Christian Tokers

Cody420

Ever since I've became born again I have been struggling with this issue if its a sin or not, is there any other Vaping Christians that could give me there input? Now before I was saved herb was the center of my life and my life revolved around I't. I would be toking nonstop from when I woke up until I went to sleep. I was also using it as a band aid for dealing with other issues like depression, and to be happy It made things alot worse for me and I was abusing it. I realized theres more to life than being stoned all the time. I still toke but only a couple tokes before bedtime and Its not the center of my life anymore.

Cody420,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I don't think there's any great direction either way- it depends on who's interpretation you choose to follow as far as I understand. In that light I'd say it's up to you to decide if it's a sin for you, unless you're prepared to accept the opinion of whatever church. It's suggested that there was MJ in the healing oil Jesus would have used I think, but I can't see conservative denominations ever accepting this.

I'm predestined so it all makes no difference :brow:

WatTyler,

lwien

As a general rule, I try not to do anything that makes me feel guilty 'cause if I felt guilty about doing something, it takes all the joy out of doing it in the first place..........if that makes any sense.

Glad to see that your life doesn't revolve around weed anymore. That's the other thing. I don't believe that your life should revolve around ANY one thing, be it weed or anything else.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I use cannabis as medicine, and I have no guilt at all. I'm even positive that God is not angry with me for using it either.

I also believe the scripture in my signature. :)

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
I have not been involved in organized religion for a long time, yet I have also thought deeply on these things Cody420 and honestly I think you've more or less already got the advice you need. As lwien said, if something makes you feel bad or guilty then simply don't do it: if you believe God made you and made the world around you then trust that you have everything you need to understand and participate in that world housed fully within your mind/body and soul. Including the humility to ask for advice and help from others when necessary. So guilt is a good indication that yes, you are doing something wrong...learn to pay attention to those messages and take them seriously when they arrive. However remember that emotions are tricky devils...sometimes you really have to ask the question WHY do I feel this way. Be attentive and honest with yourself and I'm sure it will come to you eventually.

The idea that there is something inherently wrong with Cannabis usage is however bunk, IMO. The scripture in Vicki's signature is actually the perfect example. Everything is here for a reason, and everything has it's place (IMO). Cannabis can be tremendously helpful: it alleviates pain for those in need, it restores balance to bodies that have become run down, helps with digestion and appetite, helps control blood pressure and glaucoma and many, many other medical benefits. IMO we can almost look at Cannabis as a type of "adaptogen." Not to mention that often it can open the door to untapped creativity and alternative patterns of thinking and behaviour which, with the right personalities and motivating factors behind them, could be a powerful force for good in the world. For instance many people find that they feel "peaceful" during/after Cannabis usage. Surely peace is a desirable, Christian value?

So Cannabis has good virtues, of course. As you know, nothing is really all that simple though. Even though it is "good" it can still certainly be abused, and that is a problem. A big problem. Again to go back to something lwien said...

lwien said:
I don't believe that your life should revolve around ANY one thing, be it weed or anything else.

How true that is. If God has filled this world with millions and millions of experiences for you to have, places to see and people to meet, things to be done, things to be made, things to be fixed, things to be cared for, things to be understood or seen or heard or felt or just thought about...if all of these wonderful, incredible facets of the world are out there just waiting to be experienced...isn't it a little criminal if you only do ONE thing, over and over and over? No matter how "good" that thing is? Especially if that one activity is just taking...taking from the world and not giving back. We all have to work and play our part while we're here, and I'm afraid no one gets the role of "full-time stoner." Sooner or later you do need to do something else. Life is variety, and really if you're looking with the right perspective it is ALL wonderful.

My personal philosophy goes something like this: there is really only one basic good or evil, and that is intentionality. Cannabis itself, as an example, is not good or bad, sanctified or evil; it is PEOPLE who make it what it is...Cannabis is just a plant that grows in the world. It is people who have criminalized it and made it taboo, people who abuse it and bring harm about through it and therefore it is also people who now question whether this plant is "good" or bad." Yet if we never came along and started experimenting with it, the plant itself would just keep going about its own planty business. MAYBE the world is much, much more complicated than that...but IMO what we can control and what we can know for sure is just our own self and our experience, and to that end I believe that personal responsibility should be the foundation of what any religion or philosophy teaches you. Good luck Cody420.

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
"It is not what goes into the mouth that makes a person unclean. It is what comes out of the mouth that makes a person unclean." Matthew 15:11

hazy,

Cody420

I have come to the conclusion that as long as it doesn't become the center of my life it's okay in gods eyes. I also use it as medicine for bone pains, nausea, and ulcerative colitis. Jesus turned water into wine and alcohol causes more damage you just have to be moderate about it. I've been to a few conservative church's and they wernt friendly they looked at me weird because I wasnt dressed in a suit and completely went against the word they weren't loving at all. I love the scripture references you gave me, I only have read genesis and John so far I got alot more to catch up on it's such a big book.

Cody420,

lwien

I've been to a few conservative church's and they wernt friendly they looked at me weird because I wasnt dressed in a suit and completely went against the word they weren't loving at all.

Christian hypocrisy at it's finest. I have no doubt that Jesus would be going.......... :bang: .

snew

A very good discussion, taken very serious by some.

The idea that MJ was used in the anointing oil in the Old Testament is completely unfounded. There is no reference to use of marijuana anywhere Old Testament or New. Its just not there. You can look at scripture regarded intoxication (yes I know its different). This would be the most direct correlation you will find.

1 Peter 2:13 says "Submit yourself for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority"

Now that's pretty clear you should obey the law. Your a thinker figure that one out.

As for me I have several chronic conditions that cause me lots of pain. And opioids are not my friend. I made a decision after prayer and council, with my pastor, to use marijuana. I still struggle with this decision. I'm trying to chose the lesser of 2 evils for me. One thing will kill me and ruins my life and health. The other will eventually get me in legal trouble. I don't party, I don't sell I'm here for relief.

Sounds like your made up your mind. I would encourage you find council with scriptural leadership not on a vaping site to find your answers, even though I think you've received some good advice.

snew,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
A very good discussion, taken very serious by some.

The idea that MJ was used in the anointing oil in the Old Testament is completely unfounded. There is no reference to use of marijuana anywhere Old Testament or New. Its just not there.
Looking further I don't think it's so black and white as to be unfounded. There's maybe no specific mention in the modern Christian translations, but kaneh bosum is mentioned as an ingredient in oil in the hebrew

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Take the following fine spices: 500 shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels of kaneh bosm, 500 shekels of cassia - all according to the sanctuary shekel--and a hind of olive oil. Make these into a sacred anointing oil” (Exodus 30: 22-33)

Depends on what you believe kaneh bosum is;

The Septuagint, Nachmanides, Saadya Gaon and Ibn Janach all identify the keneh bosem (Hebrew "sweet cane," "fragrant reed") of the Old Testament as sweet calamus. Ancient sources identify this with the acorus calamus (Latin "sour-tasting cane"). Septuagint; Rambamon Kerithoth 1:1; Saadia; Ibn Janach). This is the sweetflag or flag-root, acorus calamus which grows in Europe. It appears that a similar species grew in the Holy Land, in the Hula region in ancient times (Theophrastus, History of Plants 9:7).

Other sources apparently indicate that it was the Indian plant, Cympopogan martini, which has the form of red straw (Maimonides Yad, Kley HaMikdash 1:3).

On the basis of cognate pronunciation and Septuagint readings, some identify Keneh bosem with the English and Greek cannabis, the hemp plant.

Most biblical authorities and commentators also identify the keneh bosem as the cane balsam of the plant variously referred to as sweet cane, sweet flag, or calamus.

Maimonides identifies it as the Indian rosha grass (Cymbopogon martinii).

The Targum Onkelos, however, clearly translates this Hebrew kaneh bosem as Aramaic q'nei busma, which is the same phrase used in the Mishna (concerning textiles) to refer to hemp.Citing the Targum in his annotated Torah translation, "The Living Torah", Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan notes cannabis as one among several other possible interpretations of keneh bosem as an ingredient in the holy anointing oil

Calamus or cannabis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_anointing_oil#Rabbinical_identifications_of_kaneh_bose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sula_Benet

WatTyler,

snew

I have not had extensive study of Hebrew, but I had a bit. I have extensively studied Koinonia Greek, translated passages myself. No creditable biblical scholar has noted a reference to marijuana in the Bible. Its really a big stretch to do so. The only place I ever read about marijuana in the Bible is in marijuana propaganda. Its not like this oil was used as a healing ointment. It would be used by the priest for anointing the king. It would not have been poured on the head of everybody for medicine. No body got the stuff.
Of course marijuana was created by God when every thing else was created. Its uses are many and I consider it a gift for my illness. But honestly its just not there. Nor would it change things if it where.

Calamus is generally accepted as sweet cane or reed. The Spetuagint is quoted as a source here. It was a translation from Hebrew into Koinonia Greek. A very specific language used in commerce of the day, used in most of the New Testament. If one where translating from Hebrew to Greek a word which means cannabis you would use "κάνναβις (kánnabis)"no translation needed. Proponents of MJ in the bible say that κάνναβις (kánnabis) was the word used. OK why has there never been one manuscript found with this usage. Not one and there are many ancient manuscripts of the Spetuagint has had this word. No ancient Hebrew Commentator referred to her. No historical book of the day such as "The works of Josephus" refer to cannabis. Someone of that era would have used κάνναβις (kánnabis) in referring to marijuana use in that day, and in that region (not across the world).

snew,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
The only place I ever read about marijuana in the Bible is in marijuana propaganda.
What about 'The Living Tora'?

Edit, I just read the passage and it's pretty much the same as represented in the wikipedia. But is the author not a credible scholar?

WatTyler,

snew

What about 'The Living Tora'?

Edit, I just read the passage and it's pretty much the same as represented in the wikipedia notes. But is the author not a credible scholar?

"On the basis of cognate pronunciation and Septuagint readings, some identify Keneh bosem with the English and Greek cannabis, the hemp plant."

Yes, he says that some people believe because the words sound similar "cognate pronunciation" in the Greek text, (which is not the original text), then some identify it has Hemp. Not based on the original word used but on a later translation. The commentator there did not say he agreed. I would tend to think he did not by his wording.
Note that the translator here did not translate it cannabis but "fragrant cane".
To use the pronunciation of a translated word is little evidence.

snew,

lwien

Of course marijuana was created by God when every thing else was created.

Of course?

There are many who would say that God didn't have anything to do with creation at all for there is no God, but assuming for a second that God did create everything, I think it's a stretch to think that just because God created it, it automatically means it's good for us. There are a LOT of things in the natural world that we should stay away from, but I don't believe that cannabis is one of them when used recreationally in moderation or to address medical issues.

lwien,

snew

Your right there are many who do, however, the title here is "Christian Toker". I believe I was addressing someone who is a christian as a christian. Simple stating to him who I was.
"To everything there is a season, and a time to purpose..."
I'm really sorry to offend.

snew,
Reactions: Vicki

lwien

Your right there are many who do, however, the title here is "Christian Toker". I believe I was addressing someone who is a christian as a christian. Simple stating to him who I was.

Absolutely no offense taken.

lwien,
Reactions: snew

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

I also assumed this discussion was about how God felt and if it were Christian to use cannabis. I don't think an athiest would even care, or bother to answer a question in this thread because it is not a thread for atheists. You did nothing wrong.

Vicki,

sunsett70

Christian hypocrisy at it's finest. I have no doubt that Jesus would be going.......... :bang: .
yeah, well, that happens all over the world, and Christians really don't have a monopoly on being assholes. you can find asshole muslims, buddhist, hindus, atheist etc etc.

lwien

No doubt. Christians do not have a monopoly on hypocrisy. I was just addressing Cody's experience when he went to Church.

Personally, I have found hypocrisies in most all organized religions and I believe this happens when any group of human beings try to "organize" ANYTHING on a large scale.

Some of these hypocrisies though, are more visible than others.

snew

You found churches to be screwed up people. They are hurt people, mean people, abused people, abusers, terrible. Just like me. As a matter a fact you will find a higher ratio of those kinds of people in churches that outside. Its sort of like looking for a hospital and finding sick people. People go to church for many reason but mostly because something in there life is missing and they believe God can fill that hole. Everybody is at some place different on this journey, so some are further along in their walk than others.
I believe things to be right that I fail in. So I'm sure I appear to be hypocritical of others, I mean a pot smoking christian, I get it. But most people in church are all trying. Genuinely trying to do the right thing.

snew,

caseball2051

I dotn believe in god, but I thought the big attraction to the christian god was his idea repenting your sins?

If you can do it, repent and be forgiven, whats the harm?

If you can do it, repent but not mean it, and still be a good christian is it really that bad? Youre not raping women or suffocating infants. There are parts of religion that everyone overlooks for their convenience and there are some practices that people practice which arent in the holy books.

God wants you to be happy and love him.

Good luck in your search for answers. I hope the words of a heathen helped. I wasnt trying to be disrespectful in anyway. If you were offended here please let me know and Ill remove it. I thought it might be helpful.

caseball2051,
Reactions: Peloton

snew

If you can do it, repent but not mean it, and still be a good christian is it really that bad?...

God wants you to be happy and love him.

You are surely right, God does want us to be happy. The Westminster Shorter Catechism says "Mans chief end is to glorify God, and enjoy him forever." A relationship with God should be enjoyable.

Some how repentance is seen by many as no more that saying I'm sorry. Repentance is an old military turn meaning about face. Greek dictionaries define it as to turn around. So the implication is that that one turns toward God. An about face as such toward God and away from sin.

And no I'm not that easily offend. Good luck in your search.

snew,
Reactions: Vicki
Top Bottom