CCA Liger banger V3.0

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
@vapewithape

Your cleaning method was good and you have it put together properly.
You mentioned that this is your first enail, has it been used at all?
The odor you smell is likely coming off of the new heating coil itself, and will burn off with use.

As @mrbonsai420 notes, I would carb-cap with something other than the silicone cap.
Do you have any large marbles?
They would give you a nice seal (probably too good of a seal); it would emulate a Hurricane cap but w/o airflow.

Or the bottom of a glass container?

alittledabwilldoya',

herbivore21

@vapewithape

Your cleaning method was good and you have it put together properly.
You mentioned that this is your first enail, has it been used at all?
The odor you smell is likely coming off of the new heating coil itself, and will burn off with use.

As @mrbonsai420 notes, I would carb-cap with something other than the silicone cap.
Do you have any large marbles?
They would give you a nice seal (probably too good of a seal); it would emulate a Hurricane cap but w/o airflow.

Or the bottom of a glass container?
My man raises something relevant here. When we first take out and assemble heater coils, not only do they potentially have manufacturing residues or other residue from where they were warehoused etc to burn off but also oils from your hands (especially in hot climates!) will also cause some funky smells when you first assemble an enail. In both cases, it is simply a matter of burning off the coil.

Remember that ALL new titanium should be given a once over with thorough iso cleaning and scrub. There is often residual manufacturing oils etc found on titanium products from probably the majority of vape manufacturers as I think back! It is also important IMO with all titanium to examine all points where machining was done (especially cutting/drilling) since there can be fine burrs/loose shavings that slip past QC from vape manufacturers I've dealt with in the past (the examples I noticed were not enail manufacturers I should say, but it is still a potential problem there too). These should be carefully and fully removed where possible and where this isn't possible, it is important to contact the manufacturer and let them know. You don't want any chance of inhaling metal shavings! :2c:

This is all general advise for all vapes that use titanium and I should be very clear that I have never heard of the problems with burrs or shavings with any nail as of yet.

mutten840

Ok, so I have had a few days to train myself properly on using the V3 30mm and the V3 20mm and have to say. They are the shit!!!! a definite improvement on the V2 which was also a great nail. These are not beginner toys and will take a little time to really learn and get used to using. But the V2 was the same way. A great nail, that got better as the user learned how to use it optimally.

Here is my feedback for what I got this weekend in the mail

20mm V3 Liger with SiC insert:

It took a little bit to get my coil to seat as I wanted and after stretching it a little, it fit perfectly and once I was satisfied with the fit. I fired it up (I did a thorough cleaning prior) The first dab was at 670 and felt hot on the back of my throat and so I lowered the temp down 10 more degrees. It took another drop in temp to 650 before I was getting smooth and tasty dabs. The Hurricane cap is a bit large for the 20mm and I feel that the Storm cell cap will be a better performer here. The Hurricane cap is great. It is large as hell also and when using on the 20mm Liger. I found it did not benefit as much when angling and spinning the cab cap. But did work great and I do not want anyone to think I am hating. It is just BIG =)

The one main takeaway for me here was when I used a Qtip to clean up the leftover. It really helped keep the flavor at an optimal point when going back and dabbing a second dab later on.

30mm V3 Liger with Sapphire insert:

This thing is a beast!!! it is massive. It should be called a dab griddle and not a nail since it is the largest dab surface I have used. The Sapphire insert is bigger than expected and when held has a very substantial weight to it. Much nicer than I could of expected. It took a little messing with to get my coil to sit snug and this was due to some coils being rolled on the flat side compared to some that are rolled with the tall portion facing up instead of on its side. To fix this I had an old Sapphire ring from my old Halo dish and I used it to make up for the play. Once I had it snug it was working as expected. I set the temp to 650 and waited for it to heat up and saturate. Once I felt it was properly heated, I dropped a decent dab inside and covered with the Hurricane carb cap. This in my opinion is where the Hurricane cap shines as angling and spinning while toking helped to make sure the dab was properly moved around on the surface and the flavor. It was other level. It was like microwaving your food your whole life and then someone comes along and cooks you a good meal. It just blows your mind and makes you wonder what the hell have you been doing this whole time.
The biggest thing learned after my first dab was the Sapphire needs to be cleaned up after each dab. If you do not do this, the flavor goes downhill quickly with each dab after. Once I started cleaning up with a Qtip after my dabs. I consistently got perfect dabs and now have a jar of Qtips just for this purpose and cannot recommend this enough to anyone who wants to keep the flavor train coming through on each dab

The V3 inserts have more play than what the inserts had with the V2 versions. Josh said this is to make sure they do not get stuck into the dish and assured me the play would have no negative impacts to any of the inserts

The more I use both the above. The better it gets.

Hurricane cap:

It is massive!!!! You cannot begin to prepare yourself for it until you have it in hand. It feels like a ninja weapon or something maybe James Bond would of busted out. when in a tight spot. The airflow is above and beyond the older Storm cell cap and I really like the draw it has when dabbing. I think it is best suited for the 30mm as this is where the angle and spin technique really comes into play and works in the users favor. when using it on the 20mm all I did was spin and the angle did not have as much benefit as it did on the 30mm nail.

Of course I could not write the above without some pics for you guys =)

10mm adapers, 14/18 female adapter and some of the ends for the Hurricane cap:

Hurricane carb cap top down view:

Hurricane carb cap bottom view:

front facing view of 20mm and 30mm V3 ligers:

30mm V3 liger closeup:

30mm V3 liger Facing down with Sapphire dish insert:

30mm V3 liger side view:

20mm V3 liger sideview:

20mm V3 liger top down with SiC insert:

20mm V3 liger sideview:

Baron23

It took a little bit to get my coil to seat as I wanted and after stretching it a little, it fit perfectly and once I was satisfied with the fit.

And I can guarantee that if @mutten840 says it finally fit perfectly that it fit PERFECTLY!! ;):brow:

Hi mutten - so, I have two controllers/coil sets now and would like to buy a second Liger to go with my V2. I don't think I need 30 mm and am looking at a 20 mm with SiC again.

My question is about the Storm cap. I see you said that the Hurricane is quite large and not optimized necessarily for the 20 mm. My past slight issue with the 20 mm Storm cap was that it wasn't that easy to seat it properly on the bucket. Did the Storm cap or the bucket on the V3 change to make this better (I have thought that my Storm cap needed a bit of back cutting to guide the cap onto the bucket a bit better). Any thoughts or views on this.

Glad you like your V3....dab it in the best of health (as my grandmother would say...well, she would have if she vaped cannabis! LOL)

Thanks

mutten840

@Baron23 I have not gotten the newest version of the Storm cell cap, but know it is made to fit even the 30mm nail and should be a perfect match for the 20mm. The Hurricane cap works great with the 20mm. The one thing it does not benefit from much is being able to angle while rotating the carb cap on top of the nail. I found it worked best when just spinning and not trying to angle like I do on the 30mm nail.

My V2 Storm cell always sat nicely on my Liger and makes me wonder if you don't have a faulty one possibly. There should be silver rings on the bottom and those are supposed to mate to the top of the Liger That was one of the things I liked the most about the V2 Storm cell. It just mated up perfectly to the top of the Liger and all I had to do was spin it to make sure it was hitting all the edges.

The V3 def has a bit more of a learning curve than the V2 did. But it has only gotten better the more I get used to them =)

mutten840,
Reactions: Silat

Baron23

Hi @mutten840 - hope you are well. I don't think my Storm cap is defective. Here is the working end of it.

V2%20Storm%20Cap.jpeg

The bucket interfaces with the cap in the outer groove. Note that the sides of this are pretty straight up and down and there is NO side to side play whatsoever in its fit on the bucket.

So, if you don't nail getting it lined up on the bucket exactly correctly (while you are inhaling through a bubbler, mind you) the you have to futz around with it to get it on.

I'm not a mech engineer but I would think back cutting the side of the groove would make them operate as guides for mating the cap to bucket. No to take his name in vain, @mrbonsai420 has agreed with me and it was something that he and Josh have spoken about.

@mrbonsai420 - any change to the Storm cap in V3, particularly in how its fitted to the bucket?

alittledabwilldoya'

My question is about the Storm cap. I see you said that the Hurricane is quite large and not optimized necessarily for the 20 mm. My past slight issue with the 20 mm Storm cap was that it wasn't that easy to seat it properly on the bucket. Did the Storm cap or the bucket on the V3 change to make this better (I have thought that my Storm cap needed a bit of back cutting to guide the cap onto the bucket a bit better). Any thoughts or views on this.

I quite like the V3 20mm with the Hurricane Cap; and think that it pairs better with the 20 than the 30.
It is easier to angle the cap on the 20 vs the 30 as the cap has a greater degree of freedom on the smaller bucket.

V3 20mm with Hurricane Cap:

5DBkZ2b.jpg

V3 30mm w/ Hurricane Cap:

TVBHOwi.jpg

It's easy to spin on the 30, but there isn't much room for angling.

However, I find that I am using the Stormcell Cap the most when using my V3 20mm:

9Ndwp3f.jpg

It seals easily by placing it on top of the bucket.
The bevel in the bottom of the cap fits the bucket nicely.

It's tough to say which cap is the best.
I think that most beta testers prefer the Hurricane Cap.
I go back and forth; although both caps have 4 settings of variable air flow something about the Stormcell paired with my rig gives a nice draw.

@Baron23 , if your primary concern is the easy seating of your carbcap, I would recommend the Hurricane Cap as it's rounded bottom and greater weight make the seal immediate.

edit: I think that the bevels on the V3 Stormcell are the same in design as the V2 bevels (although I find the V3 Stormcell is ergonomic and easy to use)

:leaf:

Last edited:

mutten840

@Baron23 I swear my Storm cell cap is a bit different. It seems like I have a deeper lip on mine maybe. My pic is crap, but you can see the groove is shiny from spinning while dabbing. Maybe I wore my groove into it and just don't realize how much of a stoner I am?:science:

Baron23

@Baron23 I swear my Storm cell cap is a bit different. It seems like I have a deeper lip on mine maybe. My pic is crap, but you can see the groove is shiny from spinning while dabbing. Maybe I wore my groove into it and just don't realize how much of a stoner I am?:science:

Nah, man...you didn't wear that Ti out spinning it. :D I do think they look different though. Different vintage, maybe?

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Deeper lips may be. Main difference seems to be that Baron's Hurricane has four rings of lips while mutten's one has three?

Hogni,

alittledabwilldoya'

Deeper lips may be. Main difference seems to be that Baron's Hurricane has four rings of lips while mutten's one has three?

They look the same to me (they are both V2s, yes?).
I think it's just a slight difference in camera angle.
Both have two rings (one for the 16mm, one for the 20mm).
The discoloration in mutten's ring is likely from heat causing the Ti to change in color slightly.

I don't have a picture of the underside of the V3 Stormcell, but will post one shortly.

alittledabwilldoya',

Baron23

They look the same to me (they are both V2s, yes?).
I think it's just a slight difference in camera angle.
Both have two rings (one for the 16mm, one for the 20mm).
The discoloration in mutten's ring is likely from heat causing the Ti to change in color slightly.

I don't have a picture of the underside of the V3 Stormcell, but will post one shortly.
Yes, its the camera angle...in mine you see some of the other "fins" behind the bottom plate and it just looks like more grooves.

Thanks @alittledabwilldoya'. I will look forward to the picture

Cheers

ReeferChiefer

Just want to give you guys a short and simple summary of my time with the Liger v2/v3.

First, the size difference is very noticeable. The 30mm v3 is by far the best looking enail banger, imo. The flat coil design/option works very well. However, my flat coil seems to be too thin and so it wasn't sitting flush against the bottom of the banger. Due to this, I had to set the temp up to 900+ to get a decent hit. Installing a washer of roughly the same thickness as the coil did the trick. I now get very good hits at 670.
IMG_20161031_134759.jpg

IMG_20161031_134803.jpg

IMG_20161103_152931.jpg

Here is a size comparison when used on my smallest piece. The weight even with the drop down isn't so heavy it tips over. I think this setup uses just the right amount of titanium. No more than needed for its function. And speaking of function, the airflow is much better on the v3 compared to the v2.
IMG_20161103_155806.jpg

IMG_20161103_155740.jpg

Finally let me talk about the caps. Flat out, I prefer the new Storm cap better. The thing that stands out most at first is how perfectly it sits on the Liger. It creates a perfect seal. If you like to twist your dabber while capping, the Hurricane cap is for you. However, this is my problem with the Hurricane cap. Due to the flared out design, it doesn't allow you to tip the cap on its axis too far until it breaks the seal. If you take away the flare and simply continue with the "ball" shape, making its circumference slightly bigger than the opening of the Liger. Naturally this will create a bottom-heavy effect and when paired with the new Stinger Dabber you never have to worry about the cap falling off the nail. Just an idea, and I hope that makes sense.

IMG_20161103_155853.jpg

Last edited:

ReeferChiefer

I was being thoughtful of people with slow internet or small screens.

edit:

Here's a short video demonstrating what I am trying to achieve with the Hurricane cap. The tilt doesn't have to be this extreme but this is the angle that works due to the flare design. Eliminate the flare, continue the ball shape up beyond the point of the flare, and you got yourself a winner.

At the moment, if you try tilting the cap slightly it breaks seal right away. If I wanted to simply twist the dabber with my finger tips, I would stick with the Storm Cell design. So what exactly sets the Hurricane apart if it can be used almost exactly the same way? Take away the flare, reshape it a bit and you not only still have a very distinct looking cap, but the function and as well as its use draws it further away from its sister products.

Last edited:

ReeferChiefer

Found a PERFECT example. It's cheap china glass but the chinese know something about function. Picture the Hurricane cap but instead of a entire ball (I like this look better) you can cut it off just above the half way point of the ball. Using the technique I showed in the video it helps spread the concentrate throughout the large 30mm surface. This design was MEANT for the 30mm Liger. This must happen, please!

rBVaEVf--UqAZwjoAATt5lYEKfc913.jpg

KimDracula

I'd like to see this design tried. That's how I thought the Hurricane Cap functioned until that vid.

KimDracula,
Reactions: Danksta

ReeferChiefer

I'd like to see this design tried. That's how I thought the Hurricane Cap functioned until that vid.
That's what I thought too when I bought it. I bought it for that specific reason and it was a bit of a let down but it was my assumption after all.

I can see this being implemented easily. The goal is to keep a good seal when tilting on its axis and have the motion of the tilt direct the airflow much better than it can the way it is now.

ReeferChiefer,
Reactions: KimDracula

Danksta

Does the seal break all the time or just with your technique? I thought I've seen it in action and it didn't look like how you spin it. I think you are angling it different? Don't have mine yet to play with myself. Wondering if I should get the storm cell instead, very conflicted.

Danksta,

ReeferChiefer

Does the seal break all the time or just with your technique? I thought I've seen it in action and it didn't look like how you spin it. I think you are angling it different? Don't have mine yet to play with myself. Wondering if I should get the storm cell instead, very conflicted.
Right, let me clarify.

The cap fits perfectly as it should. It does create a solid seal and when twisting it with your fingers, it remains sealed. However, once you attempt to tilt it (just few millimeters) it breaks the seal.

The video I posted shows the method I want to use with the carb cap, however, in order for it to slide the way you see in the video so smoothly it needs to be at that extreme angle due to the large flared lip. If you eliminate that lip, the tilt isn't so severe. All that needs to happen is for you to be able to tilt it (about 10 degrees?) in order to push the intake of air onto the sides of the dish. Then, using the technique I showed in the video, you ever so lightly push it around with one finger. It's a fine balancing act but it works so good. I can just imagine if CCA710 invests into improving on this design.

ReeferChiefer,

alittledabwilldoya'

@ReeferChiefer

The Hurricane will provide the action you're looking for on the 20.
I like the Stormcell for the 20 or 30, while the Hurricane seems best suited for the 20.

I wouldn't be opposed to a larger rounded bottom cap for the 30.
Here is the dabber/carbcap that is (I believe) the original concept that the DHgate piece is emulating:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMHpT5RA__Q/?taken-by=pukinbeagle

They make one for a 25mm bucket and a 50mm bucket!

alittledabwilldoya',

ReeferChiefer

@ReeferChiefer

The Hurricane will provide the action you're looking for on the 20.
I like the Stormcell for the 20 or 30, while the Hurricane seems best suited for the 20.

I wouldn't be opposed to a larger rounded bottom cap for the 30.
Here is the dabber/carbcap that is (I believe) the original concept that the DHgate piece is emulating:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMHpT5RA__Q/?taken-by=pukinbeagle

They make one for a 25mm bucket and a 50mm bucket!
Yeah I tested it on my 20 but like I said earlier, I think this kind of carb function is perfect for a bigger dish. The best part of it all is the fact this is a modular system. All Josh would need to make is a bowl shaped cap with threading on it. I could also see him making a short pointy extension you can attach/screw to the bottom like you can those dabber tips, but this would function like those glass carb caps you posted. It would help direct the airflow in the same manner. And since this is a modular system, again, these airflow attachments could also be of different shapes or designs to give the user options of what they prefer best, like the tips already available.

Baron23

Yeah I tested it on my 20 but like I said earlier, I think this kind of carb function is perfect for a bigger dish. The best part of it all is the fact this is a modular system. All Josh would need to make is a bowl shaped cap with threading on it. I could also see him making a short pointy extension you can attach/screw to the bottom like you can those dabber tips, but this would function like those glass carb caps you posted. It would help direct the airflow in the same manner. And since this is a modular system, again, these airflow attachments could also be of different shapes or designs to give the user options of what they prefer best, like the tips already available.
I agree...get the radius right and a cap shaped like a section of a ball would work for both 30 and 20 and provide full range of motion while staying sealed.

Yep, great idea and I hope Josh would consider it.

The questions I can't answer is how difficult/expensive it is to make something like this out of Ti?

ReeferChiefer

And I just want to note, I believe that this design while it isn't new, it would work with a much better fit/seal on titanium than you ever could with glass. Glass will always have more surface imperfections compared to machined products. The function itself would improve (enough for most of us to notice) just simply by using titanium.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I just hope I'm right...

ReeferChiefer,
Reactions: Armerad
Top Bottom