tblast

this is one of the few cons that i have experienced with my M. personally, i found the M to be a bit harsh and generally like to pair with a small water piece. it's definitely manageable to hit dry for me but to get those really big hits i definitely prefer it to be paired with water. despite this, i still use my M basically daiy, with and without water filtration.

For me, the coughing is enough of a deterrent that I'm back to using the OG.

I also bought a Ti tip, which fits perfectly with my M, and tried that out today. Same issue. Unbearable coughing and throat tickling for 5-10 minutes.

I will continue experimenting, but I'm also going to get a couple extra OGs, I love it so much and the fragility scares me. I really hope I can alter my technique in a way that makes the M usable for me.

mucsusn

60 going on 20

I also bought a Ti tip, which fits perfectly with my M, and tried that out today. Same issue. Unbearable coughing and throat tickling for 5-10 minutes.

I will continue experimenting, but I'm also going to get a couple extra OGs, I love it so much and the fragility scares me. I really hope I can alter my technique in a way that makes the M usable for me.
One more question......have you tried the S? One of my last VC buys, now my everyday favorite!

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

Have you ever had problems with stainless steel in the past? Probably rare, but could have some sort of allergy to it or something used in milling process that remains.

I find my M hits a little rougher than Ti (or OG), but not too bad. There is a slight taste difference, tho. I have attributed it to the SS tip - but not really sure. I often go out with 3 loaded (usually OMNI, Ti Woody & M) and can taste/feel a little difference with each.

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes

Are you guys using 3-4 torches?
Metal bowl conducts heat much faster than glass, so it may overheat the edges of the load before click. Glass conducts slower, so heat have time to soak into the load.
Try single torch.

hinglemccringleberry

I think this may be one of the smartest things I've seen in awhile... "Vap Storage Mug."

I may have to steal this idea if you're cool with it?
haha thanks! can't beat smellproof inconspicuous and FREE! (well it was free for me). That's cool if you want to do your own, I'll just need you to Paypal me $50 to release the rights to the intellectual property. lol jk

jds

Are you guys using 3-4 torches?
Metal bowl conducts heat much faster than glass, so it may overheat the edges of the load before click. Glass conducts slower, so heat have time to soak into the load.
Try single torch.

I exclusively use single torches now. The heat up time isn't that bad, anywhere between 10-18 seconds depending on where I heat, and I have much less micro-charring and have never combusted accidentally.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've always attributed the tickle at the back of my throat to terpenes and cannabinoids condensing on there. I only get it with dense vapour hits like what the metal Vapcaps produce, and it's certainly not due to the temperature since I'm going through water and an Omni with plenty diffusion.

Even in my smoking days I found that only a kief hit would do it but as I've gotten into vapourizers it happens more often, especially with stronger stuff.

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I wonder if part of the harshness thing w/ Ms is that people are heating them based on a triangulation between their own experience (0+) influenced by the conversations here based on OTHER 'Caps.

My only experiences w/ dry-herb vapes are with my Omni and a first-issue M; one of the things I've noticed is that you can't heat a Ti tip and an SS tip the same way & get consistent results from device to device.

The Ti (IME) heats up faster & more thoroughly from a cold start, so delivers more 'payload', more quickly, and cools down more quickly; this works well with the lather/rinse/repeat cycle. In contrast the SS tip heats more slowly, and retains heat - it doesn't cool as quickly; my early experiences made me disappointed by the M's first heat, my second heat would compensate - but there'd be more residual heat in the tip, so I developed a tendency to overheat that second time, which made for harshness and coughing; by increasing the distance between torch and tip on second heat, the contents get more thoroughly baked at a lower temperature, so it's less harsh and more complete....

Only on the third heat (usually from a cold start) do I 'adventure beyond the click': previously extracted, slower heat spread, I will heat the body of the tip as well as the base, taking the slower approach, and may persist 3-5 sec past the click (I started doing this because this heating method can result in a single click - and I found waiting for the second click made sense (to a point)). Beyond 3 cycles, I'm just trying to make the herb changes colors, I'm not really getting anything more.

In fact, I've just cleaned everyone up & put the M away & have gone back to the Omni - not forever, but to see what I've learned about this process since M-Day (yes, M has been the driver). So far, my return to the Omni is more satisfactory than it used to be (in terms of consistency and effectiveness) - fourth cycle just now was very nice...

Anyone else getting more than one SET of cool-down clicks? Not all the time, but often enough that I noticed noticing.

xlr8shun

has anyone tried 10LB force magnets to confirm their 'smoothness of function'?

those b888 cubes i been using have a pull force of 18.71 lbs..

and i use 2 of them together as shown in a previous post of mine..
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-622#post-1121038

i like how strong it is because if i pull the vapcap away form the magnet at just about any angle it'll pull it off the tip.. and to remove vapcap without my cap sticking to the magnet, i just slide it off the magnet

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I wonder if part of the harshness thing w/ Ms is that people are heating them based on a triangulation between their own experience (0+) influenced by the conversations here based on OTHER 'Caps.

My only experiences w/ dry-herb vapes are with my Omni and a first-issue M; one of the things I've noticed is that you can't heat a Ti tip and an SS tip the same way & get consistent results from device to device.

The Ti (IME) heats up faster & more thoroughly from a cold start, so delivers more 'payload', more quickly, and cools down more quickly; this works well with the lather/rinse/repeat cycle. In contrast the SS tip heats more slowly, and retains heat - it doesn't cool as quickly; my early experiences made me disappointed by the M's first heat, my second heat would compensate - but there'd be more residual heat in the tip, so I developed a tendency to overheat that second time, which made for harshness and coughing; by increasing the distance between torch and tip on second heat, the contents get more thoroughly baked at a lower temperature, so it's less harsh and more complete....

Only on the third heat (usually from a cold start) do I 'adventure beyond the click': previously extracted, slower heat spread, I will heat the body of the tip as well as the base, taking the slower approach, and may persist 3-5 sec past the click (I started doing this because this heating method can result in a single click - and I found waiting for the second click made sense (to a point)). Beyond 3 cycles, I'm just trying to make the herb changes colors, I'm not really getting anything more.

In fact, I've just cleaned everyone up & put the M away & have gone back to the Omni - not forever, but to see what I've learned about this process since M-Day (yes, M has been the driver). So far, my return to the Omni is more satisfactory than it used to be (in terms of consistency and effectiveness) - fourth cycle just now was very nice...

Anyone else getting more than one SET of cool-down clicks? Not all the time, but often enough that I noticed noticing.
I find that my experience between my 4G Ti and my M is the same as yours. The 316L SS is far more dense than the Gr2 Ti and thus holds a lot more thermal energy. I'm usually able to touch my Ti tip shortly after the cool down click, where the M stays hot for far longer. I've nearly burned myself thinking it had cooled more than a few times.

As Cappers I think we need to keep in mind that:
  • The click is not an absolutely fool proof indicator of the tip temperature.
  • Different chamber materials have very different results with back to back heat cycles. Requiring a different method for each to achieve good performance.
  • More thermal mass in the tip makes for slower heating and cooling.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Been trying to think of a good way to vape rosin with my Vapcap besides on flower or a concentrate pad. Thinking a closed end quartz tube like this as an insert for the chamber might work good :p

Quartz-Clock-Cover-Quartz-Tube-for-Diffusion-Americal-Ge-Quartz-Tube-Furnace-HK-0131-.jpg

Grepper

Truth to prevail
I have owned the M for about a month now and really love it. That being said, I can no longer use it. I consistently get lung and chest aches only when I use this vaporizer. I have never had issues with stainless steel before, but am with the M. I'm completely bummed out and am guessing I have a mild allergy? The unit was cleaned thoroughly and I'm using a single torch. Anyone have ideas?

exime

It's somewhere in the middle for me. I think vaping the vapcap is easier on your throat/lungs then smoking a spoon/chillum but still smoking from a large water bubbler is easier on my throat/lungs than vaping a vapcap.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
About the thermal properties of the SS and / vs the Ti tips :

Three main physical properties to be taken under consideration .
1 ) Density
2) Specific Heat
3 )Thermal Conductivity .

For the SS tip ( 316L Stainless Steel) we have those figures :

1 ) Density : 7,9 - 8 gr / cc
2 ) Specific Heat : 450 -500 J/Kg.°C ( or 0,45 - 0,5 J/gr.°C) @ 100°C
3) Thermal Conductivity : 15-16,3 W/m-°K @ 100°C

Sources : http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2382
https://www.sandmeyersteel.com/images/316-316l-317l-spec-sheet.pdf

For the Ti Grade 2 tips :

1 ) Density : 4,5 gr / cc
2 ) Specific Heat : 523 J/Kg.°C ( or 0,523 J/gr.°C) @ 100°C
3) Thermal Conductivity : 16 - 16,4 W/m-°K @ 100°C

Sources:
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MTU020
http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=24293fd5831941ec9fa01dce994973c7&ckck=1
http://www.swissprofile.com/data/documents/fiches-techniques/EN/TitaneGrade2.pdf

So,actually Titanium Grade 2 can store a tad more heat than 316 L per mass unit !
WTF ? you may wonder ...
Ti tips heat up and cool down faster than SS tips .
How that's possible ?

Well ,yes.It's quite normal.
Firstly Ti G2 has a tad better thermal conductivity than 316L.
But the main reason is that Ti G2 has almost half the density of the 316L steel .
Assuming that the volume of both Ti and SS tips is approx the same ,
then the Ti tips have about half the mass of the SS tips.
Thus ,Ti tips can only store about half the heat ( form of energy =Joules ) than the SS tips,
since both metal alloys have approx. equal thermal capacity .
That explains the faster heat up and cool down time of ti tips versus the SS tips.

Still ,both these alloys are probably the best choices for the job ,as also beyond their ideal thermal properties are both almost 0% toxic and almost 100% hypoallergic
(Titanium and SS 316L allergies do exist ,but they are quite rare ,as opposed to
allergies to other metals ,like i.e. Nickel ) .

Last edited:

Farid

I have owned the M for about a month now and really love it. That being said, I can no longer use it. I consistently get lung and chest aches only when I use this vaporizer. I have never had issues with stainless steel before, but am with the M. I'm completely bummed out and am guessing I have a mild allergy? The unit was cleaned thoroughly and I'm using a single torch. Anyone have ideas?

Do you get this lung ache when you use it through water? What about when you do mouth pulls? I would attribute throat irritation to the short air path and particulates coming through the screen, but chest/lung pain is not something I have experienced.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker

Sounds like bad quality herb.
And "quality" here is not about terpene and/or cannabinoid concentrations.
It's about what else is inside or on that herb.
Change herb and try again.

Just a thought.
:2c:

Alexis

I have allergies and have reacted to specific vape materials before (namely aluminium).but I doubt you have an allergy to the stainless steel or any materials in the M.

I would suggest you try it through water, and also experiemtn with your heating technique to hit the lower temps. Try varying flame distance, length of time on various parts of the cap.
Also, consider using the hemp fiber gauze method. Just take out tue screen, make a ball of hemp fiber- i do it by cutting the individual fibers to about 3 or 4 mm, stretching apart and then bundling loosely together so that it isnt too dense, but not too open either.

I then drop it into the screenless bowl, poke it down with something so that it is pushed just into the hole below where the screen sets, then put screen back on top.
Have a glance through the condenser held up to the light. Make sure it is not so dense that you cant see through it, or so open it is not covering the airpath enough. Check airflow too, so that it isnt too impeded.

This helps to cool and smooth out the vapor. It also keeps herb particles from reaching your mouth, and also it will keep ypur condenser clean. Keep an eye on the hemp fiber as it will quickly clog up with "reclaim" which would otherwise build up on the inside of your condenser tube.

I put some fresh hemp fiber in my Omnivap recently, and in less than a week it was so gummed up with dark oily reclaim the airflow was so restricred I was getting barely any vapor.
I didnt realise the hemp fiber was all used up sofor a few days I didnt know what was going on. I thought my Om ivap just wasnt that good and I had gotten it all wrong.
I was going through 6 or 7 bowls in a day and getting very little buzz. Thought my tolerance had skyrocketed.

Finally I discovered the ussue. I removed the dark, sticky black ball of hemp fiber. I put it in the bowl and vaped it like a normal load.

WOW- CLOUDS GIGANTICUS! The biggest hit I ever had from Vapcap. I got about 10large hits from the hemp fiber (over a day, other loads in between).

And as soon as I fixed the airflow with some fresh hemp fiber, it was medicating my arse off again.
Anyway, I hooe you can find a way of using the M comfortably. Good luck!:tup:

OldCombustor

I am somewhat apprehensive to post this question because of its controversy.
I have read the majority of this thread, it has taken days.

The discussions are more than interesting as the posts from people way more experienced with VapCaps are helping me learn and adjust to my new "toy", the "M" that I have had for just a few weeks.

I tried an experiment that I am not sure is a good practice or not.

I tried heating the cap without spinning. (!)
Heating nearer to the edge as recommended, but in one spot. The cap got to a red glow and the click came at about the same time as when rotating. For the second heat, I just applied the torch to the opposite side of the cap after the usual cool down clicks.

The result was comparable to the usual heating method, but easier to hold steady.

Am I in a dangerous zone?
Is there a possibility of harming the M? Or something else?

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker

The discussions are more than interesting as the posts from people way more experienced with VapCaps are helping me learn and adjust to my new "toy", the "M" that I have had for just a few weeks.

Heating nearer to the edge as recommended, but in one spot. The cap got to a red glow and the click came at about the same time as when rotating. For the second heat, I just applied the torch to the opposite side of the cap after the usual cool down clicks.

The result was comparable to the usual heating method, but easier to hold steady.

You're going to oxidize your cap at an accelerated rate causing wear and possible cracking later on. It also could cause a hot spot and burn part of your load which is never fun. Some rotation will be better than none, IMO.

If you're having difficulty spinning the vapcap, you can slowly rotate it back and forth between your thumb and fingers. I think it's easier this way and as you observed it doesn't really need to be rotated quickly to heat the tip properly.

Alexis

I should think the vapcap will stand up to this without damage. I have not seen anybody, Dynavap included, stress the importance of not heating one side only.
Edit- see @Winegums post abovd he adds worthy perspective- the rest of this post may therefore he invalid now.:cry:

The main consideration will be possible uneven load cooking. But as you did yourself, you just heat the other side.
I will actually try this myseld. I have hand and wrist delicacicies that make twirling the vapcap vary aggravating, causing me repetitive strain injury.

I have purposely been conservative with the twisting, keeping the heat focused mainly on one side, but not at a total standstill though. Purely becasue I felt it would extract unevenly.

But hey, if it isnt that bad then I may adopt this techniqud mor often to make things more comfortable.

Thanks for posting. It is a very valid question. I was on the verge of posting it myself at times.

Oh and, welcome to the thread!:)

shaolinmilk

My OmniVap hasn't arrived yet, however I did receive the M and have been using it for the past two weeks.

Quick thoughts:

The taste is nowhere near the best, however for its size and ability to vape quickly is worth the price alone. I honestly recommend this to combusters that want to try vaping without spending too much.

With that said, I can't seem to get past a certain level with this vape. It uses really little herb and I find myself filling it 3-4 times to get to a decent level. For a high tolerance user, this may not be the best, but it is fun as hell to use. It really reminds me of smoking and it brings back a lot of memory. If I don't want to get too medicated, I'll use the vapcap. If I want to go to the moon, I have other units for that. My 2 cents. :)

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
I decided to give it a go with experimenting anodising Titanium.
My first try ever.
Used a Pyrex bowl filled with tap water (not of so good quality,I'm afraid ) ,
as an (acidic ) electrolyte I used ordinary vinegar (acetic acid ) and as a power source I used
the 19,5 Volt PSU of my laptop.

As a specimen for the procedure I used a titanium spork that was available .
The spork had initially the dull grey color of non-anodised Ti
(sandblasted in midsection /handle ) :
LMF00166.jpg

I thought that I was going to get a blue color ,at 19,5 Volts.
But the electrolyte type and it's concentration seem to play also an important role when it comes to achieving specific colors through anodising .

So I got a nice deep gold / bronze ,instead of blue .
Very solid ,very uniform .
(Sorry for the pic,but it was the best out of a dozen.
Pretty difficult for my camera to capture the real hue of the anodised piece.
But ,trust me is quite vivid in real life. )

Now ,I feel more confident for the next step.
Ordered couple of Ti tips from Dynavap and can't wait
for the Ti tubing to arrive .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Titani...814866?hash=item2a40faf492:g:BBgAAOxyJX1S~ytQ

Time for some artwork ,right ?
;)
Seeing that deep gold -bronze color ,I think I would like to have a full Ti VapCap
at that color.
And then is the other one I keep dreaming to make.
A full Ti (tip+stem) VapCap with the tip having an "electric blue " color
that continues at the stem and becomes flames ala "hot-rod" .
In a vivid yellow background color !
And that's for starters.
I like wood ,don't get me wrong.
It's classy !
But for every day carry and use wood is quite fragile ,while I find the M a bit harsh in taste (comparing to my Nonavong ),a bit heavy and a bit "slow" regarding it's operation.
Other than that ,the M is the absolute one-hitter of vapes.

But a full Ti VapCap is at least durable -if not undestructable-,
seawater -resistant ( Greece = seawater -almost-everywhere ) and
at the same time extremely lightweight .
I do get to keep the fast heat up / cool down times and mellow taste of a Ti tip
and the whole unit being anodised in many different ways ,
can even look like a fidget toy or something similar,rather than a vaping tool.

So many possibilities ,at so small package ...
Simply Amazing!

Cheers.

Last edited:

little maggie

What about trying a ti woody? The M is a bit different than the other models and it is also metal. I tend to use water with most vapes- the exception is the vapcap with a very long wood stem. The stem seems to cool down the vapor a lot. I got my stem from phatpiggie who has his own thread. I think it's worth it to try either a wood stem from dynavap or a specially made one because, as you said, the glass is fragile. I am one of the rare ones here who doesn't like the omni as much as the other models.

Top Bottom