Customized vape setups

Pappy

shmaporist
Tstat said:
Yea, they carry a few nice items, and seemed to be reasonably priced. I'll tell you though, that tube is very high quality- and only $80 :)
They carry the Wilsons bros for less than ALT. ;)

Pappy,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
2clicker said:
budballer said:
oh 2clicker one more thing, i've been reading a lot about these ceramic heating elements. Apparently they're all made of aluminum oxide. Doesnt it scare you that you might be inhaling small radical ions? or off gassing from the top and bottom of the element from where the hardware is inside? I'm considering creating it still... bt i'll cover the ceramic in some thin copper tube from lowes and pinch off one end. sound do-able? will i have enough space if i used either the ssv or da buddha cover?

these are the same ceramic heaters that 7th Floor , Volcano, and other vape MFGs are using. the ceramic should not be producing any harmful elements at the temps we are using to vape. i mean really ANY substance you put into your lungs other than pure oxygen is "bad", but we still do it. even the vapor that we are all after is "bad", just not anywhere near as bad as smoke. you do not need to worry about the ceramic elements. the elements that Hakko uses is the quality stuff. you may want to steer clear of any Chinese ceramic elements though.

as for the copper... i would not suggest putting any copper on your heater or in the air path in any way. stainless steel is the only metal i would be adding to a vape. SS will not produce anything harmful at our temps, but i cannot say about copper.

if you follow my recipe you are essentially making an LSV, SSV, or DBV, but even smaller and more versatile than any of them. including the LSV. i still cant believe that they made those LSVs the way they did. a 90deg connection is much more ergonomic IMO.

let me know if you have anymore questions. oh and if you search for a thread titled "DIY Hakko" youll find the original thread where all of the materials are discussed in more detail.

Nice post 2clicker, mostly agreed

IAmKrazy2,

Bouldorado

I hook my ssv to my bubbler (minus the AC). I won't have a 14mm ground glass vape adapter until my lhs gets around to making, so in the meantime I've simply been stuffing the standard 3/8" tubing into the downstem. Works great, only problem is that the whole setup is noisy as hell. I'm not overly concerned w/ stealth, so it's just annoying. Anybody got a quick solution to the noise?
1.JPG

Bouldorado,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I don't understand why it would be excessively noisy. Can you explain?

Stu,

Bouldorado

It's has something to do with the tubing. w/out it, the bub draws real quiet. with the tubing in and hooked up to the ssv, the sound is amplified somehow. pretty obnoxious bubbling noise, but I don't know if theres any fix

Bouldorado,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Seems odd. But keep it in perspective: If a little bubbling noise during a vape session is the biggest problem you've got, then you're doin' pretty damn well. :brow:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

WATER LEVELS

pay attention to em. experiment, maybe even look into a different downstem that could cause the problem. play around with your draw speed

Nycdeisel,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I've kind of noticed the same thing as the OP, although it's never bothered me. When I remove the tubing to clear the bong it's soooo much quieter. The sound is focused up the tubing, and then my custom wand has two larger sections which kind of act as some kind of resonating chamber, along with the enclosed area of the heater (I usually also have the aromatop on). I think it's just the nature of how sound travels.

WatTyler,

Nycdeisel

sound is due to bubbles which is due to airflow, change that by your pull speed, downstem, water levels, the sound can change. try it!

Nycdeisel,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Yeah, the sound does definately change depending what bong is used or the water levels. But an over filled bong sounds wrong whether it's drawn through the whip or not, and here whether the whip connected or not is the only variable (we're not comparing between differently filled bong noise levels, just bong+whip vs bong-whip). So I'm convinced it's just acoustics that makes it louder - IME it's just the volume of the noise that changes when it's connected, rahter than any of those other characteristics of the bubbling. I'm sure there are some audiophiles on here who can better explain the theory behind it?

WatTyler,

Bouldorado

Nycdeisel said:
sound is due to bubbles which is due to airflow, change that by your pull speed, downstem, water levels, the sound can change. try it!

so I just played around with draw speed. turns out a medium draw is actually the loudest. next loudest is the fast, though it's not much louder than the slow. also noticed that slow and medium have different sounds than the fast draw. slow/medium have a distinct bubbling sound while a fast draw turns to a gurgling. also tried tilting the bub to simulate different water levels-I think lower water levels = louder bubbling.

Bouldorado,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
I ordered a Ben Wilson Triple D Inline and the house made Beaker from RX Industries, great pricing and really reasonable shipping rates! The shipping was half the price that ALT was going to charge to get to Australia and great customer service. Have been dealing with Jared there via email and he seems like a top guy! Very timely responses

I can't wait as it's my first dip into high end glass after testing the waters and getting a few cheaper priced pieces posted from various establishments around the globe. Finally gained the confidence to drop the big bucks. Will post some pic's when it arrives! All the Wilson pics and Pappy's vids in this thread made it an easy choice!
Really want to get my hands on a LW 15 Arm bubbler and either a mobius or hitman next! This is going to hurt my savings in a big way! Ohhhh yeah!

psyshaman,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Nice! I almost bought that BW, and I did get the house tube for my son. I was very impressed by the quality of the RXI glass, and the extremely fast shipping.

Tstat,

Kaptan

Can you guys help me decide which bubbler to get? I have an EQ that I will be using to vapor bong with. The 3 bubblers I'm up in the air about are the Ben Wilson 6 arm bubbler, Ben Wilson mini inline, and the Headford inline. I'd like to get the best glass piece that will fit the EQ well. If there is something better, please make a suggestion. I also have a MFLB that I would like to use with the new water attachment tool as well. Thanks guys!

miniinline.jpg

6arm.jpg

headfordinline.jpg

Kaptan,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
OK, I am familiar with the Wilson pieces, and I would certainly go for the inline. I have hooked all my glass up to the Q, and in the end the best hitter is the inline. I'd recommend a small one (10-12").

Here are some videos of the Q vs. various glass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OceanStateCannabis

Tstat,

Kaptan

Tstat said:
OK, I am familiar with the Wilson pieces, and I would certainly go for the inline. I have hooked all my glass up to the Q, and in the end the best hitter is the inline. I'd recommend a small one (10-12").

How do you think the Headford piece would compared to the Ben Wilson inline? The reason I ask is the Headford is only $180 and the BW inline is $250.

Kaptan,

jackmormon

Kaptan said:
Tstat said:

How do you think the Headford piece would compared to the Ben Wilson inline? The reason I ask is the Headford is only $180 and the BW inline is $250.

The Headford is great quality and similar in size/dimensions to the 10.5" BW.

However, The Headford is not free standing. It "lays back". The BW stands straight up and will give you a more stable and easy-to-use piece, IMO.

jackmormon,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I am not a fan of the lay-back style. That said, it is supposed to be a very nice unit and probably performs much like the BW. I love my BW, in fact I am hitting it right now.

Tstat,
Top Bottom