Concentrate device for daily use.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
We have been talking about whether new empty carts should or can be cleaned before using. I have always tended to clean anything I was going to breath through before using it as long as it is possible and not detrimental to the product. Many products, especially those machined, may have residue or machine oil from the building process and that is likely not healthy to ingest.
Oh, I see... sorry for not reading back more closely.

These came prefilled with live resin, do you take these apart (the mp and such), as well, and clean, or only if you buy them empty?

I've never seen these "all ceramic" carts available empty... though I did buy a bunch of CCells (TH-??) 1gm an 0.5gm carts years ago and filled them (without cleaning the atomizers) a couple of times each and they never clogged, hit fine and tasted ok...

I think many people get shitty carts filled with shitty product ('hotdog water' anyone?) and then think ALL carts suck and taste bad...

About as smart as saying ALL flower vapes suck and taste bad.... on a cannabis VAPING forum, no less... derp.

Last edited:
Bologna,

strech

I'm not a huge fan of carts but do enjoy the easy of use they offer. I go through one a month or bit less. I've only bought and used prefilled carts. Usually 1/2 grams.

With that said should I be worried that the cart wasn't cleaned before it was filled??

strech,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
We have been talking about whether new empty carts should or can be cleaned before using. I have always tended to clean anything I was going to breath through before using it as long as it is possible and not detrimental to the product. Many products, especially those machined, may have residue or machine oil from the building process and that is likely not healthy to ingest.

Yes, we were discussing EMPTY CARTS. You don’t get a choice of cartridge with a dispensary pre-filled cart, and most likely some use lower quality carts to increase profit. So I don’t see much logic discussing pre-fills.

So far by lurking on sites that CART FARM, and these folks buy carts by the thousands. Some reported having to AIR BLOW OUT, some cart orders, as they appeared to have some dust. I did not find anything about WET WASHING new carts.

As I mentioned earlier, my interest is doing a some kind of cleaning BETWEEN FILLING a REFILLABLE cart. Haven’t found much on using an ultrasonic cleaning unit, but did read that the CAVITATION bubbles, might degrade or break off some of the porous ceramic wick.

Since the SPRK cartridges supposedly have NO COTTON WRAP, so it MIGHT be safer to do the ISO soak between refills, after the 2nd refill.

Because the OIL is a lot more EXPENSIVE then a $3 cart, I will use a NEW one after 3 refills.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: cybrguy

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
You don’t get a choice of cartridge with a dispensary pre-filled cart, and most likely some use lower quality carts to increase profit. So I don’t see much logic discussing pre-fills.
This is not my experience in a heavily regulated market... many medical dispensary carts I've encountered are CCell or some other well known brand and they often make it known they are legit and of course, EVERYTHING gets tested for EVERYTHING, at least here anyway...

These ceramic carts unscrew... but seeing as they say they are made for a specific viscosity, refilling sounds potentially very annoying...

maybe I'll do a mini teardown when I finish one and see what's in there....

But yeah, I stopped looking into buying empty carts and filling/refilling them a few years ago... never really seemed worth the bother...

Last edited:
Bologna,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Because the OIL is a lot more EXPENSIVE then a $3 cart, I will use a NEW one after 3 refills.
I guess that is the real thing. They aren't expensive enough to use over and over even if they are cleanable. A couple or 3 times should be more than enough. And buying a better cart like the SPRK ones as opposed to something like the Rick one I posted above has got to be safer and more reliable. If I find I am doing this a lot I'll probably get a few more to have around.

@strech "With that said should I be worried that the cart wasn't cleaned before it was filled??"

I think you have to trust the vendor at some point. I would think a vendor selling filled carts is almost forced to considering their safety these days...

Last edited:
cybrguy,

RustyOldNail

This is not my experience in a heavily regulated market... many medical dispensary carts I've encountered are CCell or some other well known brand and they often make it known they are legit and of course, EVERYTHING gets tested for EVERYTHING, at least here anyway...

These ceramic carts unscrew... but seeing as they say they are made for a specific viscosity, refilling sounds potentially very annoying...

maybe I'll do a mini teardown when I finish one and what's in there....

But yeah, I stopped looking into buying empty carts and filling/refilling them a few years ago... never really seemed worth the bother...

Right, but you don’t get to CHOOSE, the brand of cartridge, and they are probably snap-cap single use disposables.

And the oil-distillate viscosity flow rates are mainly determined by the size, shape, and how many FEED HOLES.

So when buying EMPTY CARTS, one should MATCH the liquids viscosity to the carts abilities! The SPRK carts are indeed designed for thick THC distillate. Some empty carts are specially designed for even thicker waxy blends, have more and larger feed holes. The ohms a coil is rated for, as well as the VOLTAGE/WATTAGE your battery is set to, are factors as well.

So like most devices, there are lots of VARIABLES.

RustyOldNail,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Right, but you don’t get to CHOOSE, the brand of cartridge, and they are probably snap-cap single use disposables.

And the oil-distillate viscosity flow rates are mainly determined by the size, shape, and how many FEED HOLES.

So when buying EMPTY CARTS, one should MATCH the liquids viscosity to the carts abilities! The SPRK carts are indeed designed for thick THC distillate. Some empty carts are specially designed for even thicker waxy blends, have more and larger feed holes. The ohms a coil is rated for, as well as the VOLTAGE/WATTAGE your battery is set to, are factors as well.

So like most devices, there are lots of VARIABLES.
You get to choose by looking at it and deciding to buy it... or you can look elsewhere for places that carry carts you're ok with and buy those... Yes, some use the the non-refillable, pressed-on kind, particularly when the batteries are also attached, but my experience is exactly what I said, and many places use, and advertise that they use, quality, legit brand carts that usually unscrew...

As for the rest/info, I hear ya and appreciate it, but I went thru all this like 3 years ago... I was never looking to refill these particular ceramic ones, or fill/refill any really, more just wondering if anyone else has seen them or knows anything about them... and the answer is 'no'. ha... :peace:

Edit: And to add to all this, I'm not by any means a huge cart fan. They fit a very specific use scenario for me and are used relatively infrequently compared to most all other products.

Last edited:
Bologna,

RustyOldNail

You get to choose by looking at it and deciding to buy it... or you can look elsewhere for places that carry carts you're ok with and buy those... Yes, some use the the non-refillable, pressed-on kind, particularly when the batteries are also attached, but my experience is exactly what I said, and many places use, and advertise that they use, quality, legit brand carts that usually unscrew...

As for the rest/info, I hear ya and appreciate it, but I went thru all this like 3 years ago... I was never looking to refill these particular ceramic ones, or fill/refill any really, more just wondering if anyone else has seen them or knows anything about them... and the answer is 'no'. ha... :peace:

Edit: And to add to all this, I'm not by any means a huge cart fan. They fit a very specific use scenario for me and are used relatively infrequently compared to most all other products.

Agreed, but since I don’t have access yet, to dispensaries, I’m left to filling my own carts, and there are some newer carts available now, that weren’t around 3 years ago. I use these in my pain arsenal, just another tool, though one of the smallest, and stealthy you can carry.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Bologna

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Right. I don't use carts for daily use, I much prefer flower. I use them when I want to be stealthy or for easy use out and about. I worry about building tolerances and causing my habit/hobby/inebriate to go up dramatically in price, so I will stick to flower when I can. Most days I consume way below a gram of flower. I consider myself a microdoser, but probably (no certainly) not in the class of @pakalolo or other serious players.

RustyOldNail

Right. I don't use carts for daily use, I much prefer flower. I use them when I want to be stealthy or for easy use out and about. I worry about building tolerances and causing my habit/hobby/inebriate to go up dramatically in price, so I will stick to flower when I can. Most days I consume way below a gram of flower. I consider myself a microdoser, but probably (no certainly) not in the class of @pakalolo or other serious players.

Carts have their place. I try to learn as much as I can, when trying new devices, and delivery systems. I know a decent amount on ECig atomizers, these carts are basically the same tech in a tiny size, but there are noticeable differences which I’ve been learning recently.

RustyOldNail,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I managed to quit smoking cigs before the vaping thing got big so I was able to skip that hobby horse, thank goodness.

cybrguy,

btka

You can use a regular Ccell if the rosin is good enough and been prepared correctly
hmm mostly flower rosin... nothing fancy (like fresh frozen rosin or so)... tried jar tech and so but was not very sucsessful with using it in ccell (viscosity was not right, experience was not good)... also never find really clear instructions for it, but they mostly use fresh frozen flower, I do not have the equipment for fresh freezing and also not the amount to experiment and so... and I do not want to change viscosity with other products (mixing)...

I am dreaming of a cart for normal rosin with the same experience and comfort like with normal ccells... but seems there is nothing coming... only for mods (they are to big for my prefarance then the batteries for the ccell carts... and also mostly not looking discreet... and also not so good working...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
hmm mostly flower rosin... nothing fancy (like fresh frozen rosin or so)... tried jar tech and so but was not very sucsessful with using it in ccell (viscosity was not right, experience was not good)... also never find really clear instructions for it, but they mostly use fresh frozen flower, I do not have the equipment for fresh freezing and also not the amount to experiment and so... and I do not want to change viscosity with other products (mixing)...

I am dreaming of a cart for normal rosin with the same experience and comfort like with normal ccells... but seems there is nothing coming... only for mods (they are to big for my prefarance then the batteries for the ccell carts... and also mostly not looking discreet... and also not so good working...

Flower rosin is way too contaminated to work well in a cartridge. I don't even dab it anymore IMHO.

I think a lot of people want the same thing as you, but it's just too complicated to execute. The viscosity thing is a major issue if you want something to perform with the ease of use and discretion of a Ccell.

The closest thing I could see working for flower rosin is the now defunct Hercules from W9 Tech, but it's definitely not super discrete or simple to use.

You could load rosin in any small wax pen, like the Puffco Plus, but you would want to Q tip it to keep the gunk from burning on to the ceramic plate. I'm assuming you don't really want to swab the reclaim after each load though, right? This always goes back to the same issue - try to invent some hyper complicated wax device that works with any consistency but still needs residual maintenance; versus processing the extract into something clean enough to just work in the same $1 cartridges everyone already uses.

Making a great cartridge at home is pretty challenging, without the right equipment and the material to practice on its hard to really get any experience. I just buy them at the dispensary now, not worth the hassle. I usually prefer live resin cartridges as they are much more affordable than live rosin carts, and I think they are a little easier to work in ccells.

Me and MaxVapor talked about building a high performance load as you go pen style atomizer a few years ago. I don't think the market is very big for it though cause average users would be content with the pens already on the market, and heavier users would rather have the surface area of a box mod atomizer, so we abandoned it.

btka

Flower rosin is way too contaminated to work well in a cartridge. I don't even dab it anymore IMHO.

I think a lot of people want the same thing as you, but it's just too complicated to execute. The viscosity thing is a major issue if you want something to perform with the ease of use and discretion of a Ccell.

The closest thing I could see working for flower rosin is the now defunct Hercules from W9 Tech, but it's definitely not super discrete or simple to use.

You could load rosin in any small wax pen, like the Puffco Plus, but you would want to Q tip it to keep the gunk from burning on to the ceramic plate. I'm assuming you don't really want to swab the reclaim after each load though, right? This always goes back to the same issue - try to invent some hyper complicated wax device that works with any consistency but still needs residual maintenance; versus processing the extract into something clean enough to just work in the same $1 cartridges everyone already uses.

Making a great cartridge at home is pretty challenging, without the right equipment and the material to practice on its hard to really get any experience. I just buy them at the dispensary now, not worth the hassle. I usually prefer live resin cartridges as they are much more affordable than live rosin carts, and I think they are a little easier to work in ccells.

Me and MaxVapor talked about building a high performance load as you go pen style atomizer a few years ago. I don't think the market is very big for it though cause average users would be content with the pens already on the market, and heavier users would rather have the surface area of a box mod atomizer, so we abandoned it.
You are right with flower rosin in my opinion...

Yes think hercules and wax pens are not for me...

Yes making at home your own cart is challenging and not really worth it I think... where I live there is not a chance to get prefilled carts (not legal)...

I think there is a market for this, there are a lot of people with rosin presses, and I think most of people using wax pens or mods would also like the comfort and ease of carts, maybe in countries or states where it is legal demand would not be so high, but not sure about that either...
viscosity you could overcome with a battery which is heating around the cart so your rosin get s thinner or so (I only guess or dream).. and the a special cart system for rosin (big intake holes maybe not using cotton who knows... but to be honest real innovations in the vapor market did not happen in the past years... maybe not big enough market... biggest innovation was bluetooth connectivity (and to be honest this is not important for me/my use)...

BTW I liked the concept of terp pen but was not so happy about the performance (sometimes really good sometimes bad) and the coils also did not last long...

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Paired with a small mod like the Vaporesso Target Mini and with the outer shield removed (and a "custom" mp) it's pretty similar in size than many setups. As well it's not so difficult to use, just remenber to continue to pull for 2-3s after you released the button and it's enough.
Mine is my most used concentrate setup, nothing can match the clouds production imo, taste is not on the level of a clean banger but it's really better than a cart or most vape pens, at least with my homemade concentrate, I never tested any other concentrate appart imported hasch and a friend's wax contamined at F* with tane, lipids, cat's hairs,.... Although after years I perfected my extractions and get some amazing bho. I'm doing some little rosin too but like @invertedisdead said it's too much contamined to be worst the try, next year harvest will see me to test bubble H extraction prior to press it for rosin... or not (I bet I will hesitate a lot to press it if it appears the bubble hasch to be good).

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I had a pretty good experience with putting the FSHO from Aeriz in an empty cart. I bought a few to try and like the SPRK ceramic one a lot. Unfortunately I have been having a little trouble getting more of the FSHO.

cybrguy,

strech

I had a pretty good experience with putting the FSHO from Aeriz in an empty cart. I bought a few to try and like the SPRK ceramic one a lot. Unfortunately I have been having a little trouble getting more of the FSHO.
Have you looked on iheartjane.com ???

strech,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
No, but I don't have a med card. But I see I can find it on there. Maybe some of those places are rec also.

cybrguy,

Texus

No, but I don't have a med card. But I see I can find it on there. Maybe some of those places are rec also.
Many rec options on iheartjane. My go-to place to search around Chciagoland, and then I check Dispensary 33 who is not part of iheartjane network.

Texus,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just FYI, I had loaded that SPRK Ceramic cart with about 1/4g of that fsho. Took a few hits from it and it worked very well. As I don't use the carts that much I put it aside (with the Uni Pro magnetic adapter attached) standing up.
I went back to it yesterday as I wanted to take it out to a friends, and it had almost completely drained out. The goods were unrecoverable.

I don't really know if it was the cart or the adapter that was responsible but it was a very sad result. Live and learn...

cybrguy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think it was a mistake to leave the magnetic adapter connected when I wasn't intending to use it soon. I didn't want to lay it on it's side, but I should have pulled the adapter off.

cybrguy,

RustyOldNail

Not all distillate carts are created equal. In fact the size and amount of the oil feedholes, are matched to the viscosity of the oil being used. The SPRK carts are designed for THICK distillate, thinner oils etc. might leak out. Taking the top off a cart and changing the inner pressure can also cause leaking.

RustyOldNail,
Top Bottom