Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Volteric

I haven't tested this but, based on my experience, I'd say it's a combination of convection and conduction and you're going to see some cooking going on. I'd love to hear dissenting evidence.

Do you know if the inner ring in the crafty heats up? I'm guessing it does and thus cooks the material a bit. Oh heck, I'll heat it up without material to see

EDIT: The chamber most definitely heats up. So I just discovered what everybody here probably already knows: it's a conduction/convection hybrid.

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
Crafty versus Mighty
Do you have both of these vaporizers?
Which do you prefer for walking around your home and yard only .... not interested in use at clubs, parks, camping, etc ... just at your favorite sitting spot at home and moving around the house. And WHY do you prefer it?

Neither stealth nor odor suppression are of any concern, only ease and comfortableness of use are important to me in this choice.

I already have and love a Mighty, and think that I should have a spare ... and am considering the Crafty. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

skyvaper

@ntaylor the mighty heats up faster than the crafty and the temp control is on the device making adjusting easier. The mighty can handle as many sessions as I please and has better pass through charging with no worry of overheating. Vapor is slighty cooler with the mighty. I get more sessions per charge esentially double due to double battery. Both devices can be held with one hand so if you dont need stealth the mighty is absolutely the best choice for ease of use ime. What do you consider easy is the question. Crafty is a button press away from vaping but I consider charging, overheating, temp adjusting in my preference over the two. I use the mighty at home and the crafty when out 100% of the time.

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
@ntaylor the mighty heats up faster than the crafty and the temp control is on the device making adjusting easier. The mighty can handle as many sessions as I please and has better pass through charging with no worry of overheating. Vapor is slighty cooler with the mighty. I get more sessions per charge esentially double due to double battery. Both devices can be held with one hand so if you dont need stealth the mighty is absolutely the best choice for ease of use ime. What do you consider easy is the question. Crafty is a button press away from vaping but I consider charging, overheating, temp adjusting in my preference over the two. I use the mighty at home and the crafty when out 100% of the time.
@skyvaper Excellent response ... just the kind of info I'm looking for!

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
sorry if asked before but has anyone smoked the bud that was vaped?
can you get high?
Abso-freakin'-lutely!

Been vaping for years and I've always smoked my duff. Lot's of good buzz left even if you've turned your nicely ground herb into a deep chocolate brown with black specks!

At $50 an eighth I don't waste much of my top shelf bud!

But many of the combustion haters will be offended by my response.

Last edited:

Frank Reynolds

Abso-freakin'-lutely!

Been vaping for years and I've always smoked my duff. Lot's of good buzz left even if you've turned your nicely ground herb into a deep chocolate brown with black specks!

I'm way more offended that you still have to pay $50/8th. That's rough man.

Frandemarco

Abso-freakin'-lutely!

Wow never knew that info thanks. Its nothing wrong with combustion once in awhile

vapviking

Old & In the Way
sorry if asked before but has anyone smoked the bud that was vaped?
can you get high?

Yes, after a fashion. Combustion will release lots of stuff that's not released at vaping temperatures.

My grandmother (who never even used alcohol) used to say you would get "woozy" if you took an aspirin along with Coca Cola (probably meaning a very early version of the cola). Combusting will get you high, along with woozy, whether it's fresh flowers or avb/abv.

So, I have four reasons not to combust your avb.
1. It tastes like crap.
2. In my experience with the high from vaping compared to combusting, the high from combusting is less desirable. See woozy, above.
2. It's defeating the health benefit that might be gained made by vaping over combusting in the first place. I suppose this isn't relevant if you're already a regular smoker of something.
3. You can use the avb in many other pleasant ways, like making canna oils (vape it again!), butter for cooking brownies, etc., etc.

There are multiple threads on the FC website that explore uses for avb and many that extol the healthier aspects of vaping over combustion. This place is an amazing exchange of thoughts/experiences/knowledge.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yes, after a fashion. Combustion will release lots of stuff that's not released at vaping temperatures.

My grandmother (who never even used alcohol) used to say you would get "woozy" if you took an aspirin along with Coca Cola (probably meaning a very early version of the cola). Combusting will get you high, along with woozy, whether it's fresh flowers or avb/abv.

So, I have four reasons not to combust your avb.
1. It tastes like crap.
2. In my experience with the high from vaping compared to combusting, the high from combusting is less desirable. See woozy, above.
2. It's defeating the health benefit that might be gained made by vaping over combusting in the first place. I suppose this isn't relevant if you're already a regular smoker of something.
3. You can use the avb in many other pleasant ways, like making canna oils (vape it again!), butter for cooking brownies, etc., etc.

There are multiple threads on the FC website that explore uses for avb and many that extol the healthier aspects of vaping over combustion. This place is an amazing exchange of thoughts/experiences/knowledge.

No reflection on this thorough and thoughtful answer, but further discussion of this topic belongs in another thread.

pakalolo,

Vapinmofo

I'm way more offended that you still have to pay $50/8th. That's rough man.

smoking ABV Sort of defeats the purpose of Vaporizing doesn't it?
I dump every bit of ABV into the ground. once it has gone to amber color or darker its gone. dead to me. once the flavor is gone the ABV is gone. yes its a waste. Oh well. I value my lungs.

As for the price of high quality vaporizing materials..... Here in LA the prices vary wildly. In one shop you will find they have a true $35.00 cap NO FLOWERS OVER $35.00. Generally these ($35.00 1/8) are high quality tested meds.

That said. for $40-45 in a different shop on the other side of town will buy you a PREMIUM known farmer known strain known ORGANIC.... tests in the high 20's flowers.
So you do get what you pay for. There is no doubt that even at $50.00 good weed is a good value. Every OZ of weed weighs 3 ounces or more when harvested prior to curing.
There is a HELL OF A LOT or work that goes into growing weed.
So if you are getting great hand grown high quality Organic flowers for $50.00 thats not bad.
BTW here in LA $10 a gram for flowers is generally the average price. sometimes more sometimes less.
Budlovinmofo

Vapinmofo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
smoking ABV Sort of defeats the purpose of Vaporizing doesn't it?
I dump every bit of ABV into the ground. once it has gone to amber color or darker its gone. dead to me. once the flavor is gone the ABV is gone. yes its a waste. Oh well. I value my lungs.

As for the price of high quality vaporizing materials..... Here in LA the prices vary wildly. In one shop you will find they have a true $35.00 cap NO FLOWERS OVER $35.00. Generally these ($35.00 1/8) are high quality tested meds.

That said. for $40-45 in a different shop on the other side of town will buy you a PREMIUM known farmer known strain known ORGANIC.... tests in the high 20's flowers.
So you do get what you pay for. There is no doubt that even at $50.00 good weed is a good value. Every OZ of weed weighs 3 ounces or more when harvested prior to curing.
There is a HELL OF A LOT or work that goes into growing weed.
So if you are getting great hand grown high quality Organic flowers for $50.00 thats not bad.
BTW here in LA $10 a gram for flowers is generally the average price. sometimes more sometimes less.
Budlovinmofo

This is intended for everyone not just you.

While the discussion undoubtedly interests some of you, it is off-topic for this thread. Someone can start a thread on smoking ABV or the fairness of local legal prices, but please stick to the Crafty when posting here. Thanks for your cooperation.

Volteric

Yummy! Packing a one-third bowl in the Crafty has achieved my personal holy grail of tasty aromatic first hits forever more. It's flavor hits for all eternity this way!

But the short battery life disrupts utopia too often and prematurely!

Last edited:

Hot Dog Day 187

Yummy! Packing a one-third bowl in the Crafty has achieved my personal holy grail of tasty aromatic first hits forever more. It's flavor hits for all eternity this way!

But the short battery life disrupts utopia too often and prematurely!
time to upgrade to a mighty?
i always found performance with less than a full bowl lacking.

Hot Dog Day 187,

Hot Dog Day 187

I have to counterbalance the stealth factor of the Crafty though. The Mighty seems a bit to well um mighty for my liking.
I don't think it's too big to be stealthy at all. then again, i've brought a solo to many concerts & other precarious scenarios. to the best of my knowledge nobody could tell where the smell might be coming from and i think a mighty is easier to conceal than a solo...
i feel like the mighty or crafty is hard to be stealth with all the vapor it pours out!!!

Hot Dog Day 187,
Reactions: Roth

Volteric

I don't think it's too big to be stealthy at all. then again, i've brought a solo to many concerts & other precarious scenarios. to the best of my knowledge nobody could tell where the smell might be coming from and i think a mighty is easier to conceal than a solo...
i feel like the mighty or crafty is hard to be stealth with all the vapor it pours out!!!
Do you find performance/taste differences between the two units? The Mighty would have to be part electric razor, part vibrator for me to spend the money having a crafty!

Volteric,

Hot Dog Day 187

Do you find performance/taste differences between the two units? The Mighty would have to be part electric razor, part vibrator for me to spend the money having a crafty!
I've used a crafty exactly once and a mighty hundreds of times, so i am not the person to ask about this. people say the mighty has slighty smoother vapor, probably because of the larger cooling unit.

Jealousy

Has anyone been able to use the Crafty with the Lollipop on android phones? Or is it just because of the firmware on the Crafty itself?

Jealousy,

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
time to upgrade to a mighty?
i always found performance with less than a full bowl lacking.
I've been lurking here because I was thinking about buying a Crafty as backup for my Mighty ... until people convinced me that a second Mighty would be a much better choice for my uses.

For the past couple of weeks I've been experimenting to find what load works best in the Mighty for me.
The first thing I found was than fine grinding the herb improves the overall vapor experience. I grind first with a SpaceCase 4-piece grinder and then regrind with a Magic-Flight Finishing Grinder.
http://sales.magic-flight.com/finishing-grinder/

I started filling the bowl full as directed and it would weigh about 250mg ... then started working down to about 110 mg ... then moving up and down the load size and narrowing the range.
I found that about 160mg gives the most efficient use of my MMJ in my Mighty. My Launch Box does its best with this grind and size load.
YMMV

The Volcano seems best without the fine grind and about 0.25g.

Last edited:
Top Bottom