Cover Tunes

bhasma

All the Young Dudes was recorded by Mott the Hoople in May 1972, but it was written and produced by David Bowie: "It was the first song I'd written for somebody else. I thought they were a very good band. I told them I'd write them a hit single. And I did. It was easy." Then Bowie recorded (but didn't release) his own version in December 1972. So is this a cover tune?

The story of the song is well told here:
https://gmarlowe.medium.com/all-the-young-dudes-cd03e8436ffe

David Bowie covers The Easybeats
Friday On My Mind

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
LOVE Tim! I've had the good fortune of seeing him perform (and meeting/talking at him :rolleyes:) many times since his "start" in the 90... basically watched him evolve musically and subsequently grow old (together as were about the same age):

Tim Easton - Five Years (David Bowie)

Tim Easton played a cover of 'Five Years' by David Bowie for The Influences.
Filmed in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Filmed by Matthijs van der Ven. Audio recorded & mixed by Matthijs van der Ven.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
G'head and try to do it... I betcha can't keep up with the (then quite old) Master...:brow::

J-O-H-N-N-Y C-A-S-H - I've Been Everywhere - With Lyrics
I've been trying for YEARS (since it was released, in fact, as it also was a holiday or b-day gift from dead "Crazy Dave") and still always fuckup in multiple spots.... grrrr!

Enjoy your day (or night), Everyone! ✌️

bhasma

Geoff "Tangletongue" Mack wrote and performed I've Been Everywhere in 1959, and the original Australian version was released in 1962 by Lucky Starr, and at the same time Hank Snow released his version which was later covered by Johnny Cash. Seven versions of I've Been Everywhere were written by Mack for different countries, and the song has been covered more than 130 times. The New Zealand version was sent via telegram to John Hore Grenell who released I've Been Everywhere in 1966.

Top Bottom