Cotton Swabs (Q-Tips) - Safety, Materials, Thoughts, ...

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've been pondering lately, what exactly are the cotton swabs/q-tips I'm using made of? Obviously 100% cotton for the tip ... and some sort of paper for the "stick" ... so the main thing that I was thinking about was the adhesive that holds the cotton to the "stick"

Did some quick research, and didn't locate the adhesive for PC cotton swabs (President's Choice), but q-tip brand ones do list it in their FAQ as being Methocel:

https://www.qtips.com/faq/

As far as I can tell, this product which is derived from pine pulp, should be safe, although I didn't find anything specific to safety if heated to 400-600F plus ...

Here's the link to the MSDS for Methocel:

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_08e5/0901b803808e5f58.pdf?filepath=dowwolff/pdfs/noreg/198-02289.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

JCat

Accessory Maker
Its as spooky as one wants it to be, for myself cotton swab adhesive is way down on the list but we are all different and right unto ourselves.
Not spooked ... but curious ... not sure intended use of q-tips was to swab up stuff on a 500F heated dish. I'm just surprised I haven't heard anyone else address this. I know cotton isn't going to off-gas anything dangerous or leave any dangerous residues, however, melting glue onto a heated dish that I use to vaporize off of ... I'd like to know that said glue is safe or that it leaves no residue.

Vaporizing adhesives depending on the adhesive would definitely not be safe, and could be right up there with smoking plastic ... just saying ... I don't think it's an issue based on the MSDS sheet, but not 100% sure, so thought I'd throw that out there in case some one had some information or had looked into this already.

I definitely want to know for sure, as I do find myself going through a good 20-40 cotton swabs per day.

JCat,

JigMelon

Yea, I go through a lot as well. Too many to ever consider the large ones. Got any thoughts on alternatives?

JigMelon,

MinnBobber

For cleaning reclaim from a hydratube, for example, I've taken a Q-tip AND wrapped degummed hemp fiber around the tip which makes a slightly bigger tip BUT with the hemp fiber----which I then can vape with a "clear conscience" . VS a stock Q-tip cotton (even organic)--isn't it attached with glue?

So this is just for much lower temps VS dabing and quick swabbing hot metal/glass temps. Not sure how hemp fiber would work for that. Anyone tried it?

MinnBobber,
Reactions: JigMelon

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
Its as spooky as one wants it to be, for myself cotton swab adhesive is way down on the list but we are all different and right unto ourselves.

I agree here. When would that adhesive in the tip of the qtip heat up to 400F while your inhaling? If your wiping your inserts off with it, i would not expect the adhesive to melt and stay on the insert walls to cause unwanted gas offs. If any of it did melt off, i would expect it to burn off at 400+F.

Just thinking out loud while not STONED. so im not sure if im making any sense.

Last edited:

JigMelon

@ginolicious That makes way too much sense.... I'm going to buy some this weekend and I'll try it out with some tweezers. Good call!

@MinnBobber Hemp fiber is a great idea, too. However... it uses more time and money.

@Shooby Great point. Maybe we should contact manufacturers and ask about their glue.

JigMelon,
Top Bottom