Boundless Tera

cheeseholidays

Though I don’t dislike the Tera, I think I’m going to return it.

As we go on I’m just not OK with how Boundless is handling (or not handling) the issues the community has surrounding the device. The more that comes up, and they’re just radio silent.

I will also say that the vapor is just too hot, too often. I’ve found glass mouthpiece isn’t really super usable in a practical sense because of this. This is despite my initial preference for it.

Performance-wise, I think a somewhat more “convectiony” Arizer with a significant shorter vapor path like is probably a fairly accurate way to describe it. I think this is the only vape I’ve used where I literally can’t even tolerate it at max temp. It’s just too much. I have a couple other full convection vapes and this does not give a terribly similar experience in my opinion. It honestly reminds me most of an Arizer with an impossibly short vapor path.

On the other hand, I can totally see this doing very well through water as Troy found. You can tell there’s a lot of power there. Water pieces aren’t my thing, so it feels kind of compromised for my use. I did not try concentrates.

My two cents.

SpudBob

Also this being a true convection vape, residue or material in the bowl should not be heated to any kind of vaporization temperature. Unless air is being drawn across the heater and through the material.
Anytime you heat material there is a decent chance that some of the residue will remain in the bowl and even drain into the heater. When I say drain I don't mean a lot but will, most definitely, end up down there. In small doses it is quite opaque. I have convection vapes that over time have buildup that can, certainly, be seen. This material will vaporize upon heating if I don't regularly clean the vape. Just sayin.......

Slickwilly

Puffitup received my Tera yesterday waiting to hear what they came up with.
Any suggestions on a vape with removable 18650 battery or batteries in it? Gonna need to find use for the new Sonys and charger I got for the Tera which I'll probably not be needing.
Looking for something smaller and more discrete to travel with then my mighty, I liked the Tera size and what I saw of its performance.

Catweasel

Check this....

https://www.reddit.com/r/BoundlessV...just_got_back_to_me_about_my_tera_dissection/

A discovery was made when they dissected my Tera. They gave me a bunch of info but I'll let them tell it when they discover all the ins and outs. PiU plans to post a video soon regarding the issues
First I've ever heard about putting chamber screens in, wow! I get my replacement tera tomorrow so I hope by then things will be clear whether I should keep it or not.

AlpineDad

I did not add an additional screen, nor am I even sure where it goes.

I imagine me only using S&B dosing capsules is the reason I have had zero issues. At least now I can stop doing daily burn offs.

Boundless Vape Technology

Manufacturer
Hey guys, I posted this on a comment of one of the Tera off-gassing threads. I will leave it here as I feel it deserves a separate post -

To be as transparent with you as possible, this past week I had to view and secure an apartment in California as I am currently in the process of moving from Oregon to California, as well as travel to Florida and back for a business meeting. I have also been actively testing our current stock of Tera units while trying to communicate and confirm details with our factory overseas. The time difference does cause some unfortunate delays and I hope to clarify some information with you all.

As I have stated, we have been testing units at our California office and there have been no reports of off-gassing with these units. What I think may be happening is that the latest reports of off-gassing are bits of herb that have been trapped under the stainless steel chamber. There are 5 stainless steel chamber screens that are included with the Tera. These chamber screens add a layer of separation from the bottom of the herb chamber and the internals of the unit. It also prevents bits of herb particles from getting stuck under the stainless steel chamber. Here is a video demonstrating how to insert the chamber screen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0233ovqnv51hfwx/20180427_105444.mp4?dl=0

This is what I believe is happening, but we still need to verify with sources as our office does not have any of these newly reported off-gassing units to inspect.

Unfortunately, it has been tougher than usual for me to respond quickly and I do realize this and sincerely apologize for the lack of communication. This weekend I am heading back to Oregon to gather my belongings and plan to be at the Boundless office every day starting May 3rd. If you have any questions please feel free to email me - Eric@bndlstech.com.

Seriously FFC

So I'm pretty active on Reddit and have been lurking here for a while, but someone referenced my Reddit post about the Tera and I thought it was finally time to make an account here and talk about my experience with the Tera.

So, that being said, here we go.
I ordered my Boundless Tera from PiU after I got the email that the new units were officially in stock. As always, Puffitup is amazing and they had crazy fast shipping. I opened the box, charged the batteries, confirmed the updated WPA, and when the batteries were fully charged, I checked for the screen flip to confirm it was in fact the new unit... It was.
I then proceeded to do my burn offs which I did on concentrate mode. There was a slight plastic smell, but no off gassing or anything like that. I figured the plastic smell was essentially a "new car smell." After 3 burn offs, the smell went away and I thought everything was good. (Didn't notice any gases during burn offs.)
That night, I proceeded to load it up with medium grind bud and the flavor was great. Vapor production was stellar and I got high AF. At this point, I was having no issues. I shared the experience with my boyfriend and he was also blown away by how good the Tera was doing... Flavor/vapor production/airflow/etc.
Later in the evening, we ripped through another bowl. Same performance.

The next night, the first bowl worked like the previous ones. It did an awesome job.
(Now at this point, I should probably say how I was using it. I already mentioned that I was using dry herb, and I personally like to start on lower temps. My method is, first 3 pulls are at 365°F, next 2 pulls are at 375°, 2 pulls at 385°, stepping up every 2 pulls until I'm at max temp for dry herbs.)
I don't have concentrates, so the only time I used the concentrate mode was during burn offs. On the 4th and final bowl, I had the temp set at 365°like always. The flavor seemed way off. That was my first indication. On the second hit from the 4th bowl, the favor still seemed off and this time, I exhaled way more cloud than should have been there. It was dense and white, similar to what you would get from an ecig, but not quite the volume of sub ohm clouds. It was definitely not normal. I immediately emptied the bowl and dry swabbed it so that there was no crumbs in the chamber. I heated it up, took a mouth hit, and a cloud of vapor puffed out... More cloud than from a normal packed bowl from any other vape, and the bowl was empty. I started to get a headache, so I stopped all use of it and switched over to another vape. The headache lasted for the rest of the night. The following morning, I did another burn off on concentrate mode and it smelled really bad. After it cooled off, I swabbed the chamber, with ISO and did another burn off. Same off gassing issue. By this time, I had already contacted PiU and they sent me a return label to send it back. Before boxing it up, I unscrewed the bottom plate and swabbed the entire internal air path tube with a qtip. After knowing that the internal air tube was clean and the bowl chamber was ISO cleaned and dry-wiped I did another burn off. It still had the bad smell and light whisps of vapor were coming out. At that point, I had done everything I could to clean it and make it work, but the problem persisted. I boxed everything up and sent it back to PiU. They should be receiving it today. Hopefully they will replace it with a working model. I love my Tera and would hate to see it get recalled a second time. (I never tried the first version.) All in all, when it worked, this device was amazing, but that off gassing is a real issue. The headache was also real. I'm a pretty techy girl, so I don't mind taking things apart to fix an issue. I do it with my racing quads and and gliders all the time, and they have way more engineering in them than a vape. I'm not willing to do a teardown on my own vape as I'm relatively broke, but if anyone has an extra faulty "newer" unit lying around, I can attempt to strip it down to determine what the real issue is. I just don't want to void any warranty that I might have.

Side note: Really sorry this post was so long, I just wanted it to be as detailed as possible since I don't have any video proof. I hope it's not a mass production issue and just a few isolated events.

Dont be sorry this is the greatest news I've heard in awhile thank you for sharing

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Thank you! I've been trying to keep everyone in the loop with everything on here since all the stuff with PiU was taking place through Reddit. They are still doing some thorough testing and my Tera had been disassembled for science. I'm hoping the new one they send me will be flawless!

shaolinmilk

It looks like it has been used for 2 years, there looks like a gram of reclaim in the oven, no wonder it was `gassing'.:suspicious:
Well I ran it for about 45 mins or so and it was still doing that. If the bud or reclaim was still "vaping" after such a long period, it must mean it went past vapor territory and closer to combustion. And I didn't mention this, but when I sniff the vapor that's emitting, I get a headache.

P.S. In the two years I've had the CFX, I honestly only used it about 20-30 times.

subway13029

Yeah i believe that solves the girls issue was the bud falling through..but what about the brand new units..i for one dont like doing empty burn ins on new devices..i dunno but imo it doesnt do well for devices to eun at 500 degrees over and over..but what do i know..

patzw

I'm very skeptical that bud falling inside the unit is the reason. Eric even says he doesn't know forsure. Some of the users who reported offgassing had not ran any bud through it yet.
Same here. Still too much guess work. I'm waiting to see what else Puffitup and POTV will report, if anything. In the end, I'm still about 95% sure I'll return my Tera. Have posted a slightly more in-depth reply to Eric over on the reddit topic I had started but I doubt any response he gives will make much of a difference. This entire prolonged situation is just causing too many worries and headaches.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
One thing I noticed with all the pics and video of units off-gassing, non have a mouth piece on. I am pretty sure you are meant to have the mouthpiece on while using/burning off for most units otherwise the heaters can work more than they were designed to and can cause damage like boiling the jug without water or running a microwave oven empty.

Koreanjesus

One thing I noticed with all the pics and video of units off-gassing, non have a mouth piece on. I am pretty sure you are meant to have the mouthpiece on while using/burning off for most units otherwise the heaters can work more than they were designed to and can cause damage like boiling the jug without water or running a microwave oven empty.
Thats a really interesting point when i recieve my new one ill make sure to burn off with the mouthpiece on

Catweasel

Finally got my new Tera, extremely relieved to have checked and seen that the display flips properly. Definitely wanted to do some burnoffs before I try a bowl, I've been blowing air in from the bottom intake to make sure to circulate any machining crud out but after 3 burnoffs on concentrate mode I haven't seen a wisp of any smoke or anything but hot air come out, even with my blinding aliexpress flashlight shining in. It smells mildly funky but not really any worse than I'd expect, gotta say I don't feel worried at this juncture. I guess I'll do a couple more burnoffs soon just to be sure, but then I'm gonna give it a go for realsies. Wish me luck~

Summer

Long Island, NY
I am pretty sure you are meant to have the mouthpiece on while using/burning off for most units otherwise the heaters can work more than they were designed to and can cause damage like boiling the jug without water or running a microwave oven empty.

Interesting thought.

Summer,
Reactions: BigJr48

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Interesting thought.

Maybe...but I ain't so sure that theory holds water.

In the years I've been active on this thread I don't recall anyone citing that as a real world concern, i.e., burn-offs without a MP attached. I would suggest that a burn-off minus a MP will allow the heat, and hence the residue, to heat and escape more quickly.

I'd recommend you, @LesPlenty contact the reseller, Boundless, on that question, and then if you will, report your findings here? :tup:

TIA

Top Bottom