flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Can't be that difficult to turn some wood .
I'm planning on trying myself.
A ( hobbyist grade ) wood lathe is not that expensive.
Cheaper than an OMNI ,actually.
Worth a shot .

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90598224/einhell-tc-ww-1000.asp

Which end do you load the weed?

Nice place to start and funny as shit @Ricardo !! Word to the wise that I hope maybe @phattpiggie & @Winegums will confirm. Lathe sober, vape later. Even a little one like that could probably take a finger or two off if you let your attention wane at the wrong time.

xlr8shun

so then, lets finally get down to the magnet issue..

i bought: (a week or so ago..)
dc1-n52 3/4"x1/16" disc axially magnetized
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC1-N52&cat=168
results in magnet attracting to the edge.. no good..

so i ordered some more, this time:
d82dia 1/2"x1/8" disc diametrically magnetized
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82DIA

and just for good measure, some of these:
b888 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" cube
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B888

the cubes and diametric discs should be here friday, one of these HAS to work.. (hopefully one works, lol)

my theory is, axially magnetized disc magnets have a magnetic field that look like this:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/images/blog/magsw6.jpg
where does the magnet stick? to the end, where the strongest pull is, where all the little arcs get tighter and shorter. right where the north and south poles meet

look at a diametrically magnetized disc magnet magnetic field:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/images/blog/magsw9.jpg
where is the shortest arcs at here? split right down the middle, basically the pole gets rotated 90 degrees to change the effect. if the strongest part is in the center of the magnet, then the cap should stick to the center.

the cubes i got just because they are cube, i can rotate them as needed to have a horizontal or vertical pole, rotated on the x or y axis in 90 degree intervals. meaning i could mount it just about any way i needed, it almost HAS to work, if the cap is repelled at the middle, rotate it 90 degrees, the poles are orientated opposite now, so theoretically, if the discs worked like i think they will, then the cube should work the same way, the cap should attract in the middle

once i figure out how the poles need to be orientated, we can start looking at a stronger magnet, unfortunately if its a diametric disc that ends up working we might not get one that has a really strong pull.. i dont think they make them, maybe a custom order kinda deal, i dont know

AJS

Calm Consistency
Always chillin
S0msCvK.jpg

trailin

Edit: 1 hour later ...
Sad day in Dynavap land ... was heating up the M ... wondering why I wasn't hearing a click and then *oh fuck I didn't wait for the off click it's still hot!* so I yank the end off with my fingers (ballsy I know) and my herb is completely smoking and I cash it out the window asap, meanwhile the cap burned a hole through my shorts and they got stuck together and had to deal with that. Packed a new one and it tastes like shit but is getting better. Will ISO bath today ... that should make it brand new again but damn gross. Going to run 5-8 bowls though it after the ISO bath to coat it with resins...should work.

Last edited:

exime

It depends on the type of material and pack. I've had 3 hits and I've had what felt like 20 hits.

As for damage? It could, but people go a lot longer than 1 second past the click and are okay. What happens is you thought you heard the cool-down click (but you didn't). So you start re-heating an already clicked vapcap. Seconds pass and you start becoming suspicious. As your cap starts turning red, the moment of realization ensues and your heart sinks. Ash. Sadness. Despair.

And I just did it again! So stupid. This time I smoked it because I didn't want to waste it.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The good news is after a clean all is like new again. That's the advantage to metal and glass parts. Unlike plastic or wood they never retain smell or decompose after a clean practically whatever you use. With the exception, I understand, of anodized aluminum and PBW.

mrb

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi @mrb . Would you please bear me in mind should you ever decide to make these for sale?

Thanks

I sure will. I've had fun making these dynastash with scraps of wood from my workshop (mostly oak & mahogany). And while I'm ultimately not planning to turn accessory maker I could maybe do a small run. . ..

Out of interest, what is it people are looking for beyond what is offered from Dynavap? I myself have been playing with two concepts. . .
1) Smaller than the official Dynastash but same functionality for on the go. .
2) Bigger with storage for everything: Dynavap, stash, lighter, spares. . .
But I've since decided I'm not interested in space for lighters after all. Seems pointless as lighters are going to come and go . . .

What is it you guys want? I'm wondering if there is a common theme. . .

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Always chillin
S0msCvK.jpg

trailin

Edit: 1 hour later ...
Sad dad in Dynavap land ... was heating up the M ... wondering why I wasn't hearing a click and then *oh fuck I didn't wait for the off click it's still hot!* so I yank the end off with my fingers (ballsy I know) and my herb is completely smoking and I cash it out the window asap, meanwhile the cap burned a hole through my shorts and they got stuck together and had to deal with that. Packed a new one and it tastes like shit but is getting better. Will ISO bath today ... that should make it brand new again but damn gross. Going to run 5-8 bowls though it after the ISO bath to coat it with resins...should work.

And I just did it again! So stupid. This time I smoked it because I didn't want to waste it.

I did that yesterday at work, standin on the balcony hitting the M and a co worker comes out to smoke his bowl, we start talkin, i get distracted...

Damn!... had to clean it when i got home

Happens to all of us sooner or later. I fortunately haven't had one in quite a while. Maybe I've finally trained myself well enough? Hope you're OK @AJS ! Sounds like it was a nasty one.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Out of interest, what is it people are looking for beyond what is offered from Dynavap? I myself have been playing with two concepts. . .
But I've since decided I'm not interested in space for lighters after all. Seems pointless as lighters are going to come and go . . .
I'll tell you what I would like. I would like a stash that holds my VC on one side and on the other there is a sealed container for goods. Either glass with a cork or some other kind of container that actually seals. I am always worrying that my top will twist open or the pungent aroma of good stuff will over power the (not completely sealed) twist closure of the Dynastash.

My old dugout had a sliding closure that sealed a little better than the DSs, but was also a little harder to use, especially when in humid weather. That might be better, but best would be something that really seals.

I suspect the hardest part of something like this would be sourcing the container.

And, btw @Arielle.Dynavap or whoever is watching the thread :wave:, this doesn't have to be third party, I just have a feeling that you guys have bigger fish to fry and one of these other guys will get to this first.

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
I sure will. I've had fun making these dynastash with scraps of wood from my workshop (mostly oak & mahogany). And while I'm ultimately not planning to turn accessory maker I could maybe do a small run. . ..

If you decide to do this, I would like a double garage (2 slots) with the length to fit my @phattpiggie long stems with vc tips. The stem I have now is 131mm long, so probably an interior depth of 135mm or so. I am getting another one made at some point when my name comes up on the list, and can tailor the length of it to match the one I now have.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@stardustsailor It's not that difficult to turn wood, practice is all that's needed.
I would avoid the burr woods to start with, they have a mind of their own at the diameters and wall thickness's you'd be turning and it's gutting when you turn a really pretty piece and it cracks.

Nice little lathe you linked but you'd also need a chuck and drill chuck and drill bits and chisels etc. etc., you'd probably be spending the same again on all the other stuff you need.
And as you've seen already Wood Acquisition is very real as is Tool Acquisition, they will get hold of you.

@flotntoke's advice is all good, pen blanks will be fine for stems and maybe some 18mm pieces but drills wonder and what starts in the middle at the point of entry can end up well off centre at the other end.

As for vaping and turning, at first I would avoid mixing the pair.
I 'throw caution to the vapor' and do vape and turn, but I am a very hands on type of person it all becomes second nature.

That being said there is a difference between vaped and stoned, I never turn stoned.

It still pays to be very diligent, sharp objects in your hand and pieces of wood spinning in front of you can be dangerous, even when straight.
I got hit in the chest with a chuck the other day because I got side tracked and forgot to tighten it up, and I hadn't been partaking, so please be careful.

I encourage anyone to get stuck in and have a go, this has been the most satisfying and fun thing I've done 'work' wise. Everyone is welcome to PM if they need a bit of help.

As @PeteSeattle will probably have found since he met him, the other person you will find who is full of encouragement to people wishing to venture into this arena is George.
He loves seeing where other people are taking the VC.

@mrb it's looking like your evenings and weekends could end being busy.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
@phattpiggie

Brother ,I've been working mainly with ...electronics and kinda of metal working -light machining
(large sized heat sink preparation for electronic appliances ,thus mainly aluminium alloys ) .
But ...

Last night I've spend some time watching videos on Youtube about wood lathing and stuff ...
All started really fine and I was full of excitement .
At a certain point I've started to watch videos about wood lathe accidents .
Ok..That was pretty scary .Some videos had nothing to be jealous of the finest splatter b-movies .
But with the shocking difference that was not harmless fiction ,but more-than-painful reality.

You know what ?
I think I 'll pass,really.
Turning wood ,scares the shit out of me by now,even to watch at it.
Moreover I'm kinda of the sloppy type of guy
(already have electrocuted one eye ,burned the other with a laser ,managed to drill through my palm-don't ask how,please !-planted a screwdriver in the other palm and so on ).
Still ,I love my fingers and pretty much intend to carry all ten of 'em along with the rest of me,till the grave .

So,nope.
I'm done with machine-extreme sports.
No wood turning for me ,Sir !

Still,there are quite plenty of easy VC-customizing one can do.
Like torch-anodizing the Ti tip .

Cheers.

Last edited:

alterego420

Hi @mrb

Personally, I'd love one that is smaller than the Dynastash :)

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
@natural farmer @stardustsailor I did rework my 1st generation Ti tip to add some grooves (like gen2 and following).
I used a dremel and normal cutting disk (or maybe cheap Amazon glass cutting disk, not sure which)

It was quite easy, even if little harder than steel.

I cut also a TI rod to make my own stem, as before my old dremel worked great

Edit @AJS you can get everything sparkling clean (the black gunk that accumulates with time and or combustion) by giving it a ultrasonic bath (cheap 30bucks) with caustic soda, I did it on my 1 year old omnivap and everything was shining new

Last edited:

Esoteric

Pot Head formerly Septon Sefton
Little update on my order, it came in 19 days in the end, which isnt bad considering the stock delays and the atlantic ocean being in the middle of us.

I got an omni and a ebony nonavong, i love them both! Along with the M which i now take with me everywhere i go, they have quickly become my go to vapes!

Some of you may remember i made a post about the omni and my perception of its value. I still think it is expensive for what it is. However i tend to look at how much usage i get out of something to ascertain its true value, i will use the omni a lot so it will represent good value.

I also fixed the broken OG that i had initally and gave it to mate, he ordered an M the next day!

So, very much dynavap fans over here despite initially being sceptical!

and thanks to George and Arrielle for putting up with me moaning about the stock issues.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Decided to make my brother up a gift pack for discreet on the DL VapCap use on weekends. He has to pop down to his storage room for a quick vape so this will be ideal. I told him to bring me the OG I gave him so I could give it an upgrade on the weekend. I think he will like it & that Kananstor stash is full of ground bud in addition to another tinted glass jar with a Boveda pack & 1/8 in it.

r3ab2lMh.jpg

I forgot to get him a nicer magnet though. Anyone got some advice? Can't be an edgy one though as that will ruin the present. It must be centred with none of this rim job lark. Rim jobs aren't something to laugh about & and can leave a poor taste in the mouth.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Wood turning is hazardous even with a tiny little pen lathe like I have. Spinning objects have an incredible amount of energy.

Wood working in general is hazardous because everything in the shop is designed to cut material harder than your body. You need to be constantly mindful of what you're doing and work in a safe manner. Never be in a hurry or rush through things.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from wood working, just be aware that safety is paramount when working with machines, tools and sharp edges.

PS: WEAR A DUST MASK

PeteSeattle

@stardustsailor

@stardustsailor It's not that difficult to turn wood, practice is all that's needed.
... there is a difference between vaped and stoned, I never turn stoned.

It still pays to be very diligent, sharp objects in your hand and pieces of wood spinning in front of you can be dangerous, even when straight.
I got hit in the chest with a chuck the other day because I got side tracked and forgot to tighten it up, and I hadn't been partaking, so please be careful.

I encourage anyone to get stuck in and have a go, this has been the most satisfying and fun thing I've done 'work' wise. Everyone is welcome to PM if they need a bit of help.

As @PeteSeattle will probably have found since he met him, the other person you will find who is full of encouragement to people wishing to venture into this arena is George.
He loves seeing where other people are taking the VC.

@mrb it's looking like your evenings and weekends could end being busy.

Yeah, stoned, open flame, grabbing hot glass accidentally, and forgetting your workflow sucks.

George is very humble and fun to have conversations. He really gives solid advice backed up with huge encouragement.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from wood working, just be aware that safety is paramount when working with machines, tools and sharp edges.

Same thing with glass. "Hmm, we must be having steak." No, I was smelling my own searing flesh.

Dynalowrider

Stevenski, get a fancy tin box, and place four "rim job magnets" together on the inside of the tin lid and the cap will sit in the center of all four on the top. The magnetic fields come together in the center of all four of the magnets.
Myself I use an Altoids Smalls Tin with coins for weight. I have tinnitus and the tin amplifies the cool-click. It has a higher pitched click than the regular Altoids tin. I seem to hear it better. It works for me. Doc

jds

I received my other Ti Omnivap yesterday. Looks and functions as nice as my other VapCaps.

I did notice the carb hole is lower than usual (part of it is outside the stripped band), though that's probably chalked up to machining variance and I actually prefer it that way. The top of the ti tip also has a bit of an extra chunk taken off but it feels like it slightly improves the air flow so I won't complain there either . I'm really happy with it and now when I vape with friends, two of us can enjoy the Omni.

I really cannot see myself ever using battery-powered vapes again with all these.

I just need decent water pieces now, and there's a big thread on here that I've been going through for that.

Top Bottom