Dreamwood Glow

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
I ordered Glow 14 and now I am wondering why there is so little information about it compared to glow 18. Even dreamwood’s Instagram is full of pictures of Glow 18 and maybe one pic of Glow 14. Same thing with the videos. I think I have found zero videos about it!

Don't worry, the 14 is fantastic. I slightly prefer how the bowl is set up on it.

ChilledAsian

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a screenshot here... Let's just wait for the makers to introduce their newest product line. Same heater as the vapbong too. Not sure what kind of vvps it's using though.

ChilledAsian,

Dayseed

I only saw the desktop on Dreamwood’s Stories and it’s long gone now. I got the impression that it’s only a personal project for the time being.

I was lucky enough to win an RCV18 recently. It arrived yesterday and I have it all ready to rock and roll, but I’ve had to hold off because I had a Covid shot that messed me about for 48hrs.

Tonight I’ll be able to put it through it’s paces.C5FC7D63-08AE-4F64-857E-B69C71CBF7C6.jpeg

Therapy

I ordered Glow 14 and now I am wondering why there is so little information about it compared to glow 18. Even dreamwood’s Instagram is full of pictures of Glow 18 and maybe one pic of Glow 14. Same thing with the videos. I think I have found zero videos about it!
I had the same questions and had them answered on IG, this is the message:

1. Glow 14 is for top loading with wood mouthpiece
2.the herb chamber is switched into the mouthpieces tip when you use a glass stem and you need an additional oring for the glass tubes. Ns 14 adapter and glass included.

1.Glow 18 has the herb chamber inside the mouthpiece of wood as well.
2.glass stem fits into the wooden cover with the ground glass side NS18 and basket screen / easy glass water pipe use with male ground glass adapter. Adapter and glass stem not included.

Thank you!
That's exactly what I didn't want to hear :lol:
I hate Kanthal (and I don't use the word "hate" very often).
Why do you hate it? When I first started building nicotine rda's I got kanthal coils and didn't like them either, couldn't stand the taste.
Do you get the kanthal taste on these 510 vapes?

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
Why do you hate it? When I first started building nicotine rda's I got kanthal coils and didn't like them either, couldn't stand the taste.
Do you get the kanthal taste on these 510 vapes?
I'm not and I've never been an e-cig user, so I can't compare.
However, every time I've tried kanthal coils in my Glow I ended up with a strange feeling in my mouth/gum.
Keep in mind I have (an early and partial case of) recessive gum, so I may be more sensitive because of this.
With SS heaters/coils I don't have any problem whatsoever.

My theory is that is probably due to the kanthal aluminum content, but again I'm no expert.

I don't want to go OT, but the only device that makes my mouth/gum feel the same way is the Simrell stem... but that's another story

Franco,
Reactions: arb

lauantaimakkara

Thank you everyone! I also would like to hear if anyone has measured the size of the bowl of Glow 14? How much material I can put in to it?

lauantaimakkara,
Reactions: arb

Dayseed

However, every time I've tried kanthal coils in my Glow I ended up with a strange feeling in my mouth/gum.
That’s going to be something interesting to keep in mind. I get a weird feeling in my mouth anyway*, so I should be able to pick up on anything out of the ordinary in that regard.

*I seem to produce more saliva around my outer gums (I call it the teeth sweats) and my teeth almost feel hollow.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I get extreme migraines until vomiting using titanium........people have adverse reactions to metal fumes.

arb,
  • Wow
Reactions: Franco

yogurtsauce

Am I using the glow 14 wrong? I don't get good vapor unless using it with glass. If I use it directly to the mouth, the air is way too hot and I barely get vapor. The wood also gets insanely hot but the weed barely vapes.

yogurtsauce,

Dayseed

@Franco - The hollow teeth feeling is something I get regardless of consumption method (including edibles), but it certainly wasn’t any worse/different using the Glow for the first time last night. It may just be you only have the same ‘normal’ reaction with kanthal.

@arb - At the temps were vaping it no metals should be giving off fumes.

I only managed a few bowls with the Glow last night - I was really knackered after the vaccine reaction and had to get some sleep.

My overall impression is that there is a bit of a learning curve to using this thing. Using the cup screen I found my herb extracted unevenly and I was struggling to get good and consistent vapour; plus I was dealing with the wood colouring the flavour of my botanicals (which is something I expect with new wood).

I moved on to the new capsule screen, which I much preferred (although the lid is a bit fiddly to put on). You can pack loosely, which I prefer, and give the capsule a little flick between draws to shake up your material. Extraction, flavour and vapour production was a lot better, but still a little inconsistent.

Next I tried temp-stepping by 1watt increments, going from 36w to 41w. Extraction and vapour production were a lot better, but still not something that delivers the instant gratification of the Tinymight. Also, despite getting good extraction - based on my AVB - I didn’t seem to be getting the full effects of my material. I suppose that could also be down to not being fully recovered form the jab.

At this point I think I’ll have to re-read this thread from the beginning and see what other options there are for packing and usage techniques.

Dayseed,
Reactions: KeroZen

Duba

Accessory Maker
At this point I think I’ll have to re-read this thread from the beginning and see what other options there are for packing and usage techniques.
I really like the large bowl in the wood mouthpiece of the Glow18. I use it at 43w airport full open and i stir the bowl after a few draws. I use a glass MP on the wood one (there are photos a few pages before) to refresh the sensation in mouth and get strongest draw.

My theory is that is probably due to the kanthal aluminum content, but again I'm no expert.
I don't want to go OT, but the only device that makes my mouth/gum feel the same way is the Simrell stem... but that's another story
Is there aluminium in the Simrell stem??

BubbleDrop

Did you change the coils in your Glow (as I believe they come with kanthal) ?
If so, what did you use to replace those ?

BubbleDrop,

Dayseed

Thanks @Duba. The glass mouthpiece is the only one that came with mine. I was surprised by how well it cools the vapour - it’s a similar air path length to the Tinymight, so I was concerned it would rip my throat to pieces without any kind of cooling unit. But it’s actually super smooth and cool.

43w was a bit too much for me and I was too close to combustion. That’s probably down to the dryness of my flower though.

Dayseed,

GradeANugs

Keep in mind I have (an early and partial case of) recessive gum, so I may be more sensitive because of this.
With SS heaters/coils I don't have any problem whatsoever.

I didn't realize Kanthal had aluminum in it. Wtf...

I got the Glow 18 specifically because I thought it was the cleanest/safest vapor path (after removing all the o-rings and using the glass cooling MP). No way would I have bought it if I had known the coils contained aluminum. Glowing aluminum seems incredibly sketchy. I never cook with aluminum, and I certainly don't want to inhale it. My sense of smell is weak, but my brother's is very good, and he did say he smelled the metal when I showed him how the coils glowed.

I guess I should just buy some steel coils? How does it perform with steel? Do I need to change my Smoant Charon Mini firmware to get Temp Control? How do I know if this box mod is compatible with Arctic Fox?

GradeANugs,
Reactions: KeroZen

Duba

Accessory Maker
43w was a bit too much for me and I was too close to combustion. That’s probably down to the dryness of my flower though.
At this wattage, combustion is close but i try to minimize the risk with a strong enough draw (so as not to accumulate too much heat).

Last edited:
Duba,

Dayseed

That’s true enough, although I’m a non-smoker so my draws tend to be slow, consistent and deep STL.

Dayseed,

BubbleDrop

I didn't realize Kanthal had aluminum in it. Wtf...
Yes it does.

I guess I should just buy some steel coils? How does it perform with steel? Do I need to change my Smoant Charon Mini firmware to get Temp Control? How do I know if this box mod is compatible with Arctic Fox?
Yes, you could most probably replace the coils with SS (Clapton SS maybe).
Also, you can just check the NFE Team website to see if your mod is compatible with AF.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
And using SS you can indeed achieve TC, which is way more user friendly and yields super predictable results: it's set and forget. You just hit and draw, never have to worry about combustion or ruining the taste or your bowl because you overdid the trigger.

If you select the right grade and gauge it's perfectly possible to have non glowing SS coils. They should oxidize about only to where they start becoming golden (the very top of the color chart, somewhere between the two firsts) My SS coils are definitely not glowing during use when properly regulated and made of the right gauge.

Just check what SS profiles your mod supports. Often they just have SS316 and it can be good enough sometimes even with a different grade, if you are ok to live with a temperature displayed on screen which is not what your material will be exposed to (it's just an offset tho so no big deal) The best is to have a mod that supports TCR or even TFR (curves)

If you are concerned about the presence of Nickel in regular stainless, you might try SS430 which has none. It has a lower corrosion resistance as a result (yet still stainless) but since we don't use them submerged in liquid it doesn't matter at all for us.

all-you-need-to-know-about-the-heat-affected-zone-1.jpg

GradeANugs

If you select the right grade and gauge it's perfectly possible to have non glowing SS coils. They should oxidize about only to where they start becoming golden (the very top of the color chart, somewhere between the two firsts) My SS coils are definitely not glowing during use when properly regulated and made of the right gauge.

Just check what SS profiles your mod supports. Often they just have SS316 and it can be good enough sometimes even with a different grade, if you are ok to live with a temperature displayed on screen which is not what your material will be exposed to (it's just an offset tho so no big deal) The best is to have a mod that supports TCR or even TFR (curves)

If you are concerned about the presence of Nickel in regular stainless, you might try SS430 which has none. It has a lower corrosion resistance as a result (yet still stainless) but since we don't use them submerged in liquid it doesn't matter at all for us.

I jumped the gun and ordered some SS316L 24ga before considering all the options, since it was the only SS wire option available on the only site I could find the Espion 200W mod in stock, and there was only 1 mod left and I needed to spend an extra $5.01 for free shipping. I hope that works for this setup without glowing the coils.

I've never replaced or wrapped my own coils before. Does it require soldering? I'd be worried about the solder off gassing too, lol it never ends!

GradeANugs,
Top Bottom