Corona Vaping

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I like this chart for understanding the level of risk based on things we do know about...

Viruses_with_corona_update_covid.jpg

Planck

believes in Dog
Canada just creates the virus in a lab in Toronto and is doing testing on it to see how it can be treated. Funny it was created in a lab yesterday. I wonder if it came from a lab originally?

http://globalnews.ca/news/6670445/canada-research-coronavirus-isolated/

also how the virus works: https://www.livescience.com/how-coronavirus-infects-cells.html
It was not (re)created, the article clearly states it was isolated and cultured in a lab in Toronto. Even your link says isolated.

virtualpurple

People with flu,” explains senior author Donald K. Milton, professor of environmental health at the University of Maryland, “generate infectious aerosols (tiny droplets that stay suspended in the air for a long time) even when they are not coughing, and especially during the first days of illness.”

The common belief is that flu is spread through coughs and sneezes from infected individuals and from touching surfaces contaminated with the virus.

However, the new study reveals that people with the flu can shed the infectious virus into the air around them just by breathing.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320690

you know, you are correct that there’s been some recent change of thought the last several years this here and there is now the believe that fine aerosol particulate can help transmit.

I should have phrased it a bit differently. However, all the hospitals that I know of still recommend droplet precautions rather than airborne precautions with regards to influenza, as it is thought that the droplets May remain airborne within the same room as a patient for a time, but does not run an appreciable risk of traveling between rooms and through the ventilation systems.

perhaps further studies will change that in the future.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/infectioncontrol/healthcaresettings.htm

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Stu - The company I sub to that sent me the Stanford info below has told us that we should not take it as gospel since there are truths combined with falsehoods. Would it be possible to remove the Stanford portion of the post and leave the rest? If need be you could remove the entire post.

@uncanni - thank you for raising the concern on the validity of that Stanford text.

Here's some info my company sent that may help:
Subject: Stanford Notes on Coronavirus

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS:
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs,
causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

His_Highness,

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I’m in Canada too. And everything is closing down. I know Trump just declared a national emergency. People should just stay home and let this thing pass is all.
My sister works for a university that is shut down, but she is a janitor so she has to continue going in. I am an educator, but not in a school, so while schools are closed down here, we will stay open and likely extend our hours to help families. Staying home is simply not an option for some people. Think of everyone in the medical field, for instance.

ginolicious

My sister works for a university that is shut down, but she is a janitor so she has to continue going in. I am an educator, but not in a school, so while schools are closed down here, we will stay open and likely extend our hours to help families. Staying home is simply not an option for some people. Think of everyone in the medical field, for instance.

I know. A lot of people can’t stay home. My parents work in the hospital. And I have to go to the court house daily to run trials. It’s no good. I want to hide in my basement now.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I know. A lot of people can’t stay home. My parents work in the hospital. And I have to go to the court house daily to run trials. It’s no good. I want to hide in my basement now.
I'm ready to go to work and do what I do until I can't do it. I'm not looking forward to getting that ill, so I'll take every precaution I can, but I can't control other people.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
One thing to keep in mind that makes c19 different from the flu is the tricky incubation time. 2 weeks before symptoms possibly even show up is a long time. This combined with the fact that there's no herd imnunity against c19 yet is what should make us aware.

While I don't think panicking is a good idea in any situation, I don't like to see this crisis being played down by juggling with statistics (btw a very tricky subject by itself). It's serious. Sitting on a pile of toilet paper with two pumpguns won't help but it's serious.

His_Highness

The amount of mis-information out there is astonishing. If you've frequented this thread early on you may have seen a info packet that was forwarded to me claiming to be from Stanford that turned out to be a combination of falsehoods mixed in with the truth. You can't help but wonder WHY the source of that information would make it their business to deceive like that.

From now on I'm taking my info from Dr. Fauci and other "Credentialed Doctors" and if the info is in written form I'm either going to ignore it or verify the source. I'm throwing out the "trust but verify" approach and going straight to "verify" unless it's the spoken word and even then I'm applying the smell test. The amount of disinformation that has come from well known individuals has contributed to the panic feeling because everyone starts to doubt everything. Unfortunately even those who are experts in this area can be caught up in things like politics and I've seen some squirming when the choice of speaking the truth or contradicting a party line comes up.

The U.S. is playing catch up relative to testing so we don't know the whole story of where the U.S. stands which also contributes to the panic feeling and stress. The irony is that stress does affect the immune system so the stress of this situation compounded by the uncertainty associated with the contradictions exacerbates the situation.

We haven't even gotten to the half-time show yet and debating the data for typical flu versus corona is ridiculous considering that the flu data is the only complete data source.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
@Stu - The company I sub to that sent me the Stanford info below has told us that we should not take it as gospel since there are truths combined with falsehoods. Would it be possible to remove the Stanford portion of the post and leave the rest? If need be you could remove the entire post.
I struck out the text per your request. Please check that I got it alll.

:peace:

His_Highness

I struck out the text per your request. Please check that I got it alll.

My bad Stu - I should have said "Please remove everything from the first mention of Standford to the end of the post". Please strike through everything below what you've already striked through to the end of that post.

I can't thank you enough @Stu. I hate the idea that I could hurt someone with that kind of bad info.

ginolicious

Karma isn’t instant boys. Sometimes it takes years for it to come back and bite you. What you put out will come back to you. Taking advantage in a time of need will stir the universe in a bad way for you.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
My bad Stu - I should have said "Please remove everything from the first mention of Standford to the end of the post". Please strike through everything below what you've already striked through to the end of that post.

I can't thank you enough @Stu. I hate the idea that I could hurt someone with that kind of bad info.
Fixed. ;)

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
The karma police aren't exactly diligent. Bad shit happens to the just and the unjust...it's hard for me to trust in that sort of thing. Plenty of wicked people actually thrive

Until someone provides a Haynes manual for 'the universe' and a karma mechanic who doesnt charge and 6 arms and a leg, I'm gonna...

Nope, no idea what any of us are talking about now :)

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Meet the asshole that removed all those hand sanitizers that people needed.

merlin_170438451_dd144ae2-8cd3-4d76-9196-7c12518b53a4-superJumbo.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

If not him, other assholes like him. Price gouging is illegal Whiner!

My favorite part of this article is this quote “But I’m not looking to be in a situation where I make the front page of the news for being that guy who hoarded 20,000 bottles of sanitizer that I’m selling for 20 times what they cost me.” What are you doing then by being the feature of this article?

Top Bottom