1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Denied SSDI for the 4th time.

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by BigDaddyVapor, Nov 14, 2012.

1. momofthegoons

momofthegoons vapor accessory addict

The important thing is that you finally found an attorney that seems to be on the right track.

When is your next hearing; or don't you know?

mvapes likes this.
  2. BigDaddyVapor

BigDaddyVapor @BigDogJunction

I won't know @#$%, until the Fall. So they'll owe me almost 4 years at that point.

JCat likes this.
  3. chromehorse

chromehorse New Member

If I recall properly, one of my relatives who truly was disabled applied twice and appealed once before he got his SSD.

Which is also good. I do remember he received a large retroactive check from the time period that he began the application.

4. Vicki

Vicki Herbal Alchemist

Yes, and I also received a big retroactive check as well.

5. Dreamerr

Dreamerr Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀

I am glad I didn't get a big retro check since I got approved right away. I am glad cause I couldn't handle what you all went through.

BigDaddyVapor and Vicki like this.
  6. Fishkybizniz

Fishkybizniz New Member

I heard some cases need an attorney. If your in CA, I know a trial lawyer (civil & federal courts) that could probably refer you. He's amazing. I had an issue with an employer and he did such a wonderful job, I tipped him at the end of it all. Also, he's building a new website for those who work needing MMJ. Employers and employees have no clue what their rights are. Here's the link to the site. http://emmacal.org/

7. Fishkybizniz

Fishkybizniz New Member

It's sad that we have to hire lawyers to get access to our own $$$. :\

CentiZen and BigDaddyVapor like this.
  8. jwongy

jwongy New Member

It is 11/10/17. What is your status now with ssdi?

I had an aortic dissection type B. Used strong blood pressure meds. Can anybody help with this?

I too thought an aortic dissection qualifies under 4.10. whether you recover or not shouldn't be an issue.

I thought once you are diagnosed with the aortic aneurysm you are 100% qualified for disability.

Does anybody know?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2017
  9. little maggie

little maggie Well-Known Member

In Oregon and Washington decisions are made in a peculiar way. I've known a few people who get theirs right away and I was surprised because they didn't' have problems as serious as those who got refused. But most people I've known (quite a few because of the work I did) have had to hire a lawyer even though they are seriously impaired. It seems like those who just kept hanging in through all the hoops and had a good lawyer eventually got disability. Some had to change lawyers to find someone motivated to help.
    Your situation actually seems positive now. It's too bad you had to go through bureaucratic hell while dealing with such health issues.

10. jwongy

jwongy New Member

does having an Type B aortic dissection qualify for ssdi?

11. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I don't have any special expertise, but, if you have an aortic dissection that is proven by imaging, you CAN (not MUST) get benefits. While the criteria are a bit more vague than other diagnosises, I believe the dissection must be "uncontrolled" to warrant benefits.

12. jwongy

jwongy New Member

Right so you 1) have to have the dissection 2) it has to be getting worse (expanding).

I just went to the cardio vascular. He told me he needs to put in a stent. That tells me it is getting worse enough to warrant surgery.

13. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

Again, I have no special expertise here, but the core criteria has to do with disability. A mental or physical issue that "substantially limits one or more major life activities". The limitation cannot be "transitory" (with many exceptions).

There is no real penalty to being denied, so you might as well apply. Let the hearing officer decide if you meet the criteria. I'd use an attorney because the criteria are not as precise on this issue as they are on many others. An attorney can try to mitigate the claim the issue is not "uncontrolled" and/or "transitory" when you still have valid treatment options.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors