Cannabis and the immune system

gb902

Vaporog
I have read many times about the immunodepressant property of cannabis, in other words... vaping, smoking or eating cannabis compromise and lower our immune, raising the risk of infections and common diseases (like cold, fever, flu, cough, etc...).
I have made many researches, but it seems to be a undiscovered mechanism, and for now I have found only theories.
I personally smoked occasionally until last summer, then I started to vape regularly about 3 times a week.
I have made many generic blood analysis, but everytime all seems to be perfect, including antibodies (like IgE and IgG).

So is this only a myth that waits to be busted, or it's matter of time?
Are there any scientific basis?

Thanks

gb902,
Reactions: Debo175

max

Out to lunch
I don't know if there are solid studies to support this, or if it's just more flawed data that opponents want to be true. Certainly other anti-cannabis claims that were seemingly based on good research have been proven to be false. My immune system didn't change to any perceptable degree when I started smoking. Didn't see any change, immunity wise, when I switched from smoke to vapor either. Where I did see a change was when I started a healthier lifestyle-quit smoking cigs, started exercising on a regular basis, and improved my nutrition, which included adding supplements to my diet. Giving your immune system the proper nutrients for fuel, and reducing stress and toxins, is a lot more important IMO, than whether you ingest mj or not.

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Smoking can compromise immunity to pathogens, and may be the 'x' factor behind such claims. :2c:

Progress,

lwien

max said:
Giving your immune system the proper nutrients for fuel, and reducing stress and toxins, is a lot more important IMO, than whether you ingest mj or not.
And exercise..........which is one of the main things in strengthening ones immune system on many different fronts.

lwien,
Reactions: ataxian

GreenLeaf

Progress said:
Smoking can compromise immunity to pathogens, and may be the 'x' factor behind such claims. :2c:
I have heard this too. My friends that are HIV+ or who have AIDS do not smoke anything now because of this.

I've found conflicting info online about the immune system and herb. This is just about smoking herb and not about vaporizing or eating it in a dessert.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art5021.html#immune

http://www.aidsinfonet.org/fact_sheets/view/803

If you have a compromised immune system avoid using poppers/amyl since they can weaken your immune system.

GreenLeaf,

gb902

Vaporog
So I believe that a "normal" user (without certain patologies) don't have to worry about it, it seems to be one of many theories emphasized to be used against MJ...

gb902,

aero18

vaporist
Studies have concluded that smoked cannabis is an immunosuppressant. That's commons sense (in regard to the particulates/toxins in the smoke).

I have yet to see any that concluded that vaporizing or oral consumption has caused the same thing. Do you have links?

aero18,

fylgja

I have an OVER active immune system. My IGE antibody count is so high that allergy tests come up with me allergic to everything (except peanuts). If it does lower the antibodies in my blood it's doing me a favor, and anyone else who may have autoimmune diseases.

fylgja,

gb902

Vaporog
aero18 said:
Studies have concluded that smoked cannabis is an immunosuppressant. That's commons sense (in regard to the particulates/toxins in the smoke).

I have yet to see any that concluded that vaporizing or oral consumption has caused the same thing. Do you have links?
I don't have links at the moments, but... vaporizing and smoking and eating would be the same thing, because the immunosuppressant effect is caused by THC, not by particulates/toxins in the smoke. But probably, all the bad stuff in the smoke will worsen the effect.

gb902,

luchiano

gb902 said:
aero18 said:

I don't have links at the moments, but... vaporizing and smoking and eating would be the same thing, because the immunosuppressant effect is caused by THC, not by particulates/toxins in the smoke. But probably, all the bad stuff in the smoke will worsen the effect.
Cannabis has more chemicals than THC including beta-Carophyllene and they lower inflammation which is most likely the cause of allergies and other health related problems.

If you look at most diseases chronic systemic inflammation is the common theme. TIME magazine did a big article on this is around 2004/2005

luchiano,

DaProfessor

I've been trying to find research related to using cannabis to treat allergies. I've only been able to find one study that focused on treating chronic dermatitis (eczema) using ointments containing THC or a synthetic analog of THC. It reduced the occurrence of outbreaks, on average, by 50%. After reading this and a few other studies concluding that cannabis contains anti-viral and anti-inflammatory compounds, I had an idea.

I have moderate nasal allergies. I usually take a 24-hour anti-histamine every morning to manage the symptoms. I usually vape at night to help me sleep. I started to exhale my hits through my nose, so maybe some cannabinoids will be absorbed in the mucus membranes and small capillary vessels in the nasal passage. I've been doing this every night for the past week, and I only have slight nasal allergy symptoms. Definitely better than baseline (no meds). Very un-scientific, but it seems to be working. I'll see how long I can go without needing to use traditional treatment.

DaProfessor,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Here's a couple

1. Cannabinoids and the immune system: Potential for the treatment of inflammatory diseases?
Journal of Neuroimmunology, Volume 166, Issues 1-2, September 2005, Pages 3-18
J. Ludovic Croxford, Takashi Yamamura

2. Journal of Neuroimmunology
Volume 184, Issues 1-2, March 2007, Pages 127-135
Inflammation, Neurodegeneration and Neuroprotection in the Central Nervous System

3. Endocannabinoid signalling as an anti-inflammatory therapeutic target in atherosclerosis: does it work?
Cardiovasc Res, December 1, 2009; 84(3): 341 - 342

4. M Di Filippo, L A Pini, G P Pelliccioli, P Calabresi, and P Sarchielli
Abnormalities in the cerebrospinal fluid levels of endocannabinoids in multiple sclerosis
J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, November 1, 2008; 79(11): 1224 - 1229.

There are a lot of published peer reviewed articles on cannabis out there; some in more prestigious journals than others, but these generally aren't the sorts of articles that get referred to when cannabis gets talked about on the news, by law enforcement officials, law makers or people in the legal profession. You can easily find this information on scholar.google.com and search bu journal, subject or author. Articles generally cost money to see/view/etc. If you work at, or know someone who has access to a university library you can probably get the articles for free.

As far as trustworthiness goes, I'd put peer reviewed articles, short communications, abstracts and conference (peer reviewed. open membered, structured, regulated) presentations above *any* unsupported statement that anyone who has a vested interest in maintaining marijuana prohibition offers (including, but not limited to judges, elected officials, law officers, hysterical parents, religious groups, lawyers, employers, neighbors, banks, insurers).

Eh, you get the point. Sorry for rambling.

Tom

tdavie,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
fylgja said:
I have an OVER active immune system. My IGE antibody count is so high that allergy tests come up with me allergic to everything (except peanuts). If it does lower the antibodies in my blood it's doing me a favor, and anyone else who may have autoimmune diseases.
So, in your opinion, you believe it would help someone like me? I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Vicki,

DaProfessor

tdavie said:
I'd put peer reviewed articles, short communications, abstracts and conference (peer reviewed. open membered, structured, regulated) presentations above *any* unsupported statement that anyone who has a vested interest in maintaining marijuana prohibition offers (including, but not limited to judges, elected officials, law officers, hysterical parents, religious groups, lawyers, employers, neighbors, banks, insurers).
Thanks for the journal refs, Tom. Downloaded and put them on my e-reader for later. I completely agree with your point of view of trusted data/statements. I just have to remind myself that science can be wrong sometimes, but that the scientific method is open to being corrected. That is the most endearing part of scientifically collected knowledge, its always open for correction and improvement. You have to come to your own conclusions sometimes.

DaProfessor,

wthanna

Vicki said:
fylgja said:
So, in your opinion, you believe it would help someone like me? I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor - this is personal opinion / experience not medical advice :)

You can make a nice topical balm using coconut oil and abv or fresh bud.. It can best be made in a crockpot, the same way that many people make their butter, using the butter and water method, only substitute the coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature). Very soothing to arthritic hands, feet, etc. ;)

wthanna,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
wthanna said:
Vicki said:
fylgja said:
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor - this is personal opinion / experience not medical advice :)

You can make a nice topical balm using coconut oil and abv or fresh bud.. It can best be made in a crockpot, the same way that many people make their butter, using the butter and water method, only substitute the coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature). Very soothing to arthritic hands, feet, etc. ;)
Nice, thank you. :)

Vicki,

Rick

Zapman
My comments are entirely unscientific and anecdotal as is usually the case.
After close to 44 years of mostly smoking very regularly I can say my immune system is in excellent shape. I justt don't seem to get sick or get colds hardly at all and if I do, they go away fast. I am fairly sheltered society-wise since we are very rural but I do have 3 young grandsons we are around, closely, and often.
I don't know what the MJ does but I am convinced it has a positive effect on overall health. Maybe it is because we are laughing and happier more of the time? Maybe it is because we know ourselves better, generally? I have found folks who do not like MJ will say "I don't like to get close to anybody(or myself)" Maybe it is because we are all crossing the line just a little(except legal medical people) and that triggers a part of us that feels good?
I guess I am saying that PART of our immune system well being is related to our life attitude. If we are confused, so is our immune system. MJ, in spite of years of opposite hoopla from the establishment, helps us to NOT be confused. I also believe attitude adjustment can help overcome immunodeficiencies in some ways. Often, when around folks who are sick alot, I cannot believe where they put their heads on a daily basis.
Just part of the answer. I think years from now we will be saying that several generations of folks got fucked up from all the LEGAL drugs made and marketed and sold to everyone(almost). There is one illegal drug that will save the world though.

Rick,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
My feeling is that often people get sick not just from being exposed to an illness, but because they are run down in some way. Stress is the thing that IMO runs people down the most. MJ helps alleviate a lot of stress and the resulting symptoms, so maybe that is why it helps with the immune system. Laughing and being happy in general help tremendously too. A positive attitude can do wonders. Add a little mj, you've got a winning recipe. It has been shown to help topically, emotionally, and some times, physically. The negative points made against mj seem to be issued by the same people who want it to stay illegal.

For me, the choice is clear. I can use a natural substance (mj), or a chemical that might be proven harmful in the future. MJ wins every time.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i agree with the last two posts ... imho ALL disease/illness comes from stress -- at least mine does ... my body picks the weakest body spot to manifest it. 30 minutes a day on the NordicTrack and mj takes care of it for me. For the most part.

Hippie Dickie,

grimble82

my immune system definatly suffers after smoking cannabis, and even worse after vaping, but i strongly believe its more due to even small amounts of mold!

grimble82,

Raf007

Retailer
even worse after vaping ?? first time i read that .

If I may ask, what leads you to say that ?

Raf007,

aero18

vaporist
gb902 said:
aero18 said:

Any updates?

EDIT: Some studies I have found refer to THC's immunosuppressive abilities.

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/JOPD_Immunity_Hollister_92.html

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a784493816

aero18,

etrone

yeah, i smoked about 12 years (ounce/day is minimum), i was sick about 4 times in year, now when i got ExtremeQ vaporizer my life got changed! i dont get sick from over 1 year or more, i feel so much better, start playing football again! this is preety what iam feeling, immuno-human system is destroying by many of toxins thats smoking (combustion) way is making - none of them or a little piece of them is maked by vaporizing, so maybe fact you are talking about is a testosterone production - testosterone a man hormone is less production when you are taking high (no matter of fact how smoking, vaping, eating...) so thc is killing testosterone as a fact. cheers

and testosterone - is a man power, maybe thats why you feels not so strong... sorry for my english

etrone,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
ive never actually tested my own blood or done anything like that...

...but before i used to use ganja (smoke or vape, although vaping is just a recent thing with me right now but i plan to keep this change), i used to get sick about 1 time a year very consistently (sometimes 2, but usually 1 time a year).

since ive started ganja, that figure has come down dramatically. i have gone even 2-3 years without any sickness (colds, flu, etc...). i have gotten sick once from some food poisoning...damn taco bell express in the ackerman building...

i feel like my immunity has improved actually, but that may be due to other lifestyle changes or the accumulation of good habits over time (the longer you commit to healthy changes, the more positive effects build up & are noticed).

anyways, just had to contribute that.

i also know a person who gets "sick" about every 2 weeks. i kind of think that it is something about this person's mind that is allowing them to make themselves believe that they are more prone to sickness...if that makes sense...in other words, its all in their head...

akwardsauce,

djonkoman

cannabis acts on the cannabinoidreceptors, the CB1 and CB2
CB1 are mostly in your brain and is wich gets you high
CB2 are in the immune system(among others I think)
echinaecea, a herb commonly used as a cure for colds, contains an active ingredient wich also acts on the CB2-receptors(but not on CB1, so you don't get high from it)
so logically weed should have the same effect as echinaecea

djonkoman,
Top Bottom