Dabpress Rosin Plates

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
It is difficult to find the language, is there a efficiency sweetspot for pressing certain amounts?

Say, if I have 10g. Am I better off pressing it as one 10g cylinder, or two 5g cylinders? Is one way more efficient than the other?

I have much love for this press and tons to type, but for now I just want to play!

My last press was a bit sappy at 190. Which direction should I move the temps to get a more stable material? The color and flavor is fantastic, very light clear clean amber.

So far I've only done small bagless presses of a piece at a time- getting killer returns with a sugary grease monkey. Looks like I am getting everything out of these pucks:D

My more personal runs of 5g have always yielded better than the larger loads like 14g, it's not an alarming difference and TBH it could just be the buds I select.

Just an FYI I wouldn't put more than 7g in the 30mm pre-press mold, it will create too tall of a puck. 7g is usually pushing pretty close to max.

On my 220F runs, sometimes I'd get more of a pull n snap consistency, but it really depends on the strain and a lot of other factors like how it's grown, etc. The more terpenes in the material the more sappy the rosin. You can try leaving it on the parchment to air dry for a bit and see if that helps. Pressing lower sometimes will also give you a budder consistency.

For most of my efforts I'm at 200. I went up to 220F for a time on some fresher material, but that stuff's now 6 months cured and presses great at 200F, now I get between a honey and pull n snap consistancy, very easy to dab and collect.

One of my newer strains, orange hill special will budder up while pressing, the white widow will budder up after about 6 hours. All pressed at 200F for about 3 mins using a little over 1500 PSI on the puck.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Zee cured rezin! 7g Cookies flower, cylindrical pre-press, 50u bag, 205F PID temp. 1.42g return = 20% yield. Cheers!

HRsZKhZ.jpg

like I said last time, the 50u is legit for flower ;)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Beautiful rosin @invertedisdead ! I'm gonna have to try a 50u run next. :science: Do you apply the pressure more slowly than higher micron?

Thanks sir!

Maybe a little slower, but they're pretty sturdy. I feel the 50u is a good balance between bag strength and rosin cleanliness. I like the way my rosin comes out with this bag!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
My pump takes a shitload of pumping to move the jack... I think it needs more fluid. What kind of fluid is recommended for the strongway pump?

When pressing smaller amounts, I am getting some bleeding through my parchment and onto the plates. Am I using shit parchment?
Do I need to double up parchment?

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
My pump takes a shitload of pumping to move the jack... I think it needs more fluid. What kind of fluid is recommended for the strongway pump?

When pressing smaller amounts, I am getting some bleeding through my parchment and onto the plates. Am I using shit parchment?
Do I need to double up parchment?

It's normal for it to take a lot of pumps to get the cylinder started and plates closed. The pump should have 630ml of hydraulic fluid already in it.

If you do decide to refill it I recommend to empty it, measure what was emptied, that will let you know if it was low. But when you refill make sure to add 630ml (0.67 quart). The manual has instructions on pages 15-17.

A 3/8 NPT pump would fill the cylinder faster but those are spendy, see enerpac brand like @gunmetalshark uses.

Double up on the parchment and try less PSI I'd say. Using filters will reduce it.

Are you using this math to calculate your PSI on the puck -

Psi on guage x 2.25 / sq/in of pressed puck

I.e. 5000 x 2.25 = 11250

11250 / 8 (rectangle finished puck 2x4")

1406 PSI on puck

When I use around 1500 PSI on my pucks with filters, I can use single layer Kirkland parchment with very little bleed through.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I've done no math.... just reading the gauge.

What is the sq in of the cylinder mold?

The 30mm prepress makes between 1.75-2" diameter pucks after pressing with a filter, so between 2.4-3.14 sq/in.

I've been pressing those at 1500 psi on the guage (approx 1400 psi on 1.75" puck). 3000 for double pucks.

The PSI on the guage is only measuring the pressure in the line not the load under pressue, i.e. the puck, so the math becomes important to know true PSI.

Last edited:
So I got my press and plates in. Messed around a little today with some kief. I pressed 21 grams of Master P dry sift in a 2.5” x 6.5” 32 micron bag and only got 10.2 grams back, a little under 50%. I was at 170 degrees at around 600psi bag pressure(5 tons) for 3 minutes.

Is that normal return for kief? Should I have tried a 72 micron bag instead? More pressure? Higher/lower temp?Any insight is appreciated, I have more material to press but wanted to get some pointers.

I’m not mad though, it’s super Terpie, taste great and has good color. Over all I’m pretty happy with my first press.

Here’s a few pics....
346kdgg.jpg

2rcpi7m.jpg

20uogax.jpg

I also devised my my own pre press. A 2” piece of pvc pipe and my Dake.

2dak5j4.jpg

30rqrfn.jpg

5g pucks of XJ-13 and Master P. Getting ready to press some flowers(still waiting on proper micron bags for flower, I plan on doing horizontal flower presses in the future).

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
For kief that sounds like good yields @milehighgrower ! I think that micron is fine I wouldn't go higher as all the oil should melt through and just leave behind the plant matter.

I'd say you could go lower temps yet, PSI should be fine, could go up but I'd do a small run to test it.

Any pics of the filter after pressing or starting material?

Very nice first press :tup: Enjoy!

For kief that sounds like good yields @milehighgrower ! I think that micron is fine I wouldn't go higher as all the oil should melt through and just leave behind the plant matter.

I'd say you could go lower temps yet, PSI should be fine, could go up but I'd do a small run to test it.

Any pics of the filter after pressing or starting material?

Very nice first press :tup: Enjoy!

In my excitement I failed to take a picture of the starting material. It was nice blonde colored kief. I dug the bag out of the trash for you. I lost a little to the seam.

2rcyl3o.jpg

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Can a hammer be used on the cylinder pre-press?

with 5g, it is too wide for my vice

I wouldn't suggest a hammer as the steel the hammer is made of is harder than the anodized aluminum. I'd be worried the pre-press would be damaged striking it. You really need sustained pressure not striked pressure to be effective.

Agreed on the Irwin quick clamps. They work well but you likely will need to get it pre-pressed by hand mostly first.

You could also take a piece of a 2x4 lumber, maybe 8-10" long and use that to press down on the top of the pre-press mold. Might get a little more force using two hands on the 2x4 versus just your palm of your hand.

I've found I can use my palm to pack down 7g with most of the cultivars, but some fluffy ones I may only get 5-6g in there to keep the puck height short enough to fit in between the plates (1.25" opening)

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I bet NT&E is wondering what the hell is going on with the sales increase for the strongway! :lol:

Dabpress Nation has demands! It’s another instance that makes me realise for every FC member posting, there are many more good-hearted people lurking from everywhere, playing along at home. :tup:

Dang ol’ @Hogni keeps goading and taunting me to push my self-imposed timeline for Dabpress acquisition forward and the worst part is that it’s working...:D I want to be in the Roger Dabpress Fan Club!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I still have only a few nights under my belt operating this equipment, but IMO it has already totally justified the cost! Hell, the unit has paid for itself just by way of quality output.

I am in complete control, and made finer rosin than I have ever bought.

Questions regarding Boveda:
With the increased importance of maintaining proper humidity in pressing, I have acquired various size bovedas.

Do I need to maintain separation between the pack and my material? Will it soggy material if directly next to it?

Are packs affected if they must be folded to fit into a certain container?

Specifically I would like to use bovedas with my Satchmo's but it is a tight squeeze!

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
^^like the sound of that happy endorsement!^^
This is what Hogni’s point is, especially in Europe, squishing rosin is the best option for concentrate by far. Employing the most simple maths, a dabpress will pay for itself in just a few grams of rosin. And of course, in EU that’s assuming one has the ability to buy any type of quality solventless extracts anyway. :disgust:

Top Bottom