Davinci by Karma

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Nice review, vorrange! Glad to hear that you seem to be happy with your purchase. The durability of the hinge could become a problem for some it sounds like, time will tell. I hope DaVinci incorporates some of this user feedback to make V2 even better!

Peloton,
Reactions: vorrange

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
Hello everyone!

Taste:

I usually vape at 373F (still havent figured if it is possible to change it to celsius), and when it starts losing taste (after 3-4 pulls), i increase between 380 to 400 to finish it. This usually takes me one 10minute cycle, sometimes i heat it again because i wander off in my mind and it already shutted off. :D

Cleaning:

The DaVinci comes with a mini brush and a small compartiment to stash grinded material, the small compartiment is indeed small so you can bring only one more load and i am guessing that some of it will be less potent because it is too close to the main air path, meaning it will get hot!
Hi Vorrange, if you hold down the +&- buttons at the same time it changes to Celsius, but reverts back next time you turn it on.
I've filled the storage chamber and left herb in there for a few days and forgot i had it in there lol I didn't notice it being less potent when i used it. I can pack enough in there for 2 more loads.

VaporsVaporizer,
Reactions: vorrange

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Hi Vorrange, if you hold down the +&- buttons at the same time it changes to Celsius, but reverts back next time you turn it on.
I've filled the storage chamber and left herb in there for a few days and forgot i had it in there lol I didn't notice it being less potent when i used it. I can pack enough in there for 2 more loads.

Thanks VaporsVaporizer, the celsius thing i found out soon after posting my review in a post by Slighty Medicated but i appreciate your answer as well.

And that is good news on the storage chamber, i made a guess about the amount it holds. Do you use it often or you keep your grinder near?

How long did it took for the new flavour to wear off? Cause for me it seems to be going really fast.

vorrange,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Question about the storage area... is it possible to open the door on it and use the brush to guide it into the vaporizing chamber to load a fresh bowl? Or do you have to work with it a little more?

Peloton,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Question about the storage area... is it possible to open the door on it and use the brush to guide it into the vaporizing chamber to load a fresh bowl? Or do you have to work with it a little more?

No, the storage area is on the left of the bowl if you look to the front face of the DV so it is very easy to open it and tip the herb inside the chamber.

vorrange,
Reactions: Peloton

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
@ Vorrange, I don't use the storage chamber often because i'm mostly using this vape at home and i keep forgetting i have herb in there. I have several different strains i'm vaping right now and always have some already ground up ;). The new flavor lasts for about the first 3 good draws, but the vapor after those hits is just as good just not as flavorful.
@Peloton, it depends on how tight you pack it. i can really stuff a lot in there, enough for 2 really full bowls or three regular fills. If it's not packed that tight, light tapping on the side gently fills the chamber , if packed tighter the end of the brush is a good way to gently guide it out. I've never lost any getting it from the storage compartment to the bowl.

VaporsVaporizer,
Reactions: Peloton

max

Out to lunch
vorrange said:
Overall, it looks sturdy although quite light.
You think it's light? :shrug: I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. It's the same size as the iolite, but the iolite weighs a lot less.

i am guessing that some of it will be less potent because it is too close to the main air path, meaning it will get hot!
I don't see any way that a significant amount of heat gets into the storage chamber. I don't use the chamber myself, but wouldn't hesitate to do so if I felt the need.
it seems there is a bit of an oven effect and some conduction going on in the chamber.
As there is with the iolite and any small portable where the herb sits in an enclosed heating chamber. There's really no way around it. And due to the heat retention, you always have to remember that after turning the unit off (assuming the bowl isn't cached), there are 2-3 hits still available.

The upper smaller chamber is easy to clean as well as the screens and the straw, just take them out and boil them.
Personally, I find just cleaning with ISO, then running hot water over/through, to be preferable to boiling, which seems to leave residue on parts when I've done it.
There has to be a design change for the latch to allow a better chamber acess and another design change to allow for a better cleaning of the main chamber
I've found that a cotton swab with ISO does a fine cleaning job for both top and bottom. Removing the straw provides a bit more access to the herb chamber, and I've had no problem cleaning it. So I'd disagree that there HAS to be a design change for that.

i would also change the plastic of the latch for something less breakable
Has one been reported broken? I don't know how it'll stand up to years of opening/closing, but it looks like a good design to me.

It looks like I've done a lot of disagreeing on your review :lol:, but in fact I think it's a good one. I do think that ideally, there could be some improvements, but taking into consideration ergonomics and the overall size of the unit, plus the prospect of improvements resulting in a more expensive vape, it may be that introducing another separate model (as O&B did with the WISPR) would be a better idea. Time will tell, but as of now, I'm satisfied with the vape as it is. I do wish the top was designed so that the swing up top section could swing even more, for better access to the heating chamber. I would gladly give up the storage area for an indented top and clear access to the chamber for easier cleaning.

max,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
You think it's light? :shrug: I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. It's the same size as the iolite, but the iolite weighs a lot less.

I don't have a Iolite so you are problably right, and the ones i own are lighter in my hand (the mflb+4batteries isn't). I was implying that it isn't cumbersome to carry it around, it is a confortable weight to have in your pocket.

I don't see any way that a significant amount of heat gets into the storage chamber. I don't use the chamber myself, but wouldn't hesitate to do so if I felt the need.
As there is with the iolite and any small portable where the herb sits in an enclosed heating chamber. There's really no way around it. And due to the heat retention, you always have to remember that after turning the unit off (assuming the bowl isn't cached), there are 2-3 hits still available.

I am aware this is common with a small portable, ;)

Personally, I find just cleaning with ISO, then running hot water over/through, to be preferable to boiling, which seems to leave residue on parts when I've done it.
I've found that a cotton swab with ISO does a fine cleaning job for both top and bottom. Removing the straw provides a bit more access to the herb chamber, and I've had no problem cleaning it. So I'd disagree that there HAS to be a design change for that.

My concern is not the heating chamber itself, or the screen. MY concern is the bits that fall through the screen inside the electric parts and the battery and how you clean them after you have used this device for a year or two. And i still maintain that the easier access to the heating chamber would allow better process all around, from dropping the herb inside to cleaning it.

Has one been reported broken? I don't know how it'll stand up to years of opening/closing, but it looks like a good design to me.

I know it may be an over reaction on my part and the mecanism never breaks.. but usually that is not the case, at least with me.

It looks like I've done a lot of disagreeing on your review :lol:, but in fact I think it's a good one. I do think that ideally, there could be some improvements, but taking into consideration ergonomics and the overall size of the unit, plus the prospect of improvements resulting in a more expensive vape, it may be that introducing another separate model (as O&B did with the WISPR) would be a better idea. Time will tell, but as of now, I'm satisfied with the vape as it is. I do wish the top was designed so that the swing up top section could swing even more, for better access to the heating chamber. I would gladly give up the storage area for an indented top and clear access to the chamber for easier cleaning.

I am fine with the disagreeing, it is part of what makes a forum work. ;)

I like your suggestion for the heating chamber, i don't mind losing the storage but i found very much enjoyable that it has an incorporated mini brush. haha! :)

Perhaps a different model can be made available but i think that this one still needs a few minor improvements that would bring another quality to the users experience of the DaVinci.

And again, i'm loving the DV. In fact, i am partaking as we speak! :ko:

vorrange,

max

Out to lunch
it is a confortable weight to have in your pocket.
I wouldn't object to it being lighter, but the weight gives me a feeling of quality.

MY concern is the bits that fall through the screen inside the electric parts and the battery and how you clean them after you have used this device for a year or two.
This would have to be confirmed, but I doubt any crumbs getting through the bottom screen (I've added a 2nd screen here) would get in contact with any of the electronics. I used several Purple Days vapes for over three years, with no screen to prevent herb falling down into the vape (granted the design is different)-it's something the designer has to recognize is going to happen, and make the necessary safeguards for.

i found very much enjoyable that it has an incorporated mini brush.
IMO the brush is almost essential for the upper screen in the heating chamber. Every time you open it there are particles clinging to the screen that need to be brushed off. I could do without it for the inner area around the top of the chamber, where crumbs may collect, but you really need it for the screen. IMO they should include an extra brush with the vape.

this one still needs a few minor improvements that would bring another quality to the users experience of the DaVinci.
It would be nice, but unless the top hinged part can be made removeable, with a pull out pin in the hinge, any other changes to the housing would probably require a housing redesign-expensive. When O&B tweaked the iolite, all the changes they made were to the bowl and mouthpiece sections. They balked at any other changes, since a redesign of the housing would have been needed. Companies have to look at the pluses and minuses involved with this kind of an expense.

i am partaking as we speak!
I wish I was. Fuckin' Monday. A couple more hours and I'll be joining you. I like using this model and it's increased my portable use and enjoyment.

max,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I wouldn't object to it being lighter, but the weight gives me a feeling of quality.

This would have to be confirmed, but I doubt any crumbs getting through the bottom screen (I've added a 2nd screen here) would get in contact with any of the electronics. I used several Purple Days vapes for over three years, with no screen to prevent herb falling down into the vape (granted the design is different)-it's something the designer has to recognize is going to happen, and make the necessary safeguards for.

Perhaps i should do the same, did you use one of the screens that came with the DV?

IMO the brush is almost essential for the upper screen in the heating chamber. Every time you open it there are particles clinging to the screen that need to be brushed off. I could do without it for the inner area around the top of the chamber, where crumbs may collect, but you really need it for the screen. IMO they should include an extra brush with the vape.

It would be nice, but unless the top hinged part can be made removeable, with a pull out pin in the hinge, any other changes to the housing would probably require a housing redesign-expensive. When O&B tweaked the iolite, all the changes they made were to the bowl and mouthpiece sections. They balked at any other changes, since a redesign of the housing would have been needed. Companies have to look at the pluses and minuses involved with this kind of an expense.

Let's wait on the DaVinci guys for the V2, iirc there was something mentioned about a redesign of the latch a while back.
I would keep the brush and i would add a second one too in case this one gets lost. I am sure that it won't make that much difference in final costs.

I wish I was. Fuckin' Monday. A couple more hours and I'll be joining you. I like using this model and it's increased my portable use and enjoyment.

Hang in there! :D

vorrange,

Drastic

Vape4Life
Question,how long did it take for the burn off of junk on the heater/whatever after the initial burn in with visible vapor and very strong rubbery/electronic smell(stunk the room up)? I'm about 5 6 loads in and after cleaning and running now for about the 10th cycle of 10 minutes empty, I can see/smell some rubbery vapor if I put an led flashlight against a black background. Its flowing out at a pretty constant rate from the 2 small air holes near the top of the chamber on the sides and around the rim of the chamber it seams, not inside the chamber. I used the unit with very course ground material and held it upside down to avoid getting avb dust inside the heating element so i don't think its that. Can anyone replicate this, preferably with a new, clean unit? I have stopped use until I can no longer see the vapor or taste/smell the warming rubbery/electronic smell.

I really hope this goes away, I loved using the device! It was so convenient and completely incognito!

To manufacturer: are there any known/or currently debated health risks of any materials/components used it the unit, in the air path, or anything that might get to 200F while the unit is at full temp for the 10 minute cycle? Longer?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Drastic,

sektr

Couple questions guys!

1. How does this perform in comparison to desktop vapes like the DBV and SSV?
2. What is the warm up time?

sektr,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Mine heats up in about 90 seconds.

Thanks for the cleaning tips. I was just wondering how long this device will stay spotless with regular cleaning. I assume the very bottom screen is permanent. Currently I am using a q-tip with some ISO to clean the herb chamber every 2-3 loads. I also clean the upper section and give everything a good cleaning as well. So far I have been able to get t back to a nearly original state. I do wonder what months of extend use and cleaning will produce in terms of build up. I think if I am proactive about cleaning. This device will stay clean enough that the performance is never affected.

Slightly Medicated,

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
@ Drastic, i didn't have that smell when i started using my unit.
@sektr, i don't have a desktop like that, i have a Volcano. It's like comparing apples to oranges but i haven't used any of my other portables since i got the DaVinci;) The heat up time is under 2 minutes.

VaporsVaporizer,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Couple questions guys!

1. How does this perform in comparison to desktop vapes like the DBV and SSV?
2. What is the warm up time?

I don't find the comparison very fair since it is like comparing a 125cc to a 500cc bike.. different purposes..

The DBV maintains the flavour longer (i must add that my DV is still not completely stable, taste wise) and gets you higher or at least faster, although it is likely that the "higher/faster" comes from more herb in bowl. The glass air path is just superior to the DV air path when it comes to taste and vapor cleanliness IMO.

The DV is easier to achieve an even extraction without stirring needed. The DV has hotter vapor on the lips because of the shorter air path.

I think these are the main differences in performance that can be compared.

I still keep both since they each have it's role in my current line up.

vorrange,

max

Out to lunch
Are you talking about the screen in the bottom of the heat chamber? It looks spot welded on.
The screen, according to DaVinci, is removable, and IMO the best tool for getting it out would be a dentist's pick-the one with the hook at the end.
http://www.pjtool.com/4pcdentalpickset.aspx?gclid=CM7XxNHNt7ACFQUEnQodmW6f8w

sektr said:
How does this perform in comparison to desktop vapes like the DBV and SSV?
As vorrange stated, this comparison serves no purpose. The DV is a pocket vape, and although I think it hits very well indeed for its size, the bowl is small and the vapor path short. There's no way you should compare it to a full sized, home whip vape in performance. It shouldn't even be compared to a portable like the Solo, which is more of a home vape with no power cord. The DV should be compared to other stealth portables that you can stick in your pocket and toss on a car seat, without worrying about it breaking or popping open on you. And in that arena of comparison, IMO it comes out on top in many respects-enough to easily make it my favorite portable.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Did not know about the removable bottom screen, nice! :)

Has anyone had trouble with the charging? My DV was charging all night and today was not completely charged and after 1 bowl the battery meter was between 1-2 dots.

vorrange,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I wonder how much air actually passes over the wires. With the hole on both sides I assume that the majority of the air will be drawn from the unobstructed hole. I would assume with the wires filling the other hole the air will choose the path of least resistance. Personally, I have never experience the "rubbery vapor" that others have discussed.

I was going to add. It looks like the wire is coated in silicone or something. I imagine it is some sort of heat resistant coating.

Maybe the manufacture can shed some light on our questions/observations.

Slightly Medicated,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
it looks to me like they are in some sort of heat protective sheathing, similar to what they've done in the arizer solo. it certainly doesn't look like normal wiring that's for sure.

CentiZen,

HoneyAir

Even if there is sheathing, the heat in this entire zone could make the plastic insulation inside that sheathing deteriorate and leak a noxious smell.

I've had that same problem with my vaporizer [not DaVinci]-- I was trying to insulate an area to prevent short circuiting if it rattled around but the heat was just too much for it and produced a smell that would not go away, so I had to remove all plastic insulation and stick to the all-metal connection.

Have you been able to conclusively smell that it is coming from those wires and not some other part of the vaporizer?

HoneyAir,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
When mine first arrive there was a slight smell. I thought it was coming from the draw stem. I took the stem off the vaporizer and inhaled and still experienced the odor. I washed the stem in some warm water for 10 minutes. After that I never experienced the odor again. Now I would say the taste is comparable to the Solo, maybe even a little better. My solo had that robot fart smell for a few weeks when I first go it. That also subsided after a few weeks of use.

Slightly Medicated,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
My smell still hasn't subsided and when i first opened it, it was quite noticeable. Right now i can't smell anything when i draw on the straw without connecting it to the DV, but if i draw with it conected i still get a hint of rubber. But it is only noticeable in the last hits so it is perfectly fine. :)

Thanks for the schematics Venti, very much enlightening! :D Did you got a chance to see where the wires conected inside the tube, and how?

My DV is finally charged, the icon battery stoped the sequential animation and just shows a full-battery icon. It took almost 6 hours so it is still weird. :hmm:

vorrange,

Drastic

Vape4Life
The rubbery smell can be easily masked by debris from plant matter. I didn't notice it was still there after I burned off all the visible vapor that came out when I first turned it on out of the box. I ran about 5 loads and after a good cleaning I noticed the very specific rubbery smell back, same as when new. This vapor is not visible in the sun or with regular light. I used an led flashlight in a dark room, angled the light so it caught the vapor only, with the unit at 37F. I notice the vapor coming out of the vent holes in the top of the metal chamber and around the rim of the chamber. I have now run it empty about 20-25 times at 430F for the 10 minute cycles and the vapor/smell shows no sign of decreasing.

I was also pretty sure the rubbery vapor is coming from the golden film I could see through the two vent holes at the top of the chamber. I thought it might be high temp Polyimide tape, http://www.shop3m.com/70016039219.h...id=shop3m-AtoZ-Polyimide-Film-Electrical-Tape, (looks very much like it may be) but I hope not because this stuff may be toxic.

Venti, have you tried to remove the tape? I assume its providing electrical insulation as well has holding the heating wires close to the inner chamber so it might not be possible.

I would advise not using the device until we establish exactly what materials are used and a solution can be found to the off-gassing issue.

I so wanted this vaporizer to work out, I'm just hoping the manufacturer will address these issues and support its customers.

Drastic,

Drastic

Vape4Life
But it is only noticeable in the last hits so it is perfectly fine.:)

Taste is the least of the appropriate concerns here, we have the possibility of toxic off-gassing. These effects are unmeasured and could cause much greater heath effects then say...combustion.

Going back to the glass and hemp wick for now:(

Drastic,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Thank you for the pictures, I've been studying the design but did not dare open it up, (I have the warranty). I was right in assuming it was very much like the Vapir NO2, chamber looks identical, (there's a disassembled one the NO2 thread). The davinci is a conduction vape, as I suspected when my infrared thermometer read the walls a lot hotter the the base.

The rubbery smell can be easily masked by debris from plant matter. I didn't notice it was still there after I burned off all the visible vapor that came out when I first turned it on out of the box. I ran about 5 loads and after a good cleaning I noticed the very specific rubbery smell back, same as when new. This vapor is not visible in the sun or with regular light. I used an led flashlight in a dark room, angled the light so it caught the vapor only, with the unit at 37F. I notice the vapor coming out of the vent holes in the top of the metal chamber and around the rim of the chamber. I have now run it empty about 20-25 times at 430F for the 10 minute cycles and the vapor/smell shows no sign of decreasing.

I was also pretty sure the rubbery vapor is coming from the golden film I could see through the two vent holes at the top of the chamber. I thought it might be high temp Polyimide tape, http://www.shop3m.com/70016039219.h...id=shop3m-AtoZ-Polyimide-Film-Electrical-Tape, (looks very much like it may be) but I hope not because this stuff may be toxic.

Venti, have you tried to remove the tape? I assume its providing electrical insulation as well has holding the heating wires close to the inner chamber so it might not be possible.

I would advise not using the device until we establish exactly what materials are used and a solution can be found to the off-gassing issue.

I so wanted this vaporizer to work out, I'm just hoping the manufacturer will address these issues and support its customers.

First of all, i don't think the DaVinci is a conduction vaporizer. From Venti schematic it seems the air goes through the holes in the outside tube surrounding the heating chamber, into the bowl through the bottom of the heating chamber, so i think we have convection right there.

I believe there might be a little conduction from the heat that is produced, but far from what is considered a conduction vaporizer.

That vapor you see could just be hot air with no foul compounds that may harm you.. I think in the beginning and while you feel the taste or sense the smell of the rubber there is still of gassing occurring but as i have said before, i dont think this will be for much longer and the wires seem protected from the heat through that second transparent tube around each of the wires and most likely that material is well above the dangerous zone regarding the temperatures it should support without suferring heat damage.
Of course i think it is always good to know exactly what the materials are and if there is any dangerous of gassing but lets not get all worked up without knowing anyhting for a fact. :2c:

vorrange,
Top Bottom