Does cannabis effect your digestive system?

Nosferatu

How do you feel cannabis use effects the way your digestive system or metabolism work? For me lately it has been slowing my metabolism to a crawl, so much so I can only bear using later in the day if I want to have a normal eating/defecating schedule. Has anyone else ever heard of this effect? I know the plant has been known as metabolism potentiator in ancient communities like India, but maybe I have my facts wrong.

Does cannabis use affect your eating or defecating schedule in a negative way as well? I can't believe I'm typing this.. :p

Nosferatu,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Just positive in my case, if anything.

I don't really notice a difference in my digestive system, it may speed things up a little but I can't be sure. But I often have problems working up an appetite, and I skip meals because of that regularly when I'm off the mj for some reason.

OhTheAgony,

hogleg

whats your source is it clean? maybe there are some contaminants in your stash ?

hogleg,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Cannabis gots a some essential oils that can be irritating to your stomach if you suffer GERD or smth similar..
There many things that can fuck up your stomach. You might wanna check in if are into munchies about
e-numbers and stuff(if you haven't already)
http://curezone.com/foods/enumbers.asp Simple things like bubble gums contain many thing that intoxicating your saliva.. and its path.. Keep away from Aspartam,Maltitol,Sorbitol.. and other mates from the Cancer crew..
-----------------------------------------

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Bravesst

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I use cannabis to aid my digestive system. I cannot eat much of anything without it, due to a lack of appetite, and what I do eat doesn't digest well. Cannabis helps all around for my digestive system; appetite stimulation, it eases the digestive tract to help food be consumed, and helps with bowel movements as well. I also suffer from GERD, and it helps with that enough that I don't take a pill for it.

I am curious along with Hogleg as to the quality of the herb you're consuming...as he asked, is the herb clean? is it decent quality, etc? any info would probably help...

:peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

Nosferatu

The herb is quality organic and certainly super clean trust me. I used to use it to aid my eating but now its almost having a reverse effect and usually I don't get hungry after partaking. I have a healthy diet I believe and don't eat junk food or chew gum I know everything I eat is pure. So i don't think that's the problem, I also know my bud is all organically grown and checked so I would rule that out. I naturally feel healthy and have a normal metabolism and go to the bathroom regularly but even taking cannabis in in such a clean manner I still feel it is having a negative impact on my health. Namely just relaxes my bowels or stomach, I guess thats a good thing, just not from morning till night. Maybe I just need a break, I havent taken a day off in like two years, but I know many of you go even longer and are fine.

Nosferatu,

madnezz344

live free and live elevated :}
Relaxes me from the pain of my condition when it hits me from time to time. Easier to use the restroom as far as digestive effects go.

madnezz344,

djonkoman

I have a rule for myself that I never vape before breakfast. ocassional exceptions are allowed as long as it doesn't get regular and never happens 2 times in a row. I implented this after I once had a free week where in I vaoed a lot and started every day off with a wake&bake. eventually I lost my appetite in the morning, especially when I got back into my regular shedule without wake&bake, but also with wake&bake I had less appetite in the morning as before.
besides not I notice nothing negative, maybe quickens up my metabolism. when I'm a high a lot I sometimes shit 2 or even 3 ties a day I noticed, but that's more exception than rule. my metabolism feels very regularand good, maybe also because I have a somewhat healthy taste(for example, I like brown fullgrain bread, but I've never liked white bread)

vape4life

Banned for life
The herb is quality organic and certainly super clean trust me. I used to use it to aid my eating but now its almost having a reverse effect and usually I don't get hungry after partaking. I have a healthy diet I believe and don't eat junk food or chew gum I know everything I eat is pure. So i don't think that's the problem, I also know my bud is all organically grown and checked so I would rule that out. I naturally feel healthy and have a normal metabolism and go to the bathroom regularly but even taking cannabis in in such a clean manner I still feel it is having a negative impact on my health. Namely just relaxes my bowels or stomach, I guess thats a good thing, just not from morning till night. Maybe I just need a break, I havent taken a day off in like two years, but I know many of you go even longer and are fine.

My appetite is really bizarre and i'm pretty chronic. It's funny, I took a 2 month tolerance break and when I started vaping I got the normal effects and started passing out on the sofa, munchies, etc. but after falling into the chronic trap I don't get much of an appetite, especially if not medicated. I think there is a direct connection to digestion. I'm going to just try and cut back, big time.

vape4life,

weedemon

enthusiast
on days where I have having heartburn issues I find vaping (any ingestion in general afaik) makes it worse for me. they are acids afteral. so maybe there is sense to it. i dunno

weedemon,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Interesting to here all of these things! Looks like we all have some unique digestive systems, both pre and post cannabis use!

I never had an appetite in the mornings, or most of the day for that matter, pre cannabis use. Mornings were more pronounced though...the smell of food was nauseating. Now, I can eat whenever I please, as long as I can medicate prior, which is a better option than eating hardly at all!

As I mentioned previously, it also seems to help my heartburn/gerd...the ingestion itself can be irritating, if I am already having a heartburn type of issue, but since using cannabis regularly, esp vaping, I haven't had any issues in that department.

One thing that I believe is a constant for all of us, however, is tolerance. If you don't keep your tolerance in control, you'll probably experience issues. I try to keep my tolerance from getting too high...not an easy task, but it is possible (I couldn't have fathomed it a year ago lol)...If your tolerance gets to the point where you can't get as medicated as you usually can, you'll likely notice issues in areas where cannabis stimulates, or otherwise aids you. :2c:

I am curious to hear more from other users on this topic as well though!

:peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

NewSchoolExplorer

For me I had a major intestinal surgery to remove 2 feet of my intestine and my GERD symptoms are not that bad but some days are worse than others. I use the restroom to urinate more often than most individuals but my doctor said that with time your stomach will adjust and normalize. I feel that this same principle should apply to this as well. BTW bad eating habits can cause problems especially when you have the munchies lol. It is also wise to have a journal recording the foods you eat and how your stomach reacts as I was told different foods (probably applies to cannabis as well) will affect different people differently. Some people have a more accepting digestive system than others. Some are more sensitive than others. Thanks for creating a interesting thread and hope to read the general consensus once I am back on earth from this intense vape shesh ;)

Nycdeisel

I believe that cannabis relaxes the LES(lower esophageal sphincter ) and that can sometimes trigger GERD/reflux . It is very good for pain as we all know and has a lot of positive effects on the digestive tract, reduces nasea, relaxes the muscles(the stomach is a muscular organ after all), and more.

For me, I have to be careful not to vape too soon after a heavy meal, or first thing in the morning, these upset my stomach. But everybody is different. Like with food, you may need to adjust your herb consuming routine. The foods you eat are super important. If you are not eating right then just about everything else can go right out the window.

Different herbs and spices can aid in digestion as well, a quick search should give you a nice hearty list of herbs that are known to be a digestive aid, soothe the stomach and digestive system. Cilantro is one for example that everyone should know about and probably has in their kitchen cupboard. I suggest as much organic , FRESH food as possible, avoid processed things.

Do be aware of food allergies as well. There are dairy allergies, gluten(wheat) allergies, even a milk protein allergy(different then being lactose intolerance), and tons of other things that may upset one. Generally, if something upsets your digestion, or just does not affect your body well overall, you should avoid it. some things that arent bad simply need to be started slowly if they cause irritation at first , gradually working ones way up to consume more.

I have also found when I make edibles(fresh or ABV, but i dont often use fresh herb for cooking) that I must strain all the plant matter. The last time I tried eating straight ABV(that HAD been ground fine once more before consuming) mixed in with some food that normally never upsets me, i was in bed for two days. Just making an example of this. Keep in mind everything you put in or on your body, sometimes even from very little amount, can make changes to your bodies functions.

i can not give medical advice, but i am simply sharing some of my own experiences and personal knowledge and opinions. I deal with GERD and indigestion on a regular basis and thought I could contribute to this thread.

remember, health is wealth. we are nothing without it.

technique

on days where I have having heartburn issues I find vaping (any ingestion in general afaik) makes it worse for me. they are acids afteral. so maybe there is sense to it. i dunno

Thats strange i can suffer from heart burn too and when i do i find it impossible to eat due to it but having a bit to vape completely cures me of it and allows me to have a decent meal.

technique,

vape4life

Banned for life
I think cannabis withdrawl effects our digestion systems way more than cannabis effects it directly. Alot of people say it then cures them of symptoms or ailments simply because they didn't give enough time to be 110% metabolite free, therefore they claim that cannabis cures them. It's a tricky cause and effect relationship this plant.... I do love it, but i'm definitely faaaaar from figuring it out, and that goes for an unbias that will accept negative effects just as readily as positive.

vape4life,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Everytime I use Cannabis I feel as if it speeds up my digestive system and my body system overall, as if it is becoming more efficient. I think by speeding up the heart rate digestion rates increase and hunger easily hits all the time. It definitely affects digestion, but I feel as if it works in a positive manner.

Elluzion,

weedemon

enthusiast
Thats strange i can suffer from heart burn too and when i do i find it impossible to eat due to it but having a bit to vape completely cures me of it and allows me to have a decent meal.

well i totally agree it helps with appetite, but im saying i remember my heartburn only getting worse when I have it already and and still vaping. what nyc was saying about it opening my lower esophageal sphincter (LES, cool i didn't know what it was called) which i already have a condition with it being leaky. so if weed actually opens it further. that makes perfect sense.

does the meal itself get rid of your heartburn? Or is it the weed first and then you can eat?

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

I usually vape first. Sometimes I can eat and vaporize in close proximity. but thats usually only with certain foods and small amounts.
Generally i notice that my digestion is already pretty slow, so vaping right after a meal doesnt help me, but makes my stomach too relaxed to process the food in a timely manner IMO.

I read good tip recently, that cold liquid slows down digestion, your digestive system speeds up with warm/hot food/drinks.

Sounds like you have a 'leaky gut syndrome' similar to what I am experiencing.

I find that a cup of hot tea(organic, and made with purified water) with something called Manuka honey is particularly effective in helping speed up a slow digestion. manuka honey(made by bees feeding from the Manuka plant/flower, which grows wild in New zealand) has special antibacterial and healing properties. It even helped to heal a bad skin rash. I am always discovering interesting new natural remedies that seem to help aid these problems. I suggest you look into some of them.

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: vape4life

technique

well i totally agree it helps with appetite, but im saying i remember my heartburn only getting worse when I have it already and and still vaping. what nyc was saying about it opening my lower esophageal sphincter (LES, cool i didn't know what it was called) which i already have a condition with it being leaky. so if weed actually opens it further. that makes perfect sense.

does the meal itself get rid of your heartburn? Or is it the weed first and then you can eat?

I will have situations where eating is impossible as every time I swallow the heart burn pain is quite bad making eating very uncomfortable but after a vape the pain seems to have disapeared and i can enjoy a meal.

I'm not sure how or why but vaping relives my symptoms

technique,

Nycdeisel

Probably too tense, some people need the muscles to relax and chill.

One more good tip, is to chew your food a lot more, so your stomach does less of the hard labor of breaking it down. I hear chewing till its about liquid is quite helpful indeed, but chewing more then usual can definitely make a difference.

i would edit these posts if i could but oh well that feature is gone

Nycdeisel,

-francois-

I think cannabis withdrawl effects our digestion systems way more than cannabis effects it directly. Alot of people say it then cures them of symptoms or ailments simply because they didn't give enough time to be 110% metabolite free, therefore they claim that cannabis cures them. It's a tricky cause and effect relationship this plant.... I do love it, but i'm definitely faaaaar from figuring it out, and that goes for an unbias that will accept negative effects just as readily as positive.
@vape4life I experience exactly what you are trying to explain on this thread. I have been a chronic user for three years (vaporisation not smoking). This summer I went on vacation abroad and chose not to take my medication with me. As a result I had difficulties to digest all the duration of the vacation. (Withadrawl symptoms you may say). However I chose to take a break for professional reasons since 1st septembrer. Now more than 2 month later I still experience severe digestive issues. This bothers me a lot because I would like to vape again in a few months. But if it's my beloved weed that triggers the symptoms for such a long time (when you take a break from it), it is quite upsetting ! I love vaping but don't like the idea of being "digestive dependant" to it. So my question is to people who may have experienced such problems: How have you been able to manage your cannabis consumption without your digestive system getting used to cannabis and thus getting too lazy to digest properly without it ? Thanks and sorry for my poor English.

-francois-,

howie105

How do you feel cannabis use effects the way your digestive system or metabolism work? For me lately it has been slowing my metabolism to a crawl, so much so I can only bear using later in the day if I want to have a normal eating/defecating schedule. Has anyone else ever heard of this effect? I know the plant has been known as metabolism potentiator in ancient communities like India, but maybe I have my facts wrong.

Does cannabis use affect your eating or defecating schedule in a negative way as well? I can't believe I'm typing this.. :p

Part of drug use like life is management, if one can't manage their drugs or choices in life then drugs and life will manage them. How that success or failure manifests for MJ depends mostly on the individual but you can't rule out the MJ involved, device used, health, age, etc. In my case if I over consume MJ I usually chair flop and if I chair flop for too long things can run off the rails. Bad digestion, mental clarity and overeating, most of the usual suspects and a few unique to my situation. On the other hand if I am on my game and manage my intake I can get off the couch (less pain), stay active and control many of the potential challenges I associated with my use and my life is better.

howie105,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
It's weird and wonderful how open this site is to topics that might be considered unpleasant. Having said that....

I noticed something when I first started vaping but didn't bring it up till this thread opened the door.....

Once the vape high kicks in fully I experience about 3-5 minutes of feeling, as my kids have been known to say, like I could drop a deuce. In case this is another one of those phrases that differs by country I'll say it in an adult manner....feels like I could defecate. When the five minutes are over the feeling is gone. It's not a 'OMG I gotta go now!' kind of thing. It's more of a 'could' instead of a 'gotta'. In other words...I don't have to act on it. When it kicks in just before exercising I will usually let it pass. I never got this feeling when combusting. The feeling is not always a truth teller either.

Always wondered if I was the only one experiencing this.

His_Highness,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I have a rule for myself that I never vape before breakfast. ocassional exceptions are allowed as long as it doesn't get regular and never happens 2 times in a row. I implented this after I once had a free week where in I vaoed a lot and started every day off with a wake&bake. eventually I lost my appetite in the morning, especially when I got back into my regular shedule without wake&bake, but also with wake&bake I had less appetite in the morning as before.
besides not I notice nothing negative, maybe quickens up my metabolism. when I'm a high a lot I sometimes shit 2 or even 3 ties a day I noticed, but that's more exception than rule. my metabolism feels very regularand good, maybe also because I have a somewhat healthy taste(for example, I like brown fullgrain bread, but I've never liked white bread)
This, I find, is essential to enjoying a day of vaping. NOT SMOKING UNTIL I'M UP AT LEAST 3 HOURS or after breakfast (usually the same for me). I think I'd like to eventually get to a PM only, I feel I'll enjoy it more, and have more energy. My bathroom habits are good, and unchanged by cannabis, but I've been smoking (of course now vaping for over a year and hate smoking) for 40 years with very few days missed. Don't sweat 2 years.

I have a pretty fast metabolism, same body weight (and relative composition) as when I first became a firefighter (33 years ago), about 165 (at 5"11"). I've always felt it impacted my health in a positive way, even when I smoked. I should mention, I've also been exercising (not fanitcaly, but intensely) since I'm 13 or 14.

MinnBobber

Once the vape high kicks in fully I experience about 3-5 minutes of feeling, as my kids have been known to say, like I could drop a deuce. In case this is another one of those phrases that differs by country I'll say it in an adult manner....feels like I could defecate. When the five minutes are over the feeling is gone. It's not a 'OMG I gotta go now!' kind of thing. It's more of a 'could' instead of a 'gotta'.
IMO, it's the initial cannabis whole body relaxation kicking in----where with the relaxation, you could take poop..........

Top Bottom