Do we know for sure THC vapes off before CBD/CBN?

Nosferatu

I am looking to get a higher CBD/CBN ratio than THC. I saw a post saying CBD vapes off at 365F and THC at 385F. Is this true or is it the other way around. I get real anxous highs if I dont get a decent amount of CBD/CBN's to cancell out the side effects of THC. But now I'm not sure if THC vapes off first or if i the medicinal compounds do first?

stroh

errl enthusiast
here is a handy list of vaporization temperatures.

cannabinoids
?-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

cannabigerol (CBG)
Boiling point: MP52
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC)
Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

-myrcene
Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

-caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene
Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool
Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone
Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

a-pinene
Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

a-terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene
Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin
Boiling point: 178*C / 352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin
Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A
Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

-sitosterol
Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-a-reductase, inhibitor

luchiano

Where did this list come from because it sounds way off base to me?

Like I posted in another thread, if thc boiled away that low, baked edibles wouldn't really work because thc would be gone when baking at 325f-350f when making brownies.

The merck index shows thc boiling at 392f at 0.02 MMHG.

I think it's the essential oils that are giving people that head high that they speak about when vaping low temperatures.

Here's a something to read there's more but you have to do a google search for it because it has been taken down for some reason at it's original site while that list above me is everywhere and growing. I started seeing it around 2008-2009 and people are passing it along as fact when I thing it's someone who just put it together and I thing it was based off flash points but this has changed and now it's being called the boiling points.

http://www.couchlockcafe.com/archive/index.php/t-2258.html

"In the experiments discussed here we vaporized a cannabis sample that had already been shown
to contain an unusually high amount of THC, with relatively high CBD.
We ran three separate experiments at Volcano settings 6, 7.5 and 9. At each test, the same
weight of cannabis was placed in the volcano and two bags vapped for the same time period.
Following vaporization, the carcass (sample left behind), for each temperature setting was analyzed
for the three most abundant cannabinoids.

We will attempt to tabulate below our experimental results.

Volcano Setting THC remaining mg/g CBN remaining mg/g CBD remaining mg/g

6 260 0.05 0.6

7.5 245 0.05 0.6

9.0 75 0.05 0.15

With all HPLC analysis there is an error window associated with the quantification. This window is normally acceptable if it has a coefficient of variation of 15% or less. This is simply a statistical evaluation of the standard deviation or variation around the mean, divided by the mean and a percent value taken.
So with THC there is often an error window of plus or minus 2% around the measurement and for CBD and CBN
this is more like plus or minus 0.05%. To convert the above results to a percent value, simply divide by 10.

So, what do we learn from these results. Nothing about decarboxylation, since it's not presented here,
although much is gained from observing the chromatography (not shown), where a one to one decrease
of the cannabinoid acid and increase in the alcohol is seen. Nevertheless, in the table we are showing only
the de-carboxylated actives that are left behind.

As stated earlier, the cannabis sample used in this experiment tested particularly high in THC,
running at 260, + or - 40 mg/gram. As shown in the table, this did not change for setting 6 on the Volcano
and changed only slightly for setting 7.5. We only see a significant decrease in THC at setting 9.
These results also confirm earlier observations.

The boiling points of the three cannabinoids measured are as follows:

THC 200 C
CBD 190 C
CBN 185 C"

djonkoman

but with those figures, the cbd doesn't even start to go lower before setting 9(while the thc already gets lower with 7,5, just not as fast as at 9)
and then why is the effect of AVB so stoney/couchlock? (brownies from avb where far from enjoyable for me)

djonkoman,
Reactions: ataxian

luchiano

That was because the cbd didn't decarboxylate. Read the rest to see:

"We can see from our before and after sample, that CBN is virtually all gone at setting 6, leaving
only residual amounts. The THC, however, all remains at this setting. As does the CBD.
At setting 7.5 the THC is fully de-carboxylated, but still present to roughly 95% of its original value.
Interestingly, at this setting the CBD is only half de-carboxylated.

At setting 9, all three are fully de-carboxylated and have moved to the vapor state.
A small amount of CBD remains as does some THC.

We can conclude from these very preliminary experiments that with the Volcano at setting
6 all the CBN is gone along with the more volatile terpenes and aromatics. Yet at this
setting, although the THC and CBD are being activated they have still not received enough heat
to enter the vapor state. In addition, at setting 7.5, similar conditions hold, with the THC still
not evaporated. It's only at setting 9 that THC receives sufficient energy to become volatile.

That's it for today. And remember these results are preliminary.
We will continue to conduct more experiments on the Volcano, next
time focusing more on what happens to the CBD and at what setting."

"We did another experiment to six bags and behold, all is gone.
THC acid, converted THC, CBN and CBD, all gone skyward.
This is at Volcano setting 7 and six bags were taken.
So between 2 bags, where virtually all the THC is still present,
and bag six the THC is being boiled off. To 2 bags it's all
terpenes and aromatics.

We ran another experiment with the Volcano. This time we collected 6 bgas at setting 6.
This just doesn't move the THC into the bag, only decarboxylating about 20% but not boiling
any off. Its aroma therapy at setting 6, very little, if any, active THC is delivered.
Of course at this setting you will be blowing off the terepenes and other lower molecular weight
aromatics, that do, indeed, have psychoactive properties. Incidently, these compounds, termed
the essential oils, have been banned, as long as the plant. It's my notion that the euphoric part
of the cannabis experience is a result of the essential oils and not THC."

Also, with ABV, the thc oxidizes to cbn, which is what gives the stone/lethargic affect when taken days after first session because thc is an oil which holds oxygen very well .

luchiano,

Sour Deez

Heres a pretty good article called "Wake Up and Smell the Terpenes!"

To quote a few exerts from it
Terpenoids and cannabinoids are both secreted inside the Cannabis plants glandular trichomes and they have a parent compound in common (geranyl pyrophosphate). More than 100 terpenoids have been identified in Cannabis. The most common and most studied include limonene, myrcene, alpha-pinene, linalool, beta-caryophyllene, caryophyllene oxide, nerolidol and phytol. Anecdotal evidence suggests that alpha-pinene is alerting, limonene is sunshine-y, and beta-myrcene is sedating.
that cannabinoid-terpenoid synergy is involved when Cannabis abates the symptoms of various conditions. He listed pain, inflammation, depression, anxiety, addiction, epilepsy, cancer, fungal and bacterial infections
Limonene (also found in lemon): Potent immunostimulant via inhalation. Anxiolytic. Apoptosis of breast cancer cells. Active agent against acne bacteria. Dermatophytes. Gastro-esophaeal reflux.

Alpha-pinene (found in pine needles): Bronchodilatory in humans. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, aiding memory.

Beta-myrcene (found in hops): Blocks inflammation via PGE-2. Analgesic, antagonized by naloxone. Sedating, muscle relaxant, hypnotic. Blocks hepatic carcinogenesis by aflatoxin.

Linalool (found in lavender): Anti-anxiety. Sedative on inhalation in mice. Local anesthetic. Anagesic via adenosine A2A. Anticonvulsant/anti-glutamate.

Beta-Caryophyllene (found in pepper, Echinacea): Potent anti-leishmanial. Gastric cytoprotective. Anti-malarial. Selective CB2 antagonist. Treatment of pruritis? Treatment of addiction? Decreases platelet aggregation.

Caryophyllene Oxide (found in lemon balm): Anti-fungal. Insecticidal.

Nerolidol (found in orange): Sedative. Skin penetrant. Potent antimalarial. Anti-leishmanial activity. Breakdown product of chlorophyll.

Phytol (found in green tea): Prevents Vitamin-A teratogenesis. Increases GABA.

djonkoman

interesting....
but still I feel like this doesn't explain the different effects in different temps fully, yet
for example in my VG I don't like vaping weed and hash together since to get the hash going I need more heat, but if I vape the weed to hot/dark it gives me too much of a lethargic effect
while most of these aromatics are probably already gone by the first hit(if I take 1 hit from my pd the stemcontent already has that typical abv-smell)
in my pd I only like adding a tiny piece of hash, if I add more the stem lasts much longer and the eventual avb is much darker, and again the effect to lethargic/stoney, but if I just add a tiny piece wich makes the stem last about twice as long or less it's good

and I've read before that these aromatics play a role in the effect because smell is supposed to be the most powerfull method for recalling memories, and trough that way it also gives an effect by recalling memories/experiences
but I disagree with that, smell rarely brings back memories for me, probably also because my sense of smell is often absent, sometimes it's handy because I never smell farts etc, but I also often can't taste weed(except for the times that I can smell like everyone else, but that happens irregular, only pattern I found is that of I sleep on my sde or if I do a lucid dreaming attemps I can almost always smell pretty well the next morning wich fades troughout the day, but the consequence is that my neck hurts so I prefer sleeping on my back)
sound on the other hand can bring back feelings/experiences really well, for example 2 years ago when my harvest was reeady I trimmed it while watching weeds, when I downloaded all weed episodes to watch again a while ago I got the kind if high I had at that time and felt the same etc, especially from that song at the beginning of each episode(well during the first seasons)

so, what exactly is the mechanism by wich the aromatics acquire ther effect, is it needed to smell them?

I have noticed that on those moment I can smell that first tastefull hit can be heavenly and indeed the smell guves kind of a high(I also like smelkling my grinder since that is often strong enough a smell to also smell when I can't taste the vapor)

djonkoman,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think your starting point of product might have some serious bearing of your end result.

Vaping something like White Widow (at any temp) is going to be MUCH more heady and racey than if I vaped some Sinsei Star.

I would focus on WHAT you are vaping as well as working on vape temps. SS is one of the best pain relievers from what I hear.

djonkoman

personally I find ww stoney, not racey at all, and more stoney then heady
but, I'm probably more sensitive to the indica-effects as the sativa-effects, I like sativa's far more for that reason
probably the raceyst Ive had was skunk#1, the high is for a big part a racey bodyhigh, made me jump while walking and couldn't sit still
but there are also sativa's that have am activating energizing mindhigh but are mellow at the same time(but a relaxing sativa-mellow instead of the indica-mellow that quickly turns into tiredness and sleepiness for me)

djonkoman,

nr-cole

This is all throwing me off a bit. I know for a fact that when I vape at 190 I get a light, head-high effect that is very pleasant and fun. I've always been under the impression that this was the effect of the THC. When I vape at higher temps, say 230 -250, I am much more likely to get couch-locked and more often than not, ready for bed. Is this not the effect of the CBD and CBN?

nr-cole,

weedemon

enthusiast
I think it's very difficult for us to be sure we are getting an accurate temperature reading at the point where the vaporization is taking place.

While I am all for knowing the exact temperatures that specific elements in our beloved herb will boil off into a vapor state I think in practice it really is all about the feel of it. I think this because i question the reliability of our current systems to read the temperature of the herb it self while being vaporized. usually it is not measured at the point where the herb is.

certain strains vape well at lower temperatures, others at higher ones. Experimentation is the best way to find out.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
while it may not be possible to measure the temperature of the herb accurately (or easily), it is possible to know that it is not higher than the reading on the thermometer.

weedemon

enthusiast
Hippie Dickie said:
while it may not be possible to measure the temperature of the herb accurately (or easily), it is possible to know that it is not higher than the reading on the thermometer.

i would agree with you there. with ritual use you will learn what number works well for you with that particular strain too.

I would not go around telling people that that is a accurate number though. i would think of it a general guideline not a rule

luchiano

And the finer the grind of the herb the faster it gets to that limit.

I was thinking about this last night and just kept thinking how great vaporization really is compared to other things besides ingestion and even then you have to have a certain diet eaten with the herb to get it's full benefits. If you start low in temperature of around 152f and up the temperature 10 degrees every minute or so until you hit 410f-420f you can enjoy the herb like a joint and enjoy it in 20-30 minutes but it's way better because you get everything in a slow process which gives a powerful high because the way I see it the substances released before the cannabinoids are like a bridge and allow the cannibinoids to do their thing fully inside the body whereas a quicker extraction does it halfway but with a vaporizer and knowing the temperature you're working with, this is still better than smoking due to the pureness of the vapor and very little dilution.

By knowing the temperatures you're needing to work with for certain substances you don't have to play a mind game and can be very accurate for what you want at certain times. For example say I have a few friends over that want to vape with me but they are new to it and I want to show them what they can experience with their herb and it's regular stuff with not a lot of flavor, being that I know thc vaporizes efficiently at 392f I can by pass the slow raise in temperature and go straight to 392f-396f and let them get a blast of the thc rush. When they get some aromatic, flavorful stuff I can start low and let them experience the flavors of their herb fully at each level that the different essential oils are boiled at THEN let them experience the high.

Another example. Say we want to get a nice little caffeine buzz to stay up before going out to party but still want the herb high, I can vape the herb at low temps first then once we get to 374f pop a little of black tea inside the bowl to vape the caffeine to get an up affect then go straight to 392f to get the thc released and because I know exactly where it is released I can go to that temperature and let it slowly be released so everyone can get some thc instead of going higher and releasing it too fast and the thc isn't evenly distributed. All I have to do is calculate how much each person needs, and with a vaporizer it isn't that much, see if the essential oils are high or low in the herb from the smell so I can know how low to start, then do a fine grind and vape away.

Vaporizers with good temperature displays and knowing boiling point of substances are a wonderful thing. It's so simple and humble yet so powerful.

crawdad

floatin
djonkoman said:
personally I find ww stoney, not racey at all, and more stoney then heady
but, I'm probably more sensitive to the indica-effects as the sativa-effects, I like sativa's far more for that reason
probably the raceyst Ive had was skunk#1, the high is for a big part a racey bodyhigh, made me jump while walking and couldn't sit still
but there are also sativa's that have am activating energizing mindhigh but are mellow at the same time(but a relaxing sativa-mellow instead of the indica-mellow that quickly turns into tiredness and sleepiness for me)

dude, get out of my head. :lol: every part of that (including strains), same here.

the fact that some can consider a "stoney" strain to be "heady" or vice-a-versa tells me we all react to things differently, all the numbers and findings are great but lets not forget each individual is unique and will have a slightly (or in some cases considerably) different reaction.

its about the journey, so just experiment is my advise.

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
So many variables. Different temps, different grinds, different packing, different strains, and different phenotypes of those different strains. Different strokes for different folks! What ever happened to gettin high?

hans solo

Left coast Canada
Its kinda like gettin high 2.0. The variety of tastes and effects that different strains and changes in the processes make for a more interesting and enjoyable experience

Last edited:

Alexis

Well the simplest approach would surely be to source some good quality CBD flower? You could also seek over-flowered herb, which will have a much higher % of CBN vs THC than buds harvested at the right time for that smooth, energetic, uplifting and euphoric high most of us are seeking and enjoy.

I have over flowered plants way too many times and ruined the effect for me with too much cbn for my own liking which I do not enjoy the effects of at all and find it very lethargic and groggy and debilitating.

Personally I would never seek it and I think it is a mistake also to be bracketing CBN and CBD together as if they are a similar thing when they are completely different cannabinoids one is very medicinal and desirable without really any adverse effects while the other to those who are really in the know is totally undesirable with some rather negative and unpleasant effects.

Seek CBD for sure. Use that for deeper sleep. Yes CNB is still alledged to have some health benefits, notably sleep inducing. But in a downer fashion IME, with a groggy hangover and muscular heaviness.

CBD has been shown to be an amazing boon for aiding deep and restorative/healing sleep. Without any negative side effects. I do think it is a little misguided, confused when people say they want more CBN vs THC.

Much better to use low THC, high CBD flower than old bud where THC has degraded (as in- to something inferior, less valuable), or even worse- overflowered buds which just make you feel lethargic, lazy, heavy, disinterested, unmotivated (and personally quite depressed in contrast to the uplifting happy euphoria of fresh bud and higher THC).

If you grow- grow CBD varieties. If you buy- buy CBD strains. And any which way, you can always just supplement with CBD to counter the effects of THC.

Just my own limited take on this. Im not saying at all that this is correct, just how I have personally come to view and understand it, based on my own preferences and experience.

Vaporware

So why so tense?

I’m not really tense man... @Fightingteam has a similar opinion on it to mine, but I ended with the ROTFL image to let you know I wasn’t taking it too seriously.

@Alexis did end up spending some time responding to people who probably either aren’t around anymore or don’t have the same questions they had that long ago. That’s one of the problems with resurrecting old threads.

If there’s a good reason I might still do it, but I’m reluctant to do it and I hope you’ll try to post more in new threads instead. If you don’t like my suggestion that’s fine...post where you want as long as the mods don’t mind, just please remember that other people may not realize that these threads are old. :) :peace:

Alexis

If there’s a good reason I might still do it, but I’m reluctant to do it and I hope you’ll try to post more in new threads instead. If you don’t like my suggestion that’s fine...post where you want as long as the mods don’t mind, just please remember that other people may not realize that these threads are old. :) :peace:

Lol, I didn't twig right away how ancient this thread wss on account of some phenomenal titedness. However, I didn't ferel that the response was totally unworth it, or not relevant. Im sure that a lot of insight and clarity has been realised on this matter since 2011.

And hey, no rule against rekindling an old flame as far as I'm aware. Very true though how the original, rather misguided and misinformed poster is nowhere to be found. So the actual topic here is appropriate and relevant enough for discussion now IMO, with the more recent discoveries and revelations of CBD's actions and effectiveness.

I do still see people who peculiarly, (and quite delusionally, IMO) think CBN is where it is at for them? :hmm: Either they are into something very different to myself or are just very confused about it. I mean, fuck CBN right?

Maybe a new thread with a poll to see how we all feel, or think ww feel, about what we think we understand about CBN in relation to our actual experience and perception of it's effects?

I personally have a very clearly formed perception of CBN's effects, probably more than most and can make a very fitting and accurate contast to THC. It would surprise me if many people who have similar experience, would actually still think CBN is a rad thing to be desired.

But then there are sone strange folks in this world.:rolleyes: :lol:

On a separate note- I have my freshly repaired Digital Herborizer en route to me from France right now, at last after 6 months of illness preventing me from actually sending it back. Any day this week. :rockon:

And I actually did my first non-vapor day for at least that long yesterday, middle of night now after an early bed. Back to sleepy land once more. :zzz:

Top Bottom