Candies

MacRadish

http://www.intotheoven.com/p1167/1-3/4"-Maple-Leaves-Chocolate-Mold/product_info.html

I grabbed one of those along with some lollipop and breakaway molds at the local cake shop. Eh, it's a leaf, albeit Maple.

I was surprised to see all kinds of hard candy making stuff at the local Hobby Lobby which offers a 40% off coupon each week for one single item. I grabbed a two pound Lorannoils starter kit for a few bucks.

My first test batch will be with 1/2 dram of tangerine oil and 1/2 g bho. No coloring.

MacRadish,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Mac, I didn't pick up the tangerine flavoring because i didn't think it would be strong enough to mask the abv flavor. But it is one of my favorites, so please report back with the results. Is the BHO strongly flavored? I'd never even heard of it until i stumbled across this website.

This weekend, two girlfriends and I will be making some more candies - this time with some fresh in addition to the abv. a group effort for more potent candies!

The mint chocolate chip flavoring worked nicely, but I'm thinking Hot Cinnamon Flavor this time - with some pearl dust for sparkle befitting these magical candies. :)

Hopefully this time i will not end up with taffy and I will figure out how to pour neatly into those little gem molds.

herbgirl,

MacRadish

herbgirl said:
Mac, I didn't pick up the tangerine flavoring because i didn't think it would be strong enough to mask the abv flavor. But it is one of my favorites, so please report back with the results. Is the BHO strongly flavored? I'd never even heard of it until i stumbled across this website.

This weekend, two girlfriends and I will be making some more candies - this time with some fresh in addition to the abv. a group effort for more potent candies!

The mint chocolate chip flavoring worked nicely, but I'm thinking Hot Cinnamon Flavor this time - with some pearl dust for sparkle befitting these magical candies. :)

Hopefully this time i will not end up with taffy and I will figure out how to pour neatly into those little gem molds.

I had a change of heart and decided my first ever batch of hard candy should be made by the book so I can get a handle on the procedure. I used the Lorannoils starter kit and made a 1 pound batch of Butter Rum candy using the gem molds, a lollipop mold (for the disc shape) and that Maple leaf mold. It all came out just fine! I think the candy makers funnel with operating cork would make the pouring into the molds a breeze. What I did was to preheat a Pyrex measuring cup in the oven and when candy was @ 300 degrees poured the liquid into the measuring cup so I can have a controlled pour into the molds using the cup.

Sadly though, the resulting pile of hard candy pieces represents, to me, two+ cups of sugar (remember, there is corn syrup too), which kind of took the excitement out of it all. The Eagle Brands "Magic Cookie Bar" recipe I use for my ABV syrup calls for one entire can of sweetened condensed milk and two cups of choc chips and yet the resulting pile of 18 cookies does not look as offensive, to me. Another thought, I enjoy my cookie(s) with a glass of milk which I understand helps with the entire *process* wrt to fat molecules and all that. I wouldn't enjoy milk with candy, or vice versa.

However, I do intend to make at least one batch of active candy with the tangerine and bho and will report back.

MacRadish,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
:doh:
candy maker's funnel!
even the ladies at the cake store weren't sure how i would get the sugar syrup into the molds because the wells have such a small capacity.
i'll have to call them and order in one, it will be helpful for my horehound cough drops as well.

herbgirl,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
So, girls night making candies was a blast even though one of the girls had to drop out at the last minute. I was a bit worried that that would affect our potency. not a problem.

yeah, the batch of Hot cinnamon had 15 g of abv, a gram or two of fresh, both tinctured and reduced, added to the microwave candy recipe with 1 dram lorrann cinnamon oil (twice the recommended amount, actually) silver dust and red powdered food coloring. very pretty. and very tasty. and very :ko: My goal was to make a dose 2-6 candies, just because all parties involved in the joint effort have wildly different tolerance levels. I got as close as i could given the fact that the molds did not work out.

Since we took too long to pour in the tincture, we had to hurry up and get it onto silpat, there was no way we could have filled all those little gems before it hardened. As it was, we must have had at least 3/4 cup that remained in the measuring cup. I added some boiling water to this to dissolve it and ended up with a very sweet and cinnamony (and shimmery) liquid. added the shot or so of grain alcohol that i was using to get the last traces of stuff off the bowl we used to evap the tinctures down. Ended up with about 1.5 cups of this stuff. This is some POTENT stuff and it is QUICK too, tastes kinda like a less harsh goldschlager. I estimate that a generous shot = one candy. I had three shots last night and it kicked in in maybe 15 minutes. also had one candy that escaped the bag as we were packaging a few hours earlier and some of the stuff that i chipped off the outside of the measuring cup (waste not want not :) ). i estimate maybe five candies total over the course of 1.5 hours or so. :brow: :p

:o :o i mean really, it was perfect. :cool:
best ones yet, less stoney than the first batch, not chewy like the second batch. very tasty, and just right effect wise. slept like a frickin baby last night. not feeling it this morning like with the brownies.

Thanks to the input of the FC Candy crew, it only took me three batches to get it right!! So THANKS ALL! i'm sure that goes for my girlfriend and her (apparently *very happy* husband :lol: ) as well.
I am either getting a candy funnel or a breakaway mold for next time, but other than that I feel like i've nailed it!

*edit* just dumped two shots of that cinnamony liquid in a cup of apple cider and it is *AWESOME* both in taste and effect. and super quick too, i can't get over how fast it hit me. so pleasant. gonna go pull a 375 on the ion to round it out.
looks like cleaning up the garden for the fall will be very very fun today ;)

herbgirl,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thank you herbgirl for all of your feedback. I haven't tried cinnamon flavoring yet, only the mint. The strength of my batches seems to vary every time so I can't say I have it completely down yet. But between all of us, we'll conquer this yet. Seems like you are well on your way. ;)

momofthegoons,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I've been getting great results with cinnamon flavor. Next up I'm trying lemon! I'm just not a mint fan. My sister made a batch of root beer flavored and said the flavor was really good.

This last batch I decided to see if I could really make them stronger. I took about 4-5oz. of tincture (mix of swamp & golden) and reduced it in a saucepan down enough to be able to stuff it into the recipe (about 1.5oz).

I also stopped using the plastic wrap in the microwave and have been using a paper plate with great results.

Anyhow... gave my sister some candy yesterday. Woke up to a message: "HOLY SHIT STRONG CANDY"

She ate 3 little hexagon pieces last night and said she was still feeling it this morning.

If you haven't ventured into the hard candy - you should! Really easy and very fun stuff!!

Lo,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
I have two standard sized dropper bottles of homemade glycerin tincture...I think theres about 10 teaspoons in each bottle, and the dosage is 2-3 tsps for a nice high. These were made in august and have been stored in a cool dark place since, I really want to make lollipops, and the above recipe, that just contains sugar, corn syrup and optional color/flavoring seems easy, my question is, how do i dose this, and how much of my tincture should I use?

PhishCactus,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Phish, i have no idea how you would get glycerin into a candy, i've just done it with alcohol based stuff.

for dosing i divide the amount of tincture (ml) by the amount of candies - that way you at least know how much is in each, if not how strong it is.

if you do give it a shot with the glycerin, please let us know how it goes. I understand that glycerin tincture can get wicked powerful as it sits.

herbgirl,

Lo

Made a couple more batches of super strength candy last weekend. Packaged & labeled to share with some friends. The labels were a hit :D

The lemon flavor is nice but I'm still preferring the cinnamon.

Lo,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
How would shipping candies such as these work? I am planning on making candies with my next batch of AVB, and like Lo, would love to share some with friends. A good number live out of state and I'm wondering if shipping these would be dangerous. Is there a noticeable odor to them?

AgentofChaos,

anivape

Thanks Vapenstien's Monster, and everyone, for these ideas and tips

I bought a three pack of Lorann Oils Rock Candy Kit,
followed the directions, and added GD at the time you add the included flavor.
They come out pretty good. I'm playing with how much GD can be folded into the recipe.
maybe 200ml is too much, cause that came out not so "crack" hard.
my 3rd and 4th batches with around 50-150ml GD, are better.

I want to dial in strength of GD and percentage of dose per candy
each batch comfortably fits two molds 8x8, that makes 128 candies
a typical eyedropper is what @ 1ml? , if I can get my GD to be "nice" at one dropper,
and then try to fold into the batch a good 130ml strong GD...
or a percentage of this, I can begin to maybe get some constancy..
Also, I think I'll try a batch with xylitol, instead of suger, a little healthier maybe..
:peace:

AgentofChaos, yes these homemade ones can have a little funny smell, depending on how strong.
Recently a buddy of mine traveled internationally with a personal supply of dispensary bought candy.
He didn't have problem, ymmv..

anivape,

Vapenstien's Monster

Couple things,.. If your candy wasn't to the 'crack' stage, you likely didn't get it hot enough. I have started using a surface temp thermometer and it is fantastic albeit a bit pricey for candy making.

you can boil off the majority of the liquid from your GD and use the sludge for your candy. Will be much stronger. You will want to add extra flavor extract because they will be STRONG

You can use GD at the start of the candy process in place of other liquid. ( This method is far safer, less chance of a flare up when you add the GD)

Sugar in itself is not that bad for you, baring diabetes etc. Xylitol will not set up like sugar does. It would be great for making gummy candies.... hmmmm gummie candies.....

Vapenstien's Monster,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
@anivape - Thanks for the info. I've tried making golden dragon a few times now and I haven't had successful results. My sister is getting married in Cabo next spring so hopefully by then I will have made a good batch and can bring the candies with.

@Vapenstien's Monster - How's HeadWize going?

AgentofChaos,

Yippie

Made some candies based on the recipe here, but had to substitute some brown simple syrup for the corn and opted for peppermint oil for flavor. Used a heat extracted alcohol tincture containing about 1g of fresh and and .25g of ABV poured into silicone molds to end up with 6 candies (trial). The candies themselves had some recrystallization, but a decent tasting product overall. With 1 1/4 candies, a new dimension was opened for several hours - this was much more than anticipated - holy shit. Need to try again by making lollipops and hope for better candy quality using a more accurate thermometer and real CS.

Thanks for the helpful posts.

Yippie,

Lo

Woot! Love to see people making the candies... I need to make more for a concert coming up.

I also reduce my tincture WAY down so I can cram as much of the goodies into the candies as possible. Lately I have settled on 3oz. of swamp water, 2 oz. of golden dragon and then I reduce that 5oz. down to about 1oz. or so to add to the candy recipe. After I started doing it that way I got a text from my sister that said "Holy shit, strong candy"

I have never tried the "brown simple syrup" but I do use raw, organic cane sugar in mine and it works very well.

Lo,

VaporEyeSore

Im loving this thread and would love to give it a go. However I can only find stuff about Green Dragon that has used buds to make it.
Could someone link or put a recipe in here for ABV tincture because i dont want to use buds for a first try and the idea of ABV sweets that have a good kick sounds awesome.

VaporEyeSore,
I nolonger want to do a glycerine tincture. Do you guys think this green sugar will work with avb? Can I use ISO instead of my 151 (since i can't get everclear in my state).

biojuggernaut,

Lo

I do think the sugar could be made with ABV and I'm really thinking about trying it BUT... I'd be hesitant to use ISO though it might be safe if completely evaporated. If you can't get Everclear I'd use high proof vodka or rum personally.

I do know I've watched Erik the Ruler's videos before, candies, etc. so I'm looking forward to trying the sugar recipe too :) Good luck!

Lo,
yeah, i think i may do it.

i have ~3 oz of avb in a liter of dominican 151 now. i figure it would be good to infuse all of it into enough sugar for 1 batch of candies. maybe keep temp down to 285 for a little softer chew
1 small candy should be good to go

maybe try a teaspoon in my coffee first. if that works i may not even bother making the candy. just a teaspoon of sugar on toast w/ pb. the possibilities are endless with this

thatsmokinguy,

Lo

lol.. I was already thinking of making cinnamon sugar for toast...too bad I'm off carbs :D ROFL!! Please report back with your results. Love to hear how it goes.

Lo,
Top Bottom