David Goldstein's Fritted Disc

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Ahah I had a few mail exchanges with DG about a podsible custom piece... and that was like 1 month ago!

I can only sadly confirm what VNS is saying about the man... and I even felt it through written commmunication, so it must be so more obvious by phone!!!!!

FLskwat,
well here's what happened. My gf emailed him a few days ago about a custom fritted piece. Because I had heard about the 710 sale at NVS so I was just going to get a straight tube even though I hate straight tubes. I was going to do this because the can stacks so fucking good that it just stacks the whole can with bubbles and there is no area to let the vapor build up and I can't get as much of a kick in vapor as I would really ultimately like. So I was going to get a straight tube just because of the surface area. So back to the story, my gf contacted him to see if maybe we could just have him make me one rather than settling with something that I really didn't want. He seemed very nice over the emails and said that he really doesn't do much custom work, but wanted to hear what we were looking for. He stated that he sent out some glow in the dark fritters for 710 and said he could do something with that? I said I was more or less looking for a can style but needed a bigger can. Then the emails got to much back and forth so today I just decided to give the guy a call and here is how that call went down.

David:Hello Art Glass

Me:Hey I had a question about custom work? My gf was talking with david through the emails?

David:ok well that would be me then. But, I don't do much of any custom work really. Just really the color of the frit and which base you would want.

Me: Ok you were talking about a glow in the dark type frit? Remember I have the can style mini? I would be looking for something....(Then I was interrupted).

David: I'm very busy with things I need to get ready so could you just get to your point?

Me: Fair enough. I want a yellow/green glow in the dark fritted disk can style but I want a bigger can?

David: Yea that would have to be a custom job and right now with 710 and everything going on this just isn't a good time. I need to get back to it! Boom hung up the phone.

I was going to explain to him that I don't need this anytime soon and that he could take a fucking year to do it if he wanted, but he never gave me the chance. I understand the guy is busy, but at least let me talk.

Ahah I had a few mail exchanges with DG about a podsible custom piece... and that was like 1 month ago!

I can only sadly confirm what VNS is saying about the man... and I even felt it through written commmunication, so it must be so more obvious by phone!!!!!
why what does NVS say about him?

VapeNStone,
oh ok. Man he was a dick and I'm a fucking dick lol. It was like I was talking to a mechanic.

VapeNStone,
I know I'm really disappointed right now. I want a custom fritted piece, but I don't want to give that guy any more of my business.

VapeNStone,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
ya know, the whole patent pending logo and rooster are a real turn-off. 'specially considering he isn't ever gonna be able to patent it. fritted disks are a basic piece of lab equipment. i have a thimble with a tiny micron fritted disk for ethanol extractions of kief. mobius is already working on competition.
really, the functionality and low cost ($250-$300 instead of $300-$400) was what drew me to this in the first place, but where my money goes matters to me. if id do get one, i might go for the smaller piece and think about how i am supporting NVS, not DG. we'll see.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Yea I would not order a custom piece from him if that is his attitude.

I actually want to take his logos off of my pieces. I have never EVER bought a piece with a logo on it before... I had like 30 pieces at one point. I think it is tacky as crap, real artists don't plaster their logo all over their art.

When you have a logo as big on a piece of glass as DG, ROOR, Mobius, SYN, HVY, or any of those IMO they become less artistic and more functional. It becomes a commercialized utilitarian item, and not a work of art. It reminds me of cars that have their logo plaster all over them.

Artists tactfully sign and number their art in a inconspicuous location. I think true glass artists should do the same. A signature and an edition number on the bottom would look so much more classy. Anyway that is a long held hot button topic of mine. I could go on and on and on about it. /rant

Does anyone know if these logos can be taken off easily, or are they tooo well cooked on to be taken off?

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Well, unfortunately a lot of people can be dicks, and it could be he had a flaming hot piece of glass in his hands or something else needing his immediate attention. Not that I am excusing his choice to be rude and hang up on you, by any means, but I know how people get when they are busy. I have worked around the music industry (live shows) and the creative process is only a small part of getting things done. Lots of those folks seem like the biggest assholes sometimes, really nice other times. Hoping maybe you just caught him at a time when he felt crunched getting ready for the 710 sale. Maybe another attempt to contact him once the sale is over might be worth perusing. Maybe you will get a different experience, or otherwise confirm your previous one? My mom used to run us out of the kitchen for big meals, takes some concentration to get it all timed right...

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I doubt he was blowing glass. I would not hear a plane crash next to me when I was blowing glass. I was always so tuned into what I am doing. Also the jets from the flames are quite loud... usually someone in the shop is blasting music as well.

I own my buisness.. I kind of resent the way he handled the customer. Don't answer the phone if you don't have time, or don't want to talk. I have never hung up on a client or perspective customer. If I can't talk I apologize profusely and try and schedule a time to call back.

It sounds like he is not concerned with the end customers needs as much as making the standard products and getting his guaranteed sales that he has arranged through standing orders from stores like AquaLab and NVS place.

I was going to take his design to a glassblower friend of mine to show him the concept. I bet he would be able to reproduce it no problem.

Well, unfortunately a lot of people can be dicks, and it could be he had a flaming hot piece of glass in his hands or something else needing his immediate attention. Not that I am excusing his choice to be rude and hang up on you, by any means, but I know how people get when they are busy. I have worked around the music industry (live shows) and the creative process is only a small part of getting things done. Lots of those folks seem like the biggest assholes sometimes, really nice other times. Hoping maybe you just caught him at a time when he felt crunched getting ready for the 710 sale. Maybe another attempt to contact him once the sale is over might be worth perusing. Maybe you will get a different experience, or otherwise confirm your previous one? My mom used to run us out of the kitchen for big meals, takes some concentration to get it all timed right...
I understand that he could have had a hot piece of glass in his hands. But then why answer the phone? why not let it go to VM? To just be short with a potential customer? I wouldn't ever get a sale if I ran my business even slightly similar.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I know, guys, just trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I will say again, it does not excuse his choice to be rude and hang up... I just hope to see this twist into some kind of positive experience down the line... that's all. I really like the pieces, and even the silly rooster has grown on me a bit. I could do with out the printed patent pending though. Too bad it isn't peel away. I imagine it can be removed, but if I were to ever want to sell the piece later, I might not want to do that.

I had a similar experience with a concert promoter. I told him we were driving up to OR from TX and had a small travel trailer. The place where the weekend show was happening was usually a camp ground in off times, so I asked if we could come out early to camp and get placed in our RV spot and they said yes. When we got there, in person, after days of traveling, all of the staff on site were complete assholes to us, even when I showed the email printed out, saying we could come early. Needless to say after a few more bad experiences at that place, we are no longer supporting the venue. Sad when people ruin what seems to be a good thing because they can't take the time to be nice.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Don't answer the phone if you don't have time, or don't want to talk.
OK . . . I wasn't going to bring this up but the voice in my head just spoke to me again . . . I called and had a VERY similar experience on the phone with Mr. Goldstein several weeks ago. When "I" hung up on him, I yelled, "you should never have picked up the phone then!"

I guess he didn't listen/learn . . .

I think Acid Magic will take the logos off . . . I'll try the "patent pending" one first.

I doubt he was blowing glass. I would not hear a plane crash next to me when I was blowing glass. I was always so tuned into what I am doing. Also the jets from the flames are quite loud... usually someone in the shop is blasting music as well.

I own my buisness.. I kind of resent the way he handled the customer. Don't answer the phone if you don't have time, or don't want to talk. I have never hung up on a client or perspective customer. If I can't talk I apologize profusely and try and schedule a time to call back.

It sounds like he is not concerned with the end customers needs as much as making the standard products and getting his guaranteed sales that he has arranged through standing orders from stores like AquaLab and NVS place.

I was going to take his design to a glassblower friend of mine to show him the concept. I bet he would be able to reproduce it no problem.
I am self employed(real estate agent) so I know exactly what your saying. If I ever am pissed off or busy I just won't answer the phone, let the VM take care of that. Because in my mind that isn't fair to the customer.

lol. My mom takes the pics. I'm the buyers agent she is the selling agent. So she bought the awesome expensive wide angle lense camera for the job. It doesn't make it look all fisheyed and all that. My buddy is trying to start making it HD video's instead of taking pictures. He was in the Real Estate Magazine or some shit for it. maybe you seen it? PM me

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Let me know how it works :)

Also it is a bummer that you had a similar experience.
I am self employed(real estate agent) so I know exactly what your saying. If I ever am pissed off or busy I just won't answer the phone, let the VM take care of that. Because in my mind that isn't fair to the customer.
I just want to say I didn't post about this when it happened to me because I wasn't sure how much was him or me. I wasn't haveing the best day either . . . but you guys know my backround with luxury automotive so lets just say thats why I yelled what I did.

oh, btw, the logo comes off easily ;)

acidmagic.jpg

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
oh, btw, the logo comes off easily ;)

That is good to know.

I am having conflicting feelings now. I was planning on taking the logos off. I was going to do a review of the pieces for my website before I did that. Now I am very conflicted. I mean they work well and all. I just am not sure if I want to recommend them or review them, if the guy is not the most courteous of buisness people. Now I am pondering just skipping the review, and removing the logos all together. I kind of don't want to advertise his work on my videos/site.

I don't know how I feel about it all now. /grumble

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Update on the Acid Magic. Mr. Goldstein was very smart. When you remove all of the pigments with the acid you will see that he acid etched the logo into the glass before silk screening it. This is very easy to do with the right chemical, we etched car widows all the time at work, so you can get rid of the color, but a very faint image remains . . .

Edit: I'm gonna keep the rooster, I like it :)

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Well, I choose to ignore the logos for now... they don't stop me from getting a nice, clean, tasty hit. I don't blame you guys for feeling the way you do. I want to enjoy this piece after what I spent to get it... even if the guy has bad business behaviors. Maybe that's why he's distributing off to glass shops...

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw
Top Bottom