My_50p_worth

I believe in sharing. All good things at a deal are snipped the minute they are posted. I've picked up on those that others bypassed due to price. Now finding hot NOS OG caps is proving to be a challenge. They are out there though.

I put them in 3 classes - a rare series that register a gain ratio of ~6:1; older caps that are hot range in the 4:1 zone; and 2020+ caps that rate at or below 3:1. Gain ratio is IH current draw w/ the cap over current draw w/o the cap. To test a cap without discoloring it, turn the input voltage down. I adjust the voltage so the IH draws 1 amp w/o the cap so whatever I read with the cap is easy to calculate.

...and I'm pretty sure George knows about this but isn't fessin' up. He has his eyes on a new product in 'armored caps'. Funny thing is, the older caps already act like the experiments he was doing.

@HyDrOpOnIc1987 the man himself came through and blessed us with this cap knowledge!

Try not to go too far down the hot cap rabbit hole now that you know ;)

Green Kiwi

My Air 2, which is my first vape and i bought it at the beginning of the month, didnt work for me at all. Takes too long to catch a buzz that by the time i start to feel it, its already wearing off :(
THATS airizer right for you...... yes it's a slow extractor and not powerful, hence I am curious about their new one with a so-called more powerful(how much I would like to know)heater and more airflow..??.....let's wait for the feed back.🇳🇿.

Strange. Is there a IH that seems to work well with any type of cap?
yes there is:ENTER the DIY IH. instructions per @TommyDee ......
I found my personal preference for tuning the DIY IH is with the wires leading to the monetary switch(my 8 dollar cents yes $0.08$, still works after say 80 hours usage's don't worry about them burning out:2c:), the thickness of the wires changes how aggressive the heating is.
I am on really thin wire=longer gentler heating.:science::2c::peace:

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Fixing to be a beautiful day here. I’m loving this combo for out and about.
D49972-A1-EC04-41-BB-AB31-D60-F9-CC3631-B.jpg

HyDrOpOnIc1987

@HyDrOpOnIc1987 Excited for you man. As you already know we’re all here to help you out with any questions no matter how silly you may think they are!

Enjoy :D
Thanks man! And that is why I'm stoked to have found this place :) was using reddit for info when i switched from smoking to nic vaping and it was confusing cuz everyone seems to wanna argue over there. Nice to see so many calm and like minded people in one place :) love it here, thanks for the warm welcome

Parcel just got here :):):) just about to open it up

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
So when did the caps change exactly? I have caps from three generations (all regular), earliest is from 2018, the latest from 2020 – each cap has its own personality, but they don't seem to behave so differently that I'd prefer one cap.

I see that Tommies experiment shows *some* difference in the caps, however, it's not clear (edit: to me) what the results actually show and at what degree that would actually affect the performance.

One thing that might have an influence is how snug the cap sits on the tip; a little tighter or looser will alter how much cap material sits on the tip and therefore how much heat is lead to the tip. Just an idea.

Siebter,
Reactions: jabba

My_50p_worth

So when did the caps change exactly? I have caps from three generations (all regular), earliest is from 2018, the latest from 2020 – each cap has its own personality, but they don't seem to behave so differently that I'd prefer one cap.

I see that Tommies experiment shows *some* difference in the caps, however, it's not clear (edit: to me) what the results actually show and at what degree that would actually affect the performance.

One thing that might have an influence is how snug the cap sits on the tip; a little tighter or looser will alter how much cap material sits on the tip and therefore how much heat is lead to the tip. Just an idea.
If we knew we wouldn’t be discussing it over here, trying to contact George about it, and running weird experiments :rofl:

But jokes aside, I’ve never had a pre 2019 one that exhibits “new cap behaviour” so I always ballpark it somewhere around 2019

It’s definitely not cap fitment, the “OG cap behaviour” exhibits independent of how much I tighten or loosen the cap.

It’s so hard to explain unless you’ve experienced it, it’s just *better* and feels like a noticeable boost in extraction performance and vapour production. Especially with IH use, it seems to really show up there

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I almost exclusively use induction heaters, no difference there for me – if anything, I prefer the more recent caps in my collection for their more pronounced clicks, but I'm pretty sure those are factory variants anyway. Performance is *very* close if not identical for me. Just saying. :-) I might be investing in some newer caps sometime soon, will feed back then.

What's certain though is that dark caps (PhantoM etc.) behave different in IHs.

My_50p_worth

I almost exclusively use induction heaters, no difference there for me – if anything, I prefer the more recent caps in my collection for their more pronounced clicks, but I'm pretty sure those are factory variants anyway. Performance is *very* close if not identical for me. Just saying. :-) I might be investing in some newer caps sometime soon, will feed back then.

What's certain though is that dark caps (PhantoM etc.) behave different in IHs.
Hmmm that’s interesting you don’t notice it.

May I ask what your extraction style is, and how many heat cycles you go, colour of AVB?

I agree the new ones have louder clicks though, I always notice that hitting a newer device and quite like it for outdoor use.

Yeah I’ve heard about the dark caps! Never owned one personally so I can’t comment on that. Apparently some of the dark tips are like a nonstick coating too

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
May I ask what your extraction style is, and how many heat cycles you go, colour of AVB?

I usually have four or five cycles, tempstepping between 180°C and ~220°C (temp controlled IH here¹) which gives me dark roasted abv. Nothing special I guess except for the temp control. But I do have regular IHs too and even then I have a very hard time noticing any differences. I do occasionally use a torch too, same story.

¹That IH also allows me to calibrate it for different caps and you do that by setting a specific calibration number and then test when the cap clicks; when it clicks at 220°C, it's calibrated correctly, and all my caps click the same with the same calibration (I know click times aren't equal to performance, but I think it's interesting to know).

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Sooo.... im having fun trying to get this to work. Def better than the air 2 right out the gate lol i noticed im having a bit of trouble getting thick vapor from it though. I assume thats what the convo was about the last cpl days lol any tips for a noob?

Havent combust my weed yet though! Yay lol

My_50p_worth

I
I usually have four or five cycles, tempstepping between 180°C and ~220°C (temp controlled IH here¹) which gives me dark roasted abv. Nothing special I guess except for the temp control. But I do have regular IHs too and even then I have a very hard time noticing any differences. I do occasionally use a torch too, same story.

¹That IH also allows me to calibrate it for different caps and you do that by setting a specific calibration number and then test when the cap clicks; when it clicks at 220°C, it's calibrated correctly, and all my caps click the same with the same calibration (I know click times aren't equal to performance, but I think it's interesting to know).

Thanks for the detailed reply man, I have an idea of what could possibly be the variable between mine and your experience. So I also roast mine very dark, I’d say somewhere around a compost colour and consistency.

I do that in 2 (sometimes 3 if I’ve got sticky material) heat cycles. So I guess a little bit of a “balls to the wall” extraction style with as high temperature heat as I can get in that tip by the click. With the OG caps, I get a very even roast and it stays hotter and keeps producing vapour for noticeably longer. New caps not so much - I find I can work with it and get that extraction style and just a shade darker AVB (if not as even) but both the production volume and timespan isn’t the same for me

What’s that IH by the way? It sounds awesome, would love to take a look at that. I’ve always done the ‘ol reliable cork plug and sandpaper to tune mine haha

My_50p_worth,
Reactions: Siebter

Squidge

Butane powered
Sooo.... im having fun trying to get this to work. Def better than the air 2 right out the gate lol i noticed im having a bit of trouble getting thick vapor from it though. I assume thats what the convo was about the last cpl days lol any tips for a noob?

A few videos for your viewing pleasure

How a Dynavap tip works

Advanced heating techniques - Cloudy hit explanation starts at 1:40

Austyn Simrell's method to get thick hits

Hope these help

coolbreeze

Awesome, man! First hit is often thinner and tastier that the others; second is good flavor/production; third is good production; both usually taper after this. So, like a curve. With Wand or low-temp cap, that evens out a bit, but still adheres.

I would just suggest a fastish spin (or full rock) barely brushed with the outer blue of a 1" flame (one inch equals .5 inch inner bright flame, .5" outer, dimmer flame). Aim at the middle of the cap to find your bearings, and then experiment with torching above or below that point. Heat it low on the cap and slower than you're inclined for phat clouds. Good luck!

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
What’s that IH by the way? It sounds awesome, would love to take a look at that. I’ve always done the ‘ol reliable cork plug and sandpaper to tune mine haha

It's a Mag Heater Tornado, I wrote a little review about it →here.

I recently bought one, played with it a bit. Can you expound a little on your experience with DARK caps in your IH?
Thanks!

I don't own any, but apparently dark caps showed the maker of my IH the need for a calibration mode. Although I'm not sure whether the actual heating process is calibrated or the temperature measurements (or both).

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Wow! So much action on here... nice to see/hear the dynamics and knowledge being shared.

Something I appreciate about the captive caps...

They jump/jiggle on the heat up click, giving a visual and vibrational indication that it is toking time. A nice feature if one is visually or hearing impaired.

Hope everyone had a good 420.

And yes I did just use the word vibrational.

:peace:

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Awesome, man! First hit is often thinner and tastier that the others; second is good flavor/production; third is good production; both usually taper after this. So, like a curve. With Wand or low-temp cap, that evens out a bit, but still adheres.

I would just suggest a fastish spin (or full rock) barely brushed with the outer blue of a 1" flame (one inch equals .5 inch inner bright flame, .5" outer, dimmer flame). Aim at the middle of the cap to find your bearings, and then experiment with torching above or below that point. Heat it low on the cap and slower than you're inclined for phat clouds. Good luck!
Omg. This thing is crazy lol this is vaping? Seriously? I was barely getting this high SMOKING like 8 times, or more, the amount of material. What is this wizardry?

Hi folks, I'm a long-time lurker here on FC and have really appreciated all of the advice and information posted on this site, it's made transferring to vaping a great deal easier for me. I have a query that I hope some kind soul can answer regarding the
Dynavap Titanium Tip-Omni. I bought a shomni in 2020 and I love it. I thought I'd purchase a Simrell mvs last October and bought a
Dynavap Titanium Tip-Omni to use with it. I tried to use it and tried various different ways to heat it via three flame torch but with disappointing results. I thought the simrell wasn't great really but a few days ago I swapped the
Dynavap Titanium Tip-Omni from the simrell and put it on the omni. I got the same result as with the simrell. Not great vapour production at least 5 cycles to get going and my omni was pretty hot which has never happened before. Is this typical of the new tip? I was going to sell the simrell as I was blaming that but held back. I can't use either device now as I have to quit vaping for a month as I'm going to be urine tested reasonably soon but any input would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

skimfatpersonnel,
Reactions: montana199

My_50p_worth

Hi folks, I'm a long-time lurker here on FC and have really appreciated all of the advice and information posted on this site, it's made transferring to vaping a great deal easier for me. I have a query that I hope some kind soul can answer regarding the
Dynavap Titanium Tip-Omni. I bought a shomni in 2020 and I love it. I thought I'd purchase a Simrell mvs last October and bought a
Dynavap Titanium Tip-Omni to use with it. I tried to use it and tried various different ways to heat it via three flame torch but with disappointing results. I thought the simrell wasn't great really but a few days ago I swapped the
Dynavap Titanium Tip-Omni from the simrell and put it on the omni. I got the same result as with the simrell. Not great vapour production at least 5 cycles to get going and my omni was pretty hot which has never happened before. Is this typical of the new tip? I was going to sell the simrell as I was blaming that but held back. I can't use either device now as I have to quit vaping for a month as I'm going to be urine tested reasonably soon but any input would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
@coolbreeze can probably help you, I know he’s partial to the 21 Omni tip.

Personally I found it to be a bit an awkward inbetweener of the outgoing 5 fin and the steel tip. But it is important to note these are highly personal devices to your extraction preferences, what I like you might dislike and vice versa

@coolbreeze can probably help you, I know he’s partial to the 21 Omni tip.

Personally I found it to be a bit an awkward inbetweener of the outgoing 5 fin and the steel tip. But it is important to note these are highly personal devices to your extraction preferences, what I like you might dislike and vice versa
Thanks, maybe that particular tip is not for me then, I guess it will be getting sold. I've tried it with a single flame as well but that just prolongs the heating cycle even further. In retrospect wish I'd tried swapping the tips over to try the old one on the mvs before I had to stop vaping temporarily. I don't think I've seen the best of the mvs but I got very comfortable using my shomni everyday. Ah well, such is life...

skimfatpersonnel,
Reactions: montana199

My_50p_worth

Thanks, maybe that particular tip is not for me then, I guess it will be getting sold. I've tried it with a single flame as well but that just prolongs the heating cycle even further. In retrospect wish I'd tried swapping the tips over to try the old one on the mvs before I had to stop vaping temporarily. I don't think I've seen the best of the mvs but I got very comfortable using my shomni everyday. Ah well, such is life...
Sounds like the 21 vong tip might be more your style if you want to stay Ti. I’m heavily biased towards SS tips - the longer heatup may not be for you though. It pays for itself in evenness of extraction and vapour production though IMO

Honestly I got a Shomni a few months back and it changed the way I thought about dynavaps. Before I was using XL stems with cooling like the revolve and MVS, and using the Shomni made me realise how much flavour and intensity they were sapping from the vapour. But I didn’t like the Ti tip and sold the Shomni recently

I will get a new SS tip setup soon, maybe with a simple wooden stem that cools just enough but doesn’t subtract quite so much from the vapour.

Yeah, maybe I should consider the SS tip, I'm not religiously devoted to a ti tip, I'll consider anything to get good results. The end result is the bottom line and trumps any other factor. My main gripe isn't actually the heat up time, it's what I perceive to be the mediocre results plus extended heat-up time compared to the older tip. Hadn't considered a vong tip at all, so thanks for that too. Can't see myself ever selling the shomni, I am really attached to it. I got such a shock at how good it was when I first used it. I'd been using bongs and smoking joints for 30-odd years, it was a real 'road to Damascus' moment.

Top Bottom