Davinci by Karma

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just gone my DV today and I have a question...

My unit has a very strong "new vape" smell. It smells exactly like the sole of a brand new sneaker. You know that smell you get when walking down the sneaker aisle at the shoe store. It's very distinct to me.

Anyway, I let it run 3 full cycles empty and gave it a rubdown with alcohol wipes. I could still smell it, but I decided to try a bowl anyway. During the bowl (vapes great, btw... I'd say almost as good as my Solo and better than the T1) I could definitely taste the smell still.

I'm thinking that the smell came from the foam packing in the box. The foam insert fucking reeks of that exact smell, so I'm hoping that it'll wear off of the DV over time? :shrug:

I was expecting very little smell based on Max & JRR's comments, so I was a little suprised that it was even a noticable issue. Maybe they got their units with a different foam insert in the box? Max? JRR? Can you tell me about the packaging?

Other than that, the thing works as advertised. Feels solid and looks very sharp. I got about 12 really good pulls off of .12 and the ABV came out pretty even and the color that I like.

:peace:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Wrong. The air path does draw from underneath the heater, regardless of what anyone else (including Arizer) has said. Most of the smell users have reported comes from excessive soldiering flux on a small circuit board directly underneath the heater. I know this because my second Solo had this smell. I cleaned the flux with alcohol and q-tips and the smell was gone.

Sorry about going off topic.

I think that it might be possible to smell this while still keeping the airpath seperate. What I mean is, just because you can smell something in the bottom half doesn't mean it is seeping into the airpath located in the upper portion of the unit.

stickstones,

sektr

How is this for group use?

I ask because right now I have only an MFLB and it's a pain in the ass for group sessions because of how much technique is involved in hitting it properly. Somebody ALWAYS ends up combusting enough of the weed that it reaks, ruins the flavor and isn't even worth adding to my ABV jar.

Is this the kind of thing I can just pass and say "Suck." and it'll work perfectly for them? Or will I have to teach them about draw speeds?

sektr,

zomger

I ask because right now I have only an MFLB and it's a pain in the ass for group sessions because of how much technique is involved in hitting it properly. Somebody ALWAYS ends up combusting enough of the weed that it reaks, ruins the flavor and isn't even worth adding to my ABV jar.

Is this the kind of thing I can just pass and say "Suck." and it'll work perfectly for them? Or will I have to teach them about draw speeds?
Very simple to use. I find slow, long draws to be ideal, but it's really impossible to do it wrong. It also uses convection so you don't need to wait between hits. I'd say the only problem with it in group use is it does have a pretty small bowl, you you might need to load a second for any more than 2-3 people.

zomger,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It's pretty clear that this guy works for VapeWorld, but it is a decent review in some respects.

I apologize if this has been previously posted.

Stu,
It's pretty clear that this guy works for VapeWorld, but it is a decent review in some respects.

I apologize if this has been previously posted.

Whys this guy wearing sunglasses indoors... Those aren't hiding him from anyone.

Edit: He sounds like Dj Pauly D when you can't see him.

Futuretvowner,

Tim

When hitting the DV, I can definitely taste more than just herb. However, it's quite subtle for me. The taste isn't as "pure" as my EQ, but it's MUCH less "plasticky" than an NO2 (I'm sure some of us still remember that fiasco).

Short answer, yes.
Long answer, "Draw deeply and slowly." :tup:

Tim,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I just gone my DV today and I have a question...

My unit has a very strong "new vape" smell. It smells exactly like the sole of a brand new sneaker. You know that smell you get when walking down the sneaker aisle at the shoe store. It's very distinct to me.

Anyway, I let it run 3 full cycles empty and gave it a rubdown with alcohol wipes. I could still smell it, but I decided to try a bowl anyway. During the bowl (vapes great, btw... I'd say almost as good as my Solo and better than the T1) I could definitely taste the smell still.

I'm thinking that the smell came from the foam packing in the box. The foam insert fucking reeks of that exact smell, so I'm hoping that it'll wear off of the DV over time? :shrug:

I was expecting very little smell based on Max & JRR's comments, so I was a little suprised that it was even a noticable issue. Maybe they got their units with a different foam insert in the box? Max? JRR? Can you tell me about the packaging?

Other than that, the thing works as advertised. Feels solid and looks very sharp. I got about 12 really good pulls off of .12 and the ABV came out pretty even and the color that I like.

Stu, you pretty much summed up how i felt about it. I think part of the problem is the foam in the box as well but the smell will subside faster in the next days, i still think i can smell it a tiny bit but my GF says i'm just imagining it now. :)

vorrange,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Stu, you pretty much summed up how i felt about it. I think part of the problem is the foam in the box as well but the smell will subside faster in the next days, i still think i can smell it a tiny bit but my GF says i'm just imagining it now. :)
Thanks, Vorrange. I'll give it some time to hopefully wear off. I could see this becoming my main portable if it stopped smelling like Addidas.

Stu,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
From what i gather, it won't be as tasty as the TV but i prefer it to the LB since it maintains the flavour for longer and with no hassle at all, although i think the LB has more of those early fresh hits before the flavour becomes more caramel-like.

vorrange,

Pcpvapors

I picked up my da Vinci from a LHS today, I didn't get a recipt or anything does this affect warranty status?

Pcpvapors,

zomger

I picked up my da Vinci from a LHS today, I didn't get a recipt or anything does this affect warranty status?
I wouldn't think so, Pcpvapors. The DV rep on here has just said don't buy from e-bay/amazon.. And I really wish I'd read that before I ordered mine :\ Hopefully, I'll be lucky and won't have to worry about that. The warranties work off your DV's serial number, as long as you have that you should be good!

zomger,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Just smelled the hell out of my davinci, and lucky for me I am not smelling anything but ABV smell. I did open the davinci's box and WOW new car/rubber odor! It is coming from the thin rubber panel on the back of the foam cutout that holds the davinci. It has a very strong odor.
I'm glad it's not just me!

It's day #2 with my unit and the rubber smell has decreased quite a bit. My buddy didn't even notice it when trying it out today. I have a feeling that it will continue to diminish until it is no longer noticable.

Yeah, that foam insert must've imparted the smell onto the DV. I think they should re-think their packaging materials, or at least wrap the DV in plastic before putting it into the foam insert.

:2c:

Stu,

Pcpvapors

First impression plain and simple is that it's a much more portable solo, the hits are on par the only thing that's not quite there is taste but a flexistraw won't shatter and slice the hell out of you should a frisbee hit it (bad experience lol). I can't say anything about battery life or long term durability but it feels quite solid especially when compared to the Iolite. I'm happy with it this far.

Pcpvapors,

zomger

Just smelled the hell out of my davinci, and lucky for me I am not smelling anything but ABV smell. I did open the davinci's box and WOW new car/rubber odor! It is coming from the thin rubber panel on the back of the foam cutout that holds the davinci. It has a very strong odor.
You guys certain the taste is coming from the Da Vinci, and not the silicone straw? That was the only thing that really reeked about my DV when I got it. I washed that thing in ISO before use. The DV itself smelled 'new' on the outside, but not very strongly. The chamber itself, to me, seemed odorless.
First impression plain and simple is that it's a much more portable solo, the hits are on par the only thing that's not quite there is taste but a flexistraw won't shatter and slice the hell out of you should a frisbee hit it (bad experience lol). I can't say anything about battery life or long term durability but it feels quite solid especially when compared to the Iolite. I'm happy with it this far.
Glad you're happy with your purchase! I am totally on board with you. This has been the wisest investment I've made as far as 420 accessories go(although, I don't have a desktop vape.)

zomger,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The smell on my unit came from the rubbery coating and the rubber tip of the straw. There's no way to tell if the chamber smells (I don't think it does) because you can't sniff it without smelling the cover as well.

I'm pretty sure the culprit is the foam packing material that still fucking reeks.

Stu,

zomger

The smell on my unit came from the rubbery coating and the rubber tip of the straw. There's no way to tell if the chamber smells (I don't think it does) because you can't sniff it without smelling the cover as well.

I'm pretty sure the culprit is the foam packing material that still fucking reeks.

Sure there is, just use a straw. In a much earlier post I explained I was slightly concerned about this whole mess when I got mine, so I went the extra mile when checking mine out. Those concerns have long since passed.

zomger,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Like I said, I don't think the chamber stinks like rubber because the smell was coming from the rubbery coating. I have no reason to think that any smell was coming from the chamber... after all, it's metal and the smell I had (still have, but to a lesser extent) was rubbery like the coating. It's pretty obvious when you are smelling it where it's coming from.

Stu,

Pcpvapors

My unit doesn't smell but that may be because my LHS had it outside of the box and so it smells like every other HS some really fragrant incense stick lol.

Pcpvapors,
Reactions: Stu

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
My unit doesn't smell but that may be because my LHS had it outside of the box and so it smells like every other HS some really fragrant incense stick lol.
Makes sense...

tumblr_lkzun7nzm91qda8iw.gif

xivyx420

I had that rubbery smell when I first got mine as well, but after using it a couple times the "new car smell" wore off pretty quick and I have no weird odor or flavor to it any more.

xivyx420,

Sammy

How are you guys cleaning this? I am having a hard time getting a draw. Not sure what to think of this unit yet. Battery seems to die very quickly. No clouds of vapor, no matter what I do. Although I am enjoying the buzz enough. Maybe just some practice but I dunno.......

Sammy,

Tim

How are you guys cleaning this? I am having a hard time getting a draw. Not sure what to think of this unit yet. Battery seems to die very quickly. No clouds of vapor, no matter what I do. Although I am enjoying the buzz enough. Maybe just some practice but I dunno.......

I find that you have to be very proactive about cleaning the screen. Unscrewing it and running it under hot water or alcohol usually helps.

Tim,

vorrange

Vapor.wise

You have to clean it well, use a q-tip with some ISO to clean the bowl, straw and the latch upper chamber.

How many 10min sessions do you get before running out of batteries? I seem to have 4-6 with temperatures ranging from 185-190-195-200C.

When you finish the charge, wiggle the charging connector a bit and press it inside to see if it was properly charging.

It is rather strange you don't get clouds also, have you tried a VERY slow inhale for about 20secs? I get huge clouds from like 1/3 of a bowl..

vorrange,
Reactions: Pfb1500

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Just to confirm - the plastic smell is going away after a few uses, right?
Seems to be, yes. Mine is much less noticable now... almost completely gone, actually. Just don't store the unit in the foam it comes in.

Stu,
Top Bottom