tblast

Probably worth emailing DynaVap to see what they say. Maybe they got a weird batch of hemp fiber? Maybe it's not degummed or something (not that I really know what "degumming" involves, just guessing).

I think I'll leave them alone on this minor issue, as the other comments I've read on the Hemp seem to echo some of my issues, even if no one else is getting the same barnyard smell that I am from the fiber.

However, I will post a picture to make sure that mine looks right!

VYhpg1f_d.jpg

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help on this. This thread is just astonishingly helpful, and a great companion to our beloved vapcaps!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I think I'll leave them alone on this minor issue, as the other comments I've read on the Hemp seem to echo some of my issues, even if no one else is getting the same barnyard smell that I am from the fiber.

However, I will post a picture to make sure that mine looks right!

VYhpg1f_d.jpg

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help on this. This thread is just astonishingly helpful, and a great companion to our beloved vapcaps!
Your hemp is quite dark compared to my hemp, (which is about as white as 50% cream). Which suggests that there's still some of the plant resins left in your fibre.

There's almost no smell at all from my fibres, if anything it smells more like the plastic bag it's stored in than anything resembling hay or dry plant material.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@tblast , mine, too, is almost white; a greyish, beigy white. When I put my nose in it, it smells to me like rancid cooking oil.

FYI, "Lignin is a product of the hemp plant which holds fibres together and gives the stalks their rigidity. When removed from the fibers, they begin to separate, becoming softer and finer. The traditional process of degumming hemp fibres from the stalk (retting) involves placing small bundles of stalks in water tanks, open retting ponds or running river water while the stalk rots and the fibres are separated from the woody core. Water retting is linked to water pollution as nutrients from the decaying stalks promote high levels of BOD and COD. Alternatives to water retting exist and include among others: dew retting, where plants are left to decompose on the ground with the right conditions of heat and moisture; and enzyme retting, in which enzymes are applied to the flax either in the field or in tanks and which avoid pollution problems associated with the traditional method."

Last edited:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@Vapppo Thank you so much. Made my day on this thread :lol: :tup::wave:

But next time please contact the sender before posting it public if you should think he was sending drugs to you ;)
How can you guess that a serious retailer would send you any drugs internationally as a goodie?? :o
If this would be the case it would probably a mistake, agree?

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
hm, any fiber has 2 endings, when it gets heated and cooled a few times it gets porous and should emitt fine dust particles - won't do that to my lungs
A real fine mesh screen or ss liquid pads are safer
- to cut a screen to size, i used some volcano fine mesh screen, fixated the 'ccd' with 2 magnets and cut around with some nail scissors

This is a bit of cause for concern for me, and probably much more for others who always use a hemp filter (not just for trates on occasion). I haven't noticed it in use, but I only use it as a bed for trates and it gets pretty gooey and don't usually have it in too long.

I did a little looking and couldn't find any info about this. Could you provide a source?

@Vapppo Thank you so much. Made my day on this thread :lol: :tup::wave:

But next time please contact the sender before posting it public if you should think he was sending drugs to you ;)
How can you guess that a serious retailer would send you any drugs internationally as a goodie?? :o

Great point about keeping this on the downlow!

Oh, and what a wonderful mistake it would be! If that tub of DynaWax were some kind of concentrate, it would be a HUGE stash.

Vapppo

Vaping in Italy since too short!

I was actually thinking that it was a legal concentrare extracted from other non-illegal material. While i definitely use the vapcap for our beloved flower, MJ is not the only material i vape...

And to an illegal country nonetheless...

Ben fatto, diffondi il verbo!

Ebbene sì. E sono in forte espansione tra i miei amici!

tblast

@tblast, the hemp I have is a lot lighter in color than yours. Mine is almost white, and has no noticible odor.

Your hemp is quite dark compared to my hemp, (which is about as white as 50% cream). Which suggests that there's still some of the plant resins left in your fibre.

There's almost no smell at all from my fibres, if anything it smells more like the plastic bag it's stored in than anything resembling hay or dry plant material.

@tblast , mine, too, is almost white; a greyish, beigy white. When I put my nose in it, it smells to me like rancid cooking oil.

FYI, "Lignin is a product of the hemp plant which holds fibres together and gives the stalks their rigidity. When removed from the fibers, they begin to separate, becoming softer and finer. The traditional process of degumming hemp fibres from the stalk (retting) involves placing small bundles of stalks in water tanks, open retting ponds or running river water while the stalk rots and the fibres are separated from the woody core. Water retting is linked to water pollution as nutrients from the decaying stalks promote high levels of BOD and COD. Alternatives to water retting exist and include among others: dew retting, where plants are left to decompose on the ground with the right conditions of heat and moisture; and enzyme retting, in which enzymes are applied to the flax either in the field or in tanks and which avoid pollution problems associated with the traditional method."

Welp, looks like I got a weird batch of hemp. I guess I'll try again whenever I order next. Do you think it's worth alerting Dynavap to my issue?

Thanks everyone!

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
This is a bit of cause for concern for me, and probably much more for others who always use a hemp filter (not just for trates on occasion). I haven't noticed it in use, but I only use it as a bed for trates and it gets pretty gooey and don't usually have it in too long.

I did a little looking and couldn't find any info about this. Could you provide a source?
Nothing directly vape related, don't think that has been researched till now. The key words hemp fibre/cotton + fine dust show some general studies of other sectors eg:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11583659
So as far as vaping goes it can only be talked in subjunctive.
Dry weed itself should also emit some fine dust, and the fiber could add some - probably it's less than combustion, but still more then it would be without the fiber. That possibility is enough for me to let it be, esp bc the fine screens are a more sustianable solution.
If u imagine a fiber as a string of molecules holding together by their hands, the first and last in row can only hold on with one hand (foldings are weak points too). Now add some thermal stress degradation, 'the hands get sweaty' (bindings loosen up with heat) and a little mechanical force of airflow and the molecules fly away...
if i remember correct it's around 5 micrometer particles that get absorbed directly by the lung - can't see that even on a glass condenser, measuring that stuff is hard too.
i've done some research on solar panel degradation with climate chambers - the conditions in the tip exceed that temperature wise, organic fiber will degrade in that environment no matter what. Maybe fine dust only peaks at a later point of degradation/crispyness or maybe not. It just feels strange to me having something in a vape that needs to be changed regularly (besides herb :D ).
imo hemp fibers are better used for jeans :tup:

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Welp, looks like I got a weird batch of hemp. I guess I'll try again whenever I order next. Do you think it's worth alerting Dynavap to my issue?

Thanks everyone!

You are the second instance I've read in this thread of someone reporting that their hemp fibers are unpleasant to use. I think there may be a bad batch and therefore it's certainly worth letting @VapCap know.

I'm sure they will see you right.

Let then know that the material is:
  • Darker than it should be
  • Let's off vapour is heated
  • Strong smell of.... what was it now? Somewhere between a horse paddock and something a made?
At least if they know about it they can lookout for darker samples and a quick sniff will confirm it. :2c:

mourningbell

Certified human
Omnivap + Incredibowl COMBO! ===> Meet the Incredivape

Soooo happy to use my incredibowl again. Retired my Incredibowl as I only vape now.

Works quite well, but airflow is a little restricted when you have the purge carb closed.

I also have an Incredibowl that I no longer use so this is very interesting. Is the vapor through the M420 cooler than it is regularly?

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
Hey guys,

Loving my M as previously noted and ready to dig deeper into the Dynavap rabbithole! What should my next purchase be? Upgrade for the M? Different unit altogether?

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Nothing directly vape related, don't think that has been researched till now. The key words hemp fibre/cotton + fine dust show some general studies of other sectors eg:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11583659
So as far as vaping goes it can only be talked in subjunctive.
Dry weed itself should also emit some fine dust, and the fiber could add some - probably it's less than combustion, but still more then it would be without the fiber. That possibility is enough for me to let it be, esp bc the fine screens are a more sustianable solution.
If u imagine a fiber as a string of molecules holding together by their hands, the first and last in row can only hold on with one hand (foldings are weak points too). Now add some thermal stress degradation, 'the hands get sweaty' (bindings loosen up with heat) and a little mechanical force of airflow and the molecules fly away...
if i remember correct it's around 5 micrometer particles that get absorbed directly by the lung - can't see that even on a glass condenser, measuring that stuff is hard too.
i've done some research on solar panel degradation with climate chambers - the conditions in the tip exceed that temperature wise, organic fiber will degrade in that environment no matter what. Maybe fine dust only peaks at a later point of degradation/crispyness or maybe not. It just feels strange to me having something in a vape that needs to be changed regularly (besides herb :D ).
imo hemp fibers are better used for jeans :tup:

I hear what you're saying, and think I get it. Probably a cause for caution, too. But, more of an opinion here, right?

Couple things of note.... When I use hemp, I ball it up and flatten it out - so a lot more going on than molecule chains "holding hands". Also, it gets super gooey with trates, which I think would lead to much less particle fall off.

I'd like to use a screen instead, but find it doesn't prevent goo from making a mess at base of tip and end of condenser. Also, find the hemp easier to work with than other metal solutions. But, may have to go back to screen pieces or my messy cut up trate pads.

Hey guys,

Loving my M as previously noted and ready to dig deeper into the Dynavap rabbithole! What should my next purchase be? Upgrade for the M? Different unit altogether?

I like my M's, but truly prefer the Ti tip. OMNI is a maybe, but truthfully don't see the worth in the added cost - tho must admit I LOVE mine. Ti Woody is what you want IMO. Ti tip, beautiful wood. Or, a Vong. The new ones are sweet. Works in a GonG, and just as well without - with an easy to hold and spin shape.

Used2use

Probably a cause for caution, too. But, more of an opinion here, right?
yes, everyone forges his own luck - but after converting to vaping for health it seems to me a step backwards...
a water tool solves the issue, just not good to carry in the pocket.
the flattening of the fiber ball could break some arms of that poor molecules :goon:, so a fresh filter can have some from the start - maybe washing them in water could help, dunno
gumped up should be positive for that, but adds draw resistance

Used2use,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Hey guys,

My advice to this query now is always gonna be......get an @Pipes induction heater next. It's the biggest difference to my VapCap routine so far.

After that, I'd go for a Ti-Woody-S/UNI.

Couple things of note.... When I use hemp, I ball it up and flatten it out - so a lot more going on than molecule chains "holding hands". Also, it gets super gooey with trates, which I think would lead to much less particle fall off.

Also, isn't the hemp sandwiched between 2x DV screens?

Wouldn't that drastically reduce the wiggle room for those pesky particles and help keep everything together?

Personally I'm not using my hemp fiber at the moment but that's because I'm only really vaping at home using my @phattpiggie WonG through the MFLB Orbiter.

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
Some differences I 've noticed so far between the two tips (SS vs Ti ) :

-The Ti tip gets warm or cool enough to click ,faster than the SS tip.

-The Ti tip is somewhat better/faster/easier at juice extraction.

-The Ti tip does not get that dirty like the SS tip.
Seems as gunk can't "stick" that easy to the metal surface.

-The Ti tip has significally less draw restriction ,versus the SS tip.

-The Ti tip does not burn my fingers that easy ,like the SS tip.
Seems as it stores less heat,for less time.

-Ti tip is ideal / more suited for micro dosing and/or for making VC more of a "sessy" vaporizer.
The SS tip from the other hand,transforms your VC into an awesome "one-hitter" .

-Maybe it's just my idea,but it seems that the vapor produced by the Ti tip ,
is somewhat cooler and more tasty ,than the vapor produced by the SS tip.
(at least for the first couple of hits/tokes ) .

Cheers.

Edit : Say I can find a NonaVong blackwood stem with lots of cracks and pores .
Then mix some water based epoxy with 24K gold fine dust .
And then apply carefully that golden epoxy on the stem ,
so that every crack ,pore ,hole and other surface imperfections will
be thoroughly stuffed with "golden epoxy" .
Let it set for 24 hours.
And then with some fine grained sanding bring the blackwood stem to a natural
"hardwood" luster state .

Can you imagine how that would look ?
Hints:
http://imgur.com/f7ObIqi
http://imgur.com/tjdzCkP

Or instead of gold dust ...
Maybe "glow-in-the-dark" inlays ?

Now that's a way to transform "cracky" wooden stems/bodies ,
into unique pieces of art !

mindblowing work, bravo.:clap::rockon:

(sorry for the old quote guys)

Used2use

Also, isn't the hemp sandwiched between 2x DV screens?

Wouldn't that drastically reduce the wiggle room for those pesky particles and help keep everything together?
For fiber pieces that can be seen with the eyes, yes. But it's about the smaller fine dust ones, which are the size of a few µm or less, that get directly absorbed by the lung alveoli. If they can 'wiggle free' due to heat and degradation, they will be sucked in bc they are eg the size of an O2 molecule.

Summer

Long Island, NY
...Do you think it's worth alerting Dynavap to my issue?

There's no doubt, an employee or, George, himself, is monitoring this thread & all the other boards. So, if he doesn't know already about your hemp issue, he soon will.

@tblast 's post got me to thinking & I just wanted to post my thoughts.

There's no doubt, an employee or, George, himself, is monitoring this thread & all the other boards. So, if he doesn't know already about your hemp issue, he soon will.

From what I clearly convey on this thread for a tad over a month (coupled with viewing G's videos) is that George is a man of very high intellect who has a passion for creativity (witness, his vape), earthly contribution (witnessed by people (us!) that find extreme pleasure, comfort & solace in his creation & righteous
entrepreneurship
(his integrity, as witnessed repeatedly through his exemplary customer service practices, & his manufacturing & marketing skills. And he knows to grow his business slowly & steadily, avoiding pitfalls.

Going back to my childhood in the (gulp!) 60s, watching my father do business, there were no contracts, just a handshake that sealed the deal & both sides lived up to, as it was phrased back then, "their end of the bargain" with fairness & integrity. This is the kind of man I perceive George to be, both in business & in heart. So everyone's affection, admiration & respect for George is based on this humanity.

Also want to say, I'm thrilled I found FC (a group of really great people & info.), and, of course, can't forget, getting 3 vcs. :)

BTW, am officially in love with my vc! :nod: Best sesh yet. :tup: And, I'm still such a fumbling newbie with it. :lol:

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
For fiber pieces that can be seen with the eyes, yes. But it's about the smaller fine dust ones, which are the size of a few µm or less, that get directly absorbed by the lung alveoli. If they can 'wiggle free' due to heat and degradation, they will be sucked in bc they are eg the size of an O2 molecule.

Understood, but having the hemp sandwiched between 2x Ti screens must reduce the amount significantly. Would the compression between the screens also not have a significant impact on the integrity of the filter?

I'm just guessing here, I ain't no scientist and I've performed no science on this :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom