MinnBobber

I have a couple questions about the hemp fiber. First off, it smells kind of funky right out of the box, a little bit of a barnyard smell. Is that normal?

Secondly, I'm not having much luck with using as a filter inside the tip between two screens. I find it turns dark brown and gets pretty crispy after just a bowl or 2, and my condenser quickly gets lined with little shards of hemp. I don't think that's what supposed to be happening! Maybe I'm heating too hot? I heat very low on the cap, but I'm not combusting my herb so I didn't assume it was too hot, I dunno.
...............................................................................................................
My recent hemp from DynaVap has almost no smell. It's in a baggie and I can put my nose right in there and take a huge inhale and I'm like---is that a very very faint slight smell or nothing at all??
Can you take a big inhale of your batch, how weak or strong a smell?

@tblast You said you heat low on the cap, down toward the exposed fins, correct?
That's right over the hemp stash and you heat longer there to get the click so it has more heat exposure time so it's really getting some extreme heat there.
I heat up by the top to get quicker click/ more moderate temps and my hemp does not get crispy. It gets dark brown BUT mostly from the dark brown ABV powder that it catches.

P.S. when you make your hemp filter do you cut long strands but fewer (like 1.5 inch) and spin into a flat disk or some way cut up the hemp into small length bites and pieces?? Never had a single chard of hemp in the condenser as it has to get thru the tiny-holed VC screen/plate so that's very odd.

I took a sample of my VC hemp and spun the Herbalizer up to 445 F to test. Zero vapor. I wondered if I was getting some taste but it was really minimal. I did inhales on Herbie with no material/empty bowl and it "tasted " just like the hemp so I think that's just the "taste" of hot dry air :)

jaidyn

Now I see it was all an evil genius plan.
That 20 turned into 105 with the black woody ti nanovong I ordered from PIU the other day (thanks Randy) and will then be 140 with this and let's say 200 since I need a damn dynastash.

20 frickin dollars. x10. Just like that.

I hope my son is smart enough or athletic enough for a scholarship.....

That's all part of the evil genius that is George at Dynavap. :evil:
No offense meant George, just stating the facts with the utmost respect. :D

tblast

...............................................................................................................
My recent hemp from DynaVap has almost no smell. It's in a baggie and I can put my nose right in there and take a huge inhale and I'm like---is that a very very faint slight smell or nothing at all??
Can you take a big inhale of your batch, how weak or strong a smell?

@tblast You said you heat low on the cap, down toward the exposed fins, correct?
That's right over the hemp stash and you heat longer there to get the click so it has more heat exposure time so it's really getting some extreme heat there.
I heat up by the top to get quicker click/ more moderate temps and my hemp does not get crispy. It gets dark brown BUT mostly from the dark brown ABV powder that it catches.

P.S. when you make your hemp filter do you cut long strands but fewer (like 1.5 inch) and spin into a flat disk or some way cut up the hemp into small length bites and pieces?? Never had a single chard of hemp in the condenser as it has to get thru the tiny-holed VC screen/plate so that's very odd.

I took a sample of my VC hemp and spun the Herbalizer up to 445 F to test. Zero vapor. I wondered if I was getting some taste but it was really minimal. I did inhales on Herbie with no material/empty bowl and it "tasted " just like the hemp so I think that's just the "taste" of hot dry air :)

My hemp from Dynavap has a VERY strong smell, I can't put my finger on it, but it reminds me of smells I used to experience when I would go horseback riding. The odor is noticeable as soon as I open the bag and I don't even need to put my nose up to it, though doing that would be very unpleasant.

My technique has been to heat low on the cap (toward the digger-outer as opposed to the tip) which lets me kill a bowl in 2 or 3 cycles. One cycle of heating like this, with just the hemp in the bowl, leaves the hemp dark brown, and I can crush it into a powder with my fingers. I'm starting with longer hemp strands rolled into a disk attempting to do exactly what Squiby describes. My guess is she vapes at lower temps than I do?

My hemp also definitely is producing vapor (or possibly smoke), as it's clearly visible after a heat-up with hemp in the chamber.

I'd try the same with cotton and see if you get any similar results.

A few others have said the hemp they got from DV was not too good. I got some way back (probably a lifetime supply for me) and really like it. Maybe a different batch? I'll have to try your test and see how it does.

If it's contaminants in the hemp, that's no bueno! But, if it is just the hemp itself - no big deal. It's only really poor cannabis by our standards. Probably a different opinion from those who have used it for so many other purposes.

Nobody wants to impart bad taste on their vapor, but I really hate the "band-aid" taste you get from cotton and prefer the hemp. It's not great, but IME is kind of nutty with a slight after taste of dirt weed. Tastes pretty much the same to me whether in VC or nano when using in the chamber. When I first got it, I tried putting a little piece in the condenser up at the tip end about 1/4 of the way back or so a couple times. Don't recall it imparting any taste at all, but I wasn't a fan of the added draw restriction. I usually hit with airport covered, and that's enough of a pull without adding to it.

The hemp has a better tolerance for heat than cotton, putting any cotton in the tip has had a similar result to the hemp (except that it burns more easily). However, I find the cotton works better as a filter inside the condenser than the hemp does. I can use less cotton than I do hemp because I can spread it thinner and still have it cover the entire path. As a result of using less, i find it's less likely to move down the condenser as i draw and I get easier air flow.

I agree that the cotton imparts a mild band-aid taste, but it's still more preferable than the strong horse-stable taste I get from my batch of the hemp fiber!

It's seeming to me like I just got unlucky with my batch of hemp, oh well. I appreciate all the help, this thread is truly amazing!

Thanks.

Dutch-Mic

@tblast I experienced the same with my attempt to use a hemp filter in the M. It smelled and tasted strongly like "hempcorn". I use the ss tip so can't make a hemp sandwich with the screens. In the future I'll buy a Woody (or only the TI tip) and will hopefully get better results.

Somethin' else (title of a great jazz record by the way). I don't know how it happened, but using the Vaponic perfected my heating technique with the M! Never had such good value for my money :)

snaffle

My hemp from Dynavap has a VERY strong smell, I can't put my finger on it, but it reminds me of smells I used to experience when I would go horseback riding. The odor is noticeable as soon as I open the bag and I don't even need to put my nose up to it, though doing that would be very unpleasant.

It's seeming to me like I just got unlucky with my batch of hemp, oh well.

I got hemp fiber in an order from Dynavap less than a month ago, and it doesn't really have any smell to it. Just stuck my nose in the bag it came in, inhaled deep, and didn't really get anything. I haven't used it in my vapcap yet (waiting on an Omni XL), so I can't comment on how it'll do when heated. I agree it sounds like you have some weird hemp fiber.

I'm starting with longer hemp strands rolled into a disk attempting to do exactly what Squiby describes. My guess is she vapes at lower temps than I do?

I think I recall seeing @Squiby say she generally heats the first cycle lower down the cap (e.g. high temperatures), so I think she ought to be heating the cap to a broadly similar temperature to you. And she isn't the only one who does the hemp sandwich, so I'm sure some other people use it with high temperatures too.

Probably worth emailing DynaVap to see what they say. Maybe they got a weird batch of hemp fiber? Maybe it's not degummed or something (not that I really know what "degumming" involves, just guessing).

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
hm, any fiber has 2 endings, when it gets heated and cooled a few times it gets porous and should emitt fine dust particles - won't do that to my lungs
A real fine mesh screen or ss liquid pads are safer
- to cut a screen to size, i used some volcano fine mesh screen, fixated the 'ccd' with 2 magnets and cut around with some nail scissors

Hippie

I'm wondering if you'd be better off with some fine 100-200 stainless steel mesh like the ecig users use for wicking genesis atomisers. They go a lot finer but I think it will just get clogged up and you'll struggle to get a decent draw with anything over 200.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
The [ceramic?] screen and washers that apparently keep the screen in place came out of my OG when I heated it way beyond normal heating temp (to clean it). I doubt I'll ever be able to get them back into place. Anyone know if I can replace that part with a CCD screen? (I assume the CCD screen is the part that looks kinda like a flower.)

Aimless Ryan,

dboxy

I'm wondering if you'd be better off with some fine 100-200 stainless steel mesh like the ecig users use for wicking genesis atomisers. They go a lot finer but I think it will just get clogged up and you'll struggle to get a decent draw with anything over 200.

I sourced and installed a 350 mesh screen under my ccd and I can say, it's perfect. I used the hemp filter before, which was fine, but I didn't like how it clogged up with fine particles. If I wanted to vape the reclaim, first I had to cut down the dirty part from it to have just the pure honey. I think it's better to have a mesh screen and some hemp in the back of the tip, just a little, to collect all the nice reclaim and I can stick it right in to vape it, without any fine particles which could accidentally combust.

I doesn't clog up, I just blow into it from both sides when it's hot. You can turn it to a light source to check any particles in the mesh, but I don't see any after one week of daily use.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
The [ceramic?] screen and washers that apparently keep the screen in place came out of my OG when I heated it way beyond normal heating temp (to clean it). I doubt I'll ever be able to get them back into place. Anyone know if I can replace that part with a CCD screen? (I assume the CCD screen is the part that looks kinda like a flower.)

Yes. CCD screens - Ti or SS, should fit right in there. Those ceramic ones were the only thing I've seen from DV that weren't great. They really sucked if you you messed with them at all.

Vapppo

Vaping in Italy since too short!
Hi guys, i just received my order from George and team (!!!)

i'm working now and i'll have some fun with my new omni later today, as soon as i go home and I'll attach some pics as soon as i've freedom to do so...

BTW: i found a little present (thank you @VapCap !!!): i guess it's wax or some other kind of concentrates. It's the first time i see something like this (concentrates are not easy to find in Italy!) and i'm wondering:

- what kind of concentrate is it? no smells so i cannot tell.
- how do i use it in my caps? I've an Omni and an M (+ several Ms for friends)

Thank you all in advance!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Hi guys, i just received my order from George and team (!!!)

i'm working now and i'll have some fun with my new omni later today, as soon as i go home and I'll attach some pics as soon as i've freedom to do so...

BTW: i found a little present (thank you @VapCap !!!): i guess it's wax or some other kind of concentrates. It's the first time i see something like this (concentrates are not easy to find in Italy!) and i'm wondering:

- what kind of concentrate is it? no smells so i cannot tell.
- how do i use it in my caps? I've an Omni and an M (+ several Ms for friends)

Thank you all in advance!
It's bees wax, DO NOT VAPE IT.

Use it to:
Lube your parts for assembly
Maintain the finish on your wooden vapcap parts
Prevent chapped lips

Vapppo

Vaping in Italy since too short!
I do have some good flowers for my caps but i can see me trying to vape dynawax in a few hours from now and messing up my beloved M.

This community saved my lungs (and my vapes) several times, and now once again.

Thank you all guys, for preventing me from vaping it!!

Top Bottom