CCA Liger banger V3.0

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Just got the custom Augusthaus coil for my 30mm liger and WOW what a difference it makes!

With the d-nail extended life flat coil, i had to set 540F minimum on the controller for a milky hit with a bit of flavor loss and 515 - 525F for flavorful hit, but with a fair amount of puddle chasing.

with the Augusthaus coil (after only doing a few "test runs") I've been getting TOO MUCH milk at 520F with a bit of a rough hit and some flavor loss. I'm currently at 480F and STILL getting a very milky hit with minimal puddle chasing. i will be pushing for lower temps as i "experiment" further

i immediately notice what a big difference having that "cup" shaped coil around the insert makes for more efficient, fuller oil vaporization and flavor. in comparison with the d-nail extended flat coil i was using, the inferior heat distribution of the regular-shaped flat coil clearly shows itself. in my opinion, the flat coil doesn't heat the liger enclosure well enough. so, as you apply the carb cap and the oil hits the walls of the insert, it cools too much and doesn't vaporize enough when you're trying to push for minimal temp and maximum flavor.

i haven't tried the 20mm, but I'm guessing that having that barrel style coil does a lot for making the heat distribution and flavor better on the insert than a regular flat coil does on the 30mm, as it also creates that "cup" shape around it, but with the Augusthaus coil upgrade, I think the 30mm is now very much like a fat 20mm, as I'm assuming it was always designed to be. bigger surface with no loss in efficiency.

yeah, if you got a 30mm liger, you gotta get an Augusthaus coil. it's like night and day compared to the regular flat coil.

now, i'm even more excited for my hexnail HN-02 to arrive so i can try out this new coil with glob mode.

foaPvRe.jpg

Nice!
I just received my AugustHaus Coil and larger CCA shroud today too!
The coil is a beast.
The DNail flat I have has two wraps of heater; while the AH coils has six!
And the wraps get larger as the coil goes along (so 6 wraps is waaay more than 3x the heater of the 2 wraps); Hex-Nail flat has 3 wraps).
+ the AH coil has a cord that must be 10' long.
@Gn0sis, you'rw using a DNail controller, have you used the AH coil on a HN-01?

I'm awaiting a call back from Ava with Hex-Nail for a compatibility okay before I hook it up.

.... THIS JUST IN: @HexNailAva says wattage requirements for the larger coil are no problem.
I'm cooling down my nail now for a coil/shroud change over.

Super excited ... hoping this is a game changer.

:science:

Last edited:

Gn0sis

Nice!
I just received my AugustHaus Coil and larger CCA shroud today too!
The coil is a beast.
The DNail flat I have has two wraps of heater; while the AH coils has six!
And the wraps get larger as the coil goes along (so 6 wraps is waaay more than 3x the heater of the 2 wraps).
@Gn0sis, you'rw using a DNail controller, have you used the AH coil on a HN-01?

I'm awaiting a call back from Ava with Hex-Nail for a compatibility okay before I hook it up.

.... THIS JUST IN: @HexNailAva says wattage requirements for the larger coil are no problem.
I'm cooling down my nail now for a coil/shroud change over.

Super excited ... hoping this is a game changer.

:science:

the HN-02 is going to be my first hexnail device. i already figured the AH coil should work with it after reading an earlier post by Ava saying the hexnail hardware can potentially handle a coil of up to 300W and the AH one is only 150W. so, since the wiring is all the same, i took the chance.

can't wait to get an update of when the Red Queens are expected to start shipping out :brow:

alittledabwilldoya'

WOOF!

First dab on the mega AH coil 30mm and I dropped temperature by 10% ... nice dab, probably too hot.
Dropping an additional 5% now.

Keep in mind this is with no tunings on the Hex-Nail for the larger coil.
I'm currently running the HN-01 with a coil type: "30mm flat" nail type: "None".
(This was suggested by Ava as a starting point)
A specific tuning for the AH coil would only improve performance.

Here comes dab #2 @ -15% ... frankly I'm pretty faded already.

:whoa:

Oh, and I just received Obsidian #35.
Super sexy, mirror-like finish.

:cool:

chainz

is there a big difference in the vapor quality or heat with the AH coil?
The thermocouple that measures the temperature is in the coil, so a bigger coil can transfer heat to the liger more efficiently because of the increased surface areas touching. I don’t think the temp of the insert is that drastically different though?

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
i already figured the AH coil should work with it after reading an earlier post by Ava saying the hexnail hardware can potentially handle a coil of up to 300W and the AH one is only 150W. so, since the wiring is all the same, i took the chance.

Whaaaaaa? where did she say that? I've read the thread a few times and don't recall any mention of power capability whatsoever. Also, my AH coil is 250w, not 150w....maybe there is variance in the coils he's making?...which would seem odd as August said the main issue in using things with other controllers and vice versa was the coil draw, maybe this is him moving inline with the "standard"?

The thermocouple that measures the temperature is in the coil, so a bigger coil can transfer heat to the liger more efficiently because of the increased surface areas touching. I don’t think the temp of the insert is that drastically different though?

Yeah I'm stoked others are seeing significant drops in temp, Im kinda with you though and don't really see how....... I didn't see appreciable change in vapor at the same temps on the different coils, however, temps are even more stable and the actual vaporization seems more stable and even across the sides but things are pretty much as milky with a standard flat coil on the hex as the AH coil on the Kube. The temp tracking on the Kube is pretty bootsy compared to the Hex though and the Kube is offset for the quartz banger only so really the test will be when/if the 250w coil is good to go on the Hex......which I've been eagerly waiting to find out for weeks now.

ensabbahnur,
Reactions: Hogni

Gn0sis

YES. pretty significant difference. i explained it in a bit more detail a few posts back on the last page.

Whaaaaaa? where did she say that? I've read the thread a few times and don't recall any mention of power capability whatsoever. Also, my AH coil is 250w, not 150w....maybe there is variance in the coils he's making?...which would seem odd as August said the main issue in using things with other controllers and vice versa was the coil draw, maybe this is him moving inline with the "standard"?

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/h...-much-more-to-come.22541/page-21#post-1122387
Oh, and just to re-iterate. The 'tunings' we have are NOT the only products with Hex-Nail is compatible with. We can use any power (110-250v) & have tested it extensively with up to 150w heaters. With it's current specs the HN-01 is theoretically compatible with any wattage up to (approx.) 300w (@110v). The hardware limits are higher than that, but changing to a larger fuse in an attempt to red-line the hardware would result in a voided warranty.

As long as it uses a K-Type thermocouple in the 'Industry Standard' 5-pin config you should be good to go. We really do recommend consulting us before trying anything too far out of your usual set-up for the time being though. We have one customer running a QCB XL Banger & 24mm coil (150w, IIRC). Even sent us one of the coils to get a good baseline for it at some point.

lol guess you missed a page....

also, Augusthaus has it written on his website that the Liger coil is 150W
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/h...-much-more-to-come.22541/page-21#post-1122387

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
YES. pretty significant difference. i explained it in a bit more detail a few posts back on the last page.

lol guess you missed a page....

also, Augusthaus has it written on his website that the Liger coil is 150W

I did completely I guess....somehow several times, Ive never even thought to use a bigger fuse, I didn't even think that would be the limiting factor, well off to have some fun testing it out today as i wait for my carpets to dry i suppose.

And to be sure, my AH coil says 250w right on the handle.....which too be totally honest kinda pisses me off as August had said clearly and specifically (when i directly asked him about this exact issue) he wouldn't (and via extension, we shouldn't at penalty of voiding warranty) use coils of different amperage on the Kube....when clearly now this isn't true, gonna take those 2 other coils i was gonna have him do and spend my money elsewhere. And I fully get this is the Liger thread and we are now on hex nails and AH coils but......its extra frustrating dealing with already flaky "artisans" start telling you the wrong info or unilaterally start changing their methods/product.

At any rate, will report back on my findings and finally a proper comparison of the Hex and Kube.

ensabbahnur,

Gn0sis

I did completely I guess....somehow several times, Ive never even thought to use a bigger fuse, I didn't even think that would be the limiting factor, well off to have some fun testing it out today as i wait for my carpets to dry i suppose.

And to be sure, my AH coil says 250w right on the handle.....which too be totally honest kinda pisses me off as August had said clearly and specifically (when i directly asked him about this exact issue) he wouldn't (and via extension, we shouldn't at penalty of voiding warranty) use coils of different amperage on the Kube....when clearly now this isn't true, gonna take those 2 other coils i was gonna have him do and spend my money elsewhere. And I fully get this is the Liger thread and we are now on hex nails and AH coils but......its extra frustrating dealing with already flaky "artisans" start telling you the wrong info or unilaterally start changing their methods/product.

At any rate, will report back on my findings and finally a proper comparison of the Hex and Kube.

i called Augusthaus about a separate thing before, he seemed like a cool guy...

have you tried reaching out to AH to inquire why your coil is 250W? perhaps he'll take care of you? his direct phone number is either in the emails with the order confirmation or right on his website. i called once and he picked up on the first try. why dont you give that a try also? (He's in PA, so East Coast time)

but your post just made me go look at my coil... the handle says: 150W and a manufacturing date of 10/19/17.

on a side note, the liger is now a lot more sensitive to temperature changes of the coil. I clearly notice the difference in taste and amount of milk produced with just a 5-6 degree adjustment on the controller.

i'm guessing that once the hexnail gets dialed in with this coil, you should be able to get really precise control over the temperature of your dabs

Last edited:
Gn0sis,

Danksta

It's exciting some FC members got the AH coil now and are putting it through it's paces. I've been considering the steel Kube for a bit now and these early reports are peaking my interest level. :D

Danksta,
Reactions: Puddy

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Ive been in contact with August, thats never really been a problem, Im just at a loss as to why Id ask a specific question, via email so there is no misunderstandings with what i said, and Id get an answer that doesn't seem to track with whats going on now......and this is all less than 45 days ago....honestly I don't care as long as everything works as its claimed, and with the AH coil + Kube it does just that......

Soooooooooo.........

I hooked up the AH coil to the Hex, set the profile to 30mm flat Liger, dropped the temp to 475 as what i thought was a solid starting point based on the previous reports, hit coil on (now remember, both pi based controllers seem to take about 5-15 seconds after you tell them to go hot, to actually do anything) waited 15 seconds, 20, 25, 30, about to freak out and shut it down and i feel significant heat from the Liger (still reading 67-68 on the Hex) and after almost 40 seconds the Hex shows the temps very slowly rising, much slower than any other coil I've Used on the Hex, and I also notice the green power line looks completely different than it normally does, much more erratic. I wait to heat soak the bucket, coil reads 475 and nail I wanna say it was 360-370, get my pie crust in place, drop the dab.....ALMOST bursts into flames (absolutely no exaggeration) as it hits the Obsidian and instantly chars the entire dish........so obviously something Isn't working as expected. Im gonna clean the dish, which should be a good test for it anyways.....and the digout the ol IR gun and see whats what, the Hex nail tracking was always very close to what the IR gun said (with emissivity offset correctly input) so at the least it will give me a good ballpark to start in.

To clarify, I dabbed less than an hour ago with the same coil and nail setup in everyway, not modified at all, on the Kube with great results.....and at a higher set temp......plug it into the Hex, with a ~50 lower set temp, and almost get fire.

Danksta

Thanks for that post. You have helped me make my informed decision to keep ignoring the Hex for my situation.

I hope August has a black friday sale but I'm not assuming he will given he's a one man show. Fingers crossed. :2c:

Danksta,
Reactions: Shooby

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Thanks for that post. You have helped me make my informed decision to keep ignoring the Hex for my situation.

I hope August has a black friday sale but I'm not assuming he will given he's a one man show. Fingers crossed. :2c:

Assuming the 02 is literally the 01, with an led ring instead of a screen, Id give the nod to the 02 over the Kubes.....strictly from a performance view.

The Kubes glob mode is nonfunctional, Ive NEVER gotten it to work properly twice.....it will sometimes look like its working after a while but its very hard to tell, which brings me to another issue, the Kubes temp chart is always 0-1000, so your lines are tiny and right on top of each other and there is no way to zoom or modify the chart to my knowledge. The app itself is not what I would call rock solid, sometimes its connected to the Kube right off, other times you have to manually connect it....no rhyme or reason although it does always connect from a cold power on of the nail and the app. The Kube, whenever its on, is constantly advertising itself over BLE, I haven't bothered to see if I can get into it as it doesn't have an active network connection but for those who are concerned of privacy.

And maybe more to the point, this thing with the AH coil on the Hex finally casts a contrast between the Kube and other nails and Ive always felt the temps on the Kube didn't reflect the "significant" differences the AH coil "should" have allowed.....I mean my initial thought on the almost burnt dab is all the "extra heat" that the coil transfers was overkill for the Liger but that doesn't explain why the Kube performed SO differently with the identical nail/insert/coil and makes me think its somehow fibbing/not reading right/offset for quartz somehow.

Im still waiting for the insert to clean but today is looking pretty interesting

Update edit: Insert cleaned, 10 min soak in distilled water with a q tip wipe took the Obsidian back to basically new.

Set the Hex to 420 this time, set everything up and hit HEAT, waited even longer this time before the Hex registered any temp changes yet within seconds I could feel heat coming off the Liger and hear the coil start to make its expansion noises. The temp lines on the Hex, are normally pretty smooth on warm up..... had big spikes up AND down during heat up...which makes ZERO sense to me, after the hex said coil was 420 and low 300s for nail, my IR gun read low 700s on the dish.

At this point Im gonna step aside and let someone else put their rigs on the line for clarity and science as there is obviously SOMETHING not playing nicely with my setup.

Last edited:

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
For anyone wanting to try the AH coil with your Hex-Nail...We're hoping to have one of them in hand (a few members have oferred to loan us one) soon so we can get a profile done for it (and just test it in general). We'll be testing it with 01 and 02s. We're excited to give it a shot.

If you see any issues or oddities pop up PM me and we'll get it taken care of. A 250w coil is definitely pushing the limits and red-lining.

*carry on*

alittledabwilldoya'

@ensabbahnur If you try the AH coil again with the HN-01 I would try setting the HN-01 to "30mm Flat" and the nail type to "None" as opposed to "Liger v3 30mm".

This was @HexNailAva 's suggestion for a starting point.
I've had my HN-01 driving the AH coil with these settings for the last ~24hrs with a very steady power draw of ~18% to maintain a coil temp of 630*.

After first switching to the AH coil I tried my normal settings of "30mm Flat" and "Liger v3 Sapphire", thinking that I would change only one variable in the equation; in this case the AH coil.
But the temps fluctuated much more than normal.
My thoughts on this are that the tuned setting are all based on data collected by Ava & Co. from real world thermocouples connected directly to the nails and coils. (they have some cool pics on their IG page)
When one selects any of the tunes the algorithm is expecting a certain feedback from the coil's thermocouple based on said data and the HN-01 simply isn't getting what it expects so it's responding erratically to correct for it's "expectations".

When one chooses "None" for the nail type the HN-01 is only relying on feedback from the coil's thermocouple; and is not receiving "confusing" feedback from a inaccurate nail choice.
Take all this with a grain of salt as it's mostly educated conjecture.
And my AH coil is a 150w.

:shrug::rockon:

Last edited:

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
Toss out poss from a totes newb who has been burned too much by a torch to do enough concentrates...loving everything I am hearing about the Liger and want one for my first enail set up- both feet approach ya know...but so torn by the flat vs 20mm debates, which insert to get...then there is buying a controller...i came into some forgotten cash and want to burn it. But I have to decide if I want to go all out on the controller set up now and put off the Liger (ie getting a Kubeone prolly steel) or go get an Auber 300 and start building out a Liger set. Just so pricey and scared to take the plunge on all these many parts.:myday:

@alittledabwilldoya' , boihowdy that sapphire sounds fancy!

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
@KimDracula Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the triggers tonight.

@Baron23 huge fan. See you at vl often. Is it worth it to just get the cables and nails (prolly 20mm) from Auber with the bad boy? Or should i toss the money on the nail to something from CCA and wait out the apparently long time? Your posts pushed me into looking at Auber over h5 or some other controllers. Love The 300s nerdy safety features at that price point! Otherwise I'm working with my below set up...

[IMG=[URL]https://allthepics.net/image/gjmRg][/IMG[/URL]]

gjmRg

Slagzord,

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
Toss out poss from a totes newb who has been burned too much by a torch to do enough concentrates...loving everything I am hearing about the Liger and want one for my first enail set up- both feet approach ya know...but so torn by the flat vs 20mm debates, which insert to get...then there is buying a controller...i came into some forgotten cash and want to burn it. But I have to decide if I want to go all out on the controller set up now and put off the Liger (ie getting a Kubeone prolly steel) or go get an Auber 300 and start building out a Liger set. Just so pricey and scared to take the plunge on all these many parts.:myday:

Liger first. Why? For starters, they are made to order so if you order Monday, expect to get your Liger by early December. If you end up ordering your controller first, you will be staring at the controller for 2-3 weeks wishing you had your Liger.

You can always get a Newvape controller and coil for $150 shipped or less.

As for the 20 or 30 debate. that is purely on you to decide or just get one and get the other one in the future. I got the 30mm and i have no regrets.

I am debating on getting the 20mm but there is so many other shit i wanna get before i get a 20mm liger. I guess if i run into forgotten cash, ill go for the 20mm. (thats never gonna happen!)

Shooby,

alittledabwilldoya'

I recommend going with the Liger first and going cheap on your first controller.

I concur.

Why thank you!
Sapphire is truly the smoothest and tastiest dabding surface.

Here's a couple of pics of my baby sporting the new AH custom coil & larger shroud from @CCA710:

SZGKvX4.jpg

qUOo4HZ.jpg

Could be the endgame?

Top Bottom