1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Cheap downstem?

Discussion in 'Glass' started by Magic9, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

I have a 10in. HVY straight tube that I was cleaning up for Super Bowl Sunday. Dropped the d/s right into the sink. I think I found the one I need.

http://www.brotherswithglass.com/HVY_Glass_Replacement_Downstem_p/bwg-hvyds2.htm

Problem is, I'm too cheap to drop $25+ on it. The piece itself was only around $50. I know GBD offers a free one, but I don't want to order only a free d/s and nothing else. I'd feel like an ass.

I even checked ebay, but they didn't see anything that small (4in overall/ 2.5in from joint).

Appreciate any help.

2. clouded vision

clouded vision Well-Known Member

3. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

Much better prices, but even his smallest is just a tad too big. I wonder if he'll do a custom one.

4. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

Green Buddah = Chinese glass middleman he doesn't do custom orders. Why not order a j hook and/or some k clips with the downstem from GBD?

Magic9 and DDave like this.
  5. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

6. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

Stick a pencil in your piece and mark it where you want it to end, then measure.

Magic9 likes this.
  7. placetime

placetime Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Magic9 and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  8. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

I honestly wouldn't feel bad about it. There's a reason they offer it: marketing!
    If you get a free downstem and tell your friends that it turned out well, that's free word-of-mouth for GBD.

IMO it's not like they offer a FC discount, so might as well take 'em up on it!

9. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

I shot them an email to see if they could make one in that size. I figure for the price I could order an extra one or two. Still cheaper than the stock one.

Edit* Next time, stemless lol. Is there an adapter I could use so I could use a longer d/s? A sort of "high profile" maybe?

placetime likes this.
  10. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

placetime, SSVUN~YAH and SD_haze like this.
  11. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

I have a slitted downstem with the same kind of tiny thick hole at the end. Works purty well :-)

SSVUN~YAH and Magic9 like this.
  12. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

The Ebay downstems got here. Decent quality. A little variation between the two of them and gets a little messy at the bottom. IMO, well worth the price.

Only issue is, it kind of sits off to the side in my tube so it clinks. I think it's just the way the tube is made. I'm going to message the guy and see if I can get one that is 2". If he can, I'll get one that doesn't clink and grab one of the fancy looking ones for $12.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Downstem-Do...179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd4eeb03

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT* Could I just use an 18m/18f adapter as a spacer? K clip to hold d/s to adapter?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/18MM-MALE-1...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=141131681780&

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    SSVUN~YAH likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors