Do you only grind the amount you want to use???

Kuroth

Account Closed
Hi all.. Brand new to vaping.. Just got a Magic-Flight LB and love it so far...

A question I had about vaping in general... Do you guys only grind the amount you want to use at that time or do you grind ahead of time??? Reason I ask is I know how when storing bugs they say not to disturb it and leave it stored and intact until you are ready to use it.. So I would think you would only grind when you are going to use it fairly soon???

In other words not grind a bunch ahead of time..

Kuroth,

Mark

John Brown
I always grind EVERYTHING at once, well, at least a quarter at once. You get a much better grind and don't risk 'dusting' the weed. I grind with a Magic Bullet multipurpose grinder though.

And dude, if you have to worry about bugs your storing it wrong. But if I am going to be storing it inside a freezer, I leave it ground. But if it is coming out of the Freezer indefinitely then it will all be ground. I'd keep it in an airtight mason jar or something. I use a Thermos for both dry storage and in the freezer.

Mark,

DJDIZZY

I usually get an 1/8 or 1/4 when I pick up. I have a space case scout that I use for my PD and DBV. I will load the scout till its full and grind that up. Vape till its gone and repeat.

DJDIZZY,

Kuroth

Account Closed
Hi.. Thanks for the replies... I am not worried about bugs.... LOL Not sure where that came from...
I have just alwasy read that you should store buds in glass jars and only take out the amount you need and dont disturb the rest.. Something about the THC and the curing and storing process..

I store in glass jars... So far I only grind the amout I will use for the next day or so...(Which is not much)

Kuroth,

Mezz Mezzrow

Hippie Dickie said:
i never grind
nicelytoasted said:
I never grind, either.
That's interesting. I'd noticed in his vids that Tokin was stuffing whole buds into his wand and then chopping it up with a pair of scissors as he vaped. Pre-grinding seems so much easier to me than working with the herb while it's in that tiny little bowl.

Isn't it necessary to expose as much of the plant matter to the airflow as possible?

Mezz Mezzrow,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I grind a couple days worth. Usually fill little containers with the flavors de jour, enough for couple days. When they get low I repeat. Nowadays I now store in mason jars sealed with the foodsaver pump thingy.

I would like to know what device you use Nicely, if you don't mind... I know what Hippie D is using (love it) but wonder what other devices don't need grinding... Still working on my vape collection and always scouting :D

Lo,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Isn't it necessary to expose as much of the plant matter to the airflow as possible?
It is necessary to expose as much of the surface of the plant matter as possible.

The Bud Toaster vial is large enough to allow large-ish pieces of bud. If i grind the bud, then it all lays on top of each other and trichomes are buried. Just dropping bud bits into the vial creates a vertical column of trichomes.

Hippie Dickie,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Mezz/Lo:

I have the herbalaire 2.1 which definitely doesn't need grinding due to its' unique flow characteristics. This gives it maximum herb penetration which results in superior extraction efficiency, even for larger nugs (with no stirring required). I've examined the AVB numerous times under my microscope and it is always cooked thoroughly and evenly all the way through.

I also have the extreme and simply use small surgical scissors to carefully cut the bud into small pieces to vape. I will stir after a few hits to expose more of the bud surface as I go. Microscopic analysis of the AVB does sometimes show a small amount of green remaining, and I will simply place it into the HA to maximize the extraction.

While grinding does increase the surface area of the bud, I believe that it's not worth the loss of the volatile actives or terpenes on the bud as it's torn apart before vaping, IMO. I prefer to keep the bud as intact as possible to preserve the tastes and effects.

nicelytoasted,

anarchyreigns

I only grind, for the most part, only what I'm going to use for that session, although many times there are left overs.

anarchyreigns,

Mark

John Brown
Kuroth said:
Hi all.. Brand new to vaping.. Just got a Magic-Flight LB and love it so far...

A question I had about vaping in general... Do you guys only grind the amount you want to use at that time or do you grind ahead of time??? Reason I ask is I know how when storing bugs they say not to disturb it and leave it stored and intact until you are ready to use it.. So I would think you would only grind when you are going to use it fairly soon???

In other words not grind a bunch ahead of time..
I dunno, I guess I thought you meant something about bugs from that, haha.

Mark,

SmogTown

I tend to only grind up what I think I'll use in that session. I like the ritual of grinding the bud :D.

SmogTown,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I like the ritual of grinding the bud .
I used to adore that ritual... When my kid leaves home someday - I will return to that ritual :D

Lo,

Oddigy

I tend to use my personal grinder over the coffee grinder, so i don't grind my entire stash. It's one of those 4 piece metal grinders, has the screen and kiff chamber, and magnetic top so that it stays on well. So i just pack that, which maybe holds about 2g. It usually lasts the day for personal use, sometimes i refill depending how many people i sesh with that day.

Oddigy,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Those who don't grind, are missing out, IMO. You will get a better vape with more surface area, and have the ability to concentrate pollen on many grinders.

I have two small wood trays I use to break up on. I usually pull exactly two grams out of my glass herb jars every four days or so. Typically I have more then one strand and will do one gram of each. I let these dry for at least 24hrs before grinding, sometimes longer when extra moist, sometimes less when extra dry. I sit my wood tray on top of my cable box, which gives off just a little heat and it in an enclosed area. Dry herb vapes way better. Dry nugs grind better and allow more pollen to be removed.

If you don't get your herb very dry and chopped up very fine you are missing out in vaping a lot IMO. No matter your method, its the best vape tip out their. My :2c:

:D

IAmKrazy2,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Those who don't grind, are missing out, IMO. You will get a better vape with more surface area, and have the ability to concentrate pollen on many grinders.
You may get more surface area, but the loss of actives and the volatile terpene components from ripping apart the herb and trichomes is quite significant, IMO. I'd rather get as many goodies in the bowl as possible to optimize the vaping experience.

If you don't get your herb very dry and chopped up very fine you are missing out in vaping a lot IMO. No matter your method, its the best vape tip out their.
I disagree. How did you come to this conclusion?

nicelytoasted,

SmogTown

I think I'm goin to have to experiment with not grinding the bud. I guess I'll see what works better for me. Experimenting is fun :D.

SmogTown,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Their may be a loss of some actives, by grinding. But breaking up herb with your fingers is much worse. The oils in your hand can actually break down the goodies and you lose potency their too. With a grinder and a pollen tray, you can concentrate the goodies exactly when/where you want them. I would assume you lose very little potency by "ripping appart the herb" where does it have to go? The key is that the most surface area is exposed to vapor temps, if not broken up all the way, you may miss some goodies inside the herb itself. Here is an article i found, take the source as is, this isn't a research paper.

"n terms of vaporizing, grinding up your material exposes the maximum surface area possible for the hot air to pass through, producing a potent and consistent vapor stream. Many people dont think twice about using a grinder and use scissors or their fingers to break up their material. It is a rarely known fact that the oils found on your fingers cause damage to the active ingredients (crystals) found on your aromatherapy herbs thus making them less potent and producing less vapor. Additionally, when your material is not finely ground up and still somewhat chunky, the material has a smaller surface area leaving the inner texture unexposed and unvaporized." . .. .

http://www.vapormovement.com/?p=577

IAmKrazy2,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I grind a good size handful into my wood kief screen box for storage.. It further dries it out to the right texture and I have a SC pollen press. Saving up my pressed kief "pills" for a rocking NYE party with friends.

indigal,

Mezz Mezzrow

nicelytoasted said:
If you don't get your herb very dry and chopped up very fine you are missing out in vaping a lot IMO. No matter your method, its the best vape tip out their.
I disagree. How did you come to this conclusion?
A valid question, imo. Unfortunately there have been very few studies of vaporizing, and so we're left with a lot of anecdotal evidence, which, if repeated often enough, takes on the appearance of fact. These things may indeed be fact, but I must admit that some things I hear make sense to me and some don't.

Grinding does make sense to me though. At least up to a point. I also have an HA, and I found that although it doesn't require grinding, the more surface area you expose the thicker the vapor. However, the same logic that applies to vaping also applies to other destructive influences like light exposure or aging. The more surface area exposed to these destructive forces the quicker the herb will deteriorate.

The reasons behind drying the herb are less clear to me. The argument that the presence of water will prevent the actives from vaporizing seems counter-intuitive. Shredding the herb and then allowing it to dry seems a good way to reduce both the flavor and effectiveness. It's just like any natural product, if you remove the outer, protective layers or cut into the product it will start to break down more quickly. Keeping it whole, for as long as possible, is the best way to preserve it.

Mezz Mezzrow,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Keeping it whole, for as long as possible, is the best way to preserve it.
Couldn't agree more.

You are right, there isn't very much hard evidence in vaporizing, as little true scientific research has been done. You could almost say we are the experts, the true vape elite. I cam to my own personal opinions on drying and grinding though simple trial and error. I buy herb in mass and store in separate glass jars. I originally used moist herb with my E and my roomies VapeBro. I realized later how many more hits i got off dryer more finely grinded herb later. When friends bring herb to the place, and want to pack a vape, it is typically not super effective, especially if the person declines using my grinder or has moist nugs. Sometimes i just say, no problem. I'll pack you a couple PD's from my dry pile. Just works better. Facts are in the hits and effect, but its still my opinion.

IAmKrazy2,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Thanks for that link, Krazy, but I wouldn't rely too much on a review from a site that is trying to sell me the product that they are reviewing.

It is a rarely known fact that the oils found on your fingers cause damage to the active ingredients (crystals) found on your aromatherapy herbs thus making them less potent and producing less vapor
I'd like to see this "fact" proven scientifically. The losses of actives/tastes when drying over heat and the damage done when grinding are much more significant, IMO. I prefer to handle the herb with tweezers when cutting (if necessary) and transferring directly to the bowl.

I honestly can't see how the vaping effects can be better when grinding, since you lose so many trichomes (which contain the majority of the delta9) to the process. (I do realize that the kief can be recoverable for later enjoyment). Hits are an unreliable method of measurement IMO, and keeping the bud unprocessed and whole all the way to the vape sounds like the logical way to go, to me.

That said, I have nothing against those that grind, it can certainly be part of the ritual. I just don't like seeing comments like "If you don't get your herb very dry and chopped up very fine you are missing out in vaping a lot". It depends on the vape that you are using and to personal preference. Grinding is not the be all and end all to enjoyable and successful vaping. There are alternative/valid methods.

nicelytoasted,

Kuroth

Account Closed
Hi IAmKrazy2... I was wanting to ask you.. I have the LB and I love it.. Its the first Vaporizer I have owned so really cant compare... I was thinking about getting the PD... Since you have both the LB and PD can you tell me about the difference between the two... I guess the main area I am wondering about is efficiency(How little herb you have to use to get good effects) and the type of hits between the 2 units... From all I have read, I was almost thinking the LB and the PD might be so close, that having both is really a waste?

Thanks!

Kuroth,
Top Bottom