1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Cheap High Quality American Glass??

Discussion in 'Glass' started by Tstat, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Tstat

Tstat Dead Foot Designs Accessory Maker

Hey glass fans! So, I have been reading a lot over in the cheap quality bubbler thread and there is a ton of great info. That said, most of it deals with glass from China. It looks like the Chinese are getting better at glass blowing, but so are many new artists in the US!

Now, I have nothing against Chinese glass for cheap, but personally I'd rather spend a little more for nice boro. I have GAS, big time. I have spent a lot on nice glass like Mobius, etc. but I'm starting to realize that you can get nice shit that rivals the big guys for a fraction of the cost. There seems to be a shift toward blowers creating nice knock-offs that are well made and durable.

I bought this for $100, for example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice, right? And to top it off, no horrible Sov label! I believe these are the same ones being sold at Brothers With Glass:

http://www.brotherswithglass.com/American_Glass_Water_Pipes_s/412.htm

I also picked this up at BWG during the sale:

[​IMG]

It's made really well and was only $85. It's smaller than I thought it would be, but hits nice and is a great pair for the Solo:

[​IMG]

It's got a cool curved look the the perc and flawless welds, etc. I'll probably keep it ;) Oh and it's made by Kraze Glass out of New Mexico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I hope this thread takes off like the other cheap bubbler thread. I'm hoping we can share great deals and websites selling cheap American made glass.
    ou812?, Ox45, grokit and 17 others like this.
  2. placetime

placetime Well-Known Member

Great thread to start Tstat! I've enjoyed following the cheap bubbler thread too, but have also noticed that it has started to shift to just Chinese glass. Not a bad thing, as you have also stated, but, imho, a thread for just American blowers producing inexpensive quality glass is a great idea! :tup: Maybe some new blower-specific threads will spring up out of this one.... :brow:
  3. SoulCaptivesAreFree

SoulCaptivesAreFree Hazemaniac

great thread tsat! :)

i feel like ssfgglass.com should be mentioned here ;)

of course jhanpixel too, they're now using schott glass and have good quality for fantastic prices, and we have a lot of satisfied colie customers on board here...

i think these are some good starting points (leviathan too if you're patient)

good vibes :)
  4. placetime

I agree that jhanpixel and leviathan have shown the quality their work. But is leviathan what one would consider "cheap"? I know that's subjective, but it seems to me that (imho) leviathan isn't really in the "cheap" camp. Cheaper than Mobius or other big names, sure, but I don't know that I'd include his stuff in the "cheap" category. I'm more on the fence about including jhanpixel (in terms of "cheap"--NOT in terms of quality). :2c:
  5. Meghan

Meghan Well-Known Member

Leviathan is definitely not "cheap" in the sense that I see similar pieces to his for quite a bit less on a regular basis. Which is a shame, since "cheap" is all I can afford right now and I do like some of his pieces...
  6. Tstat

I once tried to buy a Lev piece, but I won't get into that! So, cheap is tough to define, I guess. To me, it's less than $200. I'll spend up to $300 if it's something amazing, but not $400. As far as this thread goes, it doesn't matter to me what price range we use.

My next one is going to be American Glass 5 arm tree for $90 (BWG) :)

If you find a great deal out there, post it here!
  7. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

in the other thread we defined cheap as less than $100.

I LOVE that bubbler, tstat!
    ataxian, BLAZING OG and placetime like this.
  8. Tstat

Ok, I'd say $200 then. To me that's pretty affordable. And yea, the sidecar is pretty cool. Small, but nice :)
    ataxian and BLAZING OG like this.
  9. max

max This space available Staff Member

I don't think you can put a blanket price point on 'cheap'. For a really elaborate and/or large piece, $300 might be cheap.
    ataxian and Tstat like this.
  10. placetime

imho, an "elaborate and/or large piece" is unlikely to be a "cheap" piece (maybe I'd call something like that "relatively cheap"? :\). I think of "cheap" as meaning not much money (subjective itself, of course, but I think we can assume most of the people on a "cheap" thread aren't what most would consider wealthy...). In this case, imo, that means around $100 or less (preferably less :cool:). I had tried to push the $50 limit for a "cheap" piece in the other thread and found it to be a pretty high bar to clear for quality American-blown glass.
    ataxian and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  11. max

To me, it's the comparison that makes it cheap. 'Cheap' probably isn't the best adjective, but if you can get a fancy piece of glass, design wise, for 20% of the price of what it's copied from, that's cheap. Maybe 'highly discounted' or 'bargain priced' is a better description.
    Vapour Clown, ataxian and placetime like this.
  12. Tstat

Well, I only used "cheap" to copy whats going on in that other thread. Max, please change the title if you feel a better description is needed :)
    ataxian and placetime like this.
  13. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

this is the same conversation we had in the other thread...see that one for a spoiler as to how this one is going to end.
  14. max

No, it's no big deal. Just putting in :2c:.
  15. Tstat

Well, yea. I mean I would love it if this thread became a place to share good quality American glass at a good price point. I think I'm thinking of it differently that lets say M&M Tech or even EFS. Those, to me, are like mid-tier glass. What sparked my interest was the knock-off Sov tubes made with quality german glass at a huge savings over a labeled Sovereignty. Or blowers who copy Mobius percs, etc. I'm done paying exuberant prices for a label!
    ou812?, ataxian, Meghan and 2 others like this.
  16. max

The markup on brand names is BIG. The only reason I bought a Mobius Ion was that KultureVA had a big sale a couple of years ago, and I got it for 25% off- $217. Even then buyer's regret made me sit on it, unused, for quite some time, while I fought with myself over using it or selling it as brand new. I've enjoyed it immensely and it's like a flawless grade diamond to look at, but I too will likely never pay that much again, especially when I can (and did) get the same form factor for under $30.
    ou812?, ataxian, Quetzalcoatl and 3 others like this.
  17. Tstat

OK, so in the interest in keeping this thread moving, I'm going to make a purchase in the coming days. Strictly a scientific endeavor.

Here's what I'm looking at:

[​IMG]
    American Glass Water Pipe - 18mm 5 Tree Arm Perc $90

[​IMG]
    American Glass Water Pipe - 18mm UFO Perc $90

[​IMG]
    American Glass Water Pipe - 18mm Orion Perc $90

So, they used to have more on there, but today they are gone. Not even "sold out" but removed from the page. They had one with an inline and a tree for $130. I think (and from what I have heard) that if you want one at this price and without the label, you should get one now.

I'm just undecided as to the type of perc I want. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  18. placetime

in those pics, it looks like the orion perc pipe has the best clearance above/around the joint. :2c:
    BLAZING OG and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  19. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

I don't understand the water levels in the pictures of the first two? Lol, there is no water after 2nd look! :doh: The clearance is nice in the third picture but I can't tell for sure if it is a donut perc or a disc perc similar to the lattice???
    ou812? and BLAZING OG like this.
  20. LetsAllMeltDownTogether

LetsAllMeltDownTogether Well-Known Member

You only fill the top chamber on the first two. The bottom is dry.
    BLAZING OG and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  21. Tstat

Yea, great point. And since I'll be using this with the EVO the Orion is probably the way to go :)

Edit: Shit, I didn't realize they didn't take PayPal. All of my toy money is PP, that way the wife doesn't see what I spent (and on what!)
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  22. way2

way2 Well-Known Member

Swagger Glass has 2 or 3 DI bubs on their site for $100-$120 plus 10% off with the code "EYESMOKE" :tup:

There are a few pricier options too....I want the gridded puck to turbine :drool:

www.shopswaggerglass.com
    ou812?, BLAZING OG, mlo4sho and 2 others like this.
  23. Tstat

Ok, BWG emailed me back and said that they WILL take my PayPal money! I'm going to certainly get the Orion and maybe something else. :)
  24. canj00digit?

canj00digit? All my days in a daze...

BWG just updated their American Glass page.
    Also they're currently having 15% off sale.

Couple more interesting ones:

18 mm Upline* to Turbine Perc $145
    [​IMG]

18 mm Upline* to UFO Perc $135
    [​IMG]

14mm Upline To Recycler Concentrate Rig $153
    [​IMG]

*Note: The top two tubes say 'upline' in their description but they're actually downline as you can see in the photos. I have the 2nd one, the gridded downline-to-UFO (circ), and it's a VERY smooth hitting little tube.
    grokit, ataxian, Quetzalcoatl and 2 others like this.
  25. Tstat

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors