Could this be the end of mandatory minimums for nonviolent drug offenders?

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
From what I have been able to discern, the federal attorney general for the United States seems to be preparing a major policy change that he is set to outline tonight at the American Bar Association meeting. According to the Washington post, Eric Holder will be announcing that low level, nonviolent drug offenders without gang affiliations will no longer be prosecuted under charges that impose a mandatory minimum sentence.

All of the actual details are still in question, specifically what constitutes a non-violent offender or gang affiliations, but this seems to me to be indicative that the hard line stance taken by the judicial systems in America is starting to wash away.

I am very hopeful that these changes are put in place. More needs to be done, no doubt - but this is a major sign that change is still possible.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
No doubt Things are looking a little brighter , still a long road ahead for reform . Nice to see a step in the right direction .

RUDE BOY,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
IMO we need to change the laws, not settle for one administration or one AG not enforcing them...

that's not to say i disagree with the others who posted,

I just don't want to see a new administration come into power and choose what laws to enforce, and end up re-enforcing the laws that should be changed.

Top Bottom