Does vaping make you stupid?

bonsai006

Sorry for the dumb question, I've been smoking pot 2-3 times a week lately and I feel like I am getting dumber, is this because the carbon monoxide? Does vaping have the same affect?

bonsai006,

lwien

Pot makes you feel stupid? Well, there IS a reason why it's called dope, eh? ;)

Feeling smart all day can be exhausting.

lwien,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@OP -- yes, on the CO ... vapor is a much more of a high than a stone.

Hippie Dickie,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
bonsai006 said:
Sorry for the dumb question, I've been smoking pot 2-3 times a week lately and I feel like I am getting dumber, is this because the carbon monoxide? Does vaping have the same affect?
How do you feel dumber? (with my brain) I mean, what has drawn you to this conclusion?

I think there are some studies that indicate short -term memory MAY be affected, but its a temporary thing, or so THEY say. I may have read that they've disproved that, so now I'm not sure.

It's like masturbation and glasses. They say masturbation is bad for the eyes, so I just did it until I needed glasses. Just vape until you forget your Mother's name. They all go by Mom, anyway.

macbill,

Mckdenton

macbill said:
It's like masturbation and glasses. They say masturbation is bad for the eyes, so I just did it until I needed glasses.
wait what? :cool:

Mckdenton,
You know, there have been many times that weed has made me feel forgetful, or maybe even absentminded, but I have never felt like I was getting dumber. Weed just makes me more prone to being distracted by all the thoughts that are constantly running through my mind. If I ever felt more like Lenny instead of George, I would stop right away.

SkeletonLips,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
SkeletonLips; good call about being distracted by all of the thoughts that are running through one's mind. Most of the time I(most?) easily ignore these thoughts. When in a relaxed mood such as Cannabis can allow, I can easily focus on these thoughts. It's even pleasant I suppose.

To the OP; any time you feel that any 'substance' is unduly affecting you, stop, step back and reassess.

It's not for everyone. It was not 'right' for me until I got older.

Tom

tdavie,

Ash

vaporist
Yep. my recall is definitely affected. Mostly I just can't find that right word to express what I'm thinking. I wouldn't say I'm any dumber, but I'm not quite a quick as when I haven't vaped in a while. The next time work starts to get challenging I'll lay off of it, but for now the herb is no real impediment.

Ash,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Not really. It does make me more focused on trivial tasks and I like that when I am doing something like mowing the lawn or something like that.

AGBeer,

RussyRoo

Ash said:
Yep. my recall is definitely affected. Mostly I just can't find that right word to express what I'm thinking. I wouldn't say I'm any dumber, but I'm not quite a quick as when I haven't vaped in a while. The next time work starts to get challenging I'll lay off of it, but for now the herb is no real impediment.
Totally agree. I stop if it's annoying me, or before dealines and my recall speeds up again fairly quickly. It's nice to have a tolerance break anyway :p

RussyRoo,

stuey

There are lots of factors, you may be smoking too late at night and waking up feeling fuzzy next day.

You may just need to build up a tolerance.

You may be smoking very strong weed.

You may be smoking too much.

It may be effecting your natural sleep patterns.

It may just not suit you.

The good thing about weed is that if it dosen't suit you and it is making you feel dumber then if you stop smoking you will be back to normal within a week or so.

I know when I was younger I smoked too much too often. It effected me at work. I didnt realise it was me, people would say I was forgetting stuff all the time and TBH I didnt believe them, I thought they were exaggerating.. I stopped smoking as much and everyone seemed to think I was a lot more on the ball. Then a few years later I had a manager who was a huge stoner and TBH I could then see what people were chiming on about. As much as I liked her, she was a nightmare to work with because she kept forgetting the little things you mentioned to her day to day. It got to the point where I couldnt really have a work related conversation with her, if it was important I had to insist she emailed me (even though we sat next to each other) That might sound silly but it meant that 6 weeks later when a problem came up with something we had emailed about I could pull up the email and show her whereas a conversation, she didnt believe we had had it.. which was exactly how I was when I was smoking too much too often.

stuey,

Raf007

Retailer
nop, never felt dumber after weed.
ImHo, it,s all in your head. :D

Raf007,
I honestly am not familiar with the short-term memory loss you people are talking about. Perhaps it is more situational and dependent on your baseline mental acuity and/or other personal factors that are not being discussed.

It may also be that you are describing effects from when you were (or are) combusting. When I smoke, I definitely get the "fog effect" that is not there when vaping, but never encountered a problem with recall ability. Maybe it is the gingko I have been taking for years? I actually find I can focus better on a situation when I am sufficiently medicated to not feel the persistent and sometimes overwhelming joint pain that colors my life.

So anyway, your mileage may vary (as they say) but I do not feel dumber nor do people comment on my performance while under the influence.

Or maybe I am just too dumb to recognize it. ;)

Howie Feltersnatch,

stuey

Howie Feltersnatch said:
I honestly am not familiar with the short-term memory loss you people are talking about. Perhaps it is more situational and dependent on your baseline mental acuity and/or other personal factors that are not being discussed.

It may also be that you are describing effects from when you were (or are) combusting. When I smoke, I definitely get the "fog effect" that is not there when vaping, but never encountered a problem with recall ability. Maybe it is the gingko I have been taking for years? I actually find I can focus better on a situation when I am sufficiently medicated to not feel the persistent and sometimes overwhelming joint pain that colors my life.

So anyway, your mileage may vary (as they say) but I do not feel dumber nor do people comment on my performance while under the influence.

Or maybe I am just too dumb to recognize it. ;)
You probably aren't aware of it yourself, but others around you may be aware of it! Its pretty common. If a lion jumped out at you on your way home, you would remember that! but smaller things that seem quite trivial at the time tend to go in one ear and out the other.

Maybe the gingko is helping, but I'd be surprised if vaping every day had zero effect on your recall.

I wouldnt worry about it.. if it dosent seem to be effecting you then I really wouldnt give it a second thought.

stuey,

steiner666

Serial vapist
momofthegoons said:
What was the question? :ko: :uhoh:
+1 lol

I think the only negative effects for me is short term memory loss and therefor a reduced ability to multitask. If i say, just get done vaping a bowl and my g/f asks me to go get something at the store, theres no way i'd leave and forget what i was doing or what i was going to get or anything major like that. But if she asks me to go to the store and get a couple things and ALSO to remember to... lets say, bring something she forgot in the car up with me when i get home and make sure the pets have food or something, i'll usually forget to do one of those things, at least until i get back in the house when i'm like "dammit!" , but thats nothing unusual really, everyone forgets.

vaping makes me able to focus on one thing/task better though, it's like it turns my brain into a 6Ghz single core CPU instead of a 3ghz dual core, to put it into a nerdy metaphor. IMO, the vaping experience is best when you know that you won't have to be juggling multiple tasks and are able to just relax and enjoy it while doing something you like to do, or if you need to do something that requires you to be creative and think abstract/out of the box and let your mind wander off a bit. Like, it helps me be creative musically and artistically in gen, but if i'm doing math equations or chemistry or something that requires my mind to be a bit sharp, I forgo vaping until those tasks/worries are done with.

Also, if i vape late at night, esp good shit like wandhash, I wake up the next day feeling kinda... stoned and almost a little drunk, like i'm a a bit uncoordinated and disoriented and groggy for the first hour or so, depending on how early i got up that day.

ayways, if you're really concern about the effects of it, just stop vaking/smoking/eating it for a couple days and make sure you feel the same when you dont have any in your system.

steiner666,

username420

stuey said:
You may be smoking very strong weed.
I'm gonna break from the pack a little here and say yes. I haven't actually vaped yet (why I'm here - to learn), so I can't speak to that part of your question, but I have smoked weed that made me feel worse than stupid. As recently as February I had some weed that made me feel downright retarded. The feeling wears off though, and like everyone says, you start to feel normal again as the toxins are removed from your body.

Some of the weed going around out there is freakishly potent creeper. So, you don't know until 15 minutes later and the effects start to kick in that you did WAY too much. Like everyone says, stop doing it for a while and you'll start to feel normal again. Even short-term memory loss is a temporary side effect in my experience.

username420,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
I've been indulging going on 42 years now, and it seems that it hasn't affected my inherent intelligence or ability to reason. Way back when (70's) I was a member of MENSA, an international organization for people with high IQ's (98 percentile on the Stanford Binet Intelligence Test) My IQ was then measured as 172. I dropped out because I don't play well with others.:brow: Back in 2004 I retested and actually showed a slight increase up to 176. I hadn't smoked for about 2-weeks prior to testing the 2nd time in 04. I guess it's safe to say that long term use hasn't negatively affected my intelligence or reasoning ability.

I have also wrote and published numerous technical scientific papers over the years while being stoned and they were more than accepted by my peers. Once back in 1983 I presented a technical paper on organotins and condenser tube sheet macro fouling at Magill University, Montreal in front of a crowd of about 300 of my peers while I was stoned. :ko: I even took and answered questions. :o Nobody had the slightest notion that I was stoned, but they did find me a bit odd due to my numerous tattoos.

Yes, my short term memory is affected when I'm stoned, and for some time shortly thereafter, maybe about 1 day or so, but it springs right back with no lasting consequences. Smoking would always slow my brain and thinking down to the point of being able to more consistently focus, no kidding.

So, at least for me it hasn't affected me in any negative way associated with my cognitive processes.
I cant speak for everyone, but that's my story.

Lycanthrope,

realvapedman

Me like breathe in magical mist. Magical mist have many power. Make me feel like leaf floating in wind. Me think me smarter guy because me breath magical mist from holy incense tree. :ko:

You breath magical mist you smarter guy too. No black smoke. Black smoke bad. Black smoke make you black inside too, bad for smarter guy. Make smart guy dumb then make smart guy sick. Magic mist clean black inside from black smoke. Smarter guy feel better. Smarter guy feel smarter. Me like Magic mist. Magic mist smart. Black smoke dumb.

realvapedman,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Lol... Okay vaping may not make folks stupid but it sure does make follks post stupid things ;)

I know I've been guilty :D

Lo,
Top Bottom