Cheap High Quality Bubbler

MuushuPork

I dont think anyone makes the statement that cheap glass functions the same to insult buyers. I think it's more about wanting something they cant afford, but also not wanting something that has a name-brand huge mark-up. I bought $600 heady pieces when I was a teenager and had throw away money but these days I cant imagine spending that much for many reasons. Either way I think that everyone has a point. Love you.

Moogly

That analogy is no where close. All percs do is make bubbles, pretty simple. It isn't rocket surgery, :lol:..

glassblower here. you aren't paying for the perc, or the functionality of a piece. yes, a well made chinese matrix perc is going to hit the same as a mobius matrix perc, but that's not what you're paying for. you're paying for the 100% guaruntee of 100% perfection and expert craftsmanship of the glass. they are all handmade, but you pay $400 a piece because the artists they employ are so skilled that they can churn out cans and tubes with the exact same dimensions every time, just like a machine had made it. the blowers are skilled enough to ensure and paid enough to care that all the glass remains an even thickness across the entire piece, increasing durability and aesthetics by quite a bit. you are paying to ensure there is not a single hairine crack, not a single bubble, not a single dust particle in the glass. you are paying for all clean welds that are 100% exact in their placement and not off by even 1 or 2 degrees in angle. you are paying for a perfect base that is the exact thickness all the way around and is flat on both sides - not a little bit uneven or flat/bumpy in certain areas of the base. a perfect circle. you are paying for the peace of mind of knowing that the artists used a **CORRECT AND EFFECTIVE** kiln annealing process, and that it is 100% perfect 100% of the time. if you're not into that stuff, you don't have to buy it, but lots of people are. its art, and just like in art, a little scribble tag on the subway may say the same name but it doesn't catch your attention quite like a giant wildstyle graffiti piece on a billboard, even though they're both the same thing essentially. i love budget pieces and a majority of my collection is brandless glass, but you really can't compare the two and say they're the same. they're not.

Errl

I used to work at a high end smokeshop where we had plenty of Toros, Sheldon Blacks and the like. I just sold off my Sheldon Black 5 arm beaker to buy one of these cheap china pieces and couldn't be happier.

If you're looking for a cosmetically perfect piece, China glass won't cut it. There are small defects that you generally don't see on higher end glass. Bubbles, imperfect welds, things like that. But as far as functionality goes, these pieces definitely rival the higher end glass I've personally handled.

Are you looking to be the big baller on the block and rock a brand name bong or are you looking to smoke some weed? I personally couldn't care less about a brand name or having a cosmetically perfect piece. Some people do. To each their own.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I haven't used my ion since my 187 arrived. I don't know how they did it, but I have to admit that the $46 GB-187 is just as enjoyable to use as my Mobius. @mvapes, I see where you're coming from and I probably would've agreed with you a year ago. I had yet to buy any cheap glass from this thread until last month when I saw the 187 and thought it was too good to be true. I kinda hoped deep down that it really sucked and I could show everyone that all this cheap glass sucks. But I can't find a fault with it yet. The perc could break tomorrow, and I'll be the first one to show everyone that it did....

I'm still a big proponent of local glass and I will continue to support the artists around here. Having said that, it's nice to know that there is a budget option for those who can't afford big bucks for a quality piece. I guess the thread title says it all.

I remember seeing a youtube vid of Luke Wilson saying that he thought there was nothing wrong with cheap china glass as an option for some. I agree with him.

:peace:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
glassblower here. you aren't paying for the perc, or the functionality of a piece. yes, a well made chinese matrix perc is going to hit the same as a mobius matrix perc, but that's not what you're paying for. you're paying for the 100% guaruntee of 100% perfection and expert craftsmanship of the glass. they are all handmade, but you pay $400 a piece because the artists they employ are so skilled that they can churn out cans and tubes with the exact same dimensions every time, just like a machine had made it. the blowers are skilled enough to ensure and paid enough to care that all the glass remains an even thickness across the entire piece, increasing durability and aesthetics by quite a bit. you are paying to ensure there is not a single hairine crack, not a single bubble, not a single dust particle in the glass. you are paying for all clean welds that are 100% exact in their placement and not off by even 1 or 2 degrees in angle. you are paying for a perfect base that is the exact thickness all the way around and is flat on both sides - not a little bit uneven or flat/bumpy in certain areas of the base. a perfect circle. you are paying for the peace of mind of knowing that the artists used a **CORRECT AND EFFECTIVE** kiln annealing process, and that it is 100% perfect 100% of the time. if you're not into that stuff, you don't have to buy it, but lots of people are. its art, and just like in art, a little scribble tag on the subway may say the same name but it doesn't catch your attention quite like a giant wildstyle graffiti piece on a billboard, even though they're both the same thing essentially. i love budget pieces and a majority of my collection is brandless glass, but you really can't compare the two and say they're the same. they're not.
Read @GSH and others' situation from 4/20 sales from ALT. A batch of wonky Möbius pieces were unloaded overseas by ALT. At least 6 pages of möbius thread devoted to this mess. Nobody's perfect. All of the cheap knock offs just make the real innovators keep innovating.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/mobius-glass.5091/page-85#post-579690

Moogly

DieHard, with all due respect that's a pretty weak straw man argument. a few bad shipments are one thing, china glass is another story. the consistency with mobius and other high end glass is much much much much much much higher than with DHgate products - and i say this even though im about to buy a DHgate piece from this thread. to compare a mobius and a china piece and say the china piece has no differences at all is really offensive to the artist that put thousands of hours of working into making that mobius so perfect and uniform that you didn't even notice it had some special stuff going on.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
DieHard, with all due respect that's a pretty weak straw man argument. a few bad shipments are one thing, china glass is another story. the consistency with mobius and other high end glass is much much much much much much higher than with DHgate products - and i say this even though im about to buy a DHgate piece from this thread. to compare a mobius and a china piece and say the china piece has no differences at all is really offensive to the artist that put thousands of hours of working into making that mobius so perfect and uniform that you didn't even notice it had some special stuff going on.
I take nothing away from the artists, and again if I had the means, I would have one of each möbius model probably. It's not meant as an argument. It is just a counterpoint for the sake of conversation.

I have never tried a real möbius.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It's all good. To each his own.
Cannibis is the holy grail.:lmao:
I'm having an @ataxian moment. :wave:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Why is an American expert assumed to be greater than a Chinese expert?

I feel that is a loaded question. That is like asking: does a pound of feathers weigh more than a pound of lead? Assuming both the American and Chinese are experts, one's work should be of equal quality.

But I'll attempt to answer what I think you are asking. That is the Chinese blower is often simply paid by quantity produced and not quality of production. Hence the Chinese manufacturers just slamming out as many as they can and not perfecting the pieces as described in some of the processes above by Moogly.

Moogly

Why is an American expert assumed to be greater than a Chinese expert?

it's not an assumption, mobius and other reputable brands like illadelph have been around for many years and have consistently put forth high quality glass that has been praised and sought after by functional glass art enthusiasts and cannabis connoisseurs. chinese glass is functional, and it performs great - especially for the price - but it isn't comparable to a company that has been doing it internationally for years. its not an assumption that mobius makes better glass than a chinese factory worker. nationality has nothing to do with it.

That is like asking: does a pound of feathers weigh more than a pound of lead?

But I'll attempt to answer what I think you are asking. That is the Chinese blower is often simply paid by quantity produced and not quality of production. Hence the Chinese manufacturers just slamming out as many as they can and not perfecting the pieces as described in some of the processes above by Moogly.
hey @FlyingLow haha I am just playing devil's advocate :evil::evil::evil: Really all of this cannabis culture, including the development of high end glass pieces, has come out of the USA. I think the USA is cannabis heaven:tup::love: I just think that for the average person these Chinese pieces are just wonderful. The Chinese may not be the best innovators but they are very good at production. Actually, there is probably no need to even debate it. Luckily there is a path for both the cheap and high end glass buyer that will satisfy either. Personally, I think the amount of work that goes into some high end pieces is overstated. It is not like they make one piece and burn the blueprint.

Actually, I'm with @ataxian and @DieHard Its all good baby and its all about the cannabis. These toys just help us to enjoy it more :)

walrus

Not many. And I gotta be honest, some aren't being truthful either. A fucking $50 piece of glass rivals a mobius? Not only am I fucking insulted but somebody needs get more acquainted with a good piece of glass. To be candid, I think it's insulting to a lot of members. Hey PR - got a Lexus? Wow, I've been in one at one point or another and IMO my 1983 chevette rides the same.

I find, and this what I have learned - those who knock it probably can't afford it and they're finding justification in their purchase. You know how I know this? Cause I used to do the same bullshit before I hit that very fucking Mobius I spoke of. I, at one time had a bunch of cheap glass - I could not bring myself to take the splurge either. For years I used cheaper stuff and for years I kept breaking it. Not to say I haven't broken a high end piece, I drop shit all the time because I shake. Simple knock overs, some drops even, my pieces usually survive.

So what I'm saying is think before you type. There are people here who aren't kids and we've worked our asses off to afford what we have. Whether were well off or just finding a way to make it work no one has the right to make us feel stupid for our purchases.

Here's another funny one to laugh at...

I loved sitting in first class while getting a free upgrade for my honeymoon but uh, it was pretty much the same thing as coach...

On a prop plane....

You seem to be the only one being insulting in here. Most of us are just giving our honest assessment of pieces we have. Yes I have hit a Mobius before as well as Sovereignty's, Hitman's, Toro's, Roor's, etc. Customs from Elbo, Hamm, Beer, and many others. I'm certainly no expert but I know glass and I know what I like. I'm definitely not a fucking kid. I own pieces that cost 10 times the <$50 bubbler I just received from Dhgate. The FACT is that this 187 functions just as well as pieces that cost exponentially more. Is it a perfectly crafted work of art? No, and I think I made that clear in my last post.

You say I'm not being truthful, that I need to get acquainted with a good piece of glass, and that I cant afford quality so I'm just justifying my purchase. All of those statements are false. These pieces provide a low price, high functioning alternative to high priced glass. They are not a one of a kind work of art nor are they flawless. I am able to appreciate them for what they are, sorry you can't. No need to get so butthurt about it though.

So what I'm saying is think before you type.

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Yeah with all due respect, there are a lot of people (nobody in particular, but just in general on these whole forums) throwing around some harsh judgements of people who like expensive glass. I'd never judge someone for having a genuine passion for whisky glasses and going out and buying a $200 diamond Swiss made glass when realistically a cheap $2 one from the op-shop would do the same thing.
It's a passion for some people. For all you know, someone who saves up and forks out $400 for a simple bubbler may have it in a rotating glass display case in his special vaporising room.
Not nice to call out people that like a brand name; s'all i'm sayin. Things like that don't come from a pure place, and it isn't the right thing to say.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
[QUOTE="Mr. Gweilo 420, post: 598813, member: 13701"
Actually, I'm with @ataxian and @DieHard Its all good baby and its all about the cannabis. These toys just help us to enjoy it more :)[/QUOTE]
OWJXrFR.jpg

Cannabis is the holy grail!

Quit making it rocket science!

My 18mm stock GonG from @Stu works the best with the D020-T

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
We are adults here and as such we should treat each other accordingly. Silly words like 'butthurt' or subtle jabs at one's reading and writing skills need to stop so that we can have an adult conversation.

Hopefully we can all at least agree on that?

:peace:

Okay so how about a change of topic. Yesterday I received the G-189 from Yingmin;

rkc5g2.jpg

xdaslu.jpg

30krf6g.jpg

My intital thoughts are the piece looks amazing. The glass is thick and there are zero imperfections that I can see. Compared to the pieces from Sunshine Store these products from Yingmin seem to be free from scratches and other imperfections. Now as you know this thing is meant to be some kind of tornado. Well I'm sorry to say I don't think so. Unless I am too stupid to get it to work. If you fill the water below the perc nothing it does not function at all. If you fill it just a little over the perc it functions but there is no tornado. It just kind of chugs. It works okay but I think the turbine may not function very well. However, when clearing the can there is something resembling a tornado action.

Lately I have been using the D0-20W and this has a much wider mouthpiece. The piece does milk nicely and I was getting a lot of vapor. It also seemed to contribute to an improved level of extraction as well.

Overall I'm not sure about this piece yet. I'm hoping that one of you can get it firing better than me.

P.S Sorry for the shitty pics. I thought they were better :(

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Fine art is great, for those that appreciate and can afford it. A mobius is not the same as a unique heady piece, it's more like a hq (unless you buy it with a 4/20 discount lol) print of a masterpiece, signed and numbered by the artist. And for everybody else, what can I say but, "chinese glass for the masses" :D

Actually I have taken to the middle road with my glass collection so far. A couple of cheap chinese ashcatchers that are awesome, and some name brand but not tol glass like my grace bubbler and blaze bong. My "best" pieces are my le swaggertube from vxc, and my roor recycler from massdrop.
:science:
Edit: I also have my old combustion bong (converted),
and two (ancient at this point) 7th floor bubblers .

Last edited:
Top Bottom