Brilliant Cut Grinder

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
Does anyone know offhand if Powdered Brewer's Wash (I think that's what PBW stands for...) has any negative interaction with aluminum? Just spit-ballin' here.
I know people use it on glass all the time, think I even remember people saying they cleaned their flowerpot shovelhead bowls??? but those are ss, aluminium is more reactive so it might affect it?? or discolour the anodization, I wouldn't think so though but can't remember any specifically using PBW on aluminum, anodized or not. but @RustyOldNail likely knows the answer, I remember him being a big proponent of PBW, though I think he later came to prefer using simple green for cleaning tasks.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I think it a stretcth to imagine someone going at one of these beauties with sandpaper..

That’s why I also mentioned Emory paper, but didn’t list polishing paper, which has tiny micron particles, the type Austin uses to POLISH his high end titanium stems. There are lots of ways to screw up a smooth polished surface, physically and chemically. What’s you hypothesis?

but @RustyOldNail likely knows the answer, I remember him being a big proponent of PBW, though I think he later came to prefer using simple green for cleaning tasks.

I only use PBW on my glass, but more often the SG, the one with no additives. I forget if it’s safe to use on aluminum, but I’m sure vapviking can find that information easy enough….

In case anyone is interested:

PBW DESCRIPTION:
P.B.W. is a buffered alkaline detergent that has been proven to be more than an effective substitute for caustic soda cleaners. Because of its unique formulation of buffers and mild alkalis, it is safe on skin as well as soft metals such as stainless steel, aluminum, and on plastics. P.B.W. uses active oxygen to penetrate carbon or protein soils and is not effected by hard water. The oxygen also helps in reducing B.O.D. and C.O.D. in wastewater, which is an added environmental benefit.
P.B.W. has been formulated as a C.I.P. cleaner and is very effective in removing protein soils found on brew kettles, fermenters, conditioning tanks, filters and all packaging areas. The concentrations to remove these soils are typically in the 1% range. However, due to soil and water conditions this concentration will vary. To help in hard water areas P.B.W. has been formulated with enough chelators to tolerate hard water over 17 grains.
PRODUCT TECH SHEET

P.B.W. is an excellent choice as a soak cleaner because it does not require excessive heat as do most caustic based cleaners. This product has cleaned brass and copper filters, and industrial aluminum surfaces successfully.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Don’t use PBW on anodized aluminum. It’ll wreck the finish.

Old post:

CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE OF
ANODIZED ALUMINUM:

Bad Dog

see, I knew you would know @RustyOldNail , or at the very least what to word for a google search 😉. sorry to make work for you though 😅 been gone a good while but still remember the vast store house/repository of knowledge you are :bowdown:

Bad Dog

I then cleaned it a bit with dish soap (Dawn) and it came out smooth again. YMMV.
from cleaning grinders to saving baby ducks, what can't you do dawn?❤️

except for being ethical 🤔????? what ??? says at the very beginning it was for demonstration purposes , ie they covered that baby duck in oil for the commercial 😱, savages ! but at least the soap works :rofl::razz:. good to see you @Stu , when I saw you posted in the thread I thought the man was coming to pimp slap me with a warning for being a smelly jerk :shit: :uhoh: . phew I'm safe! now I can go back to acting normal now :tinfoil: , nothing to see here ..........

vapviking

Old & In the Way
There are lots of ways to screw up a smooth polished surface, physically and chemically. What’s you hypothesis?
My first thought (and hope) is that yeah, in this case it just needs some more cleaning, and as I originally suggested I would do that with iso alcohol followed by mild detergent (thumbs up to Dawn, Save the Ducks!).
Here I will say my experience is similar to @Stu's; for me there is often, even on glass, a film, or perceived residue left behind after an iso wash (or thorough wipe) and that seems to go away with the detergent wash and some amount of water rinse. I have wondered if this is more a factor of the 99% iso I have used for a few years now. Is it too strong?

If 'normal' cleaning is not effective, and based on the description we have,
I'll divide the possibilities into two classes. The first as I said, just seems less likely to me and that is that someone used an abrasive, something too "scratchy" whether it be emery paper, Comet, steel wool, whatever, to try mechanically eroding perceived buildup on the surface. Not a scientific hypothesis, just a matter of where I'm guessing likelihood lies.

The second classification I would broadly call solvent/detergent/cleaning agent type stuff, something used in an attempt to "wash" or "dissolve" the perceived buildup away. Anything from hot water to iso alcohol to PBW, etc, etc. on up to Simple Green, or a zillion other possibilities. Since I'm not a metallurgist, I don't know enough to make a list of the things that can damage anodized aluminum, but some googling has shown me there could potentially be a long list. (I read one article describing 15 types of aluminum corrosion, for example!) Great rabbit-hole fodder...
And the Google even led me back around to FC, to the conversation @RustyOldNail pasted (above) from 2015, in a different grinder thread!

Without citing sources, 'cause it made me dizzy, I read in one place that anodized aluminum should not be subject to a ph outside the range of 4 to 9, over or under, a Goldilocks type thing. And another that told me PBW dissolved in water has a ph of 11.2, so I just don't know...
And I don't care to be a metallurgist, so I just load another bowl and vape on...

We've still got 2 months to postulate, speculate, ruminate and regurgitate, but there's a large amount of stuff we just don't have the information on, so I propose we load another bowl and vape on.

Bad Dog

Yep there’s all sort of things it could be, but it being second hand there’s no way to know exactly what was or was not done to it. What I said here 👇 could very well be true.
no saying what they did to it while it was in there possession, including if they cleaned it with something that has deposited a residue that has left a film of some kind, they may have only cleaned the inside before sending it to you, and what they used to clean it might not have been iso, rubbing alcohol or grain alcohol. They could have used any sort of product that cleans, but might not be safe if it leaves a residue.
Or the seller could have only used isopropyl alcohol and nothing else, who’s to say :shrug:. And this that the OP that sparked this discussion themselves said this 👇
Yes the inside feels rough/raw/sticky, from the first moment I've got it, while the outside feels smooth like I expected it to feel.
But our expectations are not always the reality that we experience when we actually get/experience something. And the flat surface of the bottom of the herb chamber and rounded outside even if identical in composition and without any damage/residue will feel slightly different than each other simply because of the very geometry of the surface. And just because something doesn’t meat our expectation doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it, and everyone has different expectations so they can’t all be right or wrong. And the language (not even dialect) we use to describe our experience, does not always line up with how someone else would describe/word something, even if we agree something is abnormal.

there’s too many variables at play here with no way to really confirm what is the reality, even a photo would be useless unless there is real physical damage to see but if it looks ”normal” and the problem is simply tactile, there’s no way to confirm or deny without another party touching it, and weather that second party agrees or not depends on their own expectations/experience and since this problem may very well be a expectation/preference/what we expect should be and everyone can have a different opinion, that’s not a perfect system either……………

but this is the smartest recommendation I’ve heard
we just don't have the information on, so I propose we load another bowl and vape on.
Of course that very act leads to many of these issues/problems/debates here on FC about perceived “problems“ lol. Still when I don’t have the answer or can convince someone of my argument/position, that really is the best advice 👍. Vape 💨 on FC, for many of our problems/concerns are inconsequential in the grand scheme of life, so take enjoyment in what you can, while you’re here on this pale blue dot 🔵

✌️

Pinte

except for being ethical 🤔????? what ??? says at the very beginning it was for demonstration purposes , ie they covered that baby duck in oil for the commercial 😱,
FWIW, they didn't actually use oil on the baby duck.

Pinte,

Bad Dog

Was something of a joke @Pinte , just my way of being playful, you should never neglect your inner child 👦. Not many rodeos left for this old farmboy, best to get your laughs in while you able. I’m hardly a person that should be taken seriously for much of what I say. life can be a joke, so have a lark and chuckle along 😆

edit: FWIW, they didn't actually use oil on the baby duck.

as the old adage goes believe half of what you see and non of what you hear. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt 🧂.

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Fine was my favourite for small bowls and small bowls were my usual preference but course was better for larger bowl, loosely packed for good airflow. Course was a bit smoother and more flavourful ime with my flowerpot and a more enjoyable experience, just a little slower to vape 💨

EarthworldTim

I wound up grabbing a factory second coarse from the last 420 sale. I really love it for the higher end smalls nugs I get because they seem to crumble much easier. They aren't dry but they're unlike some of the other moist nugs in that they don't shred and just kind of crumble easier.

I will say the "orange" they offer is more of a brass or bronze looking color but it doesn't bother me.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I’ve had my stainless steel BCG for a little over 6 months, and cleaned it for the first time today. I run at least a gram of 30+% weed and about a third of that in CBD flower which is a tougher grind every day. And it wasn’t that dirty.

A couple of minutes in ISO, washed with Dawn, rinsed and dried. And it looks brand spanking new.

It’s a hefty price for a grinder. But I’ll be able to leave this to someone after I croak and it could probably get a century’s worth of use.

Top Bottom