1. If the Herbalizer was a fortune cookie what would it say? Tell us and win it!
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Cheap downstem?

Discussion in 'Glass' started by Magic9, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

I have a 10in. HVY straight tube that I was cleaning up for Super Bowl Sunday. Dropped the d/s right into the sink. I think I found the one I need.

http://www.brotherswithglass.com/HVY_Glass_Replacement_Downstem_p/bwg-hvyds2.htm

Problem is, I'm too cheap to drop $25+ on it. The piece itself was only around $50. I know GBD offers a free one, but I don't want to order only a free d/s and nothing else. I'd feel like an ass.

I even checked ebay, but they didn't see anything that small (4in overall/ 2.5in from joint).

Appreciate any help.
  2. clouded vision

clouded vision Well-Known Member

3. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

Much better prices, but even his smallest is just a tad too big. I wonder if he'll do a custom one.
  4. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH Hey hey hey bhombs away!

Green Buddah = Chinese glass middleman he doesn't do custom orders. Why not order a j hook and/or some k clips with the downstem from GBD?
    Magic9 and DDave like this.
  5. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

6. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH Hey hey hey bhombs away!

Stick a pencil in your piece and mark it where you want it to end, then measure.
    Magic9 likes this.
  7. placetime

placetime Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Magic9 and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  8. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

I honestly wouldn't feel bad about it. There's a reason they offer it: marketing!
    If you get a free downstem and tell your friends that it turned out well, that's free word-of-mouth for GBD.

IMO it's not like they offer a FC discount, so might as well take 'em up on it!
  9. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

I shot them an email to see if they could make one in that size. I figure for the price I could order an extra one or two. Still cheaper than the stock one.

Edit* Next time, stemless lol. Is there an adapter I could use so I could use a longer d/s? A sort of "high profile" maybe?
    placetime likes this.
  10. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

placetime, SSVUN~YAH and SD_haze like this.
  11. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

I have a slitted downstem with the same kind of tiny thick hole at the end. Works purty well :-)
    SSVUN~YAH and Magic9 like this.
  12. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

The Ebay downstems got here. Decent quality. A little variation between the two of them and gets a little messy at the bottom. IMO, well worth the price.

Only issue is, it kind of sits off to the side in my tube so it clinks. I think it's just the way the tube is made. I'm going to message the guy and see if I can get one that is 2". If he can, I'll get one that doesn't clink and grab one of the fancy looking ones for $12.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Downstem-Do...179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd4eeb03

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT* Could I just use an 18m/18f adapter as a spacer? K clip to hold d/s to adapter?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/18MM-MALE-1...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=141131681780&
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    SSVUN~YAH likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors