Da Buddha

max

Out to lunch
It sounds good if he's enjoying it and not trying to chase a 'smoke high' with vaporizing. The couchlock, with all the smoke byproducts, just isn't the same. But you can certainly appreciate vapor more than smoke.

max,

cluffy

Vaker
sunsett70 said:
cluffy, thanks for reply. i think before i go loco on the mod hc and whip, i will try the original first. expected the dbv wand bowl to be bigger cause read comments that the dbv was bigger than some of the other vapes but it is smaller than i thought (great!). can't imagine then how small the bowl is for the PD.

On this page daddygreenjeans extols the benefits of the ssv type hc with the mini whip http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=201&p=31.
Enjoy your DBV as is, I just prefer the non hands free because I usually vape alone and I had trouble with the herb browning when I left the hands free wand connected. The mini whip holds enough for 5 - 10 hits and after two or three hits I need to take a break and enjoy the buzz for a while. It's still enough for group use. You can use the mini whip with the original HC which I did for a while, but it keeps the herb farther away from the heat so you have to up the temp a bit. It's all a matter of preference I suppose.

Hope you hook up soon!!!!!

cluffy,

sirprancelot

@Cluffy - Sorry for butting in. I am new to my Silver Surfer which is basically a DBV. I actually just bought an accessory which clamps my wand onto my SS but I hate it. I had the same problem as you with brownin in a spot due to the clamp plus heats I like vaping at. Whereas with handsfree I can control where the SS heat spot hits, evenly browning the material by moving around wand angle, and getting v large rips. I also btw only like 3 hits in a series. Something I figured out for myself.. nice to hear thats what other people like doing :). Am due a sequence right now :). For what it's worth, this SS kicks my volcano on it's arse. Wish I found a DBV/SS 10 years ago when I bought my Volcano... might have actually prevented me smoking like my SS has done for the last 1.5monthes. Cheers!

sirprancelot,

2clicker

Observer
id say you guys are over thinking the whole efficiency stuff

your not going to get more active ingredients out of your herb using a PD over a DBV. you will get more hits, but they will be thinner than DBV hits. so it comes down to personal preference. do you want rich thick vapor hits? then choose the DBV. do you want thinner, but more plentiful hits? then choose the PD. its that simple.

there is only so much active ingredients in the herb. there isnt a vape in the world that can increase the amount of actives in your herb.

champ3185

good point and tbh i was almost stressing about the need to buy a log vape and lately i realized i dont need it. 3 hits on dbv and im flying.

champ

champ3185,

sunsett70

dude 2clicker, good point about the verb actives. yeah, you can only use as much petrol as there is in the tank. i think efficiency maybe just one reason for fooling around with the vape. another reason could be that some people (like me) just enjoy playing around with it. I find the vaporizer so bloody interesting. just like some people want to customise their cars or bikes, while some others just use them for transport y'know.

on some days, some prefer rich thick vapor hits and on other days they prefer thinner, more plentiful hits. but what about the in-between hits? Different vapes have different characteristics but it'll be cool if we don't have to buy a new vape or change the vaporizer just to experience that difference in bowl load, hands/non-hands free op or vapor output that we may occasionally want. and apparently, playing around with the hc, whip/wand of the DBV apparently allows that kind of mod. and seems like it's a cost effective way of modding your vape, to a certain degree. now i'm looking for a thin mouthpiece that i can hold like a cigarette (does it exist?). be nice to act like i'm smokin' when i'm not.

now, i am still a vape-virgin so i will hold my comments until i take my first toke on a vape (is that how you describe using a vape?).

Nycdeisel, so when i change my screen, (assuming ground glass side up) the screen should either be flat or pushed down a bit to form a 'u' so the herb can go in there. thanks.

since we're on screens, how many of you buy the usual $2-$4 for 10 screens vs the 100 for around $7 screens from ebay? that's a lot of difference. i've seen some made in india stainless steel screen in ebay but not sure how safe it is. any comments?

and check out the difference in price from ebay vs amazon (same seller i think)
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-5-8-Stainle...358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4154a3b9f6

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Stainless-Steel-Pipe-Screens/dp/B002QUQPRE

sunsett70,

cluffy

Vaker
sirprancelot said:
@Cluffy - Sorry for butting in. I am new to my Silver Surfer which is basically a DBV. I actually just bought an accessory which clamps my wand onto my SS but I hate it. I had the same problem as you with brownin in a spot due to the clamp plus heats I like vaping at. Whereas with handsfree I can control where the SS heat spot hits, evenly browning the material by moving around wand angle, and getting v large rips. I also btw only like 3 hits in a series. Something I figured out for myself.. nice to hear thats what other people like doing :). Am due a sequence right now :). For what it's worth, this SS kicks my volcano on it's arse. Wish I found a DBV/SS 10 years ago when I bought my Volcano... might have actually prevented me smoking like my SS has done for the last 1.5monthes. Cheers!

Thanks for the support... have you tried vaping through a waterpipe yet???? It's not too hard to figure a way to get the hose to fit...

@sunsett70, I think you'll find that your screen lasts quite a long time. And I'm not sure but I think that the screen in Da Buddha wand is thicker and not as fine as your average bowl screen. I tried looking it up but google was no help and I can't find my spare screens right now to compare...

Can anyone confirm or deny that the screens are different?

cluffy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
max said:
It sounds good if he's enjoying it and not trying to chase a 'smoke high' with vaporizing. The couchlock, with all the smoke byproducts, just isn't the same. But you can certainly appreciate vapor more than smoke.

Well, I am enjoying every bit of it, but I think I am still comparing it to much with smoking. Not that strange since I'm using it as a substitute for it and I've only just started to make the switch 2 days ago when my SSV came in.

I don't think I do anything wrong btw. I get like 12 to over 20 hits of good vapor from 0.3 gram depending on how hard/long I draw, how tight I pack and how hot I set it. Sometimes even double that amount when using a bit of hash on top of my weed (I'm really liking this).

I hope it's just part of the transferral process though, otherwise I might go bankrupt soon, lol. I really don't want to smoke anymore now. I tried a joint yesterday, but it already tasted like ass and I threw it away after 3 hits, even though I've only been vaping for two days now. I noticed that mixing some tobacco in with the weed in the vap gives me a little more couch lock as well, so I may just do that every once in a while until I got smoking out of my system.

Does anyone know the temp at which tobacco combusts btw? It seems to go a little sooner than the sweet mary jane.

Sunset: this video shows you exactly what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Lomhls8J4&feature=related

OhTheAgony,

sirprancelot

@Chuffy - Yeah used waterpipe. Also have the SSV water moisturiser beautiful glassware. V nice. :)

@OhTheAgony - Jumping straight from smoking to vaping is going to take a little while. Hang in there! I personally have an incredibowl mini for rare pure weed smoke hits when I want the full couchlock experience. I used that also for when I was giving up smoking tobacco since vapor on it's own was not enough initially. Are/were you a tobacco smoker? If so, that'll be most of your problem here. You more likely than not need a little nicotine in there to give you the missing feeling. That plus the heavy lung feeling. What worked for me was lightly vaping some of my weed.. and recycling some of that for pipe use with a little fresh on top. In essence stretching out my dope through my initial giving up all nicotine phase that eventually has led to stopping smoking period. I would be v wary of vaping tobacco... can make you feel quite ill and give you a massive headrush. Not v nice in my experience. Gluck!

sirprancelot,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thanks Sirprancelot, appreciate the support.

I got the regular smoking down to just one cigarette a day for some years now, but I also use to smoke a couple of joints (50/50 weed/ tobacco) every evening. That's basically where I'm coming from.
The tobacco doesn't taste to good vaped, but in small dosages on low temps it's doable. I like the effect it has of knocking me down for a few seconds. I mostly do it to make myself stop vaping weed for a while though. I seem to be able to go on all day otherwise, but I simply can't afford that. I do have a couple of regular pipes laying around I could try if I want to, but I'd rather not combust at all any more. We'll see how it goes, so far I'm liking this new habit except for the amounts of weed it costs me. But if that's what it takes to quit smoking it'd even be worth it to me.

OhTheAgony,

max

Out to lunch
I noticed that mixing some tobacco in with the weed in the vap gives me a little more couch lock as well, so I may just do that every once in a while until I got smoking out of my system.
There is an adjustment period, but if you're serious about going 100% with vapor, you'll get over it. As for mixing in tobacco, I've never done it, since I gave up nicotine years ago, but nic is a stimulant, so it seems like you'd get less of a couchlock feeling instead of more. :hmm: Also be advised that tobacco residue will be harder to clean off.

The DBV is the type of vape that encourages big hits, so using more with this model is understandable. If you're trying to conserve, take hits that you can hold, vs. expelling big clouds of vapor. Loading less in the bowl may help too. If you really want to conserve, you might think about getting one of the log type vapes to go with your DBV. They complement each other very well, and the log style is great for being able to stretch your supply.

max,

champ3185

If this guy is looking for a heavier couchlock feeling would a logvape not be pointless? Iv read numerous posts describing how users have to pack a few stems with the pd to feel satisfied..counterproductive imo.

If conservation is your main aim, just slow it down a bit. Take a few nice hits and leave it for awhile. Notice how you feel and work from there. Correct me if I am wrong here guys but is there not a period whilst vaping/smoking where receptors reach saturation and further consumption makes no difference?

anyhow take it easy

champ

champ3185,

cluffy

Vaker
champ3185 said:
Correct me if I am wrong here guys but is there not a period whilst vaping/smoking where receptors reach saturation and further consumption makes no difference?

anyhow take it easy

champ

You mean that point at which one cannot get any stoneder???? :ko:

cluffy,

Nycdeisel

Im not sure that there is a point like that, champ, and even if there is, I imagine that it wouldnt be possible via vaporizing OR smoking. However, I cant say for sure.

Nycdeisel,

sirprancelot

@OhTheAgony - At least you live in the Netherlands where easy access to ganj is available. I totally agree it's worth being out of pocket to quit cigarettes. I've spent huge amounts on trying to quit smoking but my one foible are spliffs 50/50 mixed. Been 1month plus half since I last had one! I also found that combusting is dirty... and that's part of the reason I avoid my pipe nowadays. That said... i know v v well... that I have given up before and fallen back off the band wagon. It's easy to get back into cigarettes for me. 1 puff and I'm hooked. I'm that bad. One thing I am looking for though is a substitute for cannabis vaping since it would be quite nice to have the vape without getting high sometimes. Especially when I completely run out of supplies! Anyone got any thoughts on good herbs for vaping? cheers!

@Champ - Yeah man... totally.. one of the logs will seriously leave the man unsatisfied. I presume by logs you mean MFLB? I have one. it's useful but it is NO substitute for SS/DBV. None whatsoever. Put it this way... I am scheming this Xmas how best to enjoy my SS while staying with the parents. MFLB is coming with me for daytime vaping but at nighttime... the SS will come out to play ;)! (and in the daytime my incredibowl pipe may have to come out since I do find MFLB a little underpowered... v nice... but a little underpowered and more of a complimentary device than a stand alone IMHO)

sirprancelot,

SmokingElectricity

^^^log vapes as in myrtlezap, purples days, woodeez,etc and they are excellent vaporizers.

you are trying to compare apples and oranges here. two totally different species and they each have a place in a persons collection who is serious about vaporization.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

SmokingElectricity said:
^^^log vapes as in myrtlezap, purples days, woodeez,etc and they are excellent vaporizers.

you are trying to compare apples and oranges here. two totally different species and they each have a place in a persons collection who is serious about vaporization.

I agree with this, its too difficult to try and compare totally different types of vaporizers.
For example, I own a MFLB as well as a DBV and a Purple Days. They each serve their purpose quite well, and I love them all.

Nycdeisel,

champ3185

SmokingElectricity said:

i never compared them. I am also serious about vaporization and dont need a log vape.

peace
champ

champ3185,

sunsett70

sirprancelot said:
........ One thing I am looking for though is a substitute for cannabis vaping since it would be quite nice to have the vape without getting high sometimes. Especially when I completely run out of supplies! Anyone got any thoughts on good herbs for vaping? cheers!

hey sirprancelot, check out this threads
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=174&p=1
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=478985

and this sounds wicked

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3743

be careful though with any untested herbs stuff, even those which "have been traditionally used by generations". maybe some of them are ok for everyday use but i'm sure some of them may have side effects, some may have addictive qualities like nicotine (like i read that with wild dagga). and you certainly don't want any long term usage to negatively effect your liver/kidney,hormonal functions and some, like valerian supposedly has the smell of sweaty balls. there are so many types of herb/plants, and a person may react differently to a particular herb so you might want to do some research or just go for the more basic general herbs.

@OhTheAgony thanks for the vid.

@cluffy, got an email for richard at 7th floor. says they are no longer making SSV style heater covers for Da Buddha :( anyone got any idea where i can find an international seller for some kinda 'reducer' that i can join with the dbv hc and then use with some kinda mini whip?

sunsett70,

cluffy

Vaker
sunsett70 said:
@cluffy, got an email for richard at 7th floor. says they are no longer making SSV style heater covers for Da Buddha :( anyone got any idea where i can find an international seller for some kinda 'reducer' that i can join with the dbv hc and then use with some kinda mini whip?

Wow, that really sucks. My original idea was to have a glassblower make me an HC but then 7th Floor made one for daddygreenjeans so I just ordered one from them. If you know any glassblowers maybe they can hook you up.

The mini-whips are out of stock at Vapor Bros., but I got an email saying they will have some soon after the 1st of the year. As I said before you can use the mini with the original HC as is but it does put the herb a little farther away from the heat source, any adapter would probably put the herb even farther away. I had to turn up the heat a little bit but nothing drastic.

There's a vid of the mini with the original HC here: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=201&p=30 plus a lot of information on the pages around it.

I still think the mini is worth having for solo sessions even without the ssv style HC.

Last edited by a moderator:
cluffy,

sunsett70

managed to get some herbs so i started my experiment on my dbv friday night with me missus. the vaporizer is wonderfully different, to say the least. the first 2 times started off with 'small amounts' of about 1/4 or less. didn't get the vapor thickness that i wanted, in fact i have to say i was disappointed at the vapot output having read about the milky vapor shots. could be because of the brick herb i was using or the bowl load, i'm not sure but i sure got high. very nice, and a gentle, contemplative pure kinda high. got 8-10 hits in total. started at 10 plus and turning it up incrementally along the way after stirring, very thin vapor towards the end but still can smell the taste of the hit. however, at the end went up to full power (about 4 o'clock), tried various breathing styles and the herb did not combust (i wanted to see how far i could go). just smelled and looked slightly roasted. wondering if it could be an underpowered unit but did not think about sending it back (yet) as there are some issues for an international buyer that i do not wish to encounter, and the high was great. 2 hours or so later, loaded a 1/4 or more bowl and seemed to be 'more' vapor, defnitely can see but it is never as thick as smoke. however, at that time i was beginning to think it's a small thing as i was so blazed. and then i decided to lie on my bed, and that's when i saw the square carvings on my wodden door elongate and shrink, like some kinda rubber band. wow, haven't had altered visuals since .........lasted a few minutes which was nice. A very nice blazey feeling, i enjoy the feeling more than smoking joints or bong. went to sleep.

saturday morning, woke up with a just slight buzz (slept late after the last bowl) but nothing like the 'zombie' where-am-i feeling if i had used the herbs for a few joints. no heavy feeling on my head or chest. anyway awhile later b4 lunch i packed it with more herb, about 1/3rd. started at 11, took 2 good hits, again my lack of 'wow' at the vapor maybe due to my biasnesses with smoke products but still pleasantly satisfied as a fair bit of vapor on the 2 draws. and i could go on toking but i figured that was good enough. 5 mins later i knew it was good enough. maybe a medium sized bowl is more fun for dbv (take some hits and save the rest for later) cause the high was hitting me. for me, it lasted about 2-3hours. i saved the remaining herb into small glass jar.

my friend came over in the evening to 'assist' in my experiments. we together took about 8 hits of the balance of my afternoon vaping session. so a good 8-10 hits and again towards the end, i went to full power. no combustion, just slightly roasted and color was mixed dark brown, slightly black. this time i made sure it was packed nicely and the screen covered so why no combustion at full blast like some others? should i be glad that my unit could be 'defective'? my friend who is a heavy bowl and joint smoker expected more vapor, like me. but he was totally taken in by the high and really enjoyed it

anyway, bout hour later, loaded another bowl slightly more than 1/3rd , lightly packed. started at 11.30 and get some nice hits. my friend the heavy user said that 'he is higher than he has ever been for so long....". And i don't remember the last time i got the giggles but i got it. heheehee. about the 5-6 hit i decided to take a full breathe and see how much vapor i could take. wow, the vapor crept up and i could feel it and it was seductive and i didnt wanna stop, so i ended up choking and coughing. i wouldnt say the vapor was thick but quite a fair bit of vapor, yay! my buddy now wants to get a dbv too. damn bloody nice high, man.

woke up this early afternoon. again no zombie effect like if i had smoked joints. did some strecthing and exercise, washed up, filled a 1/3 bowl and took 6 nice hits. wow, sure is more fun to load a pinch more. by historical trend maybe about 4 more hits balance for later. i poured the bowl into my storage jar and cleaned the screen a bit with the poker. put the wand inside the hc at high power and toked a bit and lo n behold, there was some vapor too, nice surprise.

i am a stingy poke and conservative user of the herb, usually mixing it 50/50 when rolling joints. so 'efficiency' and saving is also an issue to me. in summary though, i think it is more fun to load slightly more in a dbv than slightly less, although with slightly less you can still definitely feel the effects (for sure!). some people because of this will say the dbv is not more 'efficient' as it 'encourages' heavier bowl load but it all depends on the user, or usage pattern as some people say. if i wasn't greedy and didnt use up all the stuff in my 1/3 bowl in one setting, it could probably last me the whole day.

If i choose to use less herb i may try adding in some other herb like mint or lemon balm to increase the bowl load for maybe some increased vapor effect. that's for later when i can get my hands on other aromatherapy herbs.

And the high is nice and gentle tingly; yes you can get pretty damn blazed along the way but it isn't the 'what day is it' stoned feeling with smoked joints, and i'm glad it's not that kind of high. for these experiments, i wake up mellow and not tired/worn out. and since vapor is safe, you can also do breathing exercises as well when vaping, be good for the lungs and chest.

Long Live The DBV!

@ cluffy, yeah i might get some of them minis when they are available. ta!

sunsett70,

Nycdeisel

no combustion, just slightly roasted and color was mixed dark brown, slightly black.

Sounds like your combusting, sunsett. You shouldnt see any vapor that looks like smoke, and in fact, most of the visible vapor that you exhale is just wasted, unless you are combusting, which it sounds like you are.

I try to pack no more then a 1/3 of the total space above the screen, even 1/4 of it would do for a smaller load. Then I pack it down firmly but gently and it stays in place until I stir it again, and I stir and tamp it down every 5 hits or so. I can get about 20 nice hits from 1/3 of the total space, which for me is between .1 and .2 of a gram. That can last me at least a couple of sessions by myself.

Nycdeisel,

sunsett70

Nycdeisel said:
Sounds like your combusting, sunsett. You shouldnt see any vapor that looks like smoke, and in fact, most of the visible vapor that you exhale is just wasted, unless you are combusting, which it sounds like you are.
see, that's the thing nycdeisel, i read that in combustion, the smoke would be off-putting and i would be able to certainly tell because it would outright stink. but for me, along with the herb taste was just a wood roasted fragrance. actually very nice on a cold evening. and there was no nasty aftertaste in my next bowl. i guess i was expecting to see some kinda smoke overload bushfire thing or something. as for the color of my avb, in the light of day (just now as i was looking), it doesn't seem that blackish anymore. excuse my lack of judgement, i was blazed. anyway, i loaded about 1/3 of the avb just now and hit it. nice lot of vapor. still got power in my avb.

and i stand corrected about the 'lack' of vapor. took the balance of my herb (3x), wahh, a lot of vapor. n this time i let the wand rest in the hc for awhile b4 hitting. niceee....

Nycdeisel said:
I try to pack no more then a 1/3 of the total space above the screen, even 1/4 of it would do for a smaller load. Then I pack it down firmly but gently and it stays in place until I stir it again, and I stir and tamp it down every 5 hits or so. I can get about 20 nice hits from 1/3 of the total space, which for me is between .1 and .2 of a gram. That can last me at least a couple of sessions by myself.

alright! for this 1/3 load (of my brick herb), i'm on my 9x, dont think i can reach 20 but by the looks of it, maybe 4-5 more. we'll see. but me thinks i'll probably be smoking a lot less joints from now on. i'm pretty happy with the dbv and it's effects. the vapor is just smooth, my silver dbv looks really good (just neat, sleek and a touch of humble majesty about it's design), i've got a good dinner coming up and my woman's coming back later. sometimes, life can be damn near perfect......

p/s - one newbie mistake to avoid is not so much coughing into the mouthpiece but rather 'sighing' into it when you're taking a toke. not a lot of my herb flew, just a few pieces that were dislodged but the thing is pretty sensitive to any breathe output. nice miniature fireworks display though.

sunsett70,

cluffy

Vaker
Yeah sunset, I think you're on the verge of combustion. My guess is that you're pulling too hard and that's why it's not combusting when cranked up to full.. With the big airflow on the DBV's system the temperature depends a lot on your draw. Nice narrative on your first usages, glad you and your friend felt the benefits of vaporizing. Vapor is always thinner than smoke, and if the herb turns black at all you're probably too hot. I like to let just a little vapor out of my nose once in a while as I'm puffing to make sure I'm still gettin' some. VAPE ON! Did I mention that my friends call my DBV the Highpotomizer?

oh yeah, you only cough/blow into Da Buddha once or twice, then it'll never happen again... Lesson Learned. :-)

cluffy,

sirprancelot

Interesting. I haven't had to turn my SSV upto full power but my preferred setting is at about 3-4 O'clock which is a lot higher than other people seem to use. I have found that the way you suck and how hard you suck... drastically impacts the clouds of vapour you produce. I find if I suck v gently for 5-10secs on my preferred setting then I can watch my whip fill up with a thick cloudy milky vapour. As soon as I see my whip hit the point of full (way before I feel a tickle in my throat) I pull away the glass wand and inhale what's left in the whip. No cough or anything. I've checked the weed afterwards and absolutely no combustion. It has surprised me in comparison with my volcano that I am having such a smooth experience without a water filter... yet blowing clouds of vapor that ought to have me coughing my guts up going on previous experience with bag vaporizers. It's definitely worth experimenting with heat and pushing to the max to work out where feels right for you - something about whip vapes allows me to get bigger hits more comfortably. I' m also mega chuffed to have smoked some of my v own wand hash... it makes cleaning the SSV wand a pleasure since you know you are also harvesting some amazing hash :). These DBV and SSV machines are ace. Only other thing I note is that I don't have to wait 15mins to get thick vapor. 2mins cull power then turn back to setting desired is plenty for anyone interested. Know the manufacturers say this but many people swear by 15min rule. Not neccessary with SSV at least. :)

sirprancelot,
Top Bottom