Carta by Focus V

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
I checked my atomizer with a thermal camera, I can't read any temperature above 360F on the coil on any of the settings and I can't get a hit either

Your issues seem really similar to mine. Tiny wispy hits on temp 1 and 2 and a quartz bucket full of warm oil.

@FocusV whats the best way to go about troubleshooting this together? I'd really like to be able to use this thing ASAP

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
Same here. The first hit I got off the Carta was great, haven't had one like it since.

I'm really hoping it's not something I'm doing wrong.

If there are at least a few folks with the same issue I feel much better.

I'm far from an expert but I very strongly think these issues are related to the buckets not interfacing (not sure what the right word is) with the coil properly.

When I have the quartz bucket in my early v2 atomizer or in my production atomizer it rattles around. It seems pretty clear to me that its not firmly pressed down against the heating coil.

Would a video showing the quartz rattling around in the atomizers help?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm really hoping it's not something I'm doing wrong.

If there are at least a few folks with the same issue I feel much better.

I'm far from an expert but I very strongly think these issues are related to the buckets not interfacing (not sure what the right word is) with the coil properly.

When I have the quartz bucket in my early v2 atomizer or in my production atomizer it rattles around. It seems pretty clear to me that its not firmly pressed down against the heating coil.

Honestly I think it's blowing the coil from heating up so fast.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So you're thinking the rattle is completely unrelated?

Now I'm even more lost. :huh:

I just saw that part you added, yeah my bucket is pretty sturdy, I think you have a separate issue which could be responsible for your lack of vapor production, but I'm pretty sure my atty is blown. I think the Carta heats up so fast it's zapping them.

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
I just saw that part you added, yeah my bucket is pretty sturdy, I think you have a separate issue which could be responsible for your lack of vapor production, but I'm pretty sure my atty is blown. I think the Carta heats up so fast it's zapping them.

I'll shoot a video tonight and maybe y'all can help confirm my suspicions or tell me I'm crazy :lol:

Edit: If I am right and my quartz bucket is just sitting on the coil with absolutely zero pressure at all, do you guys think could be the cause of wispy hits or am I way off here?

Last edited:
jimsmith90210,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Edit: If I am right and my quartz bucket is just sitting on the coil with absolutely zero pressure at all, do you guys think could be the cause of wispy hits or am I way off here?

I suspect your way off. Heat does not require pressure...it only requires contact. I heat inserts from the bottom only with no downward pressure whatsoever with no problem.

freddiegibbs

I believe this is happening to me as well. After my first 2 dabs with titanium, I swapped in quartz and only use it at level 2. I've been noticing less vapor when I cold fire my 1st cycle, though 2nd cycle is better. I just put the ti cup back in at level 2, and it didn't produce the same dense vapor and overhot taste as the first time I tried it. I'll see what happens when I pop in another atty.

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
I suspect your way off. Heat does not require pressure...it only requires contact. I heat inserts from the bottom only with no downward pressure whatsoever with no problem.

Pressure might have been too strong of a term. The quartz bucket weighs next to nothing so gravity isn't going to firm hold it down onto the coil, and when I have it installed in my atomizer housing it's loose and rattles around.

I'll try to film some tonight to give you guys a better idea of what I'm talking about.

jimsmith90210,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Pressure might have been too strong of a term. The quartz bucket weighs next to nothing so gravity isn't going to firm hold it down onto the coil, and when I have it installed in my atomizer housing it's loose and rattles around.

I'll try to film some tonight to give you guys a better idea of what I'm talking about.
I understand you completely. I am saying I heat inserts daily with them resting on a ceramic heater similar to that of the Carta V with nothing holding the insert down but gravity. I have successfully heated inserts from the size of the Peak inserts to the size of 19mm OD and they don't require anything more than gravity and contact. Hell, I can't even say the contact is consistent or that it even covers the entire floor and I get a rattle if I move around too much but the dish still heats up like it should.

It really sounds like a heater issue. Your heater is probably not putting off the correct temp due to a short or electrical defect in your atomizer or base.

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
I understand you completely. I am saying I heat inserts daily with them resting on a ceramic heater similar to that of the Carta V with nothing holding the insert down but gravity. I have successfully heated inserts from the size of the Peak inserts to the size of 19mm OD and they don't require anything more than gravity and contact. Hell, I can't even say the contact is consistent or that it even covers the entire floor and I get a rattle if I move around too much but the dish still heats up like it should.

It really sounds like a heater issue. Your heater is probably not putting off the correct temp due to a short or electrical defect in your atomizer or base.

Thanks for the info! You clearly know much more than I do :bowdown:

I think I had the exact same issue with production quartz bucket in my early v2 atomizer and in my production atomizer.

Tonight I'll try both v2 quartz buckets in both of my v2 atomizers.

Last edited:
jimsmith90210,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Well knowing my luck of course the Android File they gave me seems to be corrupt. I have already reached out to get the updated android tonight. I cant test the iOS upgrade so anyone with an iOS device DM me so I can send you the file direct for your testing. I think there is a app i need to use to get that setup for you to use on iOS manual install but again hard for me to test without a device :/ but more then willing to work with any Apple guys out there to get it going for everyone!

Attys:

We will be adding the heating elements as well as an Atty repair kit to the site next week. The repair kit will have any tools needed to do the job easily (good set of cutters, tweezers and some ceramic heaters etc..) we will also add the actual heating element to the site as well. for basically like $5.00 you will be able to get 4 to 5 heating elements that way if you prefer long term you can just replace that portion. the housing of the atty should almost always be fine. its 100% of the time going to be a ceramic issue if there is an issue.
(still working on the everlast atty. making some progress will post some details when its closer to prototype phase.)

We will still also have the subscription option available! which will include such items as the heating elements, attys, buckets, carb caps etc...

Pretty close to the Dry Herb Atty getting out to the beta guys! I am stoked to get that thing up and out there.
Please be in touch. I have Apple devices, and I am familiar with side loading apps onto them. Let’s do this

PhreedomPhries,

freddiegibbs

Seems like my 2nd atty has already degraded after a couple hits. Wispy vapor on 1st cycle, but better on the 2nd. It's definitely a best practice to wait a considerable amount of time between cycles. 1) you're stressing the coil, but 2) you might also be burning your material. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like there's temp calibration like the Peak has. So after your 1st cycle ends, the atomizer is obviously still very hot. But if you immediately click on the 2nd cycle, heatup takes roughly the same amount of time as a cold start. I'd be interested to know what temp that immediate reheat is hitting.

started@52

Mine arrived early today. Unboxed it, cleaned it and put pre charged batteries in it. Dropped the carb cap 3 times in the process so I had to improvise a tether

Did three small sessions with about .025 shatter in each.
First one on level one in quartz did not produce much vapor at all. Second on level two in quartz not much better but better. Third was on level one in the Ti cup and it was better then both quartz but not crazy good. Level two might rock, I’ll let ya know. I’m still learning it and will try some wax crumble or budda before bed. Maybe my load size is too small?

Cross posted
FC371-CAC-EE0-A-42-AD-83-E7-E06-C81-D57-E6-C.jpg
5-BE1-C6-D1-8-AAE-4-F25-ACDE-57-E42-BB67-F02.jpg

F397548-F-333-F-4-BCE-BA2-D-45-F4132-FA72-D.jpg

started@52,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Seems like my 2nd atty has already degraded after a couple hits. Wispy vapor on 1st cycle, but better on the 2nd. It's definitely a best practice to wait a considerable amount of time between cycles. 1) you're stressing the coil, but 2) you might also be burning your material. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like there's temp calibration like the Peak has. So after your 1st cycle ends, the atomizer is obviously still very hot. But if you immediately click on the 2nd cycle, heatup takes roughly the same amount of time as a cold start. I'd be interested to know what temp that immediate reheat is hitting.

I have an assumption that so much power is applied to the heater for a quick heat-up, that the coils resistance can blow and continue to rise until it's no longer functional. Trying higher temps after this sets in would just further increase the resistance, to the point it eventually won't get hot enough to vaporize.

I base this on the observation that when I first got it, vapor would pour out of the carb cap before it even turned green.

I also agree about the re-heat taking seemingly as long as the the initial startup.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Listen up, all! Puffitup did an IG stream on the Carta today. Zakk did an excellent job illustrating how he cleans it. The story is up so check it out. It's only up for 24 hours, so I think you have maybe 17 hours left to view.

BTW, for those of you on android, check out an app called StorySave which allows you to save streams to watch later or to save for reference. Wonderful app. And you watch it playback in Media Player so you get the benefit of a SCROLL BAR! :bowdown:

MonkeyTime

Listen up, all! Puffitup did an IG stream on the Carta today. Zakk did an excellent job illustrating how he cleans it. The story is up so check it out. It's only up for 24 hours, so I think you have maybe 17 hours left to view.

BTW, for those of you on android, check out an app called StorySave which allows you to save streams to watch later or to save for reference. Wonderful app. And you watch it playback in Media Player so you get the benefit of a SCROLL BAR! :bowdown:

Great post in many ways, thank you Summer!

MonkeyTime,
Reactions: Summer

Summer

Long Island, NY
Just finished watching Randall's IG stream from yesterday wherein we got to meet his business partner, Christine. It was all about the Carta. It was interesting.

One question I have is what's a "puck?" Someone brought it up & then went it into Chinese vs. Americsn, but Randall hasn't decided yet. He asked what we think because of double the price for US. I didn't think anything not knowing what a puck is. :p

The stream should be up for another 9 hours from my post time -- EST. Catch it if you can

Summer,
Reactions: Shrike

grobbo

I've read the issues experienced and I hope they're kinks that can be worked out or user error, I feel less salty since mine has yet to arrive lol.

Skimming focusv's IG live stream last week and clipped this about carta cleaning and keeping the atty going. It sounds higher maintenance than I anticipated but this is the kind of info that should be available on the site/focusv's youtube for users to get the most out of it. These products are simple but small differences can mean everything! Didn't ask to share this but I can take it down if asked :)

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Skimming focusv's IG live stream last week and clipped this about carta cleaning and keeping the atty going. It sounds higher maintenance than I anticipated but this is the kind of info that should be available on the site/focusv's youtube for users to get the most out of it.

Did you check out PIUs IG stream that I referenced 2 posts up? Zakk went through the how tos of keeping the Carta clean in detail.

Summer,
Reactions: grobbo

grobbo

Did you check out PIUs IG stream that I referenced 2 posts up? Zakk went through the how tos of keeping the Carta clean in detail.

I missed it and as informative as these streams are I dont like how they can only be seen for a day and require you to go on IG. The more info the better when it comes to performance/maintance since this is the first time most have used a carta or erig. I think youtube is a better format at least as an archive.

Hoosier

Well, a week in to using a production unit and I can say this thing is very close to being IT.

Really wish the app was working for me, as I have a couple of jars that would work better with a little more/less heat than level 2.

The fact that an immediate reheat takes as long as the initial really makes me wonder about the tc stablization on the device...

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
I’ve got to say I am not completely blown away by the Carta. I think they need to improve on their atomizer’s and their insert cups. The cups allow concentrates to get to the atomizer too easily. They sound like a decent company and they seem interested about resolving some of their issues. I’ve used it numerous times and it gives me inconsistent results and wax inside atomizer. I’ll either put it away until they fix the issues or sell it.

LAWTHEONE,
Top Bottom