Cheap Vacuum Purger

MGG

There seems to be no cheap vacuum purger option around?
I don't really want to put down anything more than $150
and really would much prefer spending 100 max..

I've been doing runs for ages but just heat purging really well.
I keep getting lectured on how its a key process to vacuum purge but my runs are too small
for me to feel that it's warranted to put the money down. I'll do 18g runs like once a month.

Anyways, has anyone got any advice?
Thanks.

MGG,

gosaints420

With a little ingenuity you can make one with a Harbor Freight vacuum pump, a Mason jar and a few valves and fittings.

darkrom

Great Scott!
With a little ingenuity you can make one with a Harbor Freight vacuum pump, a Mason jar and a few valves and fittings.

This can and may explode/implode and cause a very dangerous situation. Mason jars aren't designed to handle a full vacuum, even if a hand pump was capable of attaining full vac.

gosaints420

This can and may explode/implode and cause a very dangerous situation. Mason jars aren't designed to handle a full vacuum, even if a hand pump was capable of attaining full vac.
Ha ha ha Ok mom. lets be real first there is no possible way it could explode under a vacuum, theoretically it could implode but concidering it's a pretty common practice and I've done it plenty of times myself (with a vacuum pump not a hand pump so it definitely reaches full vacuum) I feel it's safe. Those jars are a lot stronger than you think. I know of them being dropped from the counter under full vacuum and not breaking. That being said use caution and a little common scence don't put your face near the glass and you have nothing to worry about.

gosaints420,
Reactions: Buildozer

darkrom

Great Scott!
It happens, but whatever you want to do go ahead. I highly doubt you are getting full vac anyway using a hand pump. The only word that describes the setup you are talking about is GHETTO. That is from someone else who also can't afford a proper vac setup.

Ghetto and chemistry don't usually end too well. Usually ends with people laughing at the idiot who is another cannabis extract statistic to fuel the negative news campaigns about how dangerous extracts are, and why they should be banned...like solvent extractions are in California.

concidering it's a pretty common practice and I've done it plenty of times myself I feel it's safe.

Plenty of people shoot heroin every day and don't die. MORE so than there are people using ghetto vac chambers. Does that make it more safe as well?

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I use a vacu-vin wine/coffee saving kits. Not expensive at all and holds heat well too.

CentiZen,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
25hg seems to be the maximum you can get with a break pump in that vessel.

CentiZen,

Caligula

Maximus
While it won't prevent implosion, wraping your vessel in packing tape (or duct tape) will help reduce the risk of implosion as well as any potential shrapnel if it does critically fail. Same idea as putting tape on windows during tornados and other strong storms.

vape4health

I'll look more later but the jar vac canning thing said 20" somewhere and for use with normal canning jars. I have used a brake bleeder to hold a small mason jar at 20" overnight so a hand pump will do the pump job.

People put big 6 gallon wine carboys under some vacuum too. Check out the all in one wine vac. Some dude makes them to tranfer and decarbonate wine.

vape4health,

gosaints420

It happens, but whatever you want to do go ahead. I highly doubt you are getting full vac anyway using a hand pump. The only word that describes the setup you are talking about is GHETTO. That is from someone else who also can't afford a proper vac setup.

Ghetto and chemistry don't usually end too well. Usually ends with people laughing at the idiot who is another cannabis extract statistic to fuel the negative news campaigns about how dangerous extracts are, and why they should be banned...like solvent extractions are in California.

Plenty of people shoot heroin every day and don't die. MORE so than there are people using ghetto vac chambers. Does that make it more safe as well?

I'M NOT USING A HAND PUMP learn to read. I guarantee I'm reaching full vacuum I know because I'm using a vacuum gauge. What exactly do you think is so dangerous if it did by some chance implode. You make it seem like it would level a house or something SORRY but you are extremely exaggerating the danger here. You are in MUCH more danger spraying butane than vacuum purging.

What exactly is your point with the heroin comment. It simply means if you shoot heroin you probably won't die just as if you use a mason jar as a vac chamber it probably won't implode so thanks for proving my point for me and if you need me to set you strait on anything else just let me know.

sincerely,
The Idiot Ghetto Chemist

tepictoton

That pump looks okay...

honestly, I have messed with pumps and excicators and what not, only to throw them out again.

What i do now is spray straigth into a layer of everclear(94% grain alcohol). The everclear will push out all of the butane as soon as you spray. Once all the butane is gone, you will see it evaporate quickly into little bubbles, and you are left with a little pool of everclear with oil, you can easily evaporate the alcohol out.

Important thing is to use as big of a pyrex dish as you can. The thinner your product is the easier you can purge the alcohol with a simple warm water bath.

On top of that, one can easily put the oil mixed in the alcohol into a freezer, and winterize it, emoving all waxes from the oil. This will result in a slight loss of flavour, but will leave you with a pristine extract that needs to be scraped while warm otherwise it will shatter into a million little pieces...:2c:

MGG

That pump looks okay...

honestly, I have messed with pumps and excicators and what not, only to throw them out again.

What i do now is spray straigth into a layer of everclear(94% grain alcohol). The everclear will push out all of the butane as soon as you spray. Once all the butane is gone, you will see it evaporate quickly into little bubbles, and you are left with a little pool of everclear with oil, you can easily evaporate the alcohol out.

Important thing is to use as big of a pyrex dish as you can. The thinner your product is the easier you can purge the alcohol with a simple warm water bath.

On top of that, one can easily put the oil mixed in the alcohol into a freezer, and winterize it, emoving all waxes from the oil. This will result in a slight loss of flavour, but will leave you with a pristine extract that needs to be scraped while warm otherwise it will shatter into a million little pieces...:2c:

I have 100% ISO Alcohol is that good?
Not too keen on the idea of losing flavor though... Personally i think you may be talking down the 'slight' flavor loss. I think it'd notice quite a big difference.

MGG,

tepictoton

well thats why I say in my personal opinion;) everybody should always check these things out for themselves and see how they work out, can always try a small batch and see for yourself...

When it comes to purging the extract, I will take the slight loss of flavor anyday over maybe insufficiently purged extract...again that is just my two cents. If you have acces to a decent vacuum set-up, then this might not be an issue, but if you don't...

I had a good vac set-up, but now prefer the alcohol method. With the winterizing added to the process, the final extract is a lot more stable in my experience.

If I am correct, ISO would lead to more flavour loss then everclear. Plus i personally feel safer using grain alcohol then using ISO, but again, that is personal preference.

And as far as I know, 100%ISO is near to impossible, same as 100%grain alcohol...My ISO supplier also says it is 100%, but I am not sure if I can believe that...

And as far as hand brake bleading pumps go, the only once that will get you a deep enough vacuum (-29) are the called Silverline Mityvac and will cost you about 175dollar. My experience with them again was too much hastle. Some people here however did have good runs with them...all personal preference, and only one way to find out...trial and error:nod:

MGG

Hmmm my supplier says 100% i was kind of surprised myself but i can't imagine they'd be lieing?
My supply seems legit.

Anyways thanks. Though i'd rather not spend $175 through trial and error to find out that it's not suiting to me.

Also this is a small detail but your beginning point confused me.. You never actually mentioned it's your "opinion" (like obviously it is) but i just thought it was strange you said "well that's why i say in my personal opinion" but you never even used the word "opinion".. it's a small detail.. just found it funny, maybe i misunderstood.

Caligula

Maximus
It doesn't matter.

You can buy pure (thats a misnomer its actually like 99.9%) ISO from chemical and lab supply companies. Is it worth the extra cost over 99% found in drug stores?

No. That 1% is just water, which will evaporate off just like the other 99%. Also last time I checked water isn't very toxic to humans.

IIRC, 190 Proof Grape Alcohol retains flavor the best however its expebsive and hard to find.

http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/organic-grape-alcohol-5-gallon

Last edited:
Caligula,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

tedthehed

back to the root . according to the authoritative reports I have read on the interweb which are required by law to be true as we all know, the little bit of butane that may be in the oil isn't going to hurt you even even it does get in you, somehow ..

I have been personally testing this apparent truth , and find it to be so.

I have spaken ..

..oh I almost forgot, that vacuum pump isn't god because you have to change the oil!

this one is oil free! $310.

http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~780~pid~12980.aspx?gclid=CJqi2fSstboCFWnZQgod5XQAkw

Last edited:
tedthehed,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Vacuum pump oil is cheap and wont need changing all that often for the amount of time it will take these small containers to evacuate. I really think an oil free lab grade pump is a wee bit over kill, but to each their own. :2c:

Puffers,
Reactions: Caligula

4tokin

I have found the food saver vacuum pump/ sealer with the vacuum canister to be a good performer.
It pulls a vacuum a lot lower and quicker than a hand pump.
Once the canister containing you oil is vac'ed down, place the canister in a hot water bath and watch the purge begin.
From time to time you need to replenish the hot water and revac on a regular basis.

4tokin,

MGG

Thanks everyone for the tremendous help.
In all honesty i care less about getting rid of residual butane (thought that's an added bonus)
My main interest is to get rid of any butane effecting the flavor or the smoothness of my oils.
Thanks so much for everyone's opinions. It's definitely given me a lot to think about. Feel free to keep posting your thoughts, i'll keep reading them ^.^.

The homemade vacuum purger was a steal at $80 for that whole kit!

MGG,

tedthehed

well, spray a puddle of your butane on a clean surface, like glass, wait a second for the gas to boil off, and then have a sniff at any residue that is left. If it doesn't smell then, how is gonna make a smell or taste when theres just like a millionth of a gram (illustrative amount , I don't know how much is left n the oil...) left in the oil?
btw I smell zero in the tiny residue left when I test Newport brand, though there are cans half the price that also test
odor free, I hear.

tedthehed,

MGG

well, spray a puddle of your butane on a clean surface, like glass, wait a second for the gas to boil off, and then have a sniff at any residue that is left. If it doesn't smell then, how is gonna make a smell or taste when theres just like a millionth of a gram (illustrative amount , I don't know how much is left n the oil...) left in the oil?
btw I smell zero in the tiny residue left when I test Newport brand, though there are cans half the price that also test
odor free, I hear.

I notice a definite impact on the flavor based on how long i purge and if it's vacuum purged.
(i use nothing but high quality butane) Yeah i used ventti but i have a newport supplier atm coming in soon.

MGG,
Top Bottom