1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Clarified butter: thoughts, opinions, experiences for Cannabutter

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by 710420, Jul 22, 2014.

1. 710420

710420 United we stand, divided we fall.

I have been reading a lot about how everyone has their ways with making cannabutter, and just recently read that if you clarify your butter you will receive a more potent cannabutter. I believe they said badkittysmiles stated don't add water to the butter and bud mixture. the reason for water was to control temps.

Any thoughts on this?

SSVUN~YAH and 215z like this.
  2. 215z

215z Well-Known Member

It stands to reason that this is true.

Butter contains water, fat, casein (milk sugar), and milk proteins. Ghee (clarified butter) is mostly fat. Cannabinoids dissolve in the fat and not in any other component of butter.

I'm not sure how it matters to the end user. In your recipe, you would use less ghee than butter by weight or volume.

3. 710420

The only real way to find out is to test both variables I guess. Thank you Z

GrilledGoat likes this.
  4. 710420

soy lecithin just came in yesterday from amazon! Looks like the edibles will commence this weekend. Looking forward to it. I will keep everyone interested posted.

just finished making some cookies about 1 hour ago. used the soy lecithin. I decarb the bud for 20 minutes @220 degrees. Used only 4 grams for a whole stick of butter. I made 12 cookies. Took one about 35 min ago. I will keep you guys updated on how good the cookies are. I have ate cookies before and I don't feel them as much as my other friends do. let you guys know how it works out.

1 cookie wasn't enough for me........:doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    215z and Puffers like this.
  5. AlexisSmith67

AlexisSmith67 Member

I believe clarified butter means that all of the water was cooked off leaving you with pure butter fat. So if you cook your herb in clarified butter... well... you do the math haha.

Personally regular ABV butter is pretty intense for me so I couldn't imagine how intense the clarified butter would be. It sounds like the BHO of edibles haha

6. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

My method.
    I have used this method once a week for 40 years.
    It is very effective.
    Butter:
    unsalted butter.. 4 bars (1 pound)
    cook on low in crock pot with a quart of water, and one full ounce of well ground bud.
    cook 12 hours stirring once an hour (and scraping sides of crockpot downwards.)
    filter through regular strainer. pour into graduated measuring cup, and refridge overnight.
    remove plug in morning and scrape away any residual weed at plug bottom.
    Weigh the plug.. it will be as low as 225 grams (1 cup) eevn though you started with 2 cups...
    this is because you clarified the waters and milk solids out of it by cooking so long at low heat.
    You will base recipe on 1 cup... meaning you will use 225 grams of the butter (your butter may actually weigh up to 375 grams.. the more reduced the stronger.)

1/2 cup recipe is 110 grams of butter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done Butter!

[​IMG]

Crohnie, Phizix, t-dub and 4 others like this.
  7. AlexisSmith67

AlexisSmith67 Member

Holy Mother of God your stuff looks much more potent than the ABV butter I have in my fridge.
    Enjoy the ride my friend :brow:

Seren and Vitolo like this.
  8. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

[​IMG]
    How about a green cannabutter pastry with an added half ounce of finely dusted ABV mixed in?
    [​IMG]
    work it.....
    [​IMG]

I am not sure if I needed that 2nd piece!
    [​IMG]

9. 710420

Check this story out......about a month ago I made some cookies with my grandmother, for my grandfather who has cancer. About 3.5 grams of good high grade for a stick of butter . made 12 cookies. I ate the first cookie but didn't do much to me, really nothing just a yawning session for like 30 min. Anyways...about a week after making the cookies my grandmother decided to eat a cookie before bedtime. She didn't tell anyone about her eating the cookie until she started feeling high from it.

My mom calls me about 11 at night with the fear of god in hear voice telling me I have to come over my grandmothers house because she cant breathe. I fly over there, in my car,to find out, on the way over there, that she ate a cookie and they called 911 because she was uncontrollable!! 70 yrs old and she is tripping out!

I couldn't go inside the house with the ambulance in front of the house so I waited, surprisingly took about 5 minutes of waiting. After they left I went inside and saw everyone in her house crying because she was FUCKED UP! Her high lasted about 3 hours. She fell asleep like a baby. I got some footage on my phone but I wont post it. If you guys could only see it! Funny as hell.

1 fucking cookie?? nooooooo. I don't believe it. I ate 5 of them and I was somewhat fucked up for about 2 hrs but it wasn't much. For me I need to make some 1 gram cookies for me.

Vitolo! I love it!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    CarolKing, nanobanano and Vitolo like this.
  10. hd_rider

hd_rider Well-Known Member

Is there a recipe for making butter using kief? I'm having trouble locating anything consistent on the web. I've seen everything from 1 gram per stick of butter to as much as four grams of kief per stick of butter.

Vitolo likes this.
  11. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I use 5 grams of kief per stick.
    that is 20 grams per pound.
    I do not cook it the same way....
    cooking butter is so you can eliminate plant matter and get just constituents.
    I melt the butter, and while it is melted and heated (NO WATER)
    I stir in the kief.
    I cook for an hour like that... then I pour.
    I whip it well at room temperature to be certain all is blended, then I refrigerate.

More Medibles images:
    [​IMG]
    ABV pastry, next to ABV Firecrackers

[​IMG]
    Fruity rice krispy treats

[​IMG]
    Butterscotch bites

[​IMG]
    Caramels

[​IMG]
    Golden Cannabutter squares

[​IMG]
    Hard candies a cookin'

[​IMG]
    Snowballs

[​IMG]
    More snowballs

[​IMG]
    buterscotch square

[​IMG]
    Variety is the spice......

[​IMG]
    Rice krispy squares with a swirl

[​IMG]
    Coconut!!

[​IMG]
    OK... these are my ABSOLUTE favorites... Pfefferneus!

[​IMG]
    Cannagingerbread with a tincture drip topping!

[​IMG]
    Chocolate Peanut Butter surprise

[​IMG]
    Canna-Fudge

[​IMG]
    Double Dare cookies

[​IMG]
    Just-a-cookie Sugar Cookies

[​IMG]
    ABV giants (60 grams of ABV each.. that is about 20 doses for each cookie)

SEEN enough??
    I know I have!
    [​IMG]
    Blueberry delight cookie... made with Blueberry Yum/Blue dream butter.

My traditional method of making and clarifying butter takes half a day.
    I have made a dozen batches a year for 40 years.
    I used the Magical Butter machine for 4 batches this year, and it was OK, but the traditional method makes the medibles so much more effective, that I went back to the old method.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  12. fft

fft Well-Known Member

I use clarified butter pretty consistently. I just made a batch today and took care to weigh everything - I used a lb (454g) of unsalted butter and when I was done was left with 353g of clarified butter. At the very least, I've improved the concentration of my eventual extract by ~25% just by taking the water and solids out of the equation. Since the water and solids dont absorb the cannagoodies and just gets in the way when I extract, there might also be an improvement in the efficiency of extraction.

The other reason to use clarified butter is if you are doing your extraction above 212F. If you use regular butter at these temps you run the risk of burning the solids. Clarified butter has a much higher smoke point than regular butter (>400F) so you dont have to worry when using it.

Finally, for general cooking purposes its nice to have clarified butter around. Use it instead of regular butter when frying / sautéing.

Here's a old NYT article I pulled up that provides more general info on clarified butter, including a basic recipe...

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes....-clarified-butter/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

CarolKing, krusht, 215z and 1 other person like this.
  13. nanobanano

nanobanano New Member

I got one of those canna butter machines and it works great. I just put everything in and 2 hours later the buzzer goes off. Strain it. Done.

14. krusht

krusht Well-Known Member

I got lots of opinion, 'cause I've had a huge lotta fun w/edibles, but a couple of points are needed - 1st - if using butter, it really should be unsalted; clarified butter is good -aka ghee - it is often served w/lobster - but for the best of healthy baking is to use coconut oil - it will perfectly replace butter in any & all baking recipes and is way extra healthy - the best results come by slow-cooking your dry in coconut oil, same ratio 1 oz/2 C oil - for 2-3 hours (longer is even better) using a double-boiler or crock pot.
    I personally use 1oz bud/1 lb oil.
    Adding soy lecithin during this time really adds a power boost to the baked goods :science: -true-

CoconutCannaButter can be used for brownies, granola bars, banana loaf, oatmeal, choc.chip, ginger, any kinda cookie or baked dessert where butter is called for. Also, fry your eggs, butter your toast, peas, potatoes, greens, etc.

and one can also use olive/avocado oil to extract for loaded salad dressings, etc. Try to avoid using butter in your kitchen - your metabolism needs all the assistance you can give it - butter hurts! ... just sayin ... :2c:

Become a believer! Eat apple seeds & apricot seeds!

CarolKing likes this.
  15. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I agree about unsalted being an important point..
    and I have argued it with other cannabutter makers for a long time!
    The machine was novel for me, but I found after a few times, I went back to the method I gave used for
    45 years, as I found the flavor richer, and the results somewhat stronger.
    My results with the "machine" <--Link

16. krusht

krusht Well-Known Member

All true and I'm sure clarified butter is same as using coconut oil, which I use, because I have so many friends who are vegan :leaf: :tinfoil:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors