Done with burning, got some health questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title reads, Im pretty much done with burning my flowers. About a week ago I started coughing up some gnarly looking phlegm. Had some pretty distinct grey ashy colour to it...About a week goes by and I notice I have some pain in my lungs. This resembles pleurisy, which isn't a good sign. Ive pretty much decided to save up for a vaporizer (im using my buddies for now).

I love bud, and im willing to do the vapor thing (more than willing, actually) but I was honestly wondering if it will make that MUCH of a difference in health. I know you get smoke sometimes, Ive burned my weed through the SSV ive been using, So I often wonder how effective the vaping process is in actually preventing lung damage and pulmonary infections. If anyone has some Knowledge (not just pho-stoner know-how) about the science behind vapes and how they are better than burning, I would love to hear it. Also, if anyone has any links to good vapes (besides the SSV, honestly, it burns weed too much for my taste), that would be great. My budget is about 150, and im willing to go used.

Happy hitting!

thatgamecalledsurvival,

weedemon

enthusiast
maybe this will help you :)

http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabisVaporizer.pdf

as for your daily dose of "pho stoner" stuff

The lower temp spectrum is key to minimize the risk of accidental combustion or the releasing of any undesirables from your herbs.

if you want to be sure you have nothing but actives then make concentrates! you remove the herb from the equation before it gets a chance to get burned. (I prefer herbs over my oils though personally)

choosing a healthy vape (im talking airpath here) is probably something you want to consider also.

weedemon,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
It sounds like you need a log vaporizer. I would strongly recommend a used or new CRZ, UD, or HI (if you can wait for this one, it's worth it)..

They wont combust your herbs, you can have temp control options with some and they are just so fun!

Elluzion,

beach bum

I echo Elluzion's suggestion of a log vape (or possibly a Solo, if you prefer something portable), given your budget constraints. However, SSV is one darned good vape. I'd say turn the heat down so you are not combusting, get vaked, then spend some time reading up on vapes that interest you. Might stumble upon something that catches your eye and feels "just right". :2c:

beach bum,
I really like the log vape. Only problem is the fact that it looks like you can't get an exact number on the temp. does anyone know how hot they heat up to? Id love to hear some success stories as well.

thatgamecalledsurvival,

weedemon

enthusiast
If you do go with a log vape, may i suggest you get a variable voltage adapter so you can change the heat a little bit. I would say the CRZ, HI and UD are all excellent choices to consider. the HI may get a slight nod (because of build materials) in my opinion but to each their own. My UD vapes are great, I don't use them anymore though only because I have others (the ones in green) that better fill my needs.

weedemon,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I really like the log vape. Only problem is the fact that it looks like you can't get an exact number on the temp. does anyone know how hot they heat up to? Id love to hear some success stories as well.

Well with log vapes you can feel out the temperatures you like more instead of getting a direct "read out". I don't know if this is something that you have patience to experiment with, but it could be fun :).. & with a VV connected to the vapes (like weedemon mentioned), you can control your temperature by changing the voltage. Of course each of the log vapes is going to run in a preferred range (pretty sure the CRZ runs well between 13.5-14.2v, HI up to 12.v max, & UD up to 13-14v I believe.

I have owned/currently own the CRZ, UD, and HI.

All I can say is that they are ALL great. You can't really go wrong with either one. I'd say if you want a bigger bowl size to go with the UD or HI because you have more adjustment. With the CRZ the bowl is very small and helps you conserve a lot, but it's harder to get those bigger hits like with the UD or HI. The CRZ goes more "slow and steady", but with the VV you can take the race car as fast as you want! :)

Also the UD and HI have a less restricted draw flow so you normally can medicate faster with these two, but it's not to say with the VV and CRZ that you can't get blasted and medicate fast with some higher voltages.

The cool thing is that with different options of stems, and the VV power supplies, you have a wide range of options. Also they are all great to hook up to glass.

Currently my preferred setup is my HI and my new glass piece. But my CRZ also performs very well with the glass too, the HI is just more fun atm. But also remember you have to wait on a list to get the HI, so advantage of a CRZ or UD is that you can get it soon. I would personally look into each thread about the Underdog, CeramnicRockzap, and Heat Island, and see which one you get the best "vibes" from and then just go with your instinct. Also looking at all the unique wood grains can get exciting and you can easily connect with a piece (atleast I have found). Contact me personally if you have any specific questions about anything! I am by no means an expert, but I can hopefully help.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
If you look around on Ebay, I'm sure you can find and Extreme Q for maybe $20 more than what you want to spend, new. Saw one for $175 yesterday, full kit.

Quetzalcoatl,

Nycdeisel

Vapor will make a HUGE difference, as most any vaporist can attest to. Its nothing like smoke, just sweet, sweet vapor :nod:

I too will suggest a log vape, specifically the one I love and have used, the CRZ. Its just great at being gentle on the lungs, super efficient and gives nice potent vapor, and its stealth and has a great taste .

I also suggest getting a water pipe to accompany the vaporizer you choose. You dont need to filter here like with smoke but it does provide a couple of very nice benefits. and those would be that it filters out very small particulates(a lot you may not be able to see until it starts to build up, others might let larger particles through that you can easily spot, depending on the vape, and how the material is ground up for it) AND it cools down the vapor, even though vapor is way cooler then smoke, for people who are sensitive and dealing with health issues this slight cooling down of the vapor can help a LOT. I also suggest at looking at other areas of health, like your diet, lifestyle, and anything you may breathe in(this could be cleaning products, hot water during a shower, body care products, or other sprays, fragrances, perfumes or any things that might go into the air). You may want to invest in a good air purifier for your home as well, and get some house plants that will help to cleanse the air.
BTW using BLEACH in cleaning any part of your home can react with different substances(even food, or waste) to create mustard gas, as well as chloroform. The mustard gas can stop the lungs from functioning, and the cloroform sure as hell isnt safe either. lots of things to keep in mind here. Get well soon. and get to vaping :D

CaliGuy

I echo Elluzion's suggestion of a log vape (or possibly a Solo, if you prefer something portable), given your budget constraints. However, SSV is one darned good vape. I'd say turn the heat down so you are not combusting, get vaked, then spend some time reading up on vapes that interest you. Might stumble upon something that catches your eye and feels "just right". :2c:
General question -- why are log vapes less susceptible to combusting herbs than other types of vapes?

Regarding the original post, I've seen reputable studies (one by UCSF I think) that showed that vaporizers were free of almost all the carcinogens in regular smoke.

CaliGuy,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
The log vapes do not combust because, unless you are using a vv, it is fixed temp. The temp they are fixed at is too low to combust.

momofthegoons,

beach bum

Cali, mom is correct - the fixed temp used by multiple log vapes is generally too low to combust. I know Rick (AZ/MZ/CRZ) carried a variable power supply for a bit, which allows one to increase the temp. I've read some good reviews on them, but haven't personally used one. The temp at which my CRZ runs (and my PDs for that matter), suits me just fine.

beach bum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think the reason it's hard to combust with logs mostly has to do with their design tbh. My HI has a very short air-path from the heating element to the herbs and I've come pretty close to combustion with that one using the SS nipple (the HI can make use of different stems). I think the HI is unique in that aspect, with most logs the hot air has to travel a little further because the heating element sits lower in the unit, which makes it virtually if not completely impossible to get hot enough for combustion. Even when using them on a higher voltage then the standard 12V. This does give the HI an edge in performance for the high-temp vaporist, but it also makes it put out very hot vapor.

OhTheAgony,
Just borrowed my buddies vapir. Sorry to anyone in advance who owns this vape and enjoys it, but that plastic taste/smell , im my opinion, scares me more than burning...:2c:

anyway, im pretty much sold on this UD. I love the way it looks though. After talking to the guy who makes em, I really feel like once i have enough money to spend, Ill probably end up buying a smaller one.

can anyone who currently vapes out of a UD attest to the state of the already vaped buds? Most of the buds from my SSV had black burnt edges...anyone notice this with the UD?

BTW if anyone has any used ones, that they would be willing to sell to me for a better price than retail, I would love to hear from you.

thatgamecalledsurvival,

djonkoman

Just borrowed my buddies vapir. Sorry to anyone in advance who owns this vape and enjoys it, but that plastic taste/smell , im my opinion, scares me more than burning...:2c:

anyway, im pretty much sold on this UD. I love the way it looks though. After talking to the guy who makes em, I really feel like once i have enough money to spend, Ill probably end up buying a smaller one.

can anyone who currently vapes out of a UD attest to the state of the already vaped buds? Most of the buds from my SSV had black burnt edges...anyone notice this with the UD?

BTW if anyone has any used ones, that they would be willing to sell to me for a better price than retail, I would love to hear from you.
I have a vvps(variable voltage power supply) with my UD, and so far I've never combusted, only been able to get it darkbrown, but the temps I usually vape at makes the abv come out more lightbrown.
the abv is pretty evenly colored, I do often stir though(but for that often ticking with your finger against the bowlend of the stem is enough)
with the stock power suply I got lightbrown/yellow abv or even sometimes green specks in it, but that's because I live in europe, and the stock adaptor with EU plug runs on a slightly lower voltage. wich is where the vvps comes in handy, now I can choose if I want highrer temp thicker vapor, or more taste with lower temp and thinner vapor, or higher temp for hash

djonkoman,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom