COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

florduh

And, I pointed out the actual quote which was different from your use of it. Still fighting too. So, is it "terrible" or not?
No, 12 new cases isn't "terrible" compared to the 50,000 the country he's President of experienced the same day. Not sure how this is hard for you to understand

I posted an expert's. (Which some of us seemed to previously indicate we needed to listen to more.)
LOL. I never recommended cherrypicking one expert who "coincidentally" confirms all of your previously held biases. I recommended precisely the opposite. From the article you did not read:

It’s not so much that you “must not do your own research.” It’s that you really need to understand that you probably can’t “do your own research” and that the conclusions you reach “doing your own research” are highly likely to be more in line with your prior beliefs than scientifically correct.

The perils and pitfalls of “doing your own research” about COVID-19 (or any other science)

Time to get moving on opening up.

I agree. I hope the Federal Government will put big money into funding the rapid testing options posted about on this thread. So more people will feel safe enough to return to normalcy. I'm not holding my breath, but if you really want to "move on" there's the way. We've known about these tests for months now.

The pandemic was not the problem; the response to the pandemic was.

Unintentionally correct statement.

Green Kiwi

South Carolina has a population roughly equivalent to New Zealand's.

SC: 107,000 confirmed cases. 2,288 dead.

NZ: 1,600 confirmed cases. 22 dead.

Maybe in the future New Zealand will be just as ravaged as South Carolina. As it stands now, calling NZ's COVID situation "terrible" compared to the United States is fucking stupid.
I think I can agree that that commend of "the clown" is fucking stupid.
I honestly, have stopped paying any attention to what his government say.It;s to embarrassingly stupid:mental:.

Gunky

This is so emblematic of the federal response in this country. Some quack nostrum gets promoted to the top bozo, and then these things are sold by classic flood-the-zone efforts. Every time Cooper pins him down, new bullshit squirts from another hole. The moron's connected to the pillow guy, the pillow guy's connected to Ben Carson, the Carson 's connected to the big bozo, and that's how we get our can't miss, surefire, one in a million, you gotta buy it - cure!

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Vitamin D deficiency as a predictor of poor prognosis in patients with acute respiratory failure due to COVID-19

Conclusions: High prevalence of hypovitaminosis D was found in COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory failure, treated in a RICU. Patients with severe vitamin D deficiency had a significantly higher mortality risk. Severe vitamin D deficiency may be a marker of poor prognosis in these patients, suggesting that adjunctive treatment might improve disease outcomes.

Couldn't hurt to take some vitamin D if you are not getting enough sun.

Tranquility

The pandemic was not the problem?!

THE PANDEMIC WASNT A PROBLEM PEOPLE! GO BACK TO WORK!
Yup. It seems the world went crazy for some reason. The best guess is that we're just not that set up for understanding risk. More are going to die because of the shutdowns than will have died from the disease.

More Evidence That Shutdowns Are Useless
... The data suggest that lockdowns have not prevented any deaths from covid-19. At best, lockdowns have deferred death for a short time, but they cannot possibly be continued for the long term. It seems likely that one will not have to even compare economic deprivation with loss of life, as the final death toll following authoritarian lockdowns will most likely exceed the deaths from letting people choose how to manage their own risk. After taking the unprecedented economic depression into account, history will likely judge these lockdowns to be the greatest policy error of this generation.

Tranquility,

florduh

BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER RIGHT WING BLOGGER THINKS SHUTDOWNS ARE STUPID! Yeah, we get it.

I'd really like to sample the strain that allows one to believe that without any lockdowns, the economy would be doing great. It sounds like some good shit. The President says without any lockdowns millions would've died. That seems hyperbolic, but I sort of doubt even "just" an extra hundred thousand dead bodies would've motivated people to get back to restaurants, malls, and tourist destinations.

history will likely judge these lockdowns to be the greatest policy error of this generation.

I agree. It's pretty terrible that the Federal Government didn't spend the initial lockdown period getting hundreds of millions of those little paper rapid tests manufactured. We could be done with all this nonsense by now. Instead, we still have 1,000 Americans dying every day, AND the economy is fucked. All because of the greatest policy error(s) of this generation.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Yup. It seems the world went crazy for some reason. The best guess is that we're just not that set up for understanding risk. More are going to die because of the shutdowns than will have died from the disease.

More Evidence That Shutdowns Are Useless
... The data suggest that lockdowns have not prevented any deaths from covid-19. At best, lockdowns have deferred death for a short time, but they cannot possibly be continued for the long term. It seems likely that one will not have to even compare economic deprivation with loss of life, as the final death toll following authoritarian lockdowns will most likely exceed the deaths from letting people choose how to manage their own risk. After taking the unprecedented economic depression into account, history will likely judge these lockdowns to be the greatest policy error of this generation.

Your best guesses are worse than useless.

And yes, considering there is a rest of the world, that hasnt had the deaths from lockdown, that has contained the virus better than the US, lessons could have been learned but El Trumpo didnt bother and said it would be gone before we knew it, that it wasnt really a big deal.

Biggest economy in the world, youre showing no imagination.

"More are going to die because of the shutdowns than will have died from the disease."

Thats just stupid. The disease is indiscriminate, to an extent, its just a disease. Lockdown deaths are economic policy driven. They're a distribution of wealth and health issue. Biggest economy in the world. No imagination. Its not the lockdowns, its the zero financial help.

Tranquility

I'm glad some really know what the real issue is, um, testing! That's it, testing. It will all be solved once we get the mail going and, testing.

The course of the disease is known. The pattern is the same everywhere so far. You've seen it. I've shown it. Let's show it again for the right wing blog naysayers:
e8cb9439f34fe943eb3c2ed17843026a96f0397abb1223831e8e0a38bf9a4ac2.png

We've been in this thing for months and everyone has been inundated with Covid info; how we doin'?
On My Mind: They Blinded Us From Science

The first round of our Franklin Templeton–Gallup Economics of Recovery Study has already yielded three powerful and surprising insights:
  1. Americans still misperceive the risks of death from COVID-19 for different age cohorts—to a shocking extent;

2. The misperception is greater for those who identify as Democrats, and for those who rely more on social media for information; partisanship and misinformation, to misquote Thomas Dolby, are blinding us from science; and

3. We find a sizable “safety premium” that could become a significant driver of inflation as the recovery gets underway.
Misperceptions of risk
Six months into this pandemic, Americans still dramatically misunderstand the risk of dying from COVID-19:
  1. On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.

2. Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.

3. Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger
  4. by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
These results are nothing short of stunning. Mortality data have shown from the very beginning that the COVID-19 virus age-discriminates, with deaths overwhelmingly concentrated in people who are older and suffer comorbidities. This is perhaps the only uncontroversial piece of evidence we have about this virus. Nearly all US fatalities have been among people older than 55; and yet a large number of Americans are still convinced that the risk to those younger than 55 is almost the same as to those who are older...

Tranquility,

florduh

I'm glad some really know what the real issue is, um, testing! That's it, testing. It will all be solved once...

Do you really not understand how rapid testing would solve this, fairly... rapidly? If you're confused, several articles have been posted on this thread. I know it isn't from a dipshit wordpress blog with articles about MASK FASCISM, but here's an example you must've missed:

Despite your delusions, there are still 1,000 Americans dying every day from this disease. MIllions are infected. Quickly knowing who is infected would bring the disease to heel much faster than letting it just run its course. It would also save thousands of lives, and get the economy up and running faster. A faster recovery and fewer dead bodies are good things. Now do you get it?

As for everything else you posted.... you still seem ignorant to the fact the outcomes from this disease aren't, A: You're dead, B: You're fine. There are younger people with heart damage and other secondary effects weeks after infection. COVID isn't the flu. Amazing I have to say this in fucking August.

Also 2.7% of 170,000 is 4,500 dead young people. If a terrorist killed 4,500 young people, this country would go apeshit.

mephisto

Thanks to all who are feeding this thread. It is good to have a supply of information that is closer to a non-bias than readily available elsewhere for me. I stopped paying attention to the box of death on the wall back in April.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
True enough. I assume you won't use any vaccines or therapeutics that come from such backward countries, right?

Why would you assume something that makes such little sense? Nothing I wrote pointed in any way towards that. My point was that data from other countries could proof useful instead of just focusing on the US like youre a different species.

Thanks to all who are feeding this thread. It is good to have a supply of information that is closer to a non-bias than readily available elsewhere for me. I stopped paying attention to the box of death on the wall back in April.

Much like the news, we're all just regurgitating what someone else has said, with plenty of bias, and (self) editorial opinions. I feel it would be good to remember that when visiting this thread.

Last edited:

Tranquility

Do you really not understand how rapid testing would solve this, fairly... rapidly? If you're confused, several articles have been posted on this thread. I know it isn't from a dipshit wordpress blog with articles about MASK FASCISM, but here's an example you must've missed:

Despite your delusions, there are still 1,000 Americans dying every day from this disease. MIllions are infected. Quickly knowing who is infected would bring the disease to heel much faster than letting it just run its course. It would also save thousands of lives, and get the economy up and running faster. A faster recovery and fewer dead bodies are good things. Now do you get it?

As for everything else you posted.... you still seem ignorant to the fact the outcomes from this disease aren't, A: You're dead, B: You're fine. There are younger people with heart damage and other secondary effects weeks after infection. COVID isn't the flu. Amazing I have to say this in fucking August.

Also 2.7% of 170,000 is 4,500 dead young people. If a terrorist killed 4,500 young people, this country would go apeshit.
Bring Covid to heel? What are you talking about?

Which other diseases are you going to end this week?

As to the fear mongering over what you have to say in August, the study of misunderstanding I've posted already addressed that in the conclusion:

From a public interest perspective, we believe the top priority should be better information and a less partisan, more fact-based public debate. It is shocking that six months into the pandemic so many people still ignore the basic mortality statistics, with perceived risk driven by political leanings rather than individual age and health. Misperceptions of risk distort both individual behavior and policy decisions.

The fact that a large share of the population overestimates the COVID-19 danger to the young will make a targeted public health response more difficult to agree on. We think it is also likely to delay the recovery, causing a deeper and prolonged recession.

Tranquility,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Kids may play large role in spreading COVID-19, new MGH study finds

A study released overnight from Mass General Hospital finds children may play a large role in spreading COVID-19 because many won't show symptoms.

Researchers tested 192 kids for the coronavirus at MGH and Mass General Hospital for Children.

They said 49 tested positive for the virus and 18 had late-onset, coronavirus-related illness. Most did not have symptoms. Those that did had a runny nose, cough, slight fever.

macbill,

Tranquility

Science has brought plenty of diseases 'to heel'.

Carrying on as normal never has.
Has it ever brought a coronavirus to heel?
Infuenza virus?

The virus we have brought to heel is Variola major and minor (aka smallpox).

Will we try to bring the flu to heel this winter?

Tranquility,

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Has it ever brought a coronavirus to heel?
Infuenza virus?

The virus we have brought to heel is Variola major and minor (aka smallpox).

Will we try to bring the flu to heel this winter?

What percentage of deaths has Vietnam got? What percentage of deaths has NZ got?

You've moved my goalposts by trying a 'yes but corona!', so I'll move yours by trying a 'depends how you define heel'. Those countries enacted policies based on science and have had something of a successful 'heeling' in comparison to other countries. Certainly in comparison to the states and the UK. South Korea is another.

Cue moving goal posts about those countries being oh so very different and not comparable to american exceptionalism.

But again, such a claim would be missing my point.

My point was that its not complete insanity to think science may get a grip on this one way or another, and that decrying someone even suggesting such a thing is garbage proven by our lifespan and sciences track record.

Yes, I can point out a number of diseases its never got on top of but again, besides the point.

EDIT: As for the flu and this winter, yes there will be attempts to find a vaccine for current and new flu's. Its standard practice. I thought that was fairly common knowledge.

NINE CASES IN A DAY. This headline is garbage, the daily mail is garbage, apologies for the daily mail video...

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
9 reasons you can be optimistic that a vaccine for COVID-19 will be widely available in 2021

Here is where the current research stands, where I think we will be in five months and why you can be optimistic about the delivery of a COVID-19 vaccine.

==============================================================================================
2,700 evangelicals warn against politicizing coronavirus, urge Christians to take vaccine
A coalition of more than 2,700 high-profile evangelicals spanning the fields of science and religion have signed onto a statement billed “A Christian Statement on Science for Pandemic Times,” which warns against the politicization of the new coronavirus and urges Christians to take appropriate action against it, including taking a vaccine when it’s ready.

Last edited:

yogurtsauce

The flu is hard to vaccinate because the virus has such a short lifespan that it evolves so quickly. Each generation leads to a chance of a trait being passed on that allows the virus to have a higher chance of living, evolution. Measles has no evolved because it never had to chance to. It was eradicated until recently. The people currently with measles have a chance to evolve it, possibly allowing it to evolve past the vaccine and infecting those who are vaccinated. Measles vaccine 100% effective rate. Flu ~30%.

Stop comparing covid to anything. Because nothing is covid, only covid is covid. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom