Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
See that bugs me. You shouldn't have to buy another vape for when your crsfty needs to be fixed. This is my issue in even buying it haha

Only having one vape is unwise, regardless of the brand. Imo.

If you are vaping to quit smoking like I did you need a backup just in case your daily driver fails.

You don't want to be contemplating combusting.

My personal preferences is a butane vape as a backup to a digi.

You know you could have a powercut/zombie apocalypse.

Crafty/Mighty is one of the best vapes I have every used.

And I've used a few.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I got my Grasshoppper vape delivered 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT! Wondering if anyone on this thread also has a GH and can compare the experience of using the two and if they are complimentary. I'm wondering if the Crafty has some real qualities that make its a good piece to add to th collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
slcbdco,

Dweez

Hello people,

I´m looking forward to upgrade my current Arizer Solo with a desk vape or with the Crafty. But I need to know how close the Crafty is from a desktop. Please Help:

- I need smoother and less harsher vapor, the Solo is harsh and dry. Is the Crafty also like that ?

- I also want to vape other herbs besides weed like lavender, Eucalyptus, chamomile, etc and I cannot get any visible vapor out of them with my Solo, only taste. Can I successfully vaporize them with a Crafty? Has anyone tried?

Your help will be much appreciated, mates. Thanks ! :rockon:
Having just made the jump from a desktop vapor bros. to the crafty, hopefully I can offer some insight:

-the battery life is really limited, and I spend a considerable amount of time charging it. You can't used it while it's charging either.

However, the crafty fucking rocks.

-I've found that the quality of my herb determines the harshness. Straight up bud is smooth and tasty. I'm smoking some trim right now that starts to get harsh after just one good pull.

-I put some chamomile in it (straight from a tea bag) and it was really nice, definitely got a cloud or two out of it, but it goes way faster than herb. One thing I hadn't considered until after vaping chamomile, was that the crafty tasted like chamomile every time I vaped until I cleaned it.

-As far as how it stacks up against a desktop, I am selling my desktop vapor bros. As annoying as the charging issues are, it still kicks the vapor bros ass. IMO, it is basically a handheld volcano, sans the bags and the air pump that fills the bags up. The vapor is excellent, the temperature stays pretty consistent, and you can get some pretty big clouds of vapor.

That being said, if I could go back and do it again, I would have bought the mighty. It has twice the battery life, which would be really nice.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I got my Grasshoppper vape delivered 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT! Wondering if anyone on this thread also has a GH and can compare the experience of using the two and if they are complimentary. I'm wondering if the Crafty has some real qualities that make its a good piece to add to th collection.
I'm waiting on my gh so I can't make the comparison (sorry), but I got the Crafty (and pax 2) to satisfy my vas. Have you read Buzz Dankin and the Vape Critics reviews? I think Buzz did a comparison.

I had asked Buzz and he said they were complimentary (if I remember right...). I have others, but I expect these will be my top 3. And I CAN'T WAIT for my gh!!!

Hello people,

I´m looking forward to upgrade my current Arizer Solo with a desk vape or with the Crafty. But I need to know how close the Crafty is from a desktop. Please Help:

- I need smoother and less harsher vapor, the Solo is harsh and dry. Is the Crafty also like that ?

- I also want to vape other herbs besides weed like lavender, Eucalyptus, chamomile, etc and I cannot get any visible vapor out of them with my Solo, only taste. Can I successfully vaporize them with a Crafty? Has anyone tried?

Your help will be much appreciated, mates. Thanks ! :rockon:
Here's my 2nd recommendation to read Buzz Dankins reviews. I think he can help you, and I find his reviews (and Vape Critics) very reliable.

I don't have experience with desktops but from what I've read, the Crafty and Mighty are as close to a desktop as you can get (excluding battery life issues). Have fun on your journey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Me2,
Reactions: slcbdco

VaporSipper

I think what people really want to know is, "why not?" Maybe the USB port is only hooked up to power and no data lines...

But if S&B can do it, there's obviously a way. Looking at the teardown video done by Vaporizers Reviewed, I don't see any other headers that could be used for a serial programmer, so it makes sense that the firmware can be updated either via USB or via Bluetooth.

Or is it just that S&B doesn't want the support headache from the possibility of customers bricking they're devices? Only they can answer that, but I bet this is the real reason...

venomflipz

Until there is a big enough difference/update available, I don't think we will hear much about updating firmware's. What do I know though... not much lol.

venomflipz,

chiefcombuster1

@Dweez

5 bowls from a full charge is good (most I ever got was 6 but it takes crazy fast session so not for everyone) and maintaining temp uses less power than heat up does but if doing back to back sessions you need to take care when removing/attaching the CU due to the heat

Its actually the other way around according to S&B in an Q&A or FAQ I read somewhere. They say they get 6 sessions per charge, and that its maintaining the high temperature that uses the most battery. They said Instead of running it at the high temp and keeping it going hot with minute breaks in between vaping, your better off turning it off and back on when your ready to toke because the high temp is what drains the battery. Where exactly I saw that I'm not sure.

Thcgos

Vape Addict
I have a firefly and it's good vape but it does require technique and though the flavor is great, the flavor from the grasshopper is just as good with less inconvience and nearly half the price. I've been thinking of selling my firefly to get a crafty as the GH is really for taking a few quick rips where's he crafty seems like a good session vape

Grasshopper is just as good in flavour as the firefly!?! That's amazing! The firefly is supposed to be the best flavour on the market. That's quite a claim, but I'm excited to try one now.
I heard it produced hot vapor (given it's short path from heater to mouth).

How is it with small loads, does it need a spacer?

Last edited:
Thcgos,
Having just made the jump from a desktop vapor bros. to the crafty, hopefully I can offer some insight:

-the battery life is really limited, and I spend a considerable amount of time charging it. You can't used it while it's charging either.

However, the crafty fucking rocks.

-I've found that the quality of my herb determines the harshness. Straight up bud is smooth and tasty. I'm smoking some trim right now that starts to get harsh after just one good pull.

-I put some chamomile in it (straight from a tea bag) and it was really nice, definitely got a cloud or two out of it, but it goes way faster than herb. One thing I hadn't considered until after vaping chamomile, was that the crafty tasted like chamomile every time I vaped until I cleaned it.

-As far as how it stacks up against a desktop, I am selling my desktop vapor bros. As annoying as the charging issues are, it still kicks the vapor bros ass. IMO, it is basically a handheld volcano, sans the bags and the air pump that fills the bags up. The vapor is excellent, the temperature stays pretty consistent, and you can get some pretty big clouds of vapor.

That being said, if I could go back and do it again, I would have bought the mighty. It has twice the battery life, which would be really nice.

Thank you for your reply !

You 're right about the harshness depending on the strain. The thing is that I find the Vapor of my Solo to be very dry, sometimes hot and maybe more harsh than other vapes (with the same strain). Its a good vape for the money I guess.

Does the Crafty's cooling unit work better for this? Has anyone compared the vapor smoothness of the Crafty to other vapes like the FireFly, which claims to have a smooth, cool vapor? I want the vapor to be as gentle to my throat as possible, that's why I am moving away from combustion on the first place. :rolleyes:

But a portable makes more sense to me than a desktop for now.

Thanks !

Mr. DoubtFire,

slcbdco

Grasshopper is just as good in flavour as the firefly!?! That's amazing! The firefly is supposed to be the best flavour on the market. That's quite a claim, but I'm excited to try one now.
I heard it produced hot vapor (given it's short path from heater to mouth).

How is it with small loads, does it need a spacer?

You can pack the bowl full or just use a pinch. In general I actually just use a pinch and there is no need for a spacer or stirring, how does the crafty do with respect to how far can you go into the bowl before you lose the flavor?

slcbdco,
Reactions: Thcgos

Thcgos

Vape Addict
You can pack the bowl full or just use a pinch. In general I actually just use a pinch and there is no need for a spacer or stirring, how does the crafty do with respect to how far can you go into the bowl before you lose the flavor?

My experience/ownership is limited to, Crafty, Solo, Flowermate and the Indica.

I would say that the Crafty does extremely well, until almost the end, with respect to flavor retention vs time+usage.
All the other aforementioned vapes don’t do anywhere near as well as the crafty. The others tend to get much worse towards the end.

To be honest, the solo has the best fiRst hit, but goes downhill FAST, crafty maintains the flavor much better. You can also kill a bowl in a crafty much quicker (if you want), which suits me, I sometimes hate taking 15 mins to finish a packed bowl on my solo. 2 more reasons the crafty retired all my other vapes, although if the Grasshopper is as good as you say it might be my secondary super discrete portable. I’ll just wait for Vape critic and finalized vaporizer wizard reviews before purchasing.

Last edited:
Thcgos,

JayDay

Newbs
I too am waiting for the GH as my secondary. I actually never really need a 2nd portable unit but that thing looks nice directly to a glass b. It also MIGHT be better on smaller loads. ( I never did like small loads in the Crafty but thats just me. )

I think Ive read this on the first few pages of the thread.. But is anyone else unlocking their CU to decrease resistance?
I only need it when I do a full load with the oil pad.

Been going straight to boost on my Crafty with 3/4 load, getting about 6-7 huge clouds. Love the Crafty with the Super Silver Haze :love:

JayDay,
Reactions: grokit

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
200 hours with firmware 2.05! :rockon:Overheating issues after 12 minutes with 195°C. :\
Heat up time 2:45 minutes.
I use my Crafty now for short glass sessions. I get 4 sessions on highest temp! I like milking with my Blaze Bubbler! 3 hits per session and the herb is done! :ko:
Vape on!

bigmouth

You can pack a pinch, but you will probably need to tamp it down with either the liquid pad or (my preferred method) a cut screen.

In terms of vapor, I find the Crafty delivers bigger, more flavorful hits than most vaporizers, but it takes fewer hits to cash the bowl. The remarkable thing about the Crafty, though, is there are no "ass" hits. The flavor may drop off on the last hit or two, but there's no cooking of the herbs. When the bowl is done, it's done.

slcbdco

You can pack a pinch, but you will probably need to tamp it down with either the liquid pad or (my preferred method) a cut screen.

In terms of vapor, I find the Crafty delivers bigger, more flavorful hits than most vaporizers, but it takes fewer hits to cash the bowl. The remarkable thing about the Crafty, though, is there are no "ass" hits. The flavor may drop off on the last hit or two, but there's no cooking of the herbs. When the bowl is done, it's done.

Nice, I call "ass" hits "begone dull care" like you could hit, it would work but why when there is perfectly fresh weed right over there! Good to here about the crafty, I'm convinced the crafty will be a good "session" companion to my "personal" Grasshopper, like they say, once you go convection you can't go conduction ;-)

CAB

I have been following this thread for a while and ordered my Crafty today to replace my V-Tower.

I read about the different ways to connect it to a water tool. I am using a Magic Flight Orbiter and want to get the right gong. As far as I understood it, most people prefer the 3D printed adapter, while I found the method of bypassing the cooling unit more promising. Can anyone who has tried both give his opinion and tell me what to get?

CAB,

bigmouth

Nice, I call "ass" hits "begone dull care" like you could hit, it would work but why when there is perfectly fresh weed right over there!
I like that lol!

Good to here about the crafty, I'm convinced the crafty will be a good "session" companion to my "personal" Grasshopper, like they say, once you go convection you can't go conduction ;-)

So, here's the interesting thing. Until I got my Crafty, I would have agreed 100% with the obvious superiority of pure convection. But the Crafty really changed my tune on this, as it apparently relies on some small amount of conduction to get the job done, and the flavor is excellent.

In fact, if you search this thread, you'll see a few folks, myself included, have tried using the Crafty as a pure convection vape. You can do this by using the MiniVAP flexicone plus and small basket, instead of the cooling unit. Personally, however, I prefer the flavor and vapor from the stock setup.

Stinky

I like that lol!

So, here's the interesting thing. Until I got my Crafty, I would have agreed 100% with the obvious superiority of pure convection. But the Crafty really changed my tune on this, as it apparently relies on some small amount of conduction to get the job done, and the flavor is excellent.

In fact, if you search this thread, you'll see a few folks, myself included, have tried using the Crafty as a pure convection vape. You can do this by using the MiniVAP flexicone plus and small basket, instead of the cooling unit. Personally, however, I prefer the flavor and vapor from the stock setup.

How do you get around the conduction from the bottom screen in the heating unit?

Stinky,

bigmouth

How do you get around the conduction from the bottom screen in the heating unit?
The small MiniVAP basket holds the herb and snaps into the bottom of flexicone plus. When you mate the flexicone plus with the heating unit, the basket stays suspended in the heating chamber. If you do a search in the thread for "convection," you'll see there are a few people who like to use it this way. As I say, however, I prefer the flavor from the stock setup.

bigmouth,
Reactions: h3rbalist

Alan Partridge

Smell my cheese
I haven't used it without the cooling unit, but have hooked a mighty up to the Orbiter with a glass stem you can get on vapefiend, works very, very well.

Alan Partridge,
Reactions: h3rbalist

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I just want to give some major props to S&B and their customer service.

A little over a month ago, my parent's house was flooded with 9' of water (the Blanco River Memorial Day flooding that happened in Texas). Everything in the house was ruined, including a Volcano and two Mighties.

Luckily, we were able to find them in the house, and they didn't get washed down river. We tried drying them out, even taking the Mighties to a special Dry Box Rescue thing for phones. Didn't work though.

My parents mailed off the units to S&B to see if there was any way they could repair them.

S&B called my mom yesterday, and said that the units were unrepairable. However, they were shipping out refurbished units back to them, all at no charge.

They obviously didn't have to do anything, the warranty doesn't cover a flood/water damage (they were upfront with what happened, didn't try and hide anything).

But my parents are VERY thankful that S&B are being so generous with their offer to send refurb units for free. Makes dealing with everything else that was lost just a little bit easier.

Mods, if this violates the cross-posting/spam rule, please delete it. Just thought it was worth sharing with both the Crafty and Mighty threads.

RBW

Does this look normal to people? (sorry for the dodgy photo)

454DJd2.jpg

There is flaky plastic around where the plastic part of the bowl joins with the metal part.

RBW,

ginolicious

If what I'm looking at is what you are trying to show, looks like normal wear and tear from screwing the top on and off.

ginolicious,

RBW

If what I'm looking at is what you are trying to show, looks like normal wear and tear from screwing the top on and off.

This is a brand new crafty (sorry, should have said that in the first place).

But is it the case that with normal usage a crafty gets flaky bits of plastic around the bowl?

RBW,
Top Bottom