Da Buddha

jackson495

Hey everyone - apologies if this has been asked already. Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the DBV board. It's a very simple question but I wasn't sure what to search for.

Just got a Da Buddha, and there is a little metal piece that goes on the base of the heating element and/or inside the bottom of the glass heater cover. It's almost a complete cylinder but there are maybe 15 degrees of the full circle missing so it has an open seam on one end.

What specifically is this for? Is it simply to keep the cover in place? Does the open end of the metal cylinder have to line up with the hole in the glass? I just got the vape so I haven't experimented that much but I'm nervous to move the pieces around too much. When I was first playing with it, the metal piece got stuck high up in the glass cover base and it took me some effort to get it back out.

Sorry - forgive my noob-ness. I'm sure this has an idiotically simple answer.

jackson495,

jackson495

Hey everyone - I've posted in these forums a couple of times with questions and have found everyone extremely helpful. Thought I'd share my DBV experience and thought maybe here was the place to do it.

After a lot of research and price shopping, I decided to go with the DBV, and bought one off eBay for $169 + grinder and shipping. Vendor: Half Baked Goods. Great price, vendor had 99.8% positive feedback, website seemed legit, etc. Unit arrives, defective, doesn't heat. I return it - they give me a store credit in the amount of return shipping costs. DBV #2 arrives, unusable, broken glass heater cover. More angry e-mails. Five days later I get a replacement heater cover. Frustrating - would not choose them again.

So obviously I'm DYING to use this thing. Set it up, turn it all the way up etc., set it at about 1:00. Tried it, got a little vapor, not sure if I'm doing it right. Turned it up, tried again...still not impressed. Kept trying different temps and breathing and then BAM, just figured out the sweet spot and got that a ha moment. And boy am I enjoying the experience right now.

Anyway, basically just took my first serious vape hit about 5 minutes ago and thought I'd come here to post the epxerience. That probably says something about how pleased I am with this purchase -- despite the frustration.

Thanks to all on the boards for the sage advice - looking forward to being more a part of them.

jackson495,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
jackson495 said:
What specifically is this for? Is it simply to keep the cover in place? Does the open end of the metal cylinder have to line up with the hole in the glass?

Hi Jackson, I believe it's just a shim/spacer piece to help the heater cover fit the base and allow for size tolerances in the glass. On my ssv there is this part, as well a another strip of metal, somewhat wider than the piece missing from the 'cylinder' to further compensate for a slightly looser heater cover. I don't think it matters where the slit in the cylinder sits in relation to the intake hole. Others might feel differently of course. :peace:

WatTyler,

jackson495

WatTyler said:
I believe it's just a shim/spacer piece to help the heater cover fit the base and allow for size tolerances in the glass.

Thanks - looks like my post was bumped from Ask FC to here. Figured as much but thought I'd be sure.

jackson495,
Alright, so it looks like it might be too late for me to cancel. I just placed an order for the DBV from VapeMaster via Amazon late last night, and it's showing it's past the cancellation stage.

I'm worried that there will be no heating cover made for a mini whip. What's the likelyhood that they plan on making this for the DBV? I really want a mini whip so I can load smaller bowls.

If I'm able to cancel the order by contacting the seller, and they agree, is it worth just going to the SSV?
I don't mind paying a bit more.

noybiznatch,
WatTyler said:
^^^ I'm not even sure if the mini whips are still about, let alone a compatible heater cover. Someone else will know. But have you thought about using the arizer dome screen mod? I think it's in this thread. It will let you do smaller loads with the standard wand. :2c:

:peace:

Thanks for the quick reply... I also liked the mini whip for aesthetic reasons. Haven't seen that mod yet, I'll do some digging.

Also, has anyone purchased any of the custom mouthpieces such as these from DBV's site?

noybiznatch,

PeaceLuvPot

Howdy folks. Have not been around much since I first got my Da Budda. Figured I would stop by for a few reasons. One. I still LOVE the Da Budda. About the same time I discovered vaping, I have also discovered BHO, and am also in LOVE with BHO. So I have a few oil rigs for my EHLE. But I have not combusted in months, not since i took my first hit from the DBV. And I hope I never combust again, I really don't miss it at all. Vaping and concentrates are where its at.

Just ordered complete Glass Kit #113 for the DBV. Since i know I am in it for life, time to dress it up. Kick ass blue color set, with some black tubing. Will be vaping in style now. :)

I am also ordering the essential oil dish for the top, as my wife and I love burning them with a candle. I tried using a dish that almost fit the top of the DBV, but did touch the top of the heater cover a bit, and it burned the heater cover. I was able to clean some off, but not all. But about a month of using the DBV burned the rest of the stuff off, and now its clean as new again. So I figured I would get the dish thats meant for it to protect my heater cover. Anyone using it? Does it work for a whole room, or just a small area?

I also ordered the Water Filter Cooler Moisturizer 92 - Straight 4 Percolator, but not really for the DBV. I can vape it thru my EHLE bong with excellent results. The reason why I want the kit I just mentioned, is that is is basically a full bubbler, as it comes with a Sherlock mouthpiece, and has a 14.4 stem. I have a 14.4 oil dome and nail setup, and a 14.4 wrapped TI curve. I have been searching for a mini bubbler for an oil only setup. But I really want a fully worked custom one. And thats expensive and can't come till the future. This little setup looks pretty cool, and just might function as a great little oil setup rig until I can afford a worked one. What do you guys think? Check it out at the DBV site and let me know if you agree. For only $89, its a cool looking little bubbler setup.

Peace All.

PeaceLuvPot,

jackson495

Hey guys - just posted a few days ago about my first DBV experience. Still enjoying it but not quite sure I have the hang of it yet. I can only seem to get vapor on high temp settings with a very slow draw, and they're not nearly the kind of big milky hits I've seen on some of the videos online. I'd say I can get a cloud about the same size as what I'd exhale after a combustion hit from a small bowl.

I've been reading every post in this forum and it seems like a lot of people have found their sweet spot around 1 o'clock, a few people at 2. I've been turning it up to 3 or more. I know everyone is different and everyone has their own sweet spot but I'm concerned maybe the heat control is off on mine and it's running way too cool.

I'm not sure how to measure this or even photograph it for comparison. I can tell you that when the dial is set at noon, I can feel the heating element is hot but there is no noticeable orange glow at all. At 1 o'clock you can just make out the orange glow, and see it pretty clearly if the lights are off. At max the element glows brightly.

Is this normal? Is there any way to test the temp? I'm an idiot with tools and devices so no DIY adjustments for me. Thanks for the help, guys.

jackson495,

sunsett70

noybiznatch said:
WatTyler said:
^^^ I'm not even sure if the mini whips are still about, let alone a compatible heater cover. Someone else will know. But have you thought about using the arizer dome screen mod? I think it's in this thread. It will let you do smaller loads with the standard wand. :2c:

Thanks for the quick reply... I also liked the mini whip for aesthetic reasons. Haven't seen that mod yet, I'll do some digging.

dude, i have asked 7th floor about making custom mini wand for dbv. will inform if i get confirmation.
and for the arizer dome mod, check post #1290
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=112151#p112151

long but detailed.

sunsett70,

sunsett70

jackson495 said:
Hey guys ... Thanks for the help, guys.

hey jackson,

sorry about all that crap you had to go thru with that company, but i tell u, when u get the hang of your dbv, it will be so sweet!

i got no way of testing the temp but when i got my dbv, i thought it was 'under powered' too.
(assuming its not an electronic heating issue) bear in mind, it's difficult to compare 'time' on the different dbvs as temp control knob may be calibrated differently. mine comes on at about 7+. my sweet area is about 11-12.30 But when i first got it, my time was 3-4 (4 is full power) and yet i couldn't combust (then!).

and 'breathe slow' is a relative term. for a start, this guy told me to breathe so slow/gentle like you're hardly breathing, and it works great. set at a lower setting initially, and move up per hour (or so) incrementally as you conduct the field test of your dbv unit. once u get comfortable, then u can vary your breath pacing/length and/or the temp control.

for myself, at a lower setting the first 1-3 tokes may have more taste less vapor, then more vapor less taste towards the further tokes. dont forget to stir once in awhile. now, i don't think vapor is thicker than smoke but you can still get a fair amount (esp newbies catching those 'coughing hits'!) but (from what i heard) the vapor also depends on other factors like the type/quality of your weed. i use brick weed and it works fine!

so, play around with your dbv. there will be enough 'high' & vapor both!

p/s - (reminder from Smoking electricity) try not to overload your wand. 1-3 to 1/4 will be fine. lightly press down with the marble tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
sunsett70,

Lindsey

VA_Kottonmouth_Kween
PeaceLuvPot said:
Howdy folks. Have not been around much since I first got my Da Budda. Figured I would stop by for a few reasons. One. I still LOVE the Da Budda. About the same time I discovered vaping, I have also discovered BHO, and am also in LOVE with BHO. So I have a few oil rigs for my EHLE. But I have not combusted in months, not since i took my first hit from the DBV. And I hope I never combust again, I really don't miss it at all. Vaping and concentrates are where its at.

Just ordered complete Glass Kit #113 for the DBV. Since i know I am in it for life, time to dress it up. Kick ass blue color set, with some black tubing. Will be vaping in style now. :)

I am also ordering the essential oil dish for the top, as my wife and I love burning them with a candle. I tried using a dish that almost fit the top of the DBV, but did touch the top of the heater cover a bit, and it burned the heater cover. I was able to clean some off, but not all. But about a month of using the DBV burned the rest of the stuff off, and now its clean as new again. So I figured I would get the dish thats meant for it to protect my heater cover. Anyone using it? Does it work for a whole room, or just a small area?

I also ordered the Water Filter Cooler Moisturizer 92 - Straight 4 Percolator, but not really for the DBV. I can vape it thru my EHLE bong with excellent results. The reason why I want the kit I just mentioned, is that is is basically a full bubbler, as it comes with a Sherlock mouthpiece, and has a 14.4 stem. I have a 14.4 oil dome and nail setup, and a 14.4 wrapped TI curve. I have been searching for a mini bubbler for an oil only setup. But I really want a fully worked custom one. And thats expensive and can't come till the future. This little setup looks pretty cool, and just might function as a great little oil setup rig until I can afford a worked one. What do you guys think? Check it out at the DBV site and let me know if you agree. For only $89, its a cool looking little bubbler setup.

Peace All.

Wow!!! Fancy BAD ASS looking stuff, they took the glass kit off the site (it's on it's way to you now!!! YAY!!!) but I saw it & it was NIIICE!!! I wish they had a green & black set like that!!! Also I want a essential oil dish for my DBV too, & that Water Filter Cooler Moisturizer is bad ass too!!! You got everything I wanted, just in differnt colors!!! ;) Lucky toker you!!! Congrats on your kick ass new set up & PLEASE post pictures once you have her all set up & fancyfied!!! I look forward to seeing it & haring a review of how it woeks... Smooooth I'm sure!!! BTW, what is the differnce between a percolator & the spiral ones??? I just saw (after rading your post) that they include everything I was wanting with those sets & I would just like to know the differnce in the spiral & percs (also curious about what the differnce is in how many arms the percs have, like what does it do). Thanx everyone & please let him or her & me know!!! ;)

-Lindsey

Lindsey,

SmokingElectricity

i too also thought my DBV was under powered when i first got it, but i think it was part me not knowing how to operate the unit correctly yet and also the initial break in period. also the amount of product inside the wand can play a factor too. sometimes less is more. i now only fill the wand up 1/10th to 1/8th of the way full, by stirring more often and putting less inside the bowl, i feel i can get the most out of what i put in there. packing the product down just a tad with a flat head nail after each stir helps too, especially torwards the end of the sesh when the product does not stick as well.

got about 2g's of kief saved up. straight kief sesh all day long on 420. time to dust off the custom glass. :ko:

SmokingElectricity,
sunsett70 said:
noybiznatch said:
WatTyler said:

dude, i have asked 7th floor about making custom mini wand for dbv. will inform if i get confirmation.
and for the arizer dome mod, check post #1290
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=112151#p112151

long but detailed.

Sweet, thanks for doing that for me. With the arizer packs, I'm guessing the dome screens have to be replaced as well. How much of a beating can they take before having to be replaced?

noybiznatch,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
noybiznatch said:
[...I'm guessing the dome screens have to be replaced as well. How much of a beating can they take before having to be replaced?....

One hell of a beating. One of the toughest screens I've seen. There's 2 in a pack and with a bit of regular iso cleaning and no abuse they could last years. I'm still on my first one and can't forsee when I'll need to use the second. :2c:

WatTyler,
WatTyler said:
noybiznatch said:
[...I'm guessing the dome screens have to be replaced as well. How much of a beating can they take before having to be replaced?....

One hell of a beating. One of the toughest screens I've seen. There's 2 in a pack and with a bit of regular iso cleaning and no abuse they could last years. I'm still on my first one and can't forsee when I'll need to use the second. :2c:

Danka!

I might be in luck though... a local head shop where I bought my bong from is saying they could most likely customize the heating cover for me. My bong is a sherlock piece to a bubbler, and their local glassblower made it... so I'm thinking this will be a piece of cake for them. I'll let everyone know how I make out. Still saying "Shipping Soon" on Amazon with a delivery estimate of April 22, 2011 - May 9, 2011, grrrr.

noybiznatch,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
WatTyler said:
noybiznatch said:

+1, those are immortal!!! :D

FLskwat,

PeaceLuvPot

LindseyCrites said:
Wow!!! Fancy BAD ASS looking stuff, they took the glass kit off the site (it's on it's way to you now!!! YAY!!!) but I saw it & it was NIIICE!!! I wish they had a green & black set like that!!! Also I want a essential oil dish for my DBV too, & that Water Filter Cooler Moisturizer is bad ass too!!! You got everything I wanted, just in differnt colors!!! ;) Lucky toker you!!! Congrats on your kick ass new set up & PLEASE post pictures once you have her all set up & fancyfied!!! I look forward to seeing it & haring a review of how it woeks... Smooooth I'm sure!!! BTW, what is the differnce between a percolator & the spiral ones??? I just saw (after rading your post) that they include everything I was wanting with those sets & I would just like to know the differnce in the spiral & percs (also curious about what the differnce is in how many arms the percs have, like what does it do). Thanx everyone & please let him or her & me know!!! ;)

-Lindsey

Wow, really took it down huh, they only had one set huh? Cool, thats awesome. :) :) :)

Well, as I stated, I got the water filtration piece more to be a BHO rig setup, then to use it with the DBV. It just seems a perfect size for an oiler. I use my bong with my DBV and I will say, if you haven't, water filtration makes the hits smooth. But I do notice thru my bong, we darken the herb that much faster because of the harder pulls.

But I will definitely post pics and give reviews of all 3 pieces. And I will say that back when I got my DBV, (I bought it locally) I read through this whole thread and heard some bad stories about how long 7th floor took to ship stuff out. At least I think I recall that. But I ordered my stuff yesterday, and have a tracking number today. So I am happy with that. :)

I will report back.

PeaceLuvPot,

jackson495

Thanks for the replies, guys. Glad to know at least I'm not the only one who had a similar experience with their DBV. It seems there is a real learning curve but the more I experiment, the more I am getting a feel for it. Thanks again to all the posters here for such good reading.

jackson495,

sunsett70

welcome, mate! it's nice to have a 'jackson' here. :)

i got my dbv around nov last year. even now i'm still 'learning' and it is a blast. take it nice n slow, man. now n then, after a few rounds at the end of the bowl use, i like to stir/crush and set temp at very high level, then take a Big, moderately speedy, long-length toke. sometimes there is little/no vapor but this hit takes me to another level. u may wanna use a water cooler/bubbler /whatever to cool the vapor as well as to stop tiny bits of plant material from flying into your mouth if u toke too hard.

another thing u might like to try is mixing with other herbs. i find damiana (didnt like it at first) is a A+ mixer for it's own qualities as well as enchancing the vapor effect. blue lotus is another one, i think it gives the herb a more floaty, mellow-like feeling.

sunsett70,

jackson495

Cool, thanks for the tips. I actually just ordered some lemon balm to mix in, since I don't know much about herbs but it seemed like it would be among the tastier ones. I'm definitely interested in trying others as well. Do you just grind the added herb in with the weed? In what proportion? I'm sure experimenting with the quantities is the best way to find out. I'll look into the other herbs you mentioned as well.

At least this is the kind of practice I can really enjoy.

jackson495,

sunsett70

haha, yeah, i like these kind of practice sessions too. i just mix the herb w the weed and vacuum it up. it's a 50/50 mix for me but try it out yourself, could be different for every user. and with the dbv, sometimes, less is more. cheers!

sunsett70,
Jackson, March last year is when I purchased my Buddha, right after my 18th bday. The first 2 weeks using it, I thought it was a complete waste of time and $$$$. After getting help from this site and good amount of trial and error with breathing techniques/patterns and temp control - I fell in love with Da Buddha. About half my friends love it and the other half are the ignorant "I only smoke blunts and bongs."

~ Fundamental tips that helped me master my Buddha were ~

- Let the Buddha heat up for 2-5 minutes. Duh.

- Packing the bowl 1/3rd full. *Also make sure your meds are grinded very nice and they are not stuck together in the bowl. *Needs to be a loose bowl pack, allowing the best/most even airflow throughout the bowl.

- Setting the temp low. I usually start at 11:30 o'clock, get about 6-12 light vapor hits then I stir the bowl: gradually increasing the temp from 11:30 to 12:30, etc. You'll start to get some nice clouds when you pass 11. 1 o'clock is highest I go; only do when I'm trying to get the most vape out of my bud. ABV results in dark brown instead of a golden shade.

*** Hearing yourself inhale. I feel this is crucial, especially for this temp method and for trying to teach new people how to efficiently hit Da Buddha. When you inhale through the whip hard and forcefully you can hear a wind like suction noise inside the base. (The air transit hole on the bottom of the heater cover). You do NOT want that noise. Try to make yourself as QUIET AS POSSIBLE, taking very SLOW methodically draws. Soon after gaining experience, you will 'feel' the vape and will not need to listen for that noise.

Note: When you inhale hard and forcefully through the whip you are creating a lot of air flow which cools the ceramic heater down a lot - making your nice cloudy vapor hits not constant and unreliable.

I wrote a lot and I apologize but hopefully I provided you with some knowledge for your new Buddha.

Keep Vapin, Blake.

BlakeGriffin,
I also had a question for the thread - That little metal shimmy thing for the heater cover to fit on the base of the heater is stuck in my heater cover. I can't remember if it was always like that or not. I was planning on buying a new heater cover and I was wondering if all the heater covers have that metal piece when you order them because there is no way I can get that little piece out of my current hc.

Thanks, Blake.

BlakeGriffin,
Top Bottom