stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Dear all,

I have just received my differents stems and here is something that annoys me since quite some time and I am sure that you great guys & gals have a solution for me:

Most of my TI tips sit somehow loose in their stems. Some less, some more. That sucks. Even with new o-rings. What would MacGyver do? Seriously: I fear that some of them could come off while turning the Vapcap.
Thank you so much in advance for your guidance!

what-would-macgyver-do1.jpg

Thicker O-rings ....

Viton 8.4 mm outer diameter (instead of standard 8 mm OD ) :
http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-fkm-o-ring-6-x-1-2mm-price-for-5-pcs/

If the "gap-slack" is greater than 0,4 mm ,then you can try the (softer) silicone 9mm OD :
http://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-6-x-1-5mm-price-for-10-pcs/

Cheers.

Viton is a harder (as stiffer ) elastomer than silicone.
It is also more durable regarding mechanical stress.

From the other hand silicone o-rings are more durable to high temperature,
have a nicer-smoother fit and are more safe health-wise than the Viton ones.

Both are immune to Isopropyl Alcohol.

BTW,my current fav TI-tip o-ring combo (stem is a carbless & condenserless 72mm Titanium ) :

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Thicker O-rings ....

Viton 8.4 mm outer diameter (instead of standard 8 mm OD ) :
http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-fkm-o-ring-6-x-1-2mm-price-for-5-pcs/

If the "gap-slack" is greater than 0,4 mm ,then you can try the (softer) silicone 9mm OD :
http://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-6-x-1-5mm-price-for-10-pcs/

Cheers.
Have you tested these? The diameter of the cross section might not fit in the o-ring grooves, as the grooves have to be quite precise size.

What kind of thread we talking about @Winegums ?
Teflon tape, then the o-ring?
I have a stem that is a bit big and only one tip fits proper in it, my Gen 2. My 4 & 5 flop out.
I would recommend an organic material over a plastic like Teflon. I've used teflon in the past but realised that even a strip of paper or hemp fibres will work and not melt like Teflon.

paehtod

Dear all,

I have just received my differents stems and here is something that annoys me since quite some time and I am sure that you great guys & gals have a solution for me:

Most of my TI tips sit somehow loose in their stems. Some less, some more. That sucks. Even with new o-rings. What would MacGyver do? Seriously: I fear that some of them could come off while turning the Vapcap.
Thank you so much in advance for your guidance!

what-would-macgyver-do1.jpg
I always add very few degummed hemp fiber to the tip groove before placing the small oring, I mean really few like 5-6 hair, that will slightly increased the oring overall diameter thus increase the friction between the tip and stem, you may try try, working really good for me.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Have you tested these? The diameter of the cross section might not fit in the o-ring grooves, as the grooves have to be quite precise size.

I would recommend an organic material over a plastic like Teflon. I've used teflon in the past but realised that even a strip of paper or hemp fibres will work and not melt like Teflon.
I think the 1,2 mm cross section will fit.
I'm not sure about the thicker ( 1,5 mm ) silicone ones.
Maybe then a slight mod ( with some fine grit,folded sandpaper ) is needed at the o-ring seats of the tip.

Good point !
:tup:

KayaIndica

Hey folks. I'm having a really frustrating issue going on here. I just got a NonaVong STEM as an upgrade to my vapVap M. Everything works just fine but when I assemble it after cleaning I get a nervous breakdown on the O-rings. They just refuse to fit good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it without the need of sedating medication before?

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Hey folks. I'm having a really frustrating issue going on here. I just got a NonaVong STEM as an upgrade to my vapVap M. Everything works just fine but when I assemble it after cleaning I get a nervous breakdown on the O-rings. They just refuse to fit good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it without the need of sedating medication before?
Struggled with this the other day.. warm them up slightly if possible. Breathe deeply and have patience. Rolling them might damage them but it was the easiest way I found to get them where they belong. It tested my patience..

Dynavaper

Karma Farmer
Wrap just a tiny bit of thread in the o-ring grooves then slip the o-ring back over it. This will tighten up the fitment of your tips in the stems.

They really shouldn't be fitting that loose though. especially if they're new stems.

I always add very few degummed hemp fiber to the tip groove before placing the small oring, I mean really few like 5-6 hair, that will slightly increased the oring overall diameter thus increase the friction between the tip and stem, you may try try, working really good for me.

Thank you very much, guys!
Unfortunately, I completely failed to even remove the o-rings without breaking them. I then tried to wind some hemp fiber around the o-rings, but that didn't work out as well. One must add that I am not the most blessed being on earth when it comes to things like that.

But: Just cutting out a small band of simple paper and winding it around the tip worked like a charm. It sits firmly and I am a happy Yeti. :)

Just to add: That carbon fiber body is way nicer than I expected. Very nice addition to the family!

Marlon Rando

Anyone with the case of the Monday's?
I'm curious how many DV pieces and mods people here have gifted away?, over the course of a year I gave away a quarter of my Dyna-purchases, as much as I like collecting things, it pleases me more to inspire others in joining on our Vapcap discoveries.

Dynavaper

Karma Farmer
@Dynavaper glad you got it working to your satisfaction. I love my carbon fiber XL omni. It's so light and I love the look and feel of it. The ti mouthpiece and tip just pop out too. And I just have a thing for black.

Promise we have a drink (and some Vapcap fillings) if I should ever pass by Gloucester or you should be close to Cologne one day! By the way: Did I mention that I was a drummer in my early 20ies? It's over now, the back and knuckle pain does not allow it any longer, but the rhythm and groove is still there... ;)

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
Promise we have a drink (and some Vapcap fillings) if I should ever pass by Gloucester or you should be close to Cologne one day! By the way: Did I mention that I was a drummer in my early 20ies? It's over now, the back and knuckle pain does not allow it any longer, but the rhythm and groove is still there... ;)

I would love that. And you are welcome anytime you are near Gloucester. I didn't know you were a drummer. Bummer about your hands, but I certainly understand-I'm just now getting over a bad dose of tendinitis. I hope you've found other ways to get your groove on.

Early 20ies? Now I'd love to see some footage of that!

Top Bottom