispy vapor was exhaled. Thought that was weird. It wasn't bad lighting. Every click to click draw I tried, looked milky, but wispy upon exhale.

On my second heat-up, the cloud is maybe half the size, (maybe less) of the first heat cycle.

ezpz,
Reactions: Bad Dog

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Next time I need to run to the hardware store I will get more copper and try out a half band on the bottom instead of the copper almost reaching the tip of the cap that makes it click. I was wondering if that would cause a faster click since the copper disperses the heat onto the “low temp” torching spots.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
its definitely obtainable, my captive is a little tamer then my unbranded but not by much??? I even recored my first session so you could see....... but there's a lot of really racist cat comments I made :dog:
Yeah post that bad boy up. Haha I’ll make sure to cover Smokey’s ears.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: ezpz
Top Bottom