Cleaning my Arizer Air

ffmdude

Hey folks, first of all I´m sorry if this question may be asked often, but i can´t find any sort of answer to my topic so here it goes. I read often that isopropyl is recommended for cleaning. I have a bottle of ethanol 70% (or 140 proof), can I use that trouble free or should I buy some isopropyl?

ffmdude,

balarama

Ethanol is equally good for cleaning glass, just let it soak for an hour or more, should work well.

balarama,

OF

Assuming you're talking about the stems (and there's little else to clean/worry about) 140 proof ETOH will work but not really all that well. Too much water. 90 or better still 95% or higher will do much better as a solvent. You can, of course, evaporate off the alcohol and 'reclaim' the condensate.

However, I strongly suggest you consider "Powdered Brewery Wash", a super detergent designed to clean brew kettles and plumbing in Breweries (Coors paid for it). Stuff is just short of amazing IMO. You can watch as the 'oxygen action' literally floats contamination off the glass (remember, it's designed to remove baked on hydrocarbon 'junk' (just like we have.....) in places you can't scrub).

You can get it at home brewery supply shops (go figure....), and 'online' even Amazon. There's a great thread on it specifically. BTW a spoon full in the dishwasher removes the 'haze' of water deposits.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/

Regards,

OF

OF,
Top Bottom